• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cringey monstrosities of E3 in Generation 7

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It’s crazy how no single company has been able to hone in on why they’re successful and deliver more of the same. It’s always like- oh you liked that 360? Now we’ve got a Kinect with a TiVo! Or you thought the PS2 was good? $599! Wii was kewl? Here’s a hodgepodge of outdated bullshit called...Wii U!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gotta respect their risks kinda makes me mad they got shit for that now everyone has chips on their shoulders but still embarrassing, intentional risks.

XBox wasn't weaker because they blown budget on needles shit. It was weaker because MS played safe and from start designed it as console with 8gb of RAM. That means they had to go with DDR3 (and as effect had to use part of transistor budget to create eSRAM) because that much of GDDR5 was prohibitively expensive when that decision was made. Sony at beginning wanted to make 4gb console and were lucky that RAM prices fell as much as they did which allowed them to use 8g of GDDR5. That was huge gamble on their side.
I don't know if you realize that, but XOne APU was bigger than PS4 one. It also run on higher frequencies which makes it's production even more costly due to lower yields.

Didn't they need the 8gb locked in because of Kinect though?

GHG

The whole gen was a shitshow.

Categorically the worst generation of games and consoles to ever exist.

Hudo

Final Fantasy 7 for PS4... but it was the PSX edition.
Ue90yn7.gif

Note the "Ultima Troll".
I genuinely believe that this is the day where FF7 Remake development started.

the problem with Kinect, Moves and Wii were the crapload of minigames

and I regret to say this trend continues in VR, although at least it also got a fair share of respectable games, even ports of major games that were never a reality of that pre-headset VR gaming on TV

I mean look at that kid faking she's petting a virtual animal on tv. today she can actually touch life-sized virtual pets in front of her, brush them, give them snacks

we've come a long way

Yoboman

What was the booth babe situation during this time? All I cringe about is sweaty guys without good hygiene getting photos with the booth babes.
I believe they faded away during that gen from memory but they were big in the PS2 era

Top Bottom