• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Complete DOOM Series - Official Nintendo Switch Trailer

A legendary game series. I was an OG DOOM fan and it is great to be able to say I still really love the new games. There was a good chunk of time when DOOM was out of commission, but nowadays, it is time to celebrate.

I still remember the day a friend of mine gave me that 3.5" floppy disk in school containing the entire first episode. How do you fit so much badassness on 1.44MB?

MiguelItUp

I'm one of the few people that thinks every DOOM game is brilliant. Each has its own pros and cons, sure. But, they're all incredible, IMO.

I do not have a bias whatsoever. 👀

I WILL say, I'd love for us to get another DOOM game in the future that's incredibly dark and mature. DOOM 3-like, but feels more like the originals and not so, different, though I still loved it too! Maybe something like a DOOM 3 + DOOM 2016 mash-up.

carlosrox

Banned
Will this collection only be avaibale on switch?
Don't think it's a collection. They're just advertising that they're all on Switch.

Doom 3 has the best atmosphere/soundscape in all of gaming. If you think otherwise then you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's the gift that keeps on giving. I've played the game numerous times and each time I notice new details. Every inch of that game has layers of sound, it's ridiculous.

The only game I can think of that comes close is Dead Space.

carlosrox

Banned
I'm one of the few people that thinks every DOOM game is brilliant. Each has its own pros and cons, sure. But, they're all incredible, IMO.

I do not have a bias whatsoever. 👀

I WILL say, I'd love for us to get another DOOM game in the future that's incredibly dark and mature. DOOM 3-like, but feels more like the originals and not so, different, though I still loved it too! Maybe something like a DOOM 3 + DOOM 2016 mash-up.

This all the way. They're all solid games with pros and cons.

I do think the first two are a little too hard/obtuse though. Plus I don't like the music in those much either. I much prefer the horror style used in PS1, 64, and 3. 2016 was a pretty solid entry and in some ways Eternal improved on it, but in some ways it was worse.

An in between of 3 and 2016 would be perfect.

MiguelItUp

This all the way. They're all solid games with pros and cons.

I do think the first two are a little too hard/obtuse though. Plus I don't like the music in those much either. I much prefer the horror style used in PS1, 64, and 3. 2016 was a pretty solid entry and in some ways Eternal improved on it, but in some ways it was worse.

An in between of 3 and 2016 would be perfect.
I can definitely agree with that, they're just classics for obvious reasons, haha. I love the music as it was so nostalgic, but I'm definitely down for the more drone-y horror sounding vibes for sure. The PS1 OST was WILD when you compared it to 1 and 2. Changed the vibe completely. Loved the 64 OST too.

DOOM scared the shit out of me as a child, so understandably I'd want it to maintain horror and dread vibes, haha.

Loke

Doom 3 is the best game in the series overall.

Yeah, yeah, I know. "Doom 3 sucks". Pfft.

At least they tried to do something different with it even though it always didn't work. I respect that. Doom 3 is still an excellent game IMO, I replay it from time to time.

Astral Dog

i think Eternal is better than 2016 in almost every way(except maybe the bosses) and the best DOOM overall 🥰 such a cool game! the amount of new mechanics, collectibles, enemies and new areas to explore is impressive as hell 🔥

Like when i see people complain its a bad game(!) due to its 'lack of simplicity, platforming, difficulty, art, gimmicky areas, gamey look' or whatever idk what they drinking, because Eternal is so beautifully designed 🥺

Astral Dog

At least they tried to do something different with it even though it always didn't work. I respect that. Doom 3 is still an excellent game IMO, I replay it from time to time.
The problem is, i can't play 3 after 2016 and Eternal 🤭 it feels dreadful. dark and slow, the environments are hit or miss, the DLC is pretty solid however 👌

Like, there are games such as Dead Space 1/2 that do DOOM3 much better, they made the right choice overhauling the gameplay and art for the reboot.

Loke

it feels dreadful. dark and slow the DLC is pretty solid however 👌

The slow gameplay is why I like it though, it's such a change of pace from the extremely fast paced action of the previous games. The only things I really don't like are the monster closets and monsters spawning behind your ass. The bosses are crap as well.

the DLC is pretty solid however 👌

Yeah, Resurrection of Evil was good. It's in more spirit of the earlier games with more fast paced action and less horror.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Doom2>Doom64>Doom>Doom3>Doom2016>Doom Eternal

what a game series! When it originally released when I was 13, I never would have thought the mod community for Doom would still be going all these years later!
Nah bro.

Doom>Eternal>2016>Doom2(wads don't count)>Doom64>Doom3

Doom 2's level design sucks ass most of the game and Doom 3's shotgun sucks dirty donkey ass, while also most of the cooler demons are nerfed like the Cacodemon or the Revenant.

I don't get the hate on Eternal too. Yeah it might not be the classic formula, but it's hella fun.

Animagic

Banned
Nah bro.

Doom>Eternal>2016>Doom2(wads don't count)>Doom64>Doom3

Doom 2's level design sucks ass most of the game and Doom 3's shotgun sucks dirty donkey ass, while also most of the cooler demons are nerfed like the Cacodemon or the Revenant.

I don't get the hate on Eternal too. Yeah it might not be the classic formula, but it's hella fun.
I can’t look at the original doom games objectively, I admit.
but I would rather play the originals than any of the newer sequels of doom.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I can’t look at the original doom games objectively, I admit.
but I would rather play the originals than any of the newer sequels of doom.
While I love the new games I also can agree with you my man, the classic DOOMs are timeless, imo specially the first one.

Futaleufu

Doom2>Doom64>Doom>Doom3>Doom2016>Doom Eternal

what a game series! When it originally released when I was 13, I never would have thought the mod community for Doom would still be going all these years later!
I hope the new management reinstates modding as primordial content for the next game. Classic Doom made modding what it is today.

8bitpill

giphy.gif

jdforge

Banned
Sorry for the mega bump. I bought DOOM on sale recently for like £6 on Switch.

Just had to post how utterly amazing this game is. I’ve never played a DOOM game before but what a blast this is.

Any Switch owners who haven’t played this buy it now.

TintoConCasera

Sorry for the mega bump. I bought DOOM on sale recently for like £6 on Switch.

Just had to post how utterly amazing this game is. I’ve never played a DOOM game before but what a blast this is.

Any Switch owners who haven’t played this buy it now.
They added custom campaings support, right? I remember playing Sigil on the Switch, good shit.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Doom 3 has the best atmosphere/soundscape in all of gaming. If you think otherwise then you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's the gift that keeps on giving. I've played the game numerous times and each time I notice new details. Every inch of that game has layers of sound, it's ridiculous.

The only game I can think of that comes close is Dead Space.
Ngl, this makes me want to play it. Love Dead Space's atmosphere and I've never beaten DOOM 3

TintoConCasera

Honestly I’m not sure. I thought I was at the end of the game but then
they sent me to hell and the game went from great to legendary
Bro I love how you use spoilers for a game from 1993. I think you are at the third episode maybe.

I think there should be an "Add-ons" section in the main menu for the custom capaigns I mentioned. Check it out.

Top Bottom