• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Devs Behind Burnout Are Creating An Ambitious New Racer: Say hello to "Wreckreation"

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Wreckreation wants to be the "ultimate open-world sandbox experience for driving and racing fans alike", featuring a 400 square kilometres "racing realm" that you can create, shape and wreck in real time. You can design it on your own or with your friends online, and then compete to out-race, out-stunt or even out-crash each other.

Here's a bit more about Wreckreation courtesy of the official press release:

"Racing is awesome! Creating is awesome! So development studio Three Fields Entertainment, the team behind Burnout and Need for Speed, has combined these two elements in the upcoming Wreckreation. With the so-called live mix, you can build and alter your racing track while you (and some friends) are racing on it. Add a new curve, place a ramp to jump over - or just put a giant rubber duck in the way, it's up to you!"

If you're wondering where the Burnout influence comes in, Three Fields Entertainment was founded by Alex Ward, Fiona Sperry and Paul Ross back in 2014, all of which used to work at Criterion Games on Burnout and Need For Speed.

the-devs-behind-burnout-are-creating-an-ambitious-new-racer-for-xbox-1.large.jpg

the-devs-behind-burnout-are-creating-an-ambitious-new-racer-for-xbox-3.large.jpg

the-devs-behind-burnout-are-creating-an-ambitious-new-racer-for-xbox-2.large.jpg

the-devs-behind-burnout-are-creating-an-ambitious-new-racer-for-xbox-4.large.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks good but it's worrying they can't even render a trailer at proper 30fps as it is stuttering.
And I don't like the "oh so random, look a duck" angle. But still might be fun

Last edited:

Shifty

(Not representative of actual gameplay. You and I both know that last part would have ended in straight trolling under any kind of real world conditions.)

Pakoe

Gold Member
Doesn’t look bad but needs solid soft body physics. Looks kinda floaty as of right now but need to see more to be sure. When the van hit the car, hardly any damage was done.

Hopefully it's good, but I care way more about how the racing is than the create-a-track. Hoping it plays like Burnout because Burnout 3 and Paradise are 2 of my favorite racing games ever.

Fredrik

I'm sure it would be like GTA5s track builder in terms of ease of use.
I’ve actually never played GTA5… 🫣 And had no idea there were race tracks in it, even less track building.
Do the pieces lock? They do in FH5 Hot Wheels, which is great, but it’s still difficult to make the track smooth, you often end up with small bumps from where the pieces connect which mess up fast driving.

Three

I’ve actually never played GTA5… 🫣 And had no idea there were race tracks in it, even less track building.
Do the pieces lock? They do in FH5 Hot Wheels, which is great, but it’s still difficult to make the track smooth, you often end up with small bumps from where the pieces connect which mess up fast driving.
It has a snap like feature with some objects I think but you still get unsmooth builds.

Example speed build:

VN1X

Banned
Looks great and did anyone else get some big Stunts vibes from this? :messenger_smiling_hearts:

It had such a robust and impressive level editor for the time as well. Played it a ton.

Last edited:

drganon

Hopefully it's better than dangerous driving. That game was garbage. It's a shame in general how the arcade racing genre in general has nearly become extinct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom