• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The decline of the Tom Clancy games

Ceadeus

Ubisoft gonna have to change really soon. Their whole library is getting too obvious and people are starting to be tired of it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It used to be when a game had the Tom Clancy branding you knew it was going to be amazing. How did we go from amazing games like this:

latest

58b32a5b15565_392671b.jpg
218570-tom-clancy-s-rainbow-six-3-xbox-front-cover.png

To dumbed down and mediocre stuff like this:
Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint

To stuff that is most likely going to be trash-tier like this:
tom_clancys_the_defiant_game_announcement-1068x558.jpg

As well as a new Ghost Recon game that jumps on the battle royale bandwagon several years too late?

What happened? I used to associate the Tom Clancy brand with amazing, trendsetting gaming. Now I associated it with out of touch boardroom executives who push low-quality junk on their "fellow kids".

I just hope they don't revive the Splinter Cell franchise. The last thing they need to do is ruin Sam Fisher's legacy.
Even with the cover art... you can know what game is awesome and what game is a piece of shit.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Im playing through breakpoint now with friends and were having a blast.

I wanted another story based GR but will give this one a try, also played wildlands, fc5, tons of r6 siege and division 1-2. There was fun to be had in all of them.

only wish splinter cell came back.

No chance id go back and play dated shooters from the early 2000s lol, theyre only good through nostalgia lens nowadays.

tsumake

Speaking of Splinter Cell, how does Blacklist fare? I got burned after realizing there were no real stealth options in Conviction. It seems like a “full package” game but every time I tried playing it, the mechanics never clicked with me like the previous titles.

tsumake

Why though? You've called it shit twice in this threat without elaborating.

I remember the whole Ubisoft Shanghai vs Montreal debate. I generally think Montreal did a better job with SC but the Shanghai titles were solid in retrospect. I remember the writing in Double Agent to be a step above previous titles.

Pandora Tomorrow is worth playing and being a part of the original trilogy.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
These games used to seem mature to me. Like I better straighten up if I’m going to turn off Spider-Man: Enter Electro and eff around with Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I like how they are like "decline" and those games probably moving more fucking units now, then 20 years ago.
Yup. Both Wildlands and Breakpoint were good.

R6 Siege is still very popular.

OP probably hasn’t touched a Clancy game in two gens.
Animated GIF

I like how people say "it sells 20 million units so it's good".

Loop Trump GIF

Or COD is the best game ever, Drake, Billie Eilish & Justin Bieber are the best artist in the World and produce the best music ever created because they sell millions too?
Also comparing the gaming market of 2020 to 2005 (on your other comments) is absolutely stupid.

Now I'm gonna copy/paste my comment from the other thread:

MAYBE people expected something else when you talk about GHOST RECON. I MEAN IT'S IN THE NAME FFS.
Let a team develop a single player tactical FPS with squad command, not another BR. Ubi seems to release a BR game every 6 months. Just make it stop.

Also, R6Siege is the worst R6 game ever. It has just the name of R6.
It may be a good game (not for me though) but it's a shitty R6.

About this new Ghost Recon, you have a shit tons of BR you can try that are most likely the same as this GR Frontline. Some are even from Ubi, they just have a different name. In the meantime, tactical shooter are mostly dead.
I'm obviously not hoping for a "first person, invisible guns, reload wheels" type of game. More like a mix between Wildlands and Operation Flashpoint maybe? IDK, but not this BR bullshit for sure!

And for R6... we have a 5vs5 online PVP shooter vs the old formula, you can see where is the problem I guess. Just make a real single player experience true to the genre. Then we are all happy.

Speaking of Splinter Cell, how does Blacklist fare? I got burned after realizing there were no real stealth options in Conviction. It seems like a “full package” game but every time I tried playing it, the mechanics never clicked with me like the previous titles.
So So Montreal GIF by BDHCollective

If you expect a good Splinter Cell ala Pandora Tomorrow/Chaos Theory you'll be disappointed. It's just your random action TPS with light callback to the old ones, still worth a try if ou can.

Last edited:

tsumake

Animated GIF

I like how people say "it sells 20 million units so it's good".

Loop Trump GIF

Or COD is the best game ever, Drake, Billie Eilish & Justin Bieber are the best artist in the World and produce the best music ever created because they sell millions too?
Also comparing the gaming market of 2020 to 2005 (on your other comments) is absolutely stupid.

Now I'm gonna copy/paste my comment from the other thread:

MAYBE people expected something else when you talk about GHOST RECON. I MEAN IT'S IN THE NAME FFS.
Let a team develop a single player tactical FPS with squad command, not another BR. Ubi seems to release a BR game every 6 months. Just make it stop.

Also, R6Siege is the worst R6 game ever. It has just the name of R6.
It may be a good game (not for me though) but it's a shitty R6.

About this new Ghost Recon, you have a shit tons of BR you can try that are most likely the same as this GR Frontline. Some are even from Ubi, they just have a different name. In the meantime, tactical shooter are mostly dead.
I'm obviously not hoping for a "first person, invisible guns, reload wheels" type of game. More like a mix between Wildlands and Operation Flashpoint maybe? IDK, but not this BR bullshit for sure!

And for R6... we have a 5vs5 online PVP shooter vs the old formula, you can see where is the problem I guess. Just make a real single player experience true to the genre. Then we are all happy.

They are Tom Clancy games in name only. They may be fun titles in their own right but they aren’t TC games.

Division 2 had good gameplay loop, but the amount they could have saved by not including the shitty cinematics and the shitty allies/buddies in your starter base. Some of the cinematics were so bad, stupid, and nonsensically dramatic it was hard to keep my eyes from rolling out of my skull.

There was good lore bits (I liked the True Sons' origins and their leader), and sometimes (but not enough) there was even good visual storytelling, but it's miles behind other games in that department.

My first Tom Clancy game was Red Storm Rising on the c64. It also led me to read the book back in middle school. Quite a bit different. But the copy protection was classic micropose. Identify the warship to launch the game.

The division and rainbow six siege are great.
But you're right, the name is getting diluted.

So many /care games now with the branding.
Hope heartland will he good at least

Catphish

To me, the core of Tom Clancy was naval warfare and tactics. Sure his books covered other stuff as the years went on, but navy shit was his bread and butter.

Why there hasn’t been a Tom Clancy naval combat game since 1988 is beyond me.

EDMIX

To me, the core of Tom Clancy was naval warfare and tactics. Sure his books covered other stuff as the years went on, but navy shit was his bread and butter.

Why there hasn’t been a Tom Clancy naval combat game since 1988 is beyond me.

Agreed. Its odd too as the tech exist, I know its not 100% the same but, this existed

So its not like they didn't have some frame work for something like that. Hopefully for the 3rd Ghost Recon open world single player title they have something more deeper like whole ships, subs etc

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
It used to be when a game had the Tom Clancy branding you knew it was going to be amazing. How did we go from amazing games like this:

latest

58b32a5b15565_392671b.jpg
218570-tom-clancy-s-rainbow-six-3-xbox-front-cover.png

To dumbed down and mediocre stuff like this:
Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint

To stuff that is most likely going to be trash-tier like this:
tom_clancys_the_defiant_game_announcement-1068x558.jpg

As well as a new Ghost Recon game that jumps on the battle royale bandwagon several years too late?

What happened? I used to associate the Tom Clancy brand with amazing, trendsetting gaming. Now I associated it with out of touch boardroom executives who push low-quality junk on their "fellow kids".

I just hope they don't revive the Splinter Cell franchise. The last thing they need to do is ruin Sam Fisher's legacy.

It's not the Tom Clancy series to be in decline, it's the entire games industry.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Someone needs to urgently buy the franchise rights from Ubisoft before they go all the way to the bottom of the barrel and make a party game or whatever.

GreatnessRD

It all went to shit after they cancelled Patriots!

However, I did personally enjoy Wildlands. Was hyped for a Wildlands 2 and they gave me... Breakpoint. Yuck

EekTheKat

I think UBI went RPG/looter shooter with their Tom Clancy games when they should have doubled down on simulation. The amount of simulation improvements that could be done on a next gen console should be staggering from simulation improvements, but instead it's always a new coat of paint over the same car over and over again.

IIRC, old school Tom Clancy games were like puzzles that you had to find a solution for with the least amount of your squad downed or killed. I use to replay certain maps over and over again trying different routes and plans. That strategy element combined with the shooter/plan execution was sublime. - it also gave the game a distinct identity over the other shooters.

UBIsoft games lately are literally just grind, grind, grind for a gun with a different rarity color and just brute force/blast your way through everything. The maps are just big generic rooms funneling you to the next area and so forth. Bullet sponge bosses/enemies should never be a thing - the game should offer different approaches to taking them down be it lethally or non-lethally.

There's just so much you can do with the Clancy name on the box, but nope - grindy cookie cutter RPG looter shooter is the path they chose to go down.

xDefiant isn't even out. Breakpoint was a misfire, however Wildlands is good and The Division 1 and 2 are missing from your list for some reason.

Using your metric (game journalists reviews) it seems the only reliably critically acclaimed title is Splinter Cell. Quality is all over the place and all over the last two years so there's no set "golden age" of Tom Clancy games that were all just critical darlings. Tom Clancy games (again, using Metacritic) all seem to fall under the "Great if you're a fan, just OK otherwise. . ." category of games.
How is wildcards good? They launched without pvp and no one played it after a few months. They had markers everywhere when you threw a grenade you could see the radius of the explosion that's a no no in a tactical shooter. They had infinite drones and pickups and it was only 4v4 it was terrible.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Those games fall under the "decent at best if I ignore how flawed they are" category. Look at Metacritic. The big Tom Clancy games like Chaos Theory had a 94% average while Wildlands has a 70% average and Breakpoint has a 56% average. That's a steep decline in quality. Wildlands was a decent Ubisoft open world game at best (fun but basically junk gaming) and Breakpoint was absolutely terrible until everyone whined and they finally made it playable (but still pretty bad). Rainbow Six Siege also has a 73% average compared to Rainbow Six 3 which had an 86% average. So it's not just my opinion. The general consensus is that the quality of their games is declining.
Siege is one of the best multiplayer games ever and the Metacritic was way before the game received it's much needed content. If Siege would've been released content complete it would have gotten a average score of > 80 easily.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Siege is one of the best multiplayer games ever and the Metacritic was way before the game received it's much needed content. If Siege would've been released content complete it would have gotten a average score of > 80 easily.

Sir, you don't understand. People here don't play games. They play Metacritic score wars. Just look at any Sea of Thieves thread.

Hell I hated Breakpoint at launch, but after all of the updates I like it more than Wildlands.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Wildlands was pretty good actually. My complain was the game was simply tooo huge, like in typical Ubi fashion.
Then its successor reviewed to be way too short with features missing.
and then xclancy fps lol

but its fps. You never know what market/audience will latch onto a fps game if enough support is shown by devs.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sir, you don't understand. People here don't play games. They play Metacritic score wars. Just look at any Sea of Thieves thread.

Hell I hated Breakpoint at launch, but after all of the updates I like it more than Wildlands.
reviews should be updated, especially in this day and age.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wildlands was pretty good actually. My complain was the game was simply tooo huge, like in typical Ubi fashion.
Then its successor reviewed to be way too short with features missing.

Breakpoint is now better than Wildlands. The updates basically made it Wildlands but without a drab environment and with a Performance mode on consoles. It's the better of the two now.

Edit: They also added the R6 operators to it as well.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Ubisoft needs to lose the rights to Tom Clancy and other devs need to take a chance in this franchise. I would like to see what Square Enix does to this game.

Derktron

Banned
They can't lose the rights when they own the name and IP.
Fuck me hard --- I did not know this. I thought they were only licensing the IP like what Sony does with Marvel/Disney with Spiderman or what EA did with Star Wars. --- Well no wonder

Michael Scott No GIF

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tom Clancy feels pressured by games like fortnight and apex, if you’re Tom Clancy go ahead and take on giants like those.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Ravenshield was by far and large the best FPS expience I've ever had, with a multiplayer I replayed for months. There is still a community playing it, but if Groundbranch's proof of concept gets the support it needs, it may be a valid replacement. We shall see.

• Strength
Reactions: Gp1
Why should he? OP came in pissing and moaning in what is really a poor stealth Ubisoft bitch post with no elaboration either.
He’s not forced to, but I was curious because I’ve never heard anyone hold such hatred towards it. I wanted to know why. This has nothing to do with OP.

rollright

Neo Member

Then they probably should have released it content complete.

Top Bottom