• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The decision to release a PS4 version (of Gran Turismo 7) was made only fairly recently. - VGC

Bryank75

Banned

"Gran Turismo 7, after all, was outright advertised as a PS5 exclusive in December, although to be fair to Sony, I understand the decision to release a PS4 version was made only fairly recently. For Horizon Forbidden West and God of War, however, these games were always intended to release as cross-gen titles, I was told, but Sony did not mention the last-gen console during the announcement of either title."

BeardGawd

Banned
Deciding on and activiely developing on are completely seperate things.

Either GT7 wasn't taking advantage of PS5 even as an exclusive and was able to run on PS4 with minor cutbacks. Or it was always in development with PS4 in mind and they just decided to pull the trigger/tell us.

cormack12

Gold Member
No chance. You don't suddenly decide your game can also be back ported to something with as big of a gulf in power as the PS4. There's no quote just a very non committal 'I understand...'.

Ether that or it was only ever 'kept' from the PS4 and marketed as next gen. If you knew you were designing for SSD you could do all kinds of crazy stuff instead of displaying all those GTS loading screens etc.

NickFire

I'm not buying this claim. At a minimum Sony allowed everyone to believe they were mainly next gen focused, and at worst they mislead us. Not a huge deal to me personally as it wouldn't have changed my purchasing decisions had they been honest, but still plenty of reason to not believe they just recently decided they could port a PS5 game to OG PS4 IMO.

cormack12

Gold Member
The big talking point is given the gap between GT titles are we actually going to see a next gen version of GT before we head into the PS5s swansong.

And if not are we potentially looking at a case where Forza Motorsport does put out a next gen title only.

Interesting times. I think most GTS fans will park the outrage if they get dynamic weather etc. Included.

Kokoloko85

I guess they can make it 30fps, lessen the effects/graphics and change the loading times. Change the crowds lol.

God of War and Horizon are more disappointing being cross gen because they could be doing so much more if its a PS5 exclusive like AI, larger more dynamic worlds etc

Bo_Hazem

Banned

"Gran Turismo 7, after all, was outright advertised as a PS5 exclusive in December, although to be fair to Sony, I understand the decision to release a PS4 version was made only fairly recently. For Horizon Forbidden West and God of War, however, these games were always intended to release as cross-gen titles, I was told, but Sony did not mention the last-gen console during the announcement of either title."

Any racing game can scale up easily. And for Horizon FW and GOW:R being crossgen is also understandable as both were targeting 2021 which is less than 1 year into the next gen.

So far offering next-gen only games are still there, which makes this year and next look promising. What doesn't sound good to me is the PC BS, but we need to wait and see how it's being handled.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Either GT7 wasn't taking advantage of PS5 even as an exclusive and was able to run on PS4 with minor cutbacks. Or it was always in development with PS4 in mind and they just decided to pull the trigger/tell us.
Or it was a commercially driven decision and a circuit racer is one that's relatively easy to execute on.
It may well be one of the (if not the) most scalable genres out there.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
No chance. You don't suddenly decide your game can also be back ported to something with as big of a gulf in power as the PS4. There's no quote just a very non committal 'I understand...'.
Publishers have been making these kind of decisions all the time over the last few decades, sometimes over gulfs much larger than PS4->PS5 too.
It's not something 1st-parties have done much of to date, but things are obviously changing there as well.

cormack12

Gold Member
Publishers have been making these kind of decisions all the time over the last few decades, sometimes over gulfs much larger than PS4->PS5 too.
It's not something 1st-parties have done much of to date, but things are obviously changing there as well.

No.

Your position is that basically Insomniac can put out a statement and say we're going to release Rift Apart on PS4. Do you think that's possible without fundamental changes?

The only 'out' is that they have tasked PP or another studio with backporting the game with very limited features and core changes in the game. And if they can backport it then it was never really, truly designed for just the PS5 hardware.

Last edited:

Sandalion

Neo Member
The question is what should distinguish a next gen racer from a already 60FPS GT Sport .. apart from graphical improvements. I'm thinking (again) of realistic visible damage to the vehicle and even total damage, interactive pit stops, changing weather conditions....a lot would be possible only with PS5

Neo_game

Although making racing game cross gen should be easier compared to other genre. It seems the game dev for this is messed up.

Saaleh

Banned
Sony:
giphy.gif

"i know, for now bear with me"

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Ether that or it was only ever 'kept' from the PS4 and marketed as next gen. If you knew you were designing for SSD you could do all kinds of crazy stuff instead of displaying all those GTS loading screens etc.
The game design of GT will be unchanged by the PS5's SSD. Its the same real life tracks. Same speeds. Same cars.

I 100% believe this is why the game was delayed. My bet is in 2020 Sony told Polyphony to start making a PS4 downport. Fear over lack of PS5 sales, rona, etc. And maybe they want lots of users for its online modes. They likely delayed the game to fall 2022 to give PD some time.

GT Sport and GT7 use the same engine and assets, just at different detail. The GT7 PS4 port will be easy. 1080p, no RT, lower LODs, etc.. done. 18-24 months is plenty of time for them to get it running on PS4. And PC probably.

skit_data

That’s very interesting

I guess that could be one factor behind delaying the game to 2022. I really hope it’s not. That would really piss me off.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Doubt. it looked cross gen as fuck. the e3 demo was native 4k 60 fps with ray traced reflections. its clear that this was basically gt sports engine running on a 10 tflops rdna 2.0 card and a zen 2 processor.

BeardGawd

Banned
The game design of GT will be unchanged by the PS5's SSD. Its the same real life tracks. Same speeds. Same cars.

I 100% believe this is why the game was delayed. My bet is in 2020 Sony told Polyphony to start making a PS4 downport. Fear over lack of PS5 sales, rona, etc. And maybe they want lots of users for its online modes. They likely delayed the game to fall 2022 to give PD some time.

GT Sport and GT7 use the same engine and assets, just at different detail. The GT7 PS4 port will be easy. 1080p, no RT, lower LODs, etc.. done. 18-24 months is plenty of time for them to get it running on PS4. And PC probably.
If it was so easy to make for PS4 then there was no point making it a PS5 exclusive in the first place. Just anti-consumer all around.

I don’t believe it one second. There’s more PS5’s out there than PS4’s at the same time period yet Sony didn’t make their exclusives cross gen back then.

And did GTS release in the first year of the PS4? No. Did GoW or Spiderman? No. We are not talking about any exclusives, these are mamoths that release once in 5 years. They aint gonna rely on sales for a console they cant produce fast enough because of covid. They need their money back, its called a business decision. I dont remember any pandemics in 2013.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I'm sure it (the decision) was made recently, but I gotta assume the consideration of it being a ps4 release (through development) as well, was always on the table.

Saucy Papi

This could explain the reason for the delay. They may have had to rethink the scope to make it work on PS4.

CamHostage

Doubt. it looked cross gen as fuck. the e3 demo was native 4k 60 fps with ray traced reflections. its clear that this was basically gt sports engine running on a 10 tflops rdna 2.0 card and a zen 2 processor.

But what does "next gen AF" look like then? UE5's Nanite is our only example of technology not possible without new hardware, and it still has significant drawbacks for use in game production (plus it's not fully out of the lab.) Ratchet looks great, but it has plenty of legacy tech in it (it likely could have been ported down if it wasn't built around the concept of fast-loading rifts.) Demon's Souls is literally the PS3 game engine with a ton more detail on top thanks to the PS5 engine tied on top of it. Then Returnal, MS Flight... What's the game that isn't a past-gen engine with the settings cranked up and some next-gen effects put over it?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

The SSD would have no impact in how fast you drive lol. We fly jets at like 200kmh in some games.

Im talking about the game design. It's presentation, the lead ins, segues etc. The use of the SSD might mean you don't develop the part of the game that takes the user to the loading screen. All of a sudden you need that back.

If this was so easy then we wouldn't have just had the disaster that was cyberpunk and top end PC rigs would be blowing everything away instead of riding the crest of a middling wave. You're talking simulation models, deformation models, lighting etc. Then you're talking about dynamic weather, all needing to be consistent across platforms if multiplayer is cross gen.

You're making it sound like a Witcher 3 > Switch backport which was underwhelming (and outsourced) and more a show of technical feat (engine scaling). It also didn't have the sheer gulf in CPU that exists now.

At the end of the day if people want to believe this unsourced factoid from an outlet with inconsistent reporting from a relative nobody then you're welcome to. But if that's your stance then you have to accept that the XSS won't hold games back as well.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Thats all GT7 will be. Its GT Sport with new cars, new tracks, and new modes, and better visuals, better audio, much faster loading, and full DualSense support. Which sounds great to me, as a fan of GT.

The similarities between GTS and GT7 is why I believe they can manage to make a PS4 port in like 18 months. Same core tech. Same core game design. Just down res, no RT, add loading screens, no DualSense, lower LODs, etc. Its not that hard for a game that's core design and mechanics are set in stone by real life.

The PS5 I/O doesn't make the Nurburgring any bigger or a Huracan GT3 any faster. Its a sim.

kyliethicc

The SSD would have no impact in how fast you drive lol. We fly jets at like 200kmh in some games.

Im talking about the game design. It's presentation, the lead ins, segues etc. The use of the SSD might mean you don't develop the part of the game that takes the user to the loading screen. All of a sudden you need that back.

If this was so easy then we wouldn't have just had the disaster that was cyberpunk and top end PC rigs would be blowing everything away instead of riding the crest of a middling wave. You're talking simulation models, deformation models, lighting etc. Then you're talking about dynamic weather, all needing to be consistent across platforms if multiplayer is cross gen.

You're making it sound like a Witcher 3 > Switch backport which was underwhelming (and outsourced) and more a show of technical feat (engine scaling). It also didn't have the sheer gulf in CPU that exists now.

At the end of the day if people want to believe this unsourced factoid from an outlet with inconsistent reporting from a relative nobody then you're welcome to. But if that's your stance then you have to accept that the XSS won't hold games back as well.
Don't try to compare CyberPunk to GT. Not even close to the same.

And adding loading screens is probably like a few weeks of dev time. It'll be fine.

cormack12

Gold Member
Don't try to compare CyberPunk to GT. Not even close to the same.

And adding loading screens is probably like a few weeks of dev time. It'll be fine.

Yes it is. You just don't like the analogy.

I will look forward to the easy work in porting total war to my 486SX in the attic.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Any racing game can scale up easily. And for Horizon FW and GOW:R being crossgen is also understandable as both were targeting 2021 which is less than 1 year into the next gen.

So far offering next-gen only games are still there, which makes this year and next look promising. What doesn't sound good to me is the PC BS, but we need to wait and see how it's being handled.
no they don't scale easily, they are very cpu dependand (physics, car number) and as crossplay you can't create separate version, only hope I still have for gt7 on ps5 is it will be full supported on psvr2 and not only some mode

Last edited:

FranXico

Yes it is. You just don't like the analogy.

I will look forward to the easy work in porting total war to my 486SX in the attic.
Yes, the gulf in power between a PS4 and a PS5 is comparable to the one between a 486SX and a modern PC.

Not to mention how radically different the toolchains are!

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

cormack12

Gold Member
Yes, the gulf in power between a PS4 and a PS5 is comparable to the one between a 486SX and a modern PC.

Not to mention how radically different the toolchains are!

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Do you disagree with the point? The commitment is always missing from these shit posts. You'll interrupt but not go so far as to deny the logic.

So yeah, it's a comic exaggeration - are you saying that a game fully realised and targeted at the PS5 can easily be back ported on a whimsical decision? Shall we see if you answer the actual topic at hand......

By the way, may be an idea to read Guerrillas comments on how much power was left on the table in the other thread because they were bound to the PS4. Then imagine them maxing out all that power and trying to cram it on a base PS4.

Last edited:

skit_data

This makes me wonder if they are having another version of the PS2 car issue like previous entries.
Oh noes! That was horrible! Those low poly models of cars! No cockpit view! The horror!

I seriously hope they don’t even consider that route, it really destroyed part of the experience of GT5 especially, and GT6 to a slightly lesser extent.

[Sigma]

True crime is that we likely never ever get a GoW nor Horizon with the vision Cerny was talking about for the PS5. Hell for most 1st party games potentially. I'm just hoping Ghost of Tsushima 2 will be free of this.

Last edited:
I don’t believe it one second. There’s more PS5’s out there than PS4’s at the same time period yet Sony didn’t make their exclusives cross gen back then.
Because cross gen with PS3 would have been a pain in the ass, it's nowhere near the same issue between the PS4 and PS5. It took a year just to get TLOU moved over and very slightly upgraded. If you wanted only one platform to have Horizon it would end up on the PS4, there are way more PS4 owners out there than PS5 owners right now and this game was probably scheduled to come out a little earlier when development started because Covid wasn't a thing, same with GoW. Horizon looks awesome and with the quality of those textures and the density, lack of pop in except for a few shadows here and there you can't tell me you think the PS4 version will match the PS5 version in any way. At least you can tell they had the PS5 in mind with this game from the start and aren't holding back because of PS4 to any real degree or at least in a way that would have been avoided. If this were launching in 3 years and was on PS4 I'd be more upset but those games will be free of cross-gen stuff.

Last edited:
True crime is that we likely never ever get a GoW nor Horizon with the vision Cerny was talking about for the PS5. Hell for most 1st party games potentially. I'm just hoping Ghost of Tsushima 2 will be free of this.
I would think anything that started development as late as a potential GoT sequel would have is going to be PS5 exclusive, that's going to be years away.

soulbait

PS3's architecture (cell processor) would force more effort to make both PS4 and PS3 games versus the effort required for PS4 and PS5 games (x86).

mckmas8808

Banned

I don't believe this. If the game was supposed to come out in 2021, there's no way they decided to make GT7 on the PS4 last year.

[Sigma]

I would think anything that started development as late as a potential GoT sequel would have is going to be PS5 exclusive, that's going to be years away.
What you're saying makes sense and I already thought this but I just don't trust anything at this point when it comes to this administration. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The big talking point is given the gap between GT titles are we actually going to see a next gen version of GT before we head into the PS5s swansong.

And if not are we potentially looking at a case where Forza Motorsport does put out a next gen title only.

Interesting times. I think most GTS fans will park the outrage if they get dynamic weather etc. Included.
That's exactly why Turn 10 have been taking there sweet time, next gen only Forza.

Top Bottom