• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story - Murder Mystery FMV adventure game by Square Enix - Gameplay & Story Trailer

SteamBanner_About.gif

The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story is a new unique mystery-adventure game.
Directed by Koichiro Ito, and with Yasuhito Tachibana as the Cinematographer and Scenario Director, beautiful yet thrilling live-action footage intertwines with mysteries to solve, creating highly immersive gameplay.

The player follows a chain of murders which take place over the span of a century. Four murders have been committed in three different time periods - 1922, 1972, and 2022.
Each episode is comprised of three parts, the Incident phase, the Reasoning phase, and the Solution phase, inviting the player to seamlessly enter into this world of mystery.
Explore these time periods, collect multiple clues, and solve a 100-year mystery.

SteamBanner_Story.gif

The Shijima family have suffered a chain of inexplicable deaths over the past century.
When Haruka Kagami, a mystery novelist, visits the Shiijmas, she finds herself taking on four different murder cases - occurring at different points in time.

The red camellia and the Fruit of Youth, which invite only death.
And the truth behind it all, waiting to be uncovered...

SteamBanner_Gameplay.gif

Haruka Kagami, the main character, is an up-and-coming mystery writer.
Play as Haruka Kagami and pit your wits against the murder cases.

Each murder case comprises of three parts.

The Incident phase: See the entire murder as it unfolds, from start to end. The keys needed to solve the mysteries surrounding the murder can always be found in the video itself.

The Reasoning phase: Put together the [Clues] and [Mysteries] found during the Incident phase and create a hypothesis in your cognitive space. You can create multiple hypotheses, but not all of them will be correct. Some things you uncover may lead you down the wrong path.

The Solution phase: Pin down the killer based on the hypothesis you created in the Reasoning phase. Select the correct hypothesis to determine the killer. When facing a trickier culprit, they may attempt to refute your claims, so strike back with your reasoning!

It comes out tomorrow. I think the reasoning puzzles look cool and I hope the mysteries themselves are good as well. I'm interested in seeing how this reviews, I'm assuming it'll get more coverage than similar games of its kind since Square is behind it.

Elios83

The concept is interesting and I have a soft spot for these adventure games that remind me when I started to play games on PC in the 90s.
But 50€???? Good luck Square Enix :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
If the reviews are good I'm getting it but most people won't care at this price.

Last edited:
The concept is interesting and I have a soft spot for these adventure games that remind me when I started to play games on PC in the 90s.
But 50€???? Good luck Square Enix :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
If the reviews are good I'm getting it but most people won't care at this price.
I agree that the price is way too high for something that's outside of the average gamer's wheelhouse. It being a Square Enix game might cause some extra eyes to be on it but 50 dollars is not a "this looks kinda cool, let's take a chance" price.

Unfortunately this seems to be a consistent issue with Japanese devs. I really like the Spirit Hunter games but they're hard to recommend at 50 dollars each.

Saw this on the store as well. Love finding obscure games I've never heard of.

Been really considering more story focused games after Citizen Sleeper. Haven't played a FMV game in like 20 years. I'll keep an eye on this after multiple price cuts.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Square Enix should have asked whoever valued this at 50 bucks, to value that part of SE before it was sold for peanuts.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Will buy when this is inevitably discounted to £15. I love the fact that weird games like this are still being made/getting a global release, but virtually every comment in the thread is about the price.

If people are interested in this I can't recommend 428 Shibuya Scramble enough. Regularly on deep discount in PSN sales.

Will buy when this is inevitably discounted to £15. I love the fact that weird games like this are still being made/getting a global release, but virtually every comment in the thread is about the price.

If people are interested in this I can't recommend 428 Shibuya Scramble enough. Regularly on deep discount in PSN sales.
Yep, I got that for $10 on sale. It's in my backlog. Deep in my backlog.

Yeah, 428 is exceptional and needs to be played by anyone who has even a small interest in VNs or Japanese games. It is an equal to Yakuza when it comes to the perfect balance of serious drama and humor.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom