• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol - The DF Tech Review + PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ S + PC #StutterStruggle Analysis

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Missing RT reflection is the new God Rays in The Quarry.

Realistically nobody should play that shit on 30FPS, it's already laggy enough on 60FPS.

Sounds like they lowered resolution and/or other visuals for RT implementation as I predicted. I'm curious to know the specific sacrifices and how it compares to PS5 version now, since they have been doing optimizations there as well.

It shows that game was mainly developed on PS5 and than ported on PC and Xbox series.

The game did not sell to their expectation on Xbox and PC is due to lack of optimization. I do not know when these developer will learn if it has issues like these than do not launch a half baked ports, rather just delay it and patch it.

Negative reviews on steam has buried this game on PC.

To Sony and MS credit their port on PC are very much playable from the get go and developer should learn from them.

Last edited:

nowhat

To Sony and MS credit their port on PC are very much playable from the get go and developer should learn from them.
Yeeeaah... Zero Dawn was far from great at launch, and got quite a bit of flack for it. Sackboy was the poster child of shader compilation issues until this game took the crown.

Lysandros

Sounds like they lowered resolution and/or other visuals for RT implementation as I predicted. I'm curious to know the specific sacrifices and how it compares to PS5 version now, since they have been doing optimizations there as well.

Out of curiosity, is there a reliable source for these as of yet besides the blurry mirror reflection and "tweaks" mentioned by the developer? RT reflections 'should' come with some costs normally but just to be sure.

Arioco

Out of curiosity, is there a reliable source for these as of yet besides the blurry mirror reflection and "tweaks" mentioned by the developer? RT reflections 'should' come with some costs normally but just to be sure.

Since the resolution is dynamic anyways I imagine it will drop when the RT reflection are taxing the GPU too much in order to keep the target frame rate. Not sure if it impacts the frame rate any further, but it shouldn't if devs have done their job.

TrebleShot

The graphics are beautiful on the fidelity mode but I can’t do 30 frames anymore it’s not about the smoothness of the camera and movement that’s fine , it’s the input lag and responsiveness that I struggle with.

So I’m playing on the 60 mode and whilst I enjoy it and it does look great this game leans heavily on RT to enhance the visuals. Without the RT it’s like a very good looking PS4 game.

Darsxx82

There he is not claiming that they had to lower the resolution or trim graphic effects to implement RT reflections. In fact, in his previous Tweet he called the lack of RT reflectios at launch a "bug". The fact that it was resolved so quickly is significant.

When he talk about "tweaks" he may be referring to solutions and not sacrifices. For example, visual glitches like the orange fog that it was present at launch.
The game uses dynamic resolution and according to NXG, in XSX quality mode it had an average resolution 15% higher than PS5... The impression from people who play it on XSX is that they don't appreciate IQ drop with RT reflections. That means that, if it exists, the difference is minimal.

PS LittleNigtmares 2 implemented RT on XSX and suffered no resolution or performance cutbacks.

Hugare

It uses dynamic resolution scaling

So obviously, since RT is heavy, the final resolution with DRS would be lower. Same would happen if the game on PS5 didnt have RT reflections, resolution would be higher.

And the game looks/plays just fine on PS5. Have been playing it since launch, finished it yesterday and havent noticed any downgrade in performance or visuals.

Anyway, as mentioned, I finished the game yesterday. Loved it very much. Combat was enjoyable the whole way through, but there were some rough encounters. Two-heads fight with minions is just ridiculous in terms of design. Final boss was also ridiculous for the same reason, but it was doable (finished it on my first try)

The facehugger thing jumping from lockers and big neck bois. Just, why? Was ok for the first time, but so many times?

I usually hate caves/mines/sewer levels in gaming, so the colony part was the weakest for me. But it didnt drag for long, so it was ok. All the other levels were awesome. Loved the diversity.

As mentioned before, I was looking for a 8-10h cinematic linear game after Ragnarok, and I got all that and more with this game. I was absolutely entertained and I want more.

Will buy the DLC for sure

Would be my GOTY if not for Elden Ring.

I was replaying Dead Space while I played Callisto in order to compare both of then. After finishing it, I'll probably make a huge post about the comparison.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

How does this hold up? Don't know if the other version's reflections were this blurry.
NYKFIWv.jpg

FjvORavaUAAoRJi

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
At this point just make fake reflections with port-view or mirrored room on the other side... this is embarrassing.
TBH, the performance mode looks good in this game. Makes me wish they put more polish and features towards 60fps mode and ditched the quality grain mode

Darsxx82

That difference reminds me the lower quality RT reflections seen in the inside of the buildings in the Matrix demo vs PS5 version.
What are you talking about? It was proven that this was a bug that can be fixed by restarting the demo. There were no differences in RT in Matrix demo. LOL

In the case of Calisto Protocol, it clearly shows that in XSX the optimization was lousy and they are launching patches quickly until they have a decent version. Just think that before the day one patch the game on XSX ran at 23fps on average. That tells you a lot about the optimization work on XSX.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In the case of Calisto Protocol, it clearly shows that in XSX the optimization was lousy and they are launching patches quickly until they have a decent version. Just think that before the day one patch the game on XSX ran at 23fps on average. That tells you a lot about the optimization work on XSX.

Not necessarily, it could also be reflective of cert time at the platform holder's end. Remember you have to wait for builds to be approved for publication even after you deliver them. Are devs supposed to hold up every build just because one SKU has issues?

Darsxx82

Not necessarily, it could also be reflective of cert time at the platform holder's end. Remember you have to wait for builds to be approved for publication even after you deliver them. Are devs supposed to hold up every build just because one SKU has issues?

That doesn't make any sense. Patches on consoles are always released at the same time and in this case the game on XSX was released with an absence of important features and with a performance that left something to be desired.

After 2 years it is absurd to think that things are different. In this case the evidence is clear. The developers prioritized the PS5 version for release day and reviews and are fixing the XBOX and PC versions as quickly as possible through patches.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The cert from publishers is very likely just making sure the game boots. If cert was a big factor, games like Life of Tiger or Lichdom Battlemage would never be allowed to release. Let alone last gen SKUs of Cyberpunk.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
After 2 years it is absurd to think that things are different. In this case the evidence is clear. The developers prioritized the PS5 version for release day and reviews and are fixing the XBOX and PC versions as quickly as possible through patches.

This makes zero sense. Its not the same code interfacing with the same system software stack on identical hardware and overseen by the same platform managers!

Maybe some have issues that the other's don't because they are just different?

You're creating a conspiracy scenario when the objective reality is that each build is its own thing, and as a result is subject to advantages and disadvantages inherent to its target platform. Variance should be expected.

Everything is releasing day-and-date in an exact state of parity shouldn't be an expectation particularly when the title is "coming in hot".

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The cert from publishers is very likely just making sure the game boots. If cert was a big factor, games like Life of Tiger or Lichdom Battlemage would never be allowed to release. Let alone last gen SKUs of Cyberpunk.

Nope. Cert doesn't give a toss about frame-rate or "quality". Its a compliance with system standards/requirements checklist with the extent of performance validation being whether it survives a soak test or not.

In fact, its arguable whether even QA have a say. Because performance fluctuates from build-to-build and its a huge and unnecessary administrative burden to constantly deal with. And besides a wobbly or sub-par frame rate is not a class A or B bug, so it can always be KS'd if production decides to go that way.

Last edited:

Zathalus

How is fortnite running on unreal engine 5.1 at a higher resolution on the series X but the unreal engine 4 game is struggling on series X?

It has to be the devs right?
It should be. If it was a heavy custom engine then I could buy it not playing nice with the Xbox GPU, but seeing it is Unreal 4 and it has problems on PC I am just going to assume they are likely not that great with DX12.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
How is fortnite running on unreal engine 5.1 at a higher resolution on the series X but the unreal engine 4 game is struggling on series X?

I was interested in this, I will not buy it now because of the low effort. I'll play if it turns up on GP.

Darsxx82

This makes zero sense. Its not the same code interfacing with the same system software stack on identical hardware and overseen by the same platform managers!

Maybe some have issues that the other's don't because they are just different?

You're creating a conspiracy scenario when the objective reality is that each build is its own thing, and as a result is subject to advantages and disadvantages inherent to its target platform. Variance should be expected.

Everything is releasing day-and-date in an exact state of parity shouldn't be an expectation particularly when the title is "coming in hot".
2 years of generation and such a degree of disparity between versions has not been seen except in very exceptional cases. The game on XSX is launched with an absence of important features and bad performance compared to the PS5 version.

In the space of a week the game in XSX has gone from performing at 23fps without RT reflections to 30fps with RT reflections..... It is a clear sign that the optimization was delayed.

I have not created a conspiracy scenario, it is simply obvious that they preferred to have a decently optimized version for the launch and reviews and had to "abandon" the rest of the versions for a while, surely under pressure from the publisher.
When choosing, the version with marketing (PS5) was logically chosen.

Hugare

The funny thing is: there is probably only one mirror during the entire game, and it's this one

I dont remember seeing Jacob reflected in a mirror for the rest of the game

But people will make a huge deal about this (they are already)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Game looks like a switch game on the OG Xbox one. A blurry mess of a game. Clearly no effort was put into the Xbox versions.

Ive seen twitter say that 200 Sony devs were hired for this game. It makes sense the Xbox versions didnt get any love.

We saw this a couple of months ago with Plague tale with the PS5 doing 32 FPS in the same scene the XSX was a locked 40 fps in. That same scene was running at like 22 fps before some optimization patches. That studio just has more experience with Microsoft consoles.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The graphics are beautiful on the fidelity mode but I can’t do 30 frames anymore it’s not about the smoothness of the camera and movement that’s fine , it’s the input lag and responsiveness that I struggle with.

So I’m playing on the 60 mode and whilst I enjoy it and it does look great this game leans heavily on RT to enhance the visuals. Without the RT it’s like a very good looking PS4 game.

That's pretty much what this gen is gonna be. PS4 graphics at 60fps and higher resolution, or actual next-gen graphics at 30fps. The leap in processing power isn't big enough to do both at once.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The funny thing is: there is probably only one mirror during the entire game, and it's this one

I dont remember seeing Jacob reflected in a mirror for the rest of the game

But people will make a huge deal about this (they are already)

We have a game here that is implementing 3 different types of RT applications. It is interesting from a tech perspective since it is heavily using a feature that is distinctly current gen. Consider how many ill informed (including DF) believed that peak teraflop and memory bandwidth spec was/are the deciding factor for RT performance, then you can understand why this is an interesting discussion to be had.

Also, it's not just the mirror, in fact that mirror is probably the least interesting example of RT reflections in the game. DF spoke about the diffuse reflections as well which are typically more expensive.

LMAO omg why even bother

Because you would have platform conspiracy theorist claiming that Sony contractually mandated for RT to be removed from Xbox version. The developers are more comfortable with these conspiracy theorist insisting that Sony required Series X RT to be lower quality.

Moral of this entire ordeal - you can't reason with or satisfy a console warrior.

Hugare

We have a game here that is implementing 3 different types of RT applications. It is interesting from a tech perspective since it is heavily using a feature that is distinctly current gen. Consider how many ill informed (including DF) believed that peak teraflop and memory bandwidth spec was/are the deciding factor for RT performance, then you can understand why this is an interesting discussion to be had.

Also, it's not just the mirror, in fact that mirror is probably the least interesting example of RT reflections in the game. DF spoke about the diffuse reflections as well which are typically more expensive.

Because you would have platform conspiracy theorist claiming that Sony contractually mandated for RT to be removed from Xbox version. The developers are more comfortable with these conspiracy theorist insisting that Sony required Series X RT to be lower quality.

Moral of this entire ordeal - you can't reason with or satisfy a console warrior.
Diffuse reflections, as mentioned by DF, are present on "stone, rough metals"

And you can see the example during the video that the refflection is not defined, so it being high/low resolution has no impact to the visuals

There are tons of reflective materials in the game, but Jacob's reflection on them is just an orange blob. So what's the point in discussing which console has the most defined orange blob?

But I guess I'm trying to find reason in children console warring

Last edited:
Top Bottom