• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Decade-Long Quest For Shadow of the Colossus’ Last Secret

So I stumbled over this fascinating video on youtube by a dude called Jacob Geller. He chronicled the decade long journey of a group of dedicated Shadow of the Colossus players called the "Secret Seekers" trying to unveil the game's last secret:

It's a fascinating watch and a marvelous story, grippingly retold by what I assume to be a gamer who was part of this hunt for the game's final secret. For more than thirteen years the Secret Seekers have been exploring every nook and cranny of this beautiful game for clues and hints about a mysterious secret they merely believed to exist. For years they collected every piece of information to little or no avail, but they kept going with an almost feverish curiosity.

iChbX9b.png

It's a story that is about more than just an easter egg or a silly secret, it's a story about relentless dedication, about a forum thread that's been kept alive for over a decade, about theories and comments that could fill a whole book, about the developer's love for their fanbase and most importantly about never giving up your curiosity for what great unknowns might still lurk out there.

mFWCQZ3.png

Contrary to all rational belief, the Secret Seekers kept persevering, filling pages upon pages with theories about what they assumed to be the existence of a 17th colossus. Glitching through walls, exploiting the physics engine, going out of bounds, they mapped every region of the game in hope of finding what is Shadow of the Colossus' Holy Grail.

uPldALa.jpg

Alas, after years of searching, they still kept coming up empty handed, their elusive goal seemingly out of reach. It took until the release of the remastered edition that their hopes were rekindled by an enigmatic message in the game's post-credits:

ptYcq5i.png

A dedication to a gamer called "Nomad Colossus" who kept searching for the game's final secret more than a decade after its release accompanied by a mysterious hint to the "79 steps to enlightenment". And so the Secret Seekers kept searching despite the constant stream of warnings that they are wasting their time.

Until... well until they found what they were looking for with a little help from the developers... or not. It's hard to explain, so allow me to use the video creator's succinct words:

"What they found was not that much, but also it's everything."
Now forgive me for not spoiling what they found, I think it's best you watch the video and find out for yourself. I promise, it's 22 minutes well spent if the wonders of gaming, human perseverance and curiosity mean anything to you.

Last edited:
Nomad put comments under the video on youtube. Talking about his experience and going to the BluePoint studio. It is a good annotation to the video.

Yeah here's the blog:

The level of research he did on that game is insane.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So was the secret chamber with the sword in the original game or did they just add it to the remaster? And what does the group think the sword means?

That was a great video. I especially loved seeing the boundary break stuff by PikolPL. I was reminded of when I would play the game on the PS2 and try to max out my stamina so I could try reaching hidden places. Shadow of the Colossus really was a masterpiece.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Video games are going to have secrets revealed years after release, look at the whole Easter Egg phase during the 2010s, some still aren't cracked.

A.Romero

Great video, didn't even notice that 20 minutes have passed.

Fumito Ueda is a great designer, his games are master pieces (haven't played TLG yet). I bet that thread played a part in the decision to remaster and remake the games.

Best thread of the week apart from the P.T. thread by R Raph64 .

I LOVE secrets like this and gamers who dedicate a large time of their lives into this. I would not have the courage to do it but God bless those who do.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I assume it was added to give closure for the fans who searched for that final secret all these years. Good video.

Thats... kinda sad to me. You spent your whole time thinking there was a secret, but really there wasnt one, but the developers put a new secret in to make the time you spent seem worthwhile. I get that at the end of the day its about the journey and stuff, but still it kinda takes the "magic" out of it knowing the devs added this thing to the game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The last secret would be something like a bombshell secret..... like a debug menu allowing the game to run at more than 18 fps.

Bought this game on hype at Greatest Hits pricing. Got home, played it and I thought the disc was scratched. It was so jerky and the worst PS2 frame rate game ever I though there was something wrong with the disc or my system.

Last edited:

sol_bad

So very cool, it's amazing that Bluepoint somehow got involved with that little community. I have probably finished the game about 12 times and this is the first time I have heard of them.
Props to them for making a myth become reality.

mcz117chief

Oh, so it was a new secret in a completely different version of the game. Not surprised though since people have been able to scour the data for years and never found anything special aside from unused items and locations like the dam.

Thats... kinda sad to me. You spent your whole time thinking there was a secret, but really there wasnt one, but the developers put a new secret in to make the time you spent seem worthwhile. I get that at the end of the day its about the journey and stuff, but still it kinda takes the "magic" out of it knowing the devs added this thing to the game.

Eh, I think it's pretty cool that the devs gave the secret hunters some closure with the enhanced edition so many years after the game's initial release. Even if it's not much, it shows that the devs still care about their fans which is always nice to see in this day and age where social media outrage is the modus operandi. It also makes the whole story a little poetic in the sense that the Secret Seekers literally willed this last secret into existence by never giving up their search.

Sometimes, not giving up despite all odds, can be rewarding and there's beauty in that.

Great thread and great video, I came across it the other day. I remember that legendary thread, I kept following it every week or two until the time where Nomad came around; I have fond memories of looking for every bit of information or trivia about SotC back in 2007-2009. Nomad's work and dedication truly are outstanding.

Shifty

Top-quality OP Strange, you've got me hooked. Time to give it a watch.

Post-watch I'm perhaps a little underwhelmed, but I think adding what they did was a nice touch.

SotC's world feels way too big and handcrafted to be as empty as it is- something that's explained by the crazy amount of collosi that were originally planned. Adding the 79 steps gives players a reason to explore and take in more of it if they're so inclined, as well as providing closure for the Secret Seekers.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Incredible story, so cool for Nomad. Was going to replay the remake just to find that secret, but got spoiled by the end of the video -_-

sublimit

Banned
;)

It's a great video and a great youtube channel in general. Deserves a lot more subs!

bosnianpie

Just watched the video and really enjoyed it. Some would say it's a waste of time but I totally undestand why dissecting a game like that can be fun and addictive. It makes me think why there aren't real mysteries left in games for dedicated players to find, other than rather simple easter eggs. Imagine following breadcrumbs like that in Read Dead 2, would be cool as hell.

Birdo

Banned
Data mining games has kind of killed the mystery aspect.

I love what Nomad Colossus found. But it also killed the dream that there were more secrets to be unlocked.

stranno

Bluepoint's remake Debug Mode could be useful for other stuff, since it lets you to do anything you want with the game. Its pretty fun to fight hairless colossus.

Nomad Colossus

Neo Member
Thanks everyone! If anything, the reason Bluepoint asked me to visit their studios for the launch of the PS4 version was based on my obsessive longevity with this one game xD. However, they told me they referenced my blog posts often in their development of the game, and indeed, some of the 79 'relics' or 'enlightenments' are based on aspects of my blogs or videos. They also named a trophy after my channel - in the E5 forest there is a new cave (not present in the PS2 or PS3 versions) that contains a barrel from The Last Guardian, as well as an Enlightenment. When you enter the cave for the first time, you will see a pop up for the 'Boon of the Nomad' trophy.

Of course this was really amazing for me to discover. But all I knew when I first met with the Bluepoint staff was that they had added a trophy, it wasn't until the day of the launch that they dropped the 'bombshell' about the 79 relics secret!

Thanks everyone! If anything, the reason Bluepoint asked me to visit their studios for the launch of the PS4 version was based on my obsessive longevity with this one game xD. However, they told me they referenced my blog posts often in their development of the game, and indeed, some of the 79 'relics' or 'enlightenments' are based on aspects of my blogs or videos. They also named a trophy after my channel - in the E5 forest there is a new cave (not present in the PS2 or PS3 versions) that contains a barrel from The Last Guardian, as well as an Enlightenment. When you enter the cave for the first time, you will see a pop up for the 'Boon of the Nomad' trophy.

Of course this was really amazing for me to discover. But all I knew when I first met with the Bluepoint staff was that they had added a trophy, it wasn't until the day of the launch that they dropped the 'bombshell' about the 79 relics secret!

Hey, thanks for coming by and sharing your story.

I'm still quite amazed how much work you put into this research. What drove you to do this and more specifically, what motivated you guys to keep looking for that mysterious secret for such an insanely long time?

Nomad Colossus

Neo Member
Hey, thanks for coming by and sharing your story.

I'm still quite amazed how much work you put into this research. What drove you to do this and more specifically, what motivated you guys to keep looking for that mysterious secret for such an insanely long time?

Well, by the time I joined the forums (in July 2009) Pikol had already been active for a while and had debunked all of the most popular 'secret ideas' that had been floating around. The three main questions/goals were 1) to get up higher than the secret garden - was it solid up there? 2) was there an alternate ending to the game, and 3) was there a hidden 17th colossus. So, by the time I joined the discussion all of these had been answered in the negative and most, if not all participants had already come to the conclusion that there was no 'legitimate' secret left in the game.

But there was still a massive amount of real estate in the game to explore, and the only way to do this was via hacking the game - or more specifically finding a way to move Wander around anywhere we wanted. Once I learnt how to do that, I just went nuts posting video after video of lands never before seen! This (among other things) is what kept the forum members interested and there were three of us doing this, Pikol, WWWArea and myself. In fact, for years WWWArea and I would chat every night and look for unseen content - those were very memorable days for me ; ) WWWArea (now SpaceOmega5000) pretty much taught me everything I know about finding unique codes (memory addresses) in the game, but in time both he and Pikol moved onto to other things.

But I never lost interest, and once the forum was no longer active, I started writing my blogs - which would fill a book now! If you are interested, you can read them here:

The 'intro page' explains basically why I got interested and how etc.

Of course, there is so much more I could write about this topic here, so I will stop here ; ) Thanks for your interest.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Watched the video a couple days back. It's really something. I love it when there are these massive secrets that take the most dedicated people years to unravel. It's always impressed me. I do t have the time, or skill, to do it but have so much respect for those who do.

I wonder if blue point hid anything else.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is fantastic!
I wish they released a patch that opened the doors upstairs, so we could easily enter the garden and bridge. It's such a view but requires so much playing to get there.
Make another mode that opens the door but disables achievements or something

Top Bottom