• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The decline of the Tom Clancy games

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I was so mad when they changed Rainbow Six to where you couldn't slowly open doors/peak into a room.. use smoke grenades and turn your infra-red on.. MOTHA FUDGAS

I still find the games fun though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I kind of agree and are the Vegas games considered good? I remember having a blast with Vegas 1.

I generally agree that they should just not out his name on the crap they put out these days.

EDMIX

Breakpoint is now better than Wildlands. The updates basically made it Wildlands but without a drab environment and with a Performance mode on consoles. It's the better of the two now.

Edit: They also added the R6 operators to it as well.

Thats nice to hear. I didn't end up getting it or playing it, but anyone thats played it and likes it I have no issue with.

The biggest issue I even had when I first heard about Breakpoint was the whole online only. I get its a co-op game, but so was Wildlands, but it gave you that option to play online or offline with NPC. So I'm happy to hear that was changed to allow some offline mode, everything else looks better and I feel that initial response is what people will remember about this title unfortunately.

Derktron Derktron Even if it was simply licensed out, why would they "need to loose" it? Based on what grounds? They are moving the most units they've ever fucking moved so I see even if someone else owned it, it would be hard as fuck to convince them that Ubisoft is hurting them, you don't just sell 20 million units of a few titles and the person that owns the brand is just upset or something lol So even if they didn't own it, I don't see a lot of evidence that Ubisoft is hurting right now with this brand, like zero.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The biggest issue I even had when I first heard about Breakpoint was the whole online only. I get its a co-op game, but so was Wildlands, but it gave you that option to play online or offline with NPC. So I'm happy to hear that was changed to allow some offline mode, everything else looks better and I feel that initial response is what people will remember about this title unfortunately.
Well it’s still online but I only play with the R6 NPC team members.

EDMIX

Well it’s still online but I only play with the R6 NPC team members.

Really? I could have sworn some update happened for some offline mode.

edit. ok sounds like they called it something like offline mode, but its still online, but you can play solo or something.

They probably should have really just made a real offline mode imho

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
I kind of agree and are the Vegas games considered good? I remember having a blast with Vegas 1.
Not horrible, but not as good as the old ones. I would say the 2 main reasons were dumbing them down with the 3rd person sticky cover bs and freakin health regeneration...lol. A big
9i6wer3.gif
to that.

Especially in a supposed tactical shooter
YdvV1Yl.png

Last edited:
It's pretty much decline of whole Ubisoft where they became completly boring risk averse and microtransaction oriented company. Their whole output suffers from this.

rollright

Neo Member

I generally agree that they should just not out his name on the crap they put out these days.

Yes and no. Lockdown was so bad that literally anything that came after it would have been well received. More than Lockdown, Vegas tends to be thought of as the end of one series and the beginning of another. It's the point where R6 lost any pretense of being a game about tactics or planning and become another cover shooter in the crowd. It found a new audience that wasn't going to miss the old gameplay and succeeded on that basis.

There's really only one game in the series that merits a second look and it's Raven Shield. Unfortunately, Raven Shield is badly in need of a remaster and probably won't ever get one.

siege started out good when it was a tactical shooter, now its a hero/gadget shooter....absolute crap.....if you want a tactical tom clancy shooter, go player, zero hour or insurgency or ground branch.

R6 Siege is the best Clancy game by a mile, despite the fact that they've gone pretty goofy with the new characters over the years.

I loved the original R6 and Rogue Spear back in the day. Played the shit out of the co-op especially on LAN in college... but let's face it, as cool as the plan a counter terrorism operation gameplay was... it was pretty janky. You'd spend more time debugging your go-codes than actually thinking up a strategy. I'd love to play a modern take with good AI... but what do you know, today's AI broadly speaking in games is just as stupid as it was 20 years ago. Maybe even worse, since at least back then people tried to make AI work in a sandbox, now everything just seems so nauseatingly scripted.

But if you get past having to learn the game, and having to find 4 other like-minded people to play with... there's nothing quite like Siege. Easily 10x as tactical and engaging as any of the older R6 games. Yeah you have to develop some baseline competitive FPS skills c'est la vie.

As for the new GR BR. For one it doesn't really sound like a BR from what I've heard... though hey I love BR so if there's a proper BR mode so much the better... I think they are probably on the right track. BF2042 beta so far seems to be getting a bit of a tepid reception... and I kind of get it... You're in a 64v64 map, the stakes just don't matter. The real hook of BR is getting on with 2-3 friends and going you against the world in a sandbox. Emergent gameplay if you will.

Battlefield has too much running in circles trading capture points, one sided games where if you went 0-100 or 100-0 the end result would still be the same. I can enjoy BF conquest just on the fun of the gameplay a lot of the time. And if I have some friends on we can occasionally actually turn a game around but it tends to be more exhausting than fun when you go try-hard.

So yeah I'm rambling, but I think Ubi is just trying to make the types of games people actually want to play. I'm hoping they do a good job with their upcoming F2P slate. Looking forward to the new Ghost Recon, and maybe the Division... xDefiant is uhhh... ya know I can't say I'm optimistic there. And uhh the R6 Quarantine or Extraction or whatever it's called looks not great but I was never into the Left 4 Dead or COD Zombies horde mode stuff so whatever.

EDMIX

uhh the R6 Quarantine or Extraction or whatever it's called looks not great but I was never into the Left 4 Dead or COD Zombies horde mode stuff so whatever.

I thought it was called Quarantine too, but seems like they did change the name, maybe it was a code name or working title etc. So....it "was" called that I guess lol

Last edited:
I thought it was called Quarantine too, but seems like they did change the name, maybe it was a code name or working title etc. So....it "was" called that I guess lol

Quarantine is a bad word now because well... COVID-19. Oh crap now my post will be demonetized, RIP!

I'm pretty surprised I got both its old and new title correct.

Ubisoft has just become desperate trend chasers and will slap the tom clancy name on anything that could be considered a shooter

That said, I liked the division 2
It's not like Tom Clancy can complain. And his estate just cashes the cheques.

I'm starting to understand artists who burn their paintings before death.

Top Bottom