• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR delayed to March 16

nial

Gold Member
Supermassive Games has delayed The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR from its previously planned February 22 release date to March 16. It will be available for PlayStation VR2.

Get the full message from Supermassive Games on the delay below.

"The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR is supermassive games’ most ambitious virtual reality project to date, taking players through five extensive worlds that branch through various terror filled rollercoaster routes based on the dark pictures franchise.

It has always been our aim to release in the launch window of the new PlayStation VR2 headset but it is also massively important to us that you, the players, receive the most polished, terrifying experience possible when you strap in for your first ride in The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR. With this in mind, we have made the difficult decision to set a new launch date of March 16, 2023.

Thank you for all your excitement and patience it really means the world to us! We cannot wait to reveal more about our sinister rollercoaster from hell and watch this space for our new gameplay features video coming very soon!"

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Join Lauran Carter as Game director Alejandro Arque Gallardo from Supermassive Games gives a breakdown of what you can expect from The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR in this gameplay walkthrough, including the story set-up, some uses of the PS VR2 technology, as well a deeper look at the "Into the Heart" level, and more from the upcoming rollercoaster horror-shooter game.

The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR will be available on PS VR2 on March 16, 2023.

Humdinger

Anyone know the review embargo?
They went live about an hour ago. Here are a few:

Metacritic average is 69, based on 11 ratings.

Last edited:
They went live about an hour ago. Here are a few:

Metacritic average is 69, based on 11 ratings.

Oof not as good as hoped

gothmog

Gold Member

SeraphJan

Not a fan of the series, too many pointless Jumpscare, none of them are meaningful, I normally don't hate Jumpscare, however meaningless ones and overusage cheapen the experience. The Jumpscare in P.T works because it has build up and the Jump itself serves meaning.

Meaningless jumpscares include but not limited to: A cat runs by from the corner, a friend suddenly move in off the camera, a chair fall off etc, all of them accompanied by the loudest sound sample they could find in their VST library. These jumpscare happen almost every minute, its so annoying, you just can't really focus at the story which is the most important factor in a story driven game, it defeats the purpose.

I nearly forced myself to finish Until Dawn years ago, the rest of the DP trilogy I just couldn't stand it anymore.

A side note, The Quarry actually fix this problem by a little

Last edited:

Psykotik

yeah, i have it. it looks like a PSVR1 game unfortunately.

it's not as good as rush of blood.

not as scary as well, but maybe it's because i already sorta knew what to expect after playing the first game.
reviews say the game looks super blurry? Like psvr1 blurry

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Dark Pictures: Switchback follows up on PSVR's Until Dawn: Rush of Blood with a SCARY roller coaster that takes full advantage of the PSVR2's capabilities.
__
0:00 Intro
0:28 Gameplay
6:07 Impressions

Last edited:

Hoppa

It’s not bad, it reminds me of the old light gun games at arcades which is both good and bad tbh, I was expecting something like Carnevil but this isn’t that eccentric and I think that’s what it needs. Enemies are just blobs of pixels walking in a line toward the cart to claw at the screen or they’ll just pop up in front of you as a surprise:)messenger_ghost:)- no thought put into enemy AI to at least make it interesting which is a shame. I found looking for and shooting the targets to be more interesting.

Didn’t have any issues with blurriness, the quality of the models aren’t the greatest but it isn’t that big of an issue (to me anyways). I thought it looked decent, never played the first one so can’t compare.

Anyways, haven’t finished it and am not in a rush to but I’ll play more over the weekend

Top Bottom