• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol - The DF Tech Review + PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ S + PC #StutterStruggle Analysis

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seeing the reviews, it’s a shame it gets such a scores. It deserves higher at least on ps5. The game is linear with quite open areas. Do people really want only gaas and open world games?
We don’t get stuff like this anymore. It should be treasured and not destroyed

Basically, the devs ran out of time and just launched it to get it out before Xmas.

Which is exactly what I've said from the beginning.

That's probably it. Really doubt that the marketing agreement had anything to do with this. Just happy that Ragnarok wasn't rushed like some were suggesting. It's unfortunate that this one was and no version of the game is acceptable.

Arioco

If the best way to play new game is 30FPS quality mode on a console I scream pretty loud.

Funny thing is 30 fps is the best way to play the game on a 4090 too. 😂

If that doesn't make people scream I don't know what will. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The game obviously needs more time in the oven. I'm not a fan of this trend of reslesing games that are clearly not finished and working it out months later with several patches (if ever).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me it’s working just fine on my PS5 and really enjoying it and also just killed my first robot guard.

This one of very few survival horror games which mostly focus on melee combat more than shooting, it share lot of elements from Dead Space but the combat just feels completely different.

Dr.D00p

As a staunch Xbox player, it's clear that as we go deeper into the generation that the Xbox Series X simply won't be able to compete with the PS5.

The idea that they forgot to turn the RT on for the Xbox is laughable. It's obvious that the machine simply can't run the game with it on, because it is so much less capable than the PS5. The developers are hoping that we just forget about it in time. It's obvious.

The painful truth is that the PS5, with its 5.5 teraflops per second SSD, is a technological triumph.

Its nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with Sony's SDK tools being much better than Microsofts, allowing, when done correctly by talented people, to extract more performance from weaker hardware.

tommib

For me it’s working just fine on my PS5 and really enjoying it and also just killed my first robot guard.

This one of very few survival horror games which mostly focus on melee combat more than shooting, it share lot of elements from Dead Space but the combat just feels completely different.
How are you killing them? I’m shooting them in the head but lose too many bullets by doing it. I’m sure there’s an alternative?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How are you killing them? I’m shooting them in the head but lose too many bullets by doing it. I’m sure there’s an alternative?
You need to shoot them in head but they still take lot of bullet and they can one shot kill you, but unlike the monsters they are slow and easy avoid their attack behind covers.

I had no idea about the differences between the versions and actually got the game when I got my new Series X yesterday. I can’t say I care either way about all the bells and whistles, I’m just enjoying the game. I know we had all that “AAAA” crap, and we’ve ended up with a game that feels like “AA” but that’s fine. We need these level of games, it’s perfect for the horror genre!

I like it. It’s pleasant nonsense.

Hunnybun

Its nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with Sony's SDK tools being much better than Microsofts, allowing, when done correctly by talented people, to extract more performance from weaker hardware.

It's spelt SSD, not SDK, and that's totally a hardware thing. 5.5tflops per second of it, to be precise.

Arioco

Do you think there’s any headroom left for a 40fps quality mode on ps5?

Even if there isn't developers always can drop the resolution a bit and call it a day. As long as as the CPU can hit at least those 40 fps there should be no problem, but I'm not sure that's the case, RT is also very heavy on the CPU and the memory bandwidth after all.

DragonNCM

I don't know how they can launch this game in this condition on PC & Xbox.......
Looks like they don't care, only moneygrab in their minds....

Kenpachii

Seeing the reviews, it’s a shame it gets such a scores. It deserves higher at least on ps5. The game is linear with quite open areas. Do people really want only gaas and open world games?
We don’t get stuff like this anymore. It should be treasured and not destroyed

Game is released on multiple platforms. All platforms should be taken into account as result. If they can't coop with multiple releases of the same game on multiple platforms they should delay it on other platforms. I have no problem they delaying the game by a year on PC to get something out there that's actually good and working instead of this shit show.

If a reviewer gives this game a 6+ out of a 10 and its practically unplayable on PC and Xbox, its misleading to its finest specially if you get it on those platforms. This is why the developer is getting slammed on twitter also and massively bombed on steam. There is no way in hell he didn't know the game was in such a state on PC before releasing it. It's basically just maximum shitting down there consumers trust.

I can tell you this, PC gamers aren't a easy bunch. They pay for games because they want to support a developer and appreciatie it. They don't have to pay, or they will pay absolutely nothing years in on a heavy discount.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Game is released on multiple platforms. All platforms should be taken into account as result. If they can't coop with multiple releases of the same game on multiple platforms they should delay it on other platforms. I have no problem they delaying the game by a year on PC to get something out there that's actually good and working instead of this shit show.

If a reviewer gives this game a 6+ out of a 10 and its practically unplayable on PC and Xbox, its misleading to its finest specially if you get it on those platforms. This is why the developer is getting slammed on twitter also and massively bombed on steam. There is no way in hell he didn't know the game was in such a state on PC before releasing it. It's basically just maximum shitting down there consumers trust.

I can tell you this, PC gamers aren't an easy bunch. They pay for games because they want to support a developer and appreciatie it. They don't have to pay, or they will pay absolutely nothing years in on a heavy discount.
The base Reviews on platforms. Some technical issues does not make 9 game a 6 lol. It should just be a remark in the review.
People focus too much on technical crap.

We should have more games like this or order. And this only ensures we will not.

And to add to what you said. If a game is 6 because it runs bad on pc, then PlayStation player is mislead. Based on John from DF the game is great.

So does this mean that the PS5 is “easier“ to develop for, as Mark Cerny stated?
No, it means PS5 was the lead platform and the other versions were an afterthought unfortunately. Unless you also think Plague Tale's superior performance on XSX means that XSX is easier to develop for in which case I'm confused. Or are you just picking and choosing? In reality both consoles offer similar levels of performance and whichever is the lead platform is typically going to have the advantage in terms of optimisation unless the developer put equal love and care in to bringing the other platform(s) up to scratch. Here, they did not.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Shouldn't a bad version actually get even more coverage to get people informed and the devs to fix stuff?

I agree with you

In fact, why is DF keeping themselves so small even after all these years? Motherfuckers have to interview Tim Sweeney or directx technical director and fucking grill them.

SushiReese

Huge Dead Space(survival horror) fan here, preordered this one and DS remake. I completed my playthrough on medium difficulty. These are my thoughts:

Good:
Graphics: No doubt the best looking horror game to date. Character models are gorgeous and death animations are insane.
Arts: Monster design, arguably the best realized The Thing monsters I see on screen. The map are huge and variety of different locations suppressed old dead space and RE2/3 remake.

Most of survival horror games are linear as core and not openworld. The issue is how you structure it. Even most linear one like TLoS 1 and Re 4-5/RE 3 remake, there are puzzles, hidden rooms and collectibles./ Linear game could also give players room to breath and do something interesting to explore.

However, the beautiful map feel underused and empty. You want to know the background/lore of the locations, but the game does not have many text files to read. That's a pity that there is no many things to explore in this game now: Literally not any real puzzles, not much text files, most of the files are voice files and have to suspend the playthrough if you want to listen. Most of time you just push the button and move to next room, shoot an repeat. You seldom come back to the old location.

Characters/Story: RE has dog-shit story but the characters are very memorable( both hero and villian). The characters(both mc and villian) in this game feel so bland and undeveloped. The interaction between characters are so wooden/forced. Completely wasted amazing actors like Samuel Stewart and Karen Fukuhara. The 2 villains' of CP(prison guard/warden) were poorly-written and were even downgraded compared to original Deadspace(,Mad doctot,Spy lady). You seldom interact with them except in cutscene. Lacking of text files also damaged the worldbuilding lore. I think Dev really should've hired professional writers to polish/realize the scripts.

System: No new games+ mode, no extra reward for beating highest difficulties, no upgradable bag slot except one time in story, no extra body-Amor. Only type of "puzzle" in the game is "find a fuzz and put it into the box". Only one big boss fight and a mini boss recycled 4 times.

I think the game need more time to be polished but EA remake type of force them to ship it early.

Right now it feels like horror game version of The Order: 1886.

Still, I don't understand how could this game got review score lower than RE3remake.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Damn, the early access DF Direct is up and I legit think Alex starts to choke up while discussing compilation stutter on Castillo and state of PC ports in general. He explained how PC analysis isnt fun for him anymore because of it. I really felt bad for him. Not his biggest fan but I can totally see how one could get emotional about a hobby they're really passionate about not being in a great state. Damn that was so sad to watch I had to skip ahead. I hope developers/Epic/Microsoft can get to the bottom of it all and fix😔🤞

Killer8

I agree with you

In fact, why is DF keeping themselves so small even after all these years? Motherfuckers have to interview Tim Sweeney or directx technical director and fucking grill them.

They can't rock the boat too much because they will end up blacklisted from these companies.

I think they are doing all they can without upsetting the gaming industry cartel.

Top Bottom