• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Coalition's Xbox Series X|S's Unreal Engine 5 Demo Is Just the Tip of the Iceberg

The character model looks great, but we need to see some animation as well. If the motion capture and animation doesn't match that quality, it's gonna fall really flat.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
To quote the famous life teacher, jenna jameson: You need to show more than a tip to get me excited...

Last edited:

martino

MS marketing is so strange sometime.
The error was to release that on youtube and if they had to release it somewhere it should have been the whole presentation explaining what they did.

Godot25

Banned
It's nice to see some people willingly ignore fact, that last year's demo was created to sell engine to public and developers. That's why it was polished as hell.

TC's demo was more about finding boundaries and getting grasps with engine. VRS is not even there and many other promised features too...

I mean, if there is some studio, were I be calm in terms of Unreal Engine usage is Coalition. Gears 5 is probably best looking game on Unreal 4 and I fully expect them to continue in this trend with UE5.

Evilms

Banned
xbox fanboys are still on the defensive as far as I can see
8RarDHE.png

calm down, it's only a video game
hPfY9tg.png

Vasto

It's nice to see some people willingly ignore fact, that last year's demo was created to sell engine to public and developers. That's why it was polished as hell.

TC's demo was more about finding boundaries and getting grasps with engine. VRS is not even there and many other promised features too...

I mean, if there is some studio, were I be calm in terms of Unreal Engine usage is Coalition. Gears 5 is probably best looking game on Unreal 4 and I fully expect them to continue in this trend with UE5.

They know but this is just what they choose to do. :messenger_winking:

JackMcGunns

Then they should have showed the iceberg and not the tip.

The demo was underwhelming.

The demo wasn't for you to see, it was a developers conference talk, nothing of it was meant to be fluff for the average joe to goo goo gaga over like the UE5 demo released to the mainstream, but everyone wanted to see it anyway, so they were kind enough to share, but now we know why most companies don't do this, because uneducated gamers immediately start making unfair comparisons and drawing ridiculous conclusions.

Three

Gold Member
The usual suspects in here talking shit and posting static room pictures like it provides proof.

This should not be confused with what epic showed last year. Their demo was to sell licenses of their engine. Not even close
Except it was the usual suspects who were saying The Coalition will show Epic how it's done and guess what that corridor in the Alpha point demo was also static so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I mean take a look at the first page of this thread and the users who were hyping this to the moon and back and those who were asking what's going to be special about it and to temper expectations:

CamHostage

Yeah, talking up the tech demo for a developer conference was always going to lead to heart ache. This wasn't something they should've hyped - now people think this is what their team and their hardware can achieve, as opposed to being a floor for "this is where we are in terms of workflow, with over a year of fulltime work to go before the engine itself is even ready for proper release".

If only you had worked at Microsoft PR... 📍

Because there were ways of contextualizing this for general audiences. Something better could have been done so that this material was ready to be out for the public to get a glimpse (and more importantly, for developers who were not able to attend GDC to see the full talk and to glean info necessary to understand the status and outlook of developing a retail product on this emerging technology for the console,) while still making it very clear the purpose and the early status of projects like this.

Like, they could have produced a simple wraparound video (beyond the tech talk, which was interesting but nowhere near simple,) that introed these projects with an audience-friendly version of what you said: about how the UE5 you've seen elsewhere have been fun and cool experiments but that developers still have a lot of work ahead to harness this technology before it's ready to make your next favorite video game. Something like that could have helped.

The opposite of that would have been to promote it online, release it straight up on the Xbox channel using the description "an early look at what’s possible with Unreal Engine 5 on Xbox Series X|S", and then ring up IGN saying it's just the tip of the iceberg...

Leyasu

Banned
Except it was the usual suspects who were saying The Coalition will show Epic how it's done and guess what that corridor in the Alpha point demo was also static so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I mean take a look at the first page of this thread and the users who were hyping this to the moon and back and those who were asking what's going to be special about it and to temper expectations:

Lol yeah that thread. The first page is amazing

Corndog

Banned
The character model looks great, but we need to see some animation as well. If the motion capture and animation doesn't match that quality, it's gonna fall really flat.
I don’t think animation has anything to do with what they were showing. It’s seems like this was more to test various aspects of UE5 and let them know what to target.
That said is was a bit disappointing in that they chose a rocky environment just like epic.

Top Bottom