• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The decision to release a PS4 version (of Gran Turismo 7) was made only fairly recently. - VGC

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Meanwhile, Forza is next gen only
vskZiRh.gif

ethomaz

Banned
i think if the corona situation didnt happen and you could just buy a PS5 regulary than there wouldnt be this many cross games.
Corona has nothing to do with actual PS5 supply issues... PS5 has the record shipment for any console ever.

The problem is the demand is happily too high.

skit_data

I like Polyphony Digitals attention to detail and everything but... I have to say;

If any other studio within Playstation Studios exhibited the delays and, frankly, lack of output they would’ve cut the cord like yesterday.

kyliethicc

I like Polyphony Digitals attention to detail and everything but... I have to say;

If any other studio within Playstation Studios exhibited the delays and, frankly, lack of output they would’ve cut the cord like yesterday.
Polyphony
Gran Turismo 5 - 2010
Gran Turismo 6 - 2013
Gran Turismo Sport - 2017
Gran Turismo 7 - 2022

Santa Monica
God of War 3 - 2010
God of War Ascenion - 2013
God of War - 2018
God of War 2 - 2022

Guerrilla
Killzone 3 - 2011
Killzone Shadow Fall - 2013
Horizon Zero Dawn - 2017
Horiozon Forbidden West - 2021 or 2022

Sucker Punch
Infamous 2 - 2011
Infamous Second Son - 2014
Infamous First Light - 2014
Ghost of Tsushima - 2020

Bend
Uncharted Golden Abyss - 2011
Uncharted Fight for Fortune - 2011
Days Gone - 2019

Last edited:

Tutomos

There are a few guys in Playstation you can't tell them what to do even if you are the CEO of Sony Group, and Kaz is one of them. This decision is 100% done by Kaz, most likely due to the shortage of PS5 consoles.

elliot5

If that's the case, why they didn't go that way with Demon's Souls Remake?
The contract with Bluepoint was to only make a PS5 version from the beginning. Remember, they're not first party, so everything is explicit. BP is fairly small, and lead by engineers. They wanted to harness the next gen capabilities. I also imagine they didn't have the man power to get a PS4 release included. It took enough effort as it was for them to get the game out on release without delays and wfh.

skit_data

Polyphony
Gran Turismo 5 - 2010
Gran Turismo 6 - 2013
Gran Turismo Sport - 2017
Gran Turismo 7 - 2022

Santa Monica
God of War 3 - 2010
God of War Ascenion - 2013
God of War - 2018
God of War 2 - 2022

Guerrilla
Killzone 3 - 2011
Killzone Shadow Fall - 2013
Horizon Zero Dawn - 2017
Horiozon Forbidden West - 2021 or 2022
Yeah, ok it’s not as bad as it feels when you break it down like that...

But it feels like forever and I want GT7 sooo much *throwing a tantrum*

ripeavocado

Banned
Bullshit

You can't take a flagship Next-Gen game and retrofit it for PS4 so late into development.

It's more like it was looking bad on next-gen and decided to release it on ps4 as well to save face and make more money.

Polyphony is embarassing.

Bergoglio

Any racing game can scale up easily. And for Horizon FW and GOW:R being crossgen is also understandable as both were targeting 2021 which is less than 1 year into the next gen.

So far offering next-gen only games are still there, which makes this year and next look promising. What doesn't sound good to me is the PC BS, but we need to wait and see how it's being handled.
Every Playstation Studios game will be available on PC.

Sooner or later.

M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
The admins here are quite emotionally driven. Maybe they should take a job over at Era. Imagine I bumped a post that spoke of Sony only releasing games on PS5 to showcase how it didn't age well due to Sony now choosing to release games on PS4. I was threatened with a ban for doing such a thing and comments on the post turned off. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So be it, I guess :messenger_confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox Mulder

Makes sense. Console shortages are going to fuck this generation. There’s no way they can release their biggest AAA exclusives only on the ps5 only right now.

The problem is the competition has given the same or better attention to detail in a shorter time. Even dead franchises like Pcars.

I don't think anyone should be falling for that excuse anymore. It's clear GT has some guys higher up in conflict and there's dev trouble for each game since GT4.

MOTM

Banned
And did GTS release in the first year of the PS4? No. Did GoW or Spiderman? No. We are not talking about any exclusives, these are mamoths that release once in 5 years. They aint gonna rely on sales for a console they cant produce fast enough because of covid. They need their money back, its called a business decision. I dont remember any pandemics in 2013.
I refuse to believe you’re that naive. It was cross gen all along end of story.

The truth about all of this is simple: do not expect Sony to simply turn their back on 100+ million users with a PS4. Those are sales. Walling off games to an ecosystem has has a low installed base in an era when games scale better than ever, is a financially stupid move. You might have a problem with Sony not being forthright with their intent in the same way MS was about cross-gen, but can we all stop acting surprised?

Astral Dog

I don’t believe it one second. There’s more PS5’s out there than PS4’s at the same time period yet Sony didn’t make their exclusives cross gen back then.
Platform transitions will take longer, there is a $10 increase this gen, and covid delayed all projects wich is why we will see more cross gen games than before. Makes sense some games are cross gen and others exclusive.PS4 was also super succesful so Sony is supporting it longer

Expect the same on Switch as well, and PS6 🤭
bunch of fanboys crying why their new PS6 has some games compatible with PS5 😳

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don’t believe it one second. There’s more PS5’s out there than PS4’s at the same time period yet Sony didn’t make their exclusives cross gen back then.
Yes, but from an engineering perspective, It's easier to make a game PS4 & PS5 than it ever was PS3 & PS4.

Jim wants to see those expensive AAAAAAAAAA games rake in the money, so he doesn't want to ignore the PS4 install base. This has nothing to do with PS5 shortages or covid, that narrative never made sense since PS5 is outselling PS4.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
No what? There's documented history of examples of this exact thing happening numerous times. We've had things like XB360 -> PSP ports (a substantially bigger gap than what we're talking about here) done in under 3 months on a shoe-string budget, not because anyone thought about it during 2 years of development prior - but because someone in publishing thought it would be great to add another SKU after the fact. These ports would usually still ship with all 'core' features intact, and often have additional content over the base version (though granted, they probably got 6 months for those).

Your position is that basically Insomniac can put out a statement and say we're going to release Rift Apart on PS4. Do you think that's possible without fundamental changes?
All I said was 'it can, and it does happen'. What that would mean to Rift Apart is academic - if they announce a PS4 version I'm sure it'll play about as well as Resogun on PSVita did... Doesn't mean it didn't happen though.

And if they can backport it then it was never really, truly designed for just the PS5 hardware.
What exactly does backport mean to you? There's no such thing as 0-compromise on any down-port in history, so by that definition - all titles are truly designed for their target hw.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

why are people so salty? jesus...its millions of users on ps4 vs a few million on ps5...pandemic and lack of units doesnt make things easier....cross gen is fine for now. they are not going to lose an entire audience of ps4 players because people get mad at cross gen.

Urban

Corona has nothing to do with actual PS5 supply issues... PS5 has the record shipment for any console ever.

The problem is the demand is happily too high.
I think it do has something to do with it because the supply chain is broken, the stores are closed and the demand is higher than the shipments because most of the people have to much time. Many Countrys had their Borders closed and most of them came with ship instead of flight. Many manufacturer had corona problems with personal being sick or closing complete working shifts because someone got Cov19 etc etc

The global pandemic made it difficult for everybody and even JR said, that he would never ever again launch a product while a global pandemic is on his way.

The entertainment hardware shortage is not just on the Playstation5. Last year you couldnt get a Switch in Germany for example.

P.s. sry for my english since its not my native language.

Great Hair

Banned
BSHsqP0.jpg

"No f*cking way man!!"
a) gonna take ages to port every car or the game is
b) much shorter than a trad. GT game .. thus taking less effort? on both copies
c) we´re buttfucked

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Not sure why so many are surprised about so many cross-gen games from Sony this gen (apart from the fact that Sony didn't exactly shout it from the rooftops...), the fact is that this is the first time in Playstation history that they have two generations in a row that use such similar/compatible tech, I guarantee they would've always done it this way if they could've, but it wasn't viable till now.

NahaNago

This is bull. This new Sony has been keeping silent on the details of these games since the console launch E3. Generations my ass.

kevm3

Wouldn't be surprised if this released for PC not too far after. I think Sony is moreso in maximize profit mode than anything.

AGRacing

Gold Member
It would be great if we had a GT7 PS5 delay to wait for the PS4 port, eh? Ah well what's another lie eh? Just throw it on the pile.

ZehDon

Not sure why so many are surprised about so many cross-gen games from Sony this gen...
Heh - why would anyone be surprised about half of Sony's first party output being cross-gen when its literally never happened in the history of PlayStation?

You mean, apart from them mocking their competitor's open cross-gen policy...
That nod toward PlayStation’s belief in clear generational lines seems like a slightly tongue-in-cheek comment about how Sony’s next system fundamentally differs from Microsoft’s upcoming Xbox Series X and its plan to release first-party titles on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X generation for at least the next few years.
... and stating that they believed a clear line between generations was a necessity for PlayStation 5?
As PlayStation global marketing head Eric Lempel explained to Geoff Keighley during the latest Summer Games Fest video (via IGN), PlayStation sees a clear line between console generations as a necessity, and one that helps drive the development of innovative and unique games for the PlayStation 5.

“In many cases, we can’t take everybody with us from previous consoles into [a next generation experience],” Lempel tells Keighley. “You need new hardware, you need new devices to experience what these developers want you to experience.”

What surprises me is that there are people downplaying Sony's blatant bait-and-switch, while at the same time we have a twenty page thread because a female protagonist has a slightly rounder face than in her previous game. NeoGAF sure is funny some days.

Anyway, back on topic - I'll be curious to see what cut-backs need to be made to GT7 for the PS4 version. If the PS5 version offers 60FPS and the PS4 doesn't, for example, that's a deal breaker for me for a racing game. If we just lose ray tracing and take a hit to resolution, then I'll finally get my PS4 GT title I've been waiting all generation for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom