• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Catch All Sports Thread

fatty

For those of us who love sports, but don’t want to start a new topic every time we see something noteworthy.

I thought this was pretty neat, a story about NFL receiver DK Metcalf who is really fast, decides to test himself against track and field stars after receiving an invite.

Arizona Cardinals safety Budda Baker intercepted a Russell Wilson pass at the 2-yard line and appeared to have a clear path for a pick six. In a display of remarkable speed and effort, the 6-foot-4, 229-pound Metcalf sprinted more than 100 yards to chase down Baker shy of the goal line and deny the Cardinals a touchdown.

Amid the buzz over Metcalf’s feat, USA Track & Field sent a tongue-in-cheek tweet encouraging the second-year pro to test himself against “real speed” at the upcoming Olympic Trials. Only days later, Metcalf’s agent dialed USA Track & Field’s Adam Schmenk and revealed his client was serious about training for the 100 meters.

The announcement that Metcalf would trade his football cleats for track spikes on Sunday sparked a mixture of intrigue and skepticism.

On one hand, Metcalf is undeniably one of the NFL’s fastest players. At the 2019 NFL scouting combine, he ran a 4.33-second 40-yard dash — 11 hundredths of a second shy of John Ross’ record time. The max speed Metcalf reached while chasing down Baker was one of the highest clocked by an NFL player last season.

And here is how he did:

Finished last but still very respectable.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
HkxrvbG88u9vXLuX_uBWhrnh2p4XMb5nl8PsdRYZw9dBz06MwyG3vjdULqnOjYoCjSBHprqomhCOzq4TPB6dF5Y_Nz7IvFDtLhktkEP_lsqb

buttfumble-gif.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dallas Stars missed the playoffs. They were in the finals last year. Disaster season.

- Started the year with covid and were always behind in games played, so it looked odd playing catch up
- Seguin missed the entire season except for 2-3 games the past week
- Radulov only played about 10 games
- Jamie Benn keeps getting worse every year
- Goalie Khodubin had a lucky playoffs last year. His stats were nothing special this season. Rookie back up Jake Oettinger played almost as many games and even had better stats. If they played Oettinger more, they probably would have made the playoffs as they're only going to finish a few wins behind Nashville for the last spot
- The Blackhawks (a team expected to be bad this year) will end up only about 4 pts behind Dallas

fatty

Tim Tebow is back.

After a six-year hiatus, Tim Tebow is coming back to the NFL. The Jaguarsplan to sign the former NFL quarterback to a one-year deal, CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones confirmed. As previously report, Tebow will play tight end for the Jaguars.

I’m actually rooting for the guy, seems like a pretty good dude.

It will also be interesting to see how Urban Meyer does in the NFL. I don’t care for him.

I have a question for any hardcore hockey fans. I've always been a big sports fan, both participating and viewing, and while I enjoy watching hockey, I'm not so familiar with the nuances like I am with other sports.

So my question is, why, in hockey, is it so common for the lower seeded playoff teams to beat the bigger seeds? (even 8-1 match-ups - not sure how many playoff participants there are currently.) Sure it can happen in other sports, but not with the regularity it seems to occur in hockey. It almost appears to invalidate the regular season much of the time. I don't get how so many teams can be so good for such a long stretch and then just fail to replicate that in the post-season. I know the intensity is ramped up in the playoffs, but it should be for everyone. Always been such a mystery to me.

SpiceRacz

I really hope Aaron Rodgers gets traded. I feel like the Packers have wasted a large portion of his career. It's a fucking shame.

SpiceRacz

I have a question for any hardcore hockey fans. I've always been a big sports fan, both participating and viewing, and while I enjoy watching hockey, I'm not so familiar with the nuances like I am with other sports.

So my question is, why, in hockey, is it so common for the lower seeded playoff teams to beat the bigger seeds? (even 8-1 match-ups - not sure how many playoff participants there are currently.) Sure it can happen in other sports, but not with the regularity it seems to occur in hockey. It almost appears to invalidate the regular season much of the time. I don't get how so many teams can be so good for such a long stretch and then just fail to replicate that in the post-season. I know the intensity is ramped up in the playoffs, but it should be for everyone. Always been such a mystery to me.

Parity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NHL playoffs just started and it's already awesome.

Isles beat Pitt again. Pitt's strategy of relying on high powered offence and "please D and G hold up" doesn't seem to be working last bunch of years. Since their cup in 2017, their playoff performance has been terrible. Pitt goalie is terrible. Isles won in OT 4-3 on a super sharp angle goal.

Vegas and Minny had a 1-0 OT Minny win. Possibly the best goaltending I've seen in a game since one of those Thatcher Demko games last year.

Florida/TB on now and it's a ruckus. Florida goal just got called off (fans booing), and TB scored like 20 seconds later right now on a SH goal! The Florida called off goal looked legit to me and the announcers thought so too, but the refs thought a Flo guy bumped the goalie enough for interference. lol. Duclair just got nailed from behind for a boarding call.

Commentator: "You don't retaliate, a call is coming your way. But you take numbers."

And Flo just scored on the PP!

This series is going to be awesome.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looked like the usual Florida Panthers alright. Live and die trying to run and gun. Admittedly, it worked great this regular season. But the past 5 years as a whole, it hasn't.

Last edited:

Erdrick

Jets fan here. I'm hyped for game 3 tonight against the Oilers. We've deservedly been the underdog for this series and thus far, up 2-0 in the series with a 1-0 OT win on Friday. As long as we continue to contain McDavid and Draistatl, we could potentially pull off a series win. But still tons of work to do, so tonight and tomorrow will be key if the Jets can have any measure of success moving forward. Luckily, we have Connor Hellebuyck, who is quite possibly, the best goalie in the NHL these days.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jets fan here. I'm hyped for game 3 tonight against the Oilers. We've deservedly been the underdog for this series and thus far, up 2-0 in the series with a 1-0 OT win on Friday. As long as we continue to contain McDavid and Draistatl, we could potentially pull off a series win. But still tons of work to do, so tonight and tomorrow will be key if the Jets can have any measure of success moving forward. Luckily, we have Connor Hellebuyck, who is quite possibly, the best goalie in the NHL these days.
Nash just won! Huge upset if they pull off the series.

I'm a dumpy Leafs fan, so I have no skin the game with the Edm/Win series. But if I had to pick a second fav Canadian team it would be Jets. Hawerchuk and Steen back in the day and then Selanne. But burned being in the SMythe division with Oilers and Flames.

Im indifferent to McDavid, but enjoy seeing them lose. Such one dimensional drafting stacking on high powered forwards has done them nothing in 10 years.

They are just like Philly. Some reason they have a focus on forwards but always consider defence and goaltending as laggards, where they hope the forwards will carry the load to victory. Doable to kick ass in the regular season where half the teams are shit, but different to pull off in the playoffs.

Jets look good. And somehow they went into the playoffs on a bad streak, but turned it on at the right time.

Check out Edm's drafting history. Last time they drafted a goalie in first round was Dubnyk in 2004.

Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

Winnipeg is a much more balanced team, although McDavid/Draisaitl are the two best players in the series. Overall, I'd put McDavid #1 in the league and Draisaitl 3rd or 4th. Mackinnon #2. Kucherov is up there too (assuming hes healthy).

Such a waste Edm's got two of the best players in the league for years and cant even make the playoffs half the time.

Last edited:

Erdrick

Nash just won! Huge upset if they pull off the series.

I'm a dumpy Leafs fan, so I have no skin the game with the Edm/Win series. But if I had to pick a second fav Canadian team it would be Jets. Hawerchuk and Steen back in the day and then Selanne. But burned being in the SMythe division with Oilers and Flames.

Im indifferent to McDavid, but enjoy seeing them lose. Such one dimensional drafting stacking on high powered forwards has done them nothing in 10 years.

They are just like Philly. Some reason they have a focus on forwards but always consider defence and goaltending as laggards, where they hope the forwards will carry the load to victory. Doable to kick ass in the regular season where half the teams are shit, but different to pull off in the playoffs.

Jets look good. And somehow they went into the playoffs on a bad streak, but turned it on at the right time.

Check out Edm's drafting history. Last time they drafted a goalie in first round was Dubnyk in 2004.

Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

Winnipeg is a much more balanced team, although McDavid/Draisaitl are the two best players in the series. Overall, I'd put McDavid #1 in the league and Draisaitl 3rd or 4th. Mackinnon #2. Kucherov is up there too (assuming hes healthy).

Such a waste Edm's got two of the best players in the league for years and cant even make the playoffs half the time.

I just want a damn NHL team based in Winnipeg to actually win a series against Edmonton. My entire childhood was basically 6 series with utter destruction at their hands. We got Ehlers back tonight so... That'll help our odds nicely. We've been insanely better defensively and I have to wonder if the team just took it easy on purpose during that 7 game losing streak last month. Because this team looks like it's in another league.

fatty

I’ve got to hand it to you hockey fans. I never really watched much hockey (or golf), but the video game versions of both have been excellent.

And what sport out there let’s you score by ricocheting a puck off of a referee’s groin?

But seriously, the hand/eye coordination that hockey players have, all while doing it on skates, is really mind blowing.

Edit: They have some of the best celebrations too:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’ve got to hand it to you hockey fans. I never really watched much hockey (or golf), but the video game versions of both have been excellent.

And what sport out there let’s you score by ricocheting a puck off of a referee’s groin?

But seriously, the hand/eye coordination that hockey players have, all while doing it on skates, is really mind blowing.

Edit: They have some of the best celebrations too:

Yup.

And people who have never played ice hockey in any way don't realize how much harder it is to play on ice. Any kid growing up can get good at street hockey where you run and shoot with pinpoint accuracy gripping a stick with your bare hands. Anyone can pick a corner with a tennis ball or those fucking rock hard orange balls.

Playing ice hockey as a half shitty skater with gear and gloves on is totally different. Unless someone grew up playing ice hockey to be decent at it, most people on skates cant even shoot a puck.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL. Beginning of Edm/Jets game. Audio issues.

Scott Oake: "Ron?"....."I cannot hear Ron"..... "I can't hear the show"

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Holy shit. 4-1 Edm. Win scored to make it 4-2 with 8 mins left. Game looks over so I decide to some some chores like cleaning and vacuuming a bit as I got people coming over tomorrow.

Come back to the TV and its 4-4, now going into OT. I missed the two late Jets goals!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Washington already out. They did win a cup in 2018, but they are exactly like the Atlanta Braves. Like 15 seasons in a row of solid regular seasons and only 1 cup. Theyve been bounced from the first round 3 years in a row.

Jets pulled off a crazy comeback. Jets up 3-0. Another crash and burn Oilers season.

Erdrick

Holy shit. 4-1 Edm. Win scored to make it 4-2 with 8 mins left. Game looks over so I decide to some some chores like cleaning and vacuuming a bit as I got people coming over tomorrow.

Come back to the TV and its 4-4, now going into OT. I missed the two late Jets goals!

I'm still in shock that they pulled it off. Was pretty much expecting a rout by the time it was 4-1. Insane comeback and win. Tomorrow gonna be Oilers in full desperation mode.

Erdrick

Still recovering from that triple OT game last night where the Jets completed the sweep of the Oilers. Finally, after so long, an NHL team from Winnipeg beats the Edmonton Oilers. My younger self would be over the moon for this. Now the team can rest a bit while the Leafs and Habs duke it out to decide who we face.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like Gretzky bailing ship from Oilers. What a surprise, the day after they get swept.

When it comes to coaching or being part owner with Phoenix or Edmonton, everything sinks like a rock.

Wayne Gretzky announces on Twitter that he is stepping away from his Oilers Vice Chairman role effective immediately. "Given the pandemic and other life changes, I realize I will not be able to dedicate the time nor effort needed to support this world-class organization."

Last edited:

fatty

Naomi Osaka fined $15,000 for media boycott, warned about escalating consequences​

The French Open, plus the three other Grand Slam tournaments, issued a joint statement Sunday announcing that world No. 2 Naomi Osaka has been fined $15,000 for skipping her media obligationsfollowing her Round 1 win against Patricia Maria Țigat Roland-Garros. Osaka was also warned about the consequences of continuing to skip media sessions, which could be a whole lot worse than a $15,000 fine.

Osaka said last week that she would not participate in any of her contractually mandated media obligations during the French Open due to mental health concerns.

Wonder how far she will hold her stance. Maybe she might pull a Marshawn Lynch?

fatty

I meant to get around to posting this last week about the rivalry between Koepka and Deshambeat.

A pretty good article on the history between the two golfers.

Magic Johnson vs. Larry Bird. Mark McGwire vs. Sammy Sosa. Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova. Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier. Brooks Koepka vs. Bryson DeChambeau?

All right, maybe the last duo hasn't quite reached the threshold of the aforementioned epic sports rivalries, seeing as how Koepka and DeChambeau have yet to face off in a final pairing.

But if that day should ever come, the ongoing feud between the golf stars promises to make the green resemble a middle-school classroom in which you regrettably found yourself in an assigned seat next to the person who started a rumor that you ate paste in elementary school.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can't stop watching this replay. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Guy should get demoted to AAA.

Naomi Osaka fined $15,000 for media boycott, warned about escalating consequences​

Wonder how far she will hold her stance. Maybe she might pull a Marshawn Lynch?

That's pro athletes for ya. Major attitude issues.

Make millions of $$$ and all the sport and sponsors ask is to show your face and answer canned questions for 10 minutes with equally canned answers. The purpose being to promote the sport. That's good enough. No fan expects Einstein answers considering most of them probably havent even graduated high school, but just be pleasant and show up for 10 minutes is good enough.

But once an athlete hits big money status, the attitude changes and they do their own thing. Notice how no up and coming low salary athletes ever brush off media.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I meant to get around to posting this last week about the rivalry between Koepka and Deshambeat.

A pretty good article on the history between the two golfers.

A guy getting pissed because another dude walked behind him. Even losing his train of thought?

Sounds unbelievable and staged. But awesome of true.

Vegas Golden Knights being a bunch of pussy ass bitches as usual. Also getting spanked in the playoffs, as usual.

Colorado has a 9 minute powerplay now lol.

Go Avs!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Vegas Golden Knights being a bunch of pussy ass bitches as usual. Also getting spanked in the playoffs, as usual.

Colorado has a 9 minute powerplay now lol.

Go Avs!

LOL. I was just going to post this. What an embarrassment for Vegas.

Out of all the hockey games I've watched in life. Got to be 1000s. I have never see a 9 minute powerplay.

Last edited:

DeviantBoi

fatty

2041c81f4ba751acacf4a612ce7be3cd

(Reuters) - Belgian weightlifter Anna Vanbellinghen said allowing transgender New Zealand athlete Laurel Hubbard to compete in the women's event at the Tokyo Olympics is unfair and that the situation is "like a bad joke".

Hubbard, who competed in men's competitions before transitioning in 2013, is set to become the first transgender athlete to compete at the Olympics after weightlifting's governing body modified qualifying requirements for Tokyo.

The 43-year-old still has to satisfy the New Zealand Olympic Committee of her fitness and performance standards before selection but the prospect of her participation has already raised questions.

Vanbellinghen, who competes in the same +87kg division as Hubbard, said she fully supported the transgender community but the principle of inclusion should not be "at the expense of others".

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Osaka withdraws from tourney. Cites depression, anxiety and not being a natural speaker.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
She didn’t want to be asked why she does worse on clay. Boohoo. Of course REEEE is turning it into a racist agenda by the sport. Doesn’t matter that the rules apply to the majority of players who are white.

Tams

She didn’t want to be asked why she does worse on clay. Boohoo. Of course REEEE is turning it into a racist agenda by the sport. Doesn’t matter that the rules apply to the majority of players who are white.
She suffers from an issue known as 'badonclay'.

She may well have actual mental health issues. If so, then reisigning was the right thing to do and hopefully she gets the help and rest she needs.

Or she's just being entitled.

I'm not sure.

fatty

Duke Blue Devils basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski to retire after season; Jon Scheyer named successor​

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, who is the winningest coach in Division I men's basketball history and has led the Blue Devils to five national championships in his 41 seasons, will retire after the 2021-22 season, the university announced Wednesday.

"My family and I view today as a celebration," Krzyzewski said in a statement. "Our time at both West Point and Duke has been beyond amazing and we are thankful and honored to have led two college programs at world-class institutions for more than four decades. That, coupled with 11 unforgettable years as the United States National Team coach, has resulted in a remarkable journey. Certainly, I have been blessed to coach some of the finest young men and greatest players in basketball history as a direct result of these unique opportunities. For us, there is no greater joy than being part of our players' respective endeavors through basketball, and more importantly, their lives off the court."

Duke associate head coach Jon Scheyer, who played for Krzyzewski from 2006 to 2010, has been named Krzyzewski's successor. Scheyer will spend the 2021-22 season as coach-in-waiting and will take over after that.

Duke talked to outside candidates about replacing the 74-year-old Krzyzewski, including Harvard coach Tommy Amaker, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Scheyer, who was the lead recruiter of NBA star Jayson Tatumand Class of 2021 No. 3 prospect Paolo Banchero, was Duke's choice to replace Krzyzewski, however.

"The continuation of our culture at Duke is paramount to future success," Krzyzewski said. "That is why I am so grateful that [Duke president] Vincent Price, [athletic director] Kevin White and [incoming athletic director] Nina King determined that Jon Scheyer represents our best path forward. He is clearly ready for this opportunity and has shown it repeatedly throughout his playing career and as a coach on our staff the past eight seasons. Jon is a rising star in our profession and Duke Basketball could not be in better hands in the future."

I am not a fan of Coach K and can’t stand Duke, but I have a lot of respect for what Coach K was able to do there and for college basketball as a whole.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Any of you watching the Boston/Isles NBCSN telecast?

The commentators are so biased to Boston and it's not even Jack Edwards. And I thought NBC games were supposed to be unbiased national telecasts. lol

Top Bottom