• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol - The DF Tech Review + PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ S + PC #StutterStruggle Analysis

FingerBang

I don't read the phrasing of "similar" and "on par" as being different in any substantial way, so I'm going to go ahead and disagree with your claims of mischaracterization.

Even saying "at least as well" is just another way of saying they should at least be equal (like the other 95% of multiplat games out there), which is not all that different from saying they should perform similarly.

BUT if I misread what you were intending to say, then I do apologize.
Pretty much what I meant with my comment. To elaborate, theoretically the XSX should be able to perform better from a hardware perspective but even if the developers were to go for perfect parity, the XSX should not have those issues and the missing RT effects. Hence the "at least as well".

I don't understand why people just can't deal with it and feel personally attacked. I also think the PS5 is by far the console to get since, you know, it has exclusive games.

I'm not going to go through all 10 pages of this thread, but this is from the first 2 pages alone:

This one had 9 likes:

ChiefDada ChiefDada in reply to someone saying performance should be similar on PS5/XSX and these results don’t make sense (ChiefDada's post had 4 likes as well):

@M1chl claiming “API” is the reason for the feature/performance differences between PS5/XSX (3 likes):

Ya'll aren't following the thread if you don't think people were claiming this was an XSX performance issue.

Well the argument about APIs doesn't necessarily mean the Series is incapable of it. RT is handled a little differently on each platform. Definitely a possibility that it was easier for them to do on one platform when compared to another. However like the devs said its coming to the Series version.

Also just a recommendation don't fall for trolls here. Hunnybun was banned for it in the past and its a shame to see people fall for it again.

Your not keeping a list of who liked what correct? I mean I get what you said but I don't believe it's that serious. I certainly don't maintain some document where I track what people liked or said.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't disagree there. At this point, the only major dev with a near (emphasis on near) spotless track record for day 1 releases is Sony. Pokémon Scarlet/Violet was a black eye for Nintendo.

But gamers gonna game, so...
Seems the patch is out.

The Callisto Protocol 1.07 Patch Notes:
  • Addressed random stuttering issues.
  • Fixed game crashing issues.
  • Fixed frame rate drop bugs.
  • Addressed Ray-Tracing related issues.
  • Fixed skins related bugs.
  • Addressed issues related to audio.
  • Performance improvements added.
  • Added gameplay optimizations.
  • Added general stability fixes.
  • Other minor fixes.
Note: The full changelog will be available soon.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Gaiff

Gold Member
Good, but man patches are a gift and a curse. On the one hand, it makes bugs that were impossible to fix, fixable. On the other hand, it gives an incentives for publishers to force devs to rush products out the door with the mentality "we'll patch it later."

They also released a patch addressing the stutters on PC yesterday but from what I gathered, it didn't quite work and many users are still plagued by the issue.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Well the argument about APIs doesn't necessarily mean the Series is incapable of it. RT is handled a little differently on each platform. Definitely a possibility that it was easier for them to do on one platform when compared to another. However like the devs said its coming to the Series version.

Also just a recommendation don't fall for trolls here. Hunnybun was banned for it in the past and its a shame to see people fall for it again.

Your not keeping a list of who liked what correct? I mean I get what you said but I don't believe it's that serious. I certainly don't maintain some document where I track what people liked or said.

I can assure you I don't keep a log of who says or likes what here lol. There was some dumb shit slung around in this thread so when the (obvious and inevitable) news came out that a patch was on the way to address this, it felt appropriate to call them out.

Last edited:
I can assure you I don't keep a log of who says what here lol. There was some dumb shit slung around in this thread so when the (obvious and inevitable) news came out that a patch was on the way to address this, it felt appropriate to call them out.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with that. Although you did stretch it with the troll.

Anyways I'm glad your not taking this too seriously. Just made me wonder why you were counting the likes and who said them that's all.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Guess the marketing deal allowed this to happen /s

Honestly I'm glad they are getting it fixed quickly.

All I was saying is it looked like they prioritised one version, got the game out the door.

Shit exploded since and they've now prioritised the other versions which is good to see. I'm still going to wait to make sure we have a release that's at least on par with the ps5 version because there's no reason it should be behind on pc and xbox.

Reactions: Isa

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Yeah there's nothing wrong with that. Although you did stretch it with the troll.

Anyways I'm glad your not taking this too seriously. Just made me wonder why you were counting the likes and who said them that's all.

Yeah, not taking this seriously at all. When a few quoted me saying "no one said that", I went back and grabbed some posts (and you can see who likes each post) and followed up with them to provide receipts.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
From NXG's twitter.

FjO5SvtXEAEVtVD

jesus christ ..

This game came in hot. Hot as hell, wow!

Maybe, DF do another video to get ahead of this stuff if it gets fixed as it will be affecting sales I imagine.

Even for a game I didn't intend to play, I feel for the developers and am willing to give them time. So far they're acknowledging the issues and are saying they are bringing fixes.

Justin9mm

The RT issue on Series X looks like a bug/oversight to me and should be patched sooner than later.

The poor performance on the PC, on the other hand, should've never made the cut. I mean, devs must know the game has a lot of performance issues and needs more optimization. Who thought shipping it like that was a good idea?
They wanted to release it before the Dead Space remake guaranteed.

Tiamat2san

You could have requested a refund, if you wanted to get your money back. Xbox has a decent refund policy.

I agree, it’s just not acceptable for these publishes to continue to ship broken games on day one. Because people end up paying full price and having to wait some times months for the game to get fixed. Compared to just waiting for the game to get fixed first and probably spending less money on the game.

This is why pre-ordering and buying games day one doesn’t make sense anymore IMO. At least waiting to see impressions on the performance and reviews is always the better move.
I played a little last night.
The HDR is completely broken too.
Everything is grey…
Can’t wait for dead space. 😂

ChiefDada

Gold Member
There were legitimately some trying to act as if it was somehow a limitation of the Series X that caused this to occur. They weren't trying to hear at all that it was a bug or just something that will be corrected later. Now they know.

Here's the thing - if they plan to have the Series X RT "patch" up this week like they say they will, then I personally don't see how days worth of optimization can enable them to include it without sacrifices elsewhere, whether it be resolution, framerate, RT and asset quality, etc. So I don't expect Series X to run as well as PS5 with resolution/performance. We should get our answers in the coming days.

intbal

Jesus someone fix this game before he starts crying.

Edit: shit this dude is actually gonna cry 😳

All this for a game people are saying is bad 🤔

I got the sense from this video that he wasn't actually distraught over the condition of the game. It sounded more like he was complaining to Rich about his job. He hates analyzing the vast number of modern PC games because so many of them recently have increasingly bad shader compilation-based stutter.
So he was essentially crying to the boss about his job being hard.
It must have been a slap to the face when Rich then suggested that he do a big writeup about the issue.
Honestly, I think there's more drama behind the scenes of this group than anyone knows.

Here's the thing - if they plan to have the Series X RT "patch" up this week like they say they will, then I personally don't see how days worth of optimization can enable them to include it without sacrifices elsewhere, whether it be resolution, framerate, RT and asset quality, etc. So I don't expect Series X to run as well as PS5 with resolution/performance. We should get our answers in the coming days.

Series X is already running at a higher resolution than PS5 at 30fps according to NXGamer while also performing significantly better than it did before with the latest updates, so I don't see it as exactly impossible to match or exceed ps5 once RT reflections are in. RT Shadows are already there. There's also already no difference in asset quality before the updates. That won't suddenly be lowered. Adding RT reflections will have no impact on asset quality.

The Xbox Series X is plenty powerful. I'm alright with being patient with the developers. I don't intend to play this game, but I still like to see games others are interested in optimized well. It reminds me of what transpired with Control. It started out horrible on Series X, but was randomly fixed without a title update, just a system update.

sinnergy

Great news:

The launch was terrible but at least they're quick to roll out updates.

They really should have just delayed a few weeks to get a proper launch out to avoid middling reviews and PR.

Now I am gonna play . Series X has RT reflections now!

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Great news:

The launch was terrible but at least they're quick to roll out updates.

They really should have just delayed a few weeks to get a proper launch out to avoid middling reviews and PR.

According to them, the absence of reflex RT was a bug?

It has been fixed very quickly. It would be interesting to know whether or not it has affected performance or resolution.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
According to them, the absence of reflex RT was a bug?

It has been fixed very quickly. It would be interesting to know whether or not it has affected performance or resolution.

Yes, it must have been a bug, either that or they purposefully left something to push the game out quicker.

But either way, it wasn't meant to be like that. And they've fixed it quickly.

Hugare

How does this hold up? Don't know if the other version's reflections were this blurry.
NYKFIWv.jpg
The reason why I hate RT reflections: they are rendered at the resolution that is being upscaled (or sometimes lower), so if you are playing on low resolution, it can look very blurry

Playing Cyberpunk at 1080p with RT Reflections and DLSS, for example, is just horrible. Because DLSS is upscalling 800-900p to 1080p, and it can look pretty ok, but thr reflections arent upscaled, so they look 800-900p.

Top Bottom