• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Critical Drinker - What Happened To Our Villains? (Movie villains used to be awesome, but now they kind of suck)

CGiRanger

Banned
It's not so much the motivations behind the villains that is the sole reason, but the execution as well. You can have a one-dimensional villain that is super memorable if directed well.

Execution lately has just been so below par though for all villains, even those with complex motivations.

Kreen101

The best movie cinema experience I've had in my life. holy fuck what an amazing movie.
I would go to the cinema in a heartbeat if they reran it here
I went to see it three times in the theater!

Did you get chills down your spine when all of the motorcycle guys were jumping all over the truck, droping grenades as they flew over? And knowing it was all done for real? Real stunts, real stuntsmen, real explosions, real bikes, real trucks.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Drinker really needs to start watching something other than fucking Disney shit. Of course the villains are terrible. It’s Disney. If it’s not Disney, he’s talking about DCEU stuff. More fucking garbage.

His actual complaint is that movies have been homogenised and sanitised by major corporations. It’s got fuck all to do with gender. Of course no man is going to kick the shit out of a woman in one of those films... it’s mass market fucking drivel, designed to appeal to the broadest base, and to be completely inoffensive.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I went to see it three times in the theater!

Did you get chills down your spine when all of the motorcycle guys were jumping all over the truck, droping grenades as they flew over? And knowing it was all done for real? Real stunts, real stuntsmen, real explosions, real bikes, real trucks.
Yes exactly. When I learned that the huge crane car was for real destroyed I just went to see it 2nd time and took my father.
There will never be another movie like this and previous mad max movies

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dude always hinges upon the same reasoning for everything, I enjoy his videos sometimes but they're mostly low ball right wing focused excuses. Stop watching entry level fiction if it's not for you. Smh.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Movie villains always kind of sucked, with a few notable exceptions, mainly because they're not meant to be the star of the show.

I think if you want good villains you need to look to television, where they're often the star. Homelander in the first season of the The Boys is absolutely chilling.

Last edited:

Manus

Their not nearly as good as they used to be. Just watch this video and look at all the iconic rolls. Their all from way back.

SinDelta

Movie villains always kind of sucked, with a few notable exceptions, mainly because they're not meant to be the star of the show.

I think if you want good villains you need to look to television, where they're often the star. Homelander in the first season of the The Boys is absolutely chilling.
Agreed. TV is where you can find villains now.

Homelander is the most terrifying superhero villain in a long time. The Superman equivalent to Ledgers Joker.

Dexter before it went to shit had the Ice Truck killer, and the Trinity Killer.

Then Game of Thrones before it went to shit with Joffrey, and a large chunk of the cast. Tywin Lannister, the Bolton's, the Mountain deserve special mention.

The Expanse also has some monstrous people in it.

Last edited:

crfstewarje

Neo Member
Drinker really needs to start watching something other than fucking Disney shit. Of course the villains are terrible. It’s Disney. If it’s not Disney, he’s talking about DCEU stuff. More fucking garbage.

His actual complaint is that movies have been homogenised and sanitised by major corporations. It’s got fuck all to do with gender. Of course no man is going to kick the shit out of a woman in one of those films... it’s mass market fucking drivel, designed to appeal to the broadest base, and to be completely inoffensive.

"Of course the villains are terrible. It's Disney".

Are you implying that Disney hasn't made strong and memorable villains before? Look at Bill Cipher from Gravity Falls.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: LMJ

crfstewarje

Neo Member
Dude always hinges upon the same reasoning for everything, I enjoy his videos sometimes but they're mostly low ball right wing focused excuses. Stop watching entry level fiction if it's not for you. Smh.

Agreed. Nearly every video criticizing something has the same, "This movie or show tanked, because of the SJW agenda". And everyone in the comment section just parrots him.

TrainedRage

Banned
I think one of the things anime can do very well is create a good villain or anti hero.

But...
Joker
Hannibal (both Hopkins and Mikkelsen)
Bill the Butcher
Recent James Bond villains are pretty good
Loki was fun

Last edited:

crfstewarje

Neo Member
Meanwhile, TV shows continue to have memorable villains. Scarlamagene from Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, is a perfect example of that/

crfstewarje

Neo Member
The unwritten rule that he talks about, where women aren't allowed to lose to powerful men or even female villains needing to be defeated by anything other than a man is more than noticable in modern media.

And it's not just villains and hero's but with other stories such as the game stardew valley where, while I was playing, I noticed the only 2 black characters are devoid of flaws and conflict, one.being a smart scientist and his super smart daughter.

Meanwhile the white men deal.with homelessness, loneliness, alcoholism, adultery and social anxiety.

Just one example.of the dilution in character you get with modern media's inability to have flawed women and minorities.

Man; it takes a special kind of right wing mindset, to think that a KIDS GAME like Stardew Valley has some sort of agenda.

crfstewarje

Neo Member
You know, thinking about it some more I do think Drinker has a case for how weak villains have become in today's pop culture landscape. And I can think of no better example than the Romulans of Star Trek.

Back in ye olden days of The Original Series and The Next Generation, the Romulans were compelling antagonists whom fans could count on to give the Federation a fight. They were modeled after the Roman Empire and pretty good at warfare that they forced Starfleet to sign a non aggression pact and map out a Neutral Zone on their border of space with the Federation.

Romulan_commander_and_Centurian.jpg

4b311ac8f68e5a171c6b8cdf87288079.jpg

b985d894e0d15982-600x338.jpg

What do we get in the recent Star Trek Picard? Romulans as a piss poor allegory for the current migrant crisis.

star-trek-picard-absolute-candor.jpg

Plus the double tandem of Commodore Oh and the incest twins. Quite possibly the worst villains I've seen in Star Trek.

TBmP5RH.jpeg

9a24ab1161dd15861675d4e0f0a01bc5f4d4c22c.jpg

Just goes to show how shit the writing talent is today behind these shows.

So basically, you're using one modern TV show to pain a brush over all shows, even though TV shows are STILL known to have much better villains than most movies nowadays? I mean, an easy counter argument to your argument, is Homelander from The Boys.

sol_bad

I haven't watched the video because I can't stand the Critical Drinker. But I see people mention Kylk Ren, can I assume Darth Vader is mentioned to?

I generally like more modern day villains than the old school villains. Most villains from the 80's and 90's are so 1 note. Evil people with no characterisation who want to take over the world, steal money or sell drugs.

Thanos, kylo Ren and Moff Gideon are far more complex characters compared to Darth Vader. There is literally nothing that is interesting about Vader in A New Hope, he was popular just because of his design. I like it even better when a villain turns out to not be a villain like in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

highrider

Banned
I haven't watched the video because I can't stand the Critical Drinker. But I see people mention Kylk Ren, can I assume Darth Vader is mentioned to?

I generally like more modern day villains than the old school villains. Most villains from the 80's and 90's are so 1 note. Evil people with no characterisation who want to take over the world, steal money or sell drugs.

Thanos, kylo Ren and Moff Gideon are far more complex characters compared to Darth Vader. There is literally nothing that is interesting about Vader in A New Hope, he was popular just because of his design. I like it even better when a villain turns out to not be a villain like in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Everything about your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for even having the notion to share this with anyone.

sol_bad

Everything about your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for even having the notion to share this with anyone.

Opinions aren't wrong mate.
LOL

And I'm actually amazed that people on this forum complain about white male villains in film these days and then talk about the "great villains" of the good ye old days who are also white male villains.

oagboghi2

Agreed. Nearly every video criticizing something has the same, "This movie or show tanked, because of the SJW agenda". And everyone in the comment section just parrots him.
The truth tends to not change....

😂 Of course you would prefer the corporate crap released today. Moff Gideon? Please...😂

Last edited:

sol_bad

The truth tends to not change....

😂 Of course you would prefer the corporate crap released today. Moff Gideon? Please...😂

It's the Critical Drinker, it's his general formula, attack Disney properties, it's all he has.

Outside of Disney movies though you have Calvin Candie from Django Unchained, Terence Fletcher from Whiplash, Amy Dunne from Gone Girl, Rauol Silva from Skyfall, Zero from John Wick 3 and Richard Strickland from The Shape of Water just to name a few.

If Critical Drinker wanted to do a proper analysis of villains in recent films he would have looked outside of Disney films but that would requite to much effort for him.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

So basically, you're using one modern TV show to pain a brush over all shows, even though TV shows are STILL known to have much better villains than most movies nowadays? I mean, an easy counter argument to your argument, is Homelander from The Boys.
The Boys is an adaptation of a comic written by Garth Ennis. And Garth Ennis is one of the sickest minds in comic books who writes some of the most despicable villains (and heroes) you'll ever see. So yeah. I don't think your argument holds much weight since you're using as an example a tv show adapted from a comic written in 2006 by one of the most deranged minds out there.

And why shouldn't I use Star Trek as an example for how much tv has deteriorated in terms of writing? Trek was a solid franchise for a good 50+ years until the double tandem of Abrams and Kurtzmann turned it into the horrible mess that it's become in recent years. I've only seen the 3rd season of Discovery and it's laughably bad. And I suffered through the first season of Picard which I think is the worst Trek series ever.

finowns

Jesus. These takes should be punishable.

RAÏSanÏa

Mads(Galen Erso) in Rogue One speedran the entire Vader arc from the OT in less than one movie. All the characters were a bit morally fuzzy and their situations more and less ambiguous in some jarring ways. Kind of like how Burr(Mayfield) describes things getting messy when things get desperate. Mando with the lid off. Rogue One and Fett spinoffs should be more that sort of thing.

The performances of Mendolsohn(Talos) and Jude Law as villians from Captain Marvel were good and ran with some complex motivations.

None are as iconic as Darth Vader who isn't complex but mysterious.

Kadve

The last villain in movies that I thought was well written and menacing was Thanos.

intro-1544562089.jpg
Which is kinda funny considering he was anything but menacing in the original comics.

Sure, he was deadly. But in terms of personally he came of more like a man child, unable to take a hint that Death wasn't interested in him. No matter how powerful he became.

Jon Neu

Banned

tenor.gif

HarryKS

I mostly see villains are the good guys when they are well written and not flat characters dictated by simple and unexplainable megalomania.

I liked Kylo Ren. He was intriguing. I even thought he made sense at some point. Kill the past.

What started as an ersatz took a life of its own.

GreyHorace

Which is kinda funny considering he was anything but menacing in the original comics.

Sure, he was deadly. But in terms of personally he came of more like a man child, unable to take a hint that Death wasn't interested in him. No matter how powerful he became.
Hell yeah. I never liked Thanos from the original comics and never got why people had such a hardon for the character. It certainly didn't help that his creator Jim Starlin used him numerous times whenever he wrote Cosmic Marvel.

The MCU on the other hand gave him depth and charisma. Thanos for me is the reason why Avengers: Infinity War is one the best superhero films I've seen and probably one of the best in the MCU. And praise has to be given to Josh Brolin's fine performance.

Last edited:
He has a new video up for the awesome '60s action movie "Where Eagles Dare", which was a big inspiration on both Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

He can be a bit crude at times, but Critical Drinker is a real fan of cinema.

He is on the money about modern villains, they are terrible. I blame postmodernism and moral relativism. People don't know good from bad these days. The concept of objective good and evil itself is anathema. This is why they can't write decent villains.

Their not nearly as good as they used to be. Just watch this video and look at all the iconic rolls. Their all from way back.

oh man, taking a Herzog/Kinski movie (or any classic director/actor combos from the past, or any classic for that matter) and comparing it to modern 'cinema' is just theatre of the absurd. so many decades of great cinema from around the world, so many great movies that cannot be compared to most modern offerings. tcm just had 'The Producers' on the other night, i forgot how great it was and how the craft behind the movie made it timeless. i'm not seeing this from most modern cinema.

oagboghi2

It's the Critical Drinker, it's his general formula, attack Disney properties, it's all he has.

Outside of Disney movies though you have Calvin Candie from Django Unchained, Terence Fletcher from Whiplash, Amy Dunne from Gone Girl, Rauol Silva from Skyfall, Zero from John Wick 3 and Richard Strickland from The Shape of Water just to name a few.

If Critical Drinker wanted to do a proper analysis of villains in recent films he would have looked outside of Disney films but that would requite to much effort for him.
He does critique films outside off Disney but you wouldn’t know that, because you don’t watch his videos. You are just talking out of your ass.

sol_bad

He does critique films outside off Disney but you wouldn’t know that, because you don’t watch his videos. You are just talking out of your ass.

I only know what gets posted here, and what gets posted here is always lambasting Disney shit.

I don't get why it is a problem that he talks about these movies. These are giant movies, worldwide hits, the biggest films of all time, making billions of dollars. Can they not stand some guy giving 10 minute drunken rants on them from time to time? Is that really some unheard of crime? Must we thought police everyone to the point of not allowing any criticism at all of giant megalithic movie franchises?

Dacon

Banned

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this. Thanos was most certainly menacing in the comics given the absolutely insane shit he did to the heroes, and the reasons for which he did those things. He could literally murder any one of our favorite heroes in fucked up ways at any time, and often did for the most ridiculous reason.

The fact that he was a man child is exactly WHY he was menacing. The petty and vindictive way he would execute his enemies and the means he would use to do so were horrific. His motivations are base but understandable, and ultimately make sense because in the end all he is, is a pathetic man desperate to gain the attentions of a woman who seemed completely uninterested. I mean he literally MADE himself a girlfriend in a pathetic attempt to make Death jealous.

Thanos in the films is absolutely retarded. His plans are fucking moronic, why even use Loki as a proxy in the first film when he and his minions could literally body the universe on their own? His ultimate plan is so fucking stupid a grade schooler could figure out why it wouldn't work and is ultimately pointless.

The universe has finite resources so I'm going to wipe out half the life in the universe, never mind that people would just repopulate and create the problem all over again in a few decades, and the resources they have already depleted are still gone. I have the most powerful weapon in the universe that can literally alter reality, I could make infinite renewable resources, construct new worlds and laws of nature, but I'm going to deal with the problem in the most moronic and surface level way possible.

He doesn't even execute his enemies when he has the chance. He literally destroys the Guardians of the Galaxy and then undoes it when he leaves. Why? Who fucking knows. He has no menace, he doesn't even kill his fucking enemies when theyre not faceless npc characters. The cruelty and insanity of the original is gone, in favor of this banal sense of altruism colored by murder.

The film tries to humanize him in the most idiotic ways too, as if he isn't a monster who sacrificed his "daughter" in the pursuit of an inherently moronic crusade that will achieve nothing in the greater scheme of things. As if he's doing this shit for good reasons.

Movie Thanos is the equivalent of your average teenage twitter poster posting about climate change and how we need to eat bugs and live in pods to survive.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned

What are you even talking about? He does all kinds of films and even game reviews, go figure he’d talk about the biggest high profile stinkers of the last decade, and Disney in general is fascinating for morbid curiosity 👍

GeorgPrime

Banned
What are you even talking about? He does all kinds of films and even game reviews, go figure he’d talk about the biggest high profile stinkers of the last decade, and Disney in general is fascinating for morbid curiosity 👍

Aside from the fact that its nowdays almost impossible to not talk about a movie or tv show that belongs to Disney. lol

Top Bottom