• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol - The DF Tech Review + PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ S + PC #StutterStruggle Analysis

Tiamat2san

Why buy it just to wait?

We got to stop supporting this crap, if the game isn't 100% on day one then don't give them money!
Well i bought it because it’s my kind of game and on xbox (series X) because i prefer the controler.
Then i watched the DF video while installing it.
I was baffled by the state of the game on xbox.
Why the fuck there’s no RT ?

Things like that should not be happening.
I should wait for review before buying .

Last edited:

Thief1987

Well i bought it because it’s my kind of game and on xbox (series X) because i prefer the controler.

It's only reflections which are missing, other RT features are there. I doubt that in this kind of envinronment you will see reflections often, shadows will be much more prominent.

scydrex

It's not.
Series X CPU has a baseline 10.8% performance advantage over PS5, rising higher if/when Smartshift kicks in on PS5.

I don't know anything about this game, and I'm not getting involved in a discussion about it. I just wanted to correct this one point.

You are forgeting the low level API of the ps5. It has an advantage in that over the X also the cpu of the ps5 don't have to decompress data or anything related to that because of the i/o chip.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Everything is a choice.

I mean yeah, Alex saying gaming is a hobby is an obvious statement. No one is obligated to play games. But to his point I get it that you spend so much on a rig and it gets beaten by a $399~$499 in terms of playability of a new game. I'm agreeing with you.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Poor Alex looks like he's about to start crying recording this ..

lol this needs a thread of its own. Absolutely hilarious.

This is everything thats wrong with critics and reviewers in general. They are only focused on slagging off devs instead of actually critiquing games. If the game is unplayable. Say its unplayable. Trash it. Spend 10 minutes trashing it and give it a ZERO. You have a platform of nearly 2 million youtube subscribers. What are you crying about? This IS your job.

For the last two years now, these losers have jerked off over last gen trash instead of holding devs and publishers accountable for producing mediocre, underwhelming, broken games at launch. I remember John, NX Gamer and Richard all glossing over the awful performance mode of HFW. It wasnt until reddit and some obscure youtubers made it a thing did GG decide to fix it.

Even when they criticize the visuals, they make excuses for it. Ray tracing will fix Halo. NO. The game looked awful because it looks awful. Your job is to say it looks awful. Your job isnt to cry about it. FFS. Whats wrong with these people.

MikeM

Poor Alex looks like he's about to start crying recording this ..

I feel for the guy though. He is clearly passionate about PC and thats translates in his work for DF but it has to suck reviewing constantly broken games. I’d be agitated to constantly reviewing broken turds of games.
I realize he is sick so it just looks and sounds like that.
But also, it's just stuttering... It's annoying but not end of the world. No idea why they didn't patch caching in before release.

And I have to say, I somewhat see where he is coming from. Pc gaming is a hobby, it's a choice.
You spend thousands and thousands, invest time into configuration and research. Watch gamer nexus, read tech forums....
... and then you see ps5 not having any issues. Sure, running only 30fps with RT but just go.
That's why I preordered this on ps5. I had the same suspicion with Elden Ring and it was correct then too.
“But its also just stuttering”

Dude I get you like your 30fps but stuttering on a $4K+ machine is beyond unacceptable.

Airbus Jr

Banned
PS5 wins ?

Dj Khaled GIF by iHeartRadio

Thebonehead

Banned
I realize he is sick so it just looks and sounds like that.
But also, it's just stuttering... It's annoying but not end of the world. No idea why they didn't patch caching in before release.

And I have to say, I somewhat see where he is coming from. Pc gaming is a hobby, it's a choice.
You spend thousands and thousands, invest time into configuration and research. Watch gamer nexus, read tech forums....
... and then you see ps5 not having any issues. Sure, running only 30fps with RT but just go.
That's why I preordered this on ps5. I had the same suspicion with Elden Ring and it was correct then too.
Difference is that you can deal and enjoy 30fps.

I don't know if it's my aging eyesight these days, but 30fps really makes me feel uncomfortable.

I've tried plague tale on the series x and horizon: fw on my ps5 at 30/40 and they are definite no gos for me which is why I was holding for the PC version.

Although the series have been fixed, based on the performance of RT on the 3080, I Think I will wait until I can get hold of the 4090 before playing this one.

Me either to be honest. I don't see why it would exist, but I don't understand why a studio would not mention anything about a platforms patch or reply to their customers who have purchased it. Seems odd.

Well they talked about the PC version. And if we are looking at other devs it's not like they always inform us of what's coming. Patches drop without notice most of the time.

I'm pretty confident they are still working on making patches to fix these issues. The marketing deal has nothing to do with their silence.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This is everything thats wrong with critics and reviewers in general. They are only focused on slagging off devs instead of actually critiquing games. If the game is unplayable. Say its unplayable. Trash it. Spend 10 minutes trashing it and give it a ZERO. You have a platform of nearly 2 million youtube subscribers. What are you crying about? This IS your job.

For the last two years now, these losers have jerked off over last gen trash instead of holding devs and publishers accountable for producing mediocre, underwhelming, broken games at launch. I remember John, NX Gamer and Richard all glossing over the awful performance mode of HFW. It wasnt until reddit and some obscure youtubers made it a thing did GG decide to fix it.

Even when they criticize the visuals, they make excuses for it. Ray tracing will fix Halo. NO. The game looked awful because it looks awful. Your job is to say it looks awful. Your job isnt to cry about it. FFS. Whats wrong with these people.

Fucking nailed it. Everyone is playing too nice with these devs. Reviewers are the worst.

Remember some of that pop in on horizon forbidden west at launch? If that was any other publisher they would have got reemed but if its Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo...they are literally so scared that they will stop getting game codes or treated in their fancy circle with their marketing buddies at the companies they just gloss over everything.

"But if I do my job, and cal this out, they won't fly me out to some hotel or send me this incredible god of war ragnarok reviewers bundle that includes an actual real Thor hammer......I fucking love you publisher!"

Notice me senpai so I can get a job with you in two to three years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel for the guy though. He is clearly passionate about PC and thats translates in his work for DF but it has to suck reviewing constantly broken games. I’d be agitated to constantly reviewing broken turds of games.

“But its also just stuttering”

Dude I get you like your 30fps but stuttering on a $4K+ machine is beyond unacceptable.
Lol u mad?
I am not accepting stutter. That’s why I got ps5 version.
30fps is great in this game btw unless you disabled excellent motion blur

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Difference is that you can deal and enjoy 30fps.

I don't know if it's my aging eyesight these days, but 30fps really makes me feel uncomfortable.

I've tried plague tale on the series x and horizon: fw on my ps5 at 30/40 and they are definite no gos for me which is why I was holding for the PC version.

Although the series have been fixed, based on the performance of RT on the 3080, I Think I will wait until I can get hold of the 4090 before playing this one.
Play longer. You will get used to it.
It’s just a matter of playing for few minutes.
Callisto 30 fps feels ok

Fredrik

The current review process is not working. For anyone.

Problem is, critics review games before launch to be there when the review embargo drops. And games always get patched after launch. And critics rarely/never go back to re-review patched games.

Should a game that is broken on review code have a 0/10 score a month after launch when it’s not broken anymore?
Obviously not.

Should a game that is broken on review code have a 8/10 score at launch because devs say they’re going to fix the issues when the issues aren’t fixed at launch?
Obviously not.

I’d say devs needs to stop using day 1 customers as beta testers.

Hire DF and NX to tell them it’s broken before they send it out for review, then fix the problem, so critics can review the games as is and customers don’t have to feel they get the worst experience when they play a game day 1.

A game that is eventually fixed should never have a bad score stay forever because it was broken at launch.

And a broken game at launch should never have a top score because it might eventually get fixed.

Scores should reflect how the game is NOW because customers use the scores to get help deciding if they should buy a game NOW.

At the moment you get the most up to date info about how good a game is by talking on forums and look at user scores, critics only show how a game was before launch, which is kinda pointless.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Tells you a lot about his intentions as a tech analyst: to shit on 400 USD consoles as much as possible. It’s like his team lost the championship or something.

This is the thing. If certain games on PC are performing poorly or have issues it's his job to point it out and then use the tools/connections available to him in order to do a deep dive. That should then result in the developers and/or modders being able to come up with fixes and solutions.

If the same thing keeps on happening then reach out to Epic and the devs in question, get some dialogue going. The bonus for him is that it would allow him to be able to create more content that would be interesting for DF's audience. He should be milking this recurring problem for all it's worth, it's literally his job.

Instead, he just wants to sit there and cry about it like a little bitch, all because he couldn't get his "win". If this is how he wants to behave he's offering nothing to their platform (and in turn to us as an audience), and they should replace him with someone who is actually proactive when it comes to content creation.

To better demonstrate what I mean, this is what gamers nexus does when there's a problem that their audience should be concerned about:

The problem:

Testing and analysis:

The outcome and solution:

Unfortunately we seem to have drawn the short straw when it comes to gaming "journalists", these cucks have zero integrity and zero nouce. All they are concerned about is creating clickbait controversy instead of actually helping enrich peoples experiences via informing and educating people (and driving industry change where possible).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This man is not ok. Its his job to do PC performance analysis, not get emotionally invested like this.
Tells you a lot about his intentions as a tech analyst: to shit on 400 USD consoles as much as possible. It’s like his team lost the championship or something.
That is a side which enjoyed games optimised for PS4 / Xbox One (some not even pushing them) running on RTX3090 or the like and 3-5 GHz 8+ core desktop CPU’s with an SSD and gobs of RAM. The idea of always being the best no matter what without any compromise. When issues happen the world is upended… I have more respect for Leadbetter than Battaglia and a lot more for John L. than either.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Here's a novel idea, release games when they're finished. The day one patch which now is more rule than exception is really not acceptable.

Well who is holding publishers and developers arses to the fire on this matter?

Their customers certainly aren't because people seem to be unable to control themselves when it comes to preordering.

And even worse, the gaming press aren't because the publishers and developers have somehow manipulated a situation where they are the dominant party and as such can control what the press are and aren't allowed to talk about and say. The amount of times I've seen reviews that state "xxxxx is a problem but should be fixed by a day one patch" is mind boggling. What they should be saying is "xxxxx is a problem and will continue to be so until proven otherwise, therefore we are factoring this into our final score".

It's a mess, somehow we have become used to this idea that it's ok for the press to judge games based on what they could be instead of what they are at the time of writing.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone playing on oled?
HDR has raised black but I am not sure if it's not an intended look.
SDR with SRGB mode got perfect black but of course lacks hdr bright lights punch

s-bojan

Banned
This man is not ok. Its his job to do PC performance analysis, not get emotionally invested like this.
I am not an analyst, but I feel the same.
I like that DF guys are not cold professionals. That is a major reason why I am a Patreon supporter.

Arioco

Anyone playing on oled?
HDR has raised black but I am not sure if it's not an intended look.
SDR with SRGB mode got perfect black but of course lacks hdr bright lights punch

John complained about the same issue. You"ll have to find a way to lower the black level on your TV, but that options might be different depending on the brand. As a last resource you can always just lower brightness level, but I would try other settings first (gamma, fine tune black level, etc...)

kyliethicc

If the same thing keeps on happening then reach out to Epic and the devs in question, get some dialogue going.
Well to be fair to him, he has. They've discussed this at length on their podcast months ago.

DF have told Epic about this a while ago.

Epic knows about the issue, and claims this is fixed in UE5.

As for UE4 games, the closest thing to a solution is also known.

Horizon Zero Dawn and Sackboy, among others, now do the compile upon boot to avoid the issue.

Why did Sackboy ship like it did and only change with a patch weeks later? Who knows.

I suspect it’s a publisher relations issue. Go too hard on a product and access to their offerings may be limited. None of these publications act in the interest of the consumer. If they did you would get a more constructive media. Reviewers calling themselves journalists is also laughable.

And to be honest I never fully trusted John, he made a post on here once which he quickly edited saying he wished Microsoft never entered the industry but can keep any bias or preferences strictly professional. His retro stuff is brilliant to be fair to him.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People ragging on Alex because he gives a shit.

Imagine caring about your job and having a passion for it outside of work, only to be disappointed by constant issues from other people on your industry not doing their job properly and constantly getting away with it.

Hopefully there's a drastic change in 2023 as it is beyond a joke now. I feel for him because he obviously cares about his passion that he managed to turn into a career.

Mr Moose

People ragging on Alex because he gives a shit.

Imagine caring about your job and having a passion for it outside of work, only to be disappointed by constant issues from other people on your industry not doing their job properly and constantly getting away with it.

Hopefully there's a drastic change in 2023 as it is beyond a joke now. I feel for him because he obviously cares about his passion that he managed to turn into a career.
Stutters on pc? Someone save Alex if there is.
Erm...

Well to be fair to him, he has. They've discussed this at length on their podcast months ago.

DF have told Epic about this a while ago.

Epic knows about the issue, and claims this is fixed in UE5.

As for UE4 games, the closest thing to a solution is also known.

Horizon Zero Dawn and Sackboy, among others, now do the compile upon boot to avoid the issue.

Why did Sackboy ship like it did and only change with a patch weeks later? Who knows.
Compiling shaders on launch is a pretty bad solution because every patch, Windows or GPU update you have to go through it AGAIN.

I understand developers are reluctant to implement this solution.

Edit seriously considering some of you go apeshit over 10 second loading screens how would you feel about 10 minute shader compiling lol

Last edited:

damidu

Compiling shaders on launch is a pretty bad solution because every patch, Windows or GPU update you have to go through it AGAIN.

I understand developers are reluctant to implement this solution.

Edit seriously considering some of you go apeshit over 10 second loading screens how would you feel about 10 minute shader compiling lol
that is still extremely preferable solution compared to current state of events.
which breaks the game flow whenever some new effect is in display, basically ruining the first impression devs wanted to achieve with that effect.

and stuff you listed (driver, game updates etc.) applies there as well, so fresh stutters again and again.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

When a joke becomes too real :p

People joked about it but Alex really did come off emotional in that video, someone earlier said that it's because he's sick IRL and that's why he sounds like that ..

but at someone looking at that twitter clip in isolation, it does look like he's choking and holding back emotions talking about the state of PC gaming.

oji-san

Banned
Sounds pretty good to me, above 1440p and not locked 60fps but doesn't sound like it drop too much and hope VRR take care of that on PS5.

You could have requested a refund, if you wanted to get your money back. Xbox has a decent refund policy.

I agree, it’s just not acceptable for these publishes to continue to ship broken games on day one. Because people end up paying full price and having to wait some times months for the game to get fixed. Compared to just waiting for the game to get fixed first and probably spending less money on the game.

This is why pre-ordering and buying games day one doesn’t make sense anymore IMO. At least waiting to see impressions on the performance and reviews is always the better move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom