• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol - The DF Tech Review + PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ S + PC #StutterStruggle Analysis

Banned
Right now it feels like horror game version of The Order: 1886.

Still, I don't understand how could this game got review score lower than RE3remake.

The Order is one of the worst examples of gamedesign ever put onto a console by a AAA studio...

and you wonder why it got low scores while directly comparing it to it?

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

Damn, the early access DF Direct is up and I legit think Alex starts to choke up while discussing compilation stutter on Castillo and state of PC ports in general. He explained how PC analysis isnt fun for him anymore because of it. I really felt bad for him. Not his biggest fan but I can totally see how one could get emotional about a hobby they're really passionate about not being in a great state. Damn that was so sad to watch I had to skip ahead. I hope developers/Epic/Microsoft can get to the bottom of it all and fix😔🤞
This has to be a script for a comedy movie. Feeling bad for a guy who’s job is analyzing PC games at his home? lmfao.

dEvAnGeL

YESSSS!!! They weren't lying! The PC patch actually works! Getting 100+fps 1440p Ultra (w/o RT) on a 3080, about 60-80fps w/RT. This game is beautiful. Haven't seen a single second-long stutter like the ones I was getting every few seconds last night!
No stutter? What’s your CPU?

Damn, the early access DF Direct is up and I legit think Alex starts to choke up while discussing compilation stutter on Castillo and state of PC ports in general. He explained how PC analysis isnt fun for him anymore because of it. I really felt bad for him. Not his biggest fan but I can totally see how one could get emotional about a hobby they're really passionate about not being in a great state. Damn that was so sad to watch I had to skip ahead. I hope developers/Epic/Microsoft can get to the bottom of it all and fix😔🤞
what the hell bruh

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

He needs to play Callisto Protocol again on PC now that it's patched. For his mental well-being

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I wonder if I should get it. I have an 8700k OC to 4.9 and a 3080 Ti. My system runs everything with high to ultra settings.
Up to you, of course. If performance issues on PC were your concern, I don't think you have to worry about that much anymore. Feel free to look up other people's reactions since the patch went live if you want more perspectives.

I did get one bad stutter comparable to the ones I was getting every few seconds playing pre-patch, but that's the only gameplay-impacting one I've seen in the two hours or so I've played, patched.

As far as the game itself goes, it's Dead Space in atmosphere and setting, but the combat is remarkably different. More of a melee focus, where your guns and GRP (the Callisto Protocol equivalent of TK/stasis in Dead Space) are utilized in a way to emphasize close-quarters combat versus the horde-management of DS. Now that I'm getting the feel for what they were going for, I quite like it, but it took some adjustment.

Edit: I should note--once I got into the game proper, my fps with RT on dropped to the 30-40 range. I was getting 60+ in the prologue, but it had less going on, graphically. Playing at everything maxed out but with RT off, locked to 60 for consistency, and have only had a few noticeable drops into the 50s.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You have to be kidding. And artist creates. What this guy does is analyze and criticize or praise someone else’s work. You are obviously invested on his opinions to feel this way. But damn….

The nature of work really isn't the focus. It's the passion for whatever field you're interested in. Yes, I absolutely empathize with anyone who engages and dedicates time, effort, etc. in a certain field. Anyways, let's carry on. No need to derail the thread over this.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I think the hdr is pretty good? The elevated blacks don't bother me too much when I see those bright highlights. I might try it though in sdr just to compare.

what tv/monitor you use?
Should I use this for OLED too like John said ?
I will be playing in a moment
None actually. Just a regular LED TV from 2019. U should use it as John said. U have to disable HDR on a system level tho. On ps5 at least and then go into graphics options at the main game menu.

Last edited:
267070735, member: 832817"]

Poor Alex looks like he's about to start crying recording this ..
[/QUOTE]
WCF8qdo.gif

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Another one for PC stutters.
Need QA to add a "clear shader cache" step before giving a thumbs up near the end of development.

93xfan

Banned
Been pretty standard since about 2010. They're pretty cool eh? Just wait until you can get high refresh rates. It'll blow your pleb mind.
And then I can lower my settings below the minimum to get 700FPS and be able to see enemy players through foliage. It’ll be the most rewarding online experience imaginable.

93xfan

Banned
Yeah several as a matter of fact https://www.neogaf.com/threads/show-us-your-gaming-setup-2022-edition.1626789/page-3#post-266771989

Your insult falls flat when you realise my rigs have been fully SSD for over ten years, and hence I know the idiocy of attempting a defrag on one.
How am I going to realize this about your rigs? Pictures could be from anywhere.

It sounds like my insult is in the clear as long as I don’t realize this. Also, may want to do another defrag as your spell checker seems to be having issues.

Thebonehead

Banned
How am I going to realize this about your rigs? Pictures could be from anywhere.

It sounds like my insult is in the clear as long as I don’t realize this. Also, may want to do another defrag as your spell checker seems to be having issues.
I realise you are American, so what you don't realise is that in the UK, that is the correct spelling for the English language.

You have now fallen flat on your arse twice. N.b. Also the correct spelling.

93xfan

Banned
I realise you are American, so what you don't realise is that in the UK, that is the correct spelling for the English language.

You have now fallen flat on your arse twice. N.b. Also the correct spelling.
If the PC community is as fun as you are, please sign me up!

Also, I think you need to update your spell checker. There are better forms of the English language available. Then maybe do another defrag for good measure.

Mr Moose

Any news on a Series X patch? This studio is quiet as balls on any patches for consoles it seems.
It might be improved since this video, hard to tell. I don't think they mention the patch version. Although there is still no RT reflections.

So I tried out the mirror reflection thingy and it was there, but it was all black and looked ugly.
After that I checked to see how the reflections worked on the Series X version of Callisto Protocol and it was the same thing.

Thebonehead

Banned
If the PC community is as fun as you are, please sign me up!

Also, I think you need to update your spell checker. There are other forms of the English language available. Then maybe do another defrag for good measure.
It depends.

Can you maintain an air of moral superiority as well as disdain? If so, join the club.

I have been dead tired the last few days, so wouldn't have normally got antagonistic - I apologise for that ( Again S's in the UK ).

I am going to get an early night and enjoy the correct kind of Z's in this instance ;)

The only reason I got so defensive was the fact my anticipation of playing it on PC had ended in disappointment

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
And then I can lower my settings below the minimum to get 700FPS and be able to see enemy players through foliage. It’ll be the most rewarding online experience imaginable.
You could do that yes. That's the flexibility that only pc can offer. And you'd be playing online for free! Ain't that cool!?

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I instaled the game but i’ll wait for the RT patch on xbox .
Fuck this shit. I was hyped now i am not eager to play it that much.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I never heard of a marketing deal that stops the devs from talking about updates and fixes.

Yeah, this makes mo sense to me. I do wonder if they ever expressly stated graphical and performance settings between PS5 and Series X. I can't find anything that would suggest so. Now that I think about it, it's kind of silly to call RT reflection absence a "bug"; the feature simply doesn't exist on Series consoles. I'm starting to wonder if it was ever intended for Series consoles. Strange all around.

Yeah, this makes mo sense to me. I do wonder if they ever expressly stated graphical and performance settings between PS5 and Series X. I can't find anything that would suggest so. Now that I think about it, it's kind of silly to call RT reflection absence a "bug"; the feature simply doesn't exist on Series consoles. I'm starting to wonder if it was ever intended for Series consoles. Strange all around.

I can understand not seeing it on the XSS though. Not the first time we had a bug where RT wasn't available on both systems bit then a patch fixed it for the XSX.

93xfan

Banned
You could do that yes. That's the flexibility that only pc can offer. And you'd be playing online for free! Ain't that cool!?
I don’t wish to be in a community of players where that is possible, and even accepted.

Not cool at all that people play with potato graphics on purpose to give themselves an advantage.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
It depends.

Can you maintain an air of moral superiority as well as disdain? If so, join the club.

I have been dead tired the last few days, so wouldn't have normally got antagonistic - I apologise for that ( Again S's in the UK ).

I am going to get an early night and enjoy the correct kind of Z's in this instance ;)

The only reason I got so defensive was the fact my anticipation of playing it on PC had ended in disappointment
Sorry I was antagonistic as well. A lot of what I was saying was meant to be in fun, but I guess I went a little overboard and kept it going when it wasn’t so much in fun anymore.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I never heard of a marketing deal that stops the devs from talking about updates and fixes.

Me either to be honest. I don't see why it would exist, but I don't understand why a studio would not mention anything about a platforms patch or reply to their customers who have purchased it. Seems odd.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Poor Alex looks like he's about to start crying recording this ..

I realize he is sick so it just looks and sounds like that.
But also, it's just stuttering... It's annoying but not end of the world. No idea why they didn't patch caching in before release.

And I have to say, I somewhat see where he is coming from. Pc gaming is a hobby, it's a choice.
You spend thousands and thousands, invest time into configuration and research. Watch gamer nexus, read tech forums....
... and then you see ps5 not having any issues. Sure, running only 30fps with RT but just go.
That's why I preordered this on ps5. I had the same suspicion with Elden Ring and it was correct then too.

Top Bottom