• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The discussion on ps5 recently makes me believe that Sony fans are not happy with PS5 GPU but they are not honest about.

Vognerful

Xbox series x: microsoft decided to go as the strongest console from next generation. They still couldn't show significant software to demonstrate it's power. Still, you can't deny that on paper it has strength to argue.

PS5: while it's GPU spec is lesser than xbox series X, it still has big punch. However, Sony decided to have significant advantage on their io and SSD.

Prior to nvidia show, there were many comments by gamers who preferred PS5 over XSX that the difference is insignificant and that the higher TF of XSX won't show on games. They also argued that advantages of SSD and io will blow XSX (and pc, mind you) out of the water.

Yet, there were many comments even by hardcore Sony fans that they are waiting for the PS5 "pro" to release with increased GPU performance. Adding to the current meltdown and increased posts that compares the new nvidia cards with PS5, it is very clear to me that from start ps5 fans are not satisfied with the GPU performance and can't wait for Sony to upgrade their spec.

On the other hand , xbox fans have accepted the disadvantage they have o. The ssd part and their biggest complaint is on the exclusive software part (where Sony is hitting it out of the park).

geordiemp

r1sOjFY.gif

llLeonhart

Gold Member
What are you talking about, dude? I didn't see anyone that got disheartened by Nvidia's announcement. You're also comparing PS5 and XSX, and let me tell you, that difference in TF is going to be pretty negligible, is not even as big a difference of power as the PS4 to One, or the XoX to the Pro. Relax dude.

GymWolf

I was let down by the ps5 gpu, always being open about that.

yes i have a pc and i can't play the majority of games over there, doens't mean that i hate the idea of horizon 2 with 12-15 tf under the ass.

it's pretty simple, if 10 are good, more are better, but no, crybabies have to pay 500 dollars tops for a machine that it's gonna offer hundreds if not thousands of hours of entartainment for 6-8 years, but yeah i'm the unreasonable one here...

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Xbox series x: microsoft decided to go as the strongest console from next generation. They still couldn't show significant software to demonstrate it's power. Still, you can't deny that on paper it has strength to argue.

PS5: while it's GPU spec is lesser than xbox series X, it still has big punch. However, Sony decided to have significant advantage on their io and SSD.

Prior to nvidia show, there were many comments by gamers who preferred PS5 over XSX that the difference is insignificant and that the higher TF of XSX won't show on games. They also argued that advantages of SSD and io will blow XSX (and pc, mind you) out of the water.

Yet, there were many comments even by hardcore Sony fans that they are waiting for the PS5 "pro" to release with increased GPU performance. Adding to the current meltdown and increased posts that compares the new nvidia cards with PS5, it is very clear to me that from start ps5 fans are not satisfied with the GPU performance and can't wait for Sony to upgrade their spec.

On the other hand , xbox fans have accepted the disadvantage they have o. The ssd part and their biggest complaint is on the exclusive software part (where Sony is hitting it out of the park).

I personally think Xbox is the one that was put on notice by Nvidia, which is ironic since MS helped with the storage solution. However, I assume MS already was planning exiting the console market since they have everything they need on PC.

Price is the most important factor in consoles along with exclusive content.

What is annoying is PlayStation / Sony making statements about bringing ANY games to PC and being gullible or arrogant enough to think it will not hurt their sales.... even mentioning it undermines the strength of their hand.

The keys to the future are in PlayStations hands, with all the major publishers moving to GAAS. Including Crystal Dynamics and WB Games, there are going to be very limited AAA story driven games to chose from and Sony has many of the studios that will continue to do these games that are far too expensive for other companies.

If they want to solidify their position, they should acquire one of the major publishers that still make big single player games.... Zenimax would take Doom, Fallout, Elderscrolls and Wolfenstein off the table.

Then on PC you have EGS moving in aggressively against Steam and PlayStation will take other games off the Steam table, possibly leaving them with just a hundfull of big games over 5-6 years.

So in short, I am perfectly happy with the power for now but other issues are ambiguous and I would like to have them clarified.

If they are, they shouldn't be. Monster machines have never guarantees great games. It guarantees great numbers, bragging rights and all that stuff. I imagine that is what they might be most upset about, if they are at all, the dick measuring contest part of it.

Even in the face of better looking games, as of right now and I'm sure XSX will have some great looking games, throwing out that TF number is the counter to that 🤷‍♂️ I sometimes get the feeling that some "gamers" care more about specs than actual games which is a shame cause there are some great games on those "weaker" systems.

DonF

pcWmJz0.gif

Thats some dumb logic right there.

The release of the 3000 series by Nvidia should make every console fan not happy. That thing is going to rock, particularly the 3070, for $499 is going to be a beast and will clearly blow the next gen consoles out of the water, day fucking one.

No sony or microsoft fan. Every console fan.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I do wish it was more powerful. I would happily pay $600-700 for a very powerful PS5, or even a few hundred more than that. But the average person wouldn't.

I'm not worried about it compared to the XSX though. It's a 17% difference, MUCH smaller than current gen. Not gonna be noticeable at all most of the time.

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
The takes here on Gaf do not represent a “normal” view of PlayStation fans as most of the fans here have more knowledge, or like to think they do, about tech than the average fan. The average fan doesn’t know what a tflop is.

As long as Sony has studios like Insomniac, Sucker Punch, and Naughty Dog they will be just fine and I’d rather have these AAA studios and underpowered hardware than vice versa.

Talent>Hardware

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I dont think anyone with the intention of buying the PS5 is really happy about the GPU especifically, pero the PS5 is a lot more that just FLOPS, and it will be an amazing system nonetheless. So, no need to cry rivers.

Avantasia

Neo Member
Well I think that 10 vs 12 TF seems like a smaller number now after nVidias show.

Ps5 Will be great with a lot of fun games. I play games because it is fun, som extra pixels doesnt matte.

Azurro

Banned
The narratives here are kind of silly. I am not entirely happy with the PS5's GPU, but I don't think it's far behind the XSX's one either. As with everything, there are money and resources constraints and after the Unreal Engine 5 demo, it quelled all my doubts and after the reveal, it is clear it still delivers amazing visuals.

Of course, once a PS5 Pro shows up, I'll upgrade to that one.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Telling people what they feel and that they're not being honest about it -- that usually doesn't work out very well. I know, because I've done it at least a dozen times myself. Even if you're right, it just backfires.

Personally, I'd be glad if the PS5 had more teraflops, but I'm also happy with what they're offering. I know they have to keep costs down. You can't have everything. If PC guys have more flops, good for them, I hope they enjoy their extra flops. I don't game on PC, so that's sort of irrelevant to me.

Last edited:

Ulsterman

Neo Member

Fault in this logic is that you assume that Playstation fans care about xbox or PC.

Truth is, many could not care less.

Like if we are definetly buying PS5, why would it matter if another brand or 3000€ PC is faster?

Are you 5 year old that cries when friend have cooler shoes than you, or what? (Not meaning you personally, just people whom see PS5 / xbox some kind of rivals)

Nvidia cards wont make PS5 games any less enjoyable, even ps4 games look great so it can be only better.

And maybe super fast PC hardware makes devs to push consoles even more, win win

Last edited:
Top Bottom