• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I really never used the grab in dead space saga but i had to use it here because fighting more than 2 enemies is a big nono, but i haven't upgraded to the max, only level 2.

Yeah ammo were super generous even on hard, by 3/4 of the game i just approached the whole thing as a shooter:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Really?
I thought the ammo was generous at the beginning but currently I have like 3 bullets at the moment because they are pretty sparse.
And it's been like that for last hours or so
And yes I stomping on enemies after killing them, smashing boxes and eggs.
And I barely use the gun.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Digital Foundry analysis has mentioned the raised blacks and according to them the best way to play the game at the moment is with HDR disabled and Gama set to SRGB in the game settings (you cannot change Gama level with HDR on unfortunately).

TyMUrB6.jpg
Same thing I did with RDR2. I play it in SDR since the colors pop more, picture is brighter overall, and the blacks are darker. HDR in that game also makes the picture look dimmer and the same time raising the blacks washing things out.

TGO

Digital Foundry analysis has mentioned the raised blacks and according to them the best way to play the game at the moment is with HDR disabled and Gama set to SRGB in the game settings (you cannot change Gama level with HDR on unfortunately).

TyMUrB6.jpg
What about consoles?
Edit I swear that option wasn't there before 😳

Last edited:

TGO

It's how I'm playing it on PS5. HDR off and with Gamma set to "Monitor sRGB".
Yeah I heard about it before but I swear it wasn't there when I switched to SDR 😂

Last edited:

Umbral

Overall I´m having fun. But some of the design choices are simply stupid and create unnecessary and totally avoidable frustration. I can´t believe the game is not saving bought upgrades for example. I kept dying in the same place yesterday. And each fucking time I had to redo the whole 3D-printer thing. You can´t even skip the cool but always the same upgrade animations.
100% agreed. The checkpoints are poorly placed.
The combat mechanics are ok but could also use some quality-of-life implementations. Healing is basically broken. Due to the overly long animation, healing during a fight is impossible.
You shouldn’t be healing in fights, unless you really have a window or lots of space. This is kind of an aspect of the genre of survival horror. The melee combat already deadens some of the horror, healing too fast would damage it further.
The same goes for switching weapons. Even the fast switch between two weapons is taking forever. Encounters with more than 2 enemies are especially frustrating as the combat mechanics were clearly designed for one on one fights in mind.
You have 2 frames, a primary and a secondary. Switching between frames is done by tapping left on the d-pad. This is faster than changing receivers on the frame mid-fight by tapping right and choosing a weapon. I would choose a primary and a secondary, such as Riot Gun and Hand Cannon, and stick to those. This isn’t explained in the game at all as far as I recall, or perhaps just explained poorly.
So yeah... it´s a cool game with next-gen level visuals, fantastic audio and great enemie design. But a forgettable story and needed quality-of-life improvements drag it down to mediocracy.
All fair. Sorry to be that guy, but it’s mediocrity. Mediocracy is something else entirely.
Inventory system is a bit annoying seeing how little slots you have. But not that too bad. You can sell bullets if you have an abundance of them. Personally I like to keep at least two stacks for the first weapon with me and one health pack (only one, and sell the rest at vendor) and I seem to do fine with item management. Leave spaces for scrap, maybe one battery. Sometimes I don't even bother with battery packs and drop them if I want something else in its place. The checkpoint/save system also sucks.

But yeah. Outside of those little annoyances the main qualm I have is the difficulty spikes at certain points which is not helped by Jacobs slow AF movements. Its almost playing like an old RE game with with how tanky it feels. Still really enjoying the game.. But I do feel though that some QoL stuff could've helped bring this game much higher. Like they should have made health packs MUCH faster to use which can actually be used in combat. Have a 180 turn and maybe damage markers or queues if they are going to spawn enemies behind you, about to attack. Like I would like the one or the other. Its bad enough trying to dodge and enemy in front of you and have a plan of action against multiple mobs, other than relying on sound.. some luck and have Jacob do a dodgy slow turn to see wtf is behind you.
The slow movement and slow health is part of the genre. I don’t know if we need a quick-turn as much as we need enemies to not gangbang you with your back turned or when they’re just off to the side.
Yeah I heard about it before but I swear it wasn't there when I switched to SDR 😂
You have to turn it off at the system level, then close the re-poen the game for it to appear. I had the same issue.

I’m not happy about it either.
i understand that. as far as the suit being a problem? seems to me that most new game+ carry-over lists have always taken into account story-related things like keys & puzzle pieces, & simply left them off. easy enough to just throw the suit into this category, i'd think...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Really?
I thought the ammo was generous at the beginning but currently I have like 3 bullets at the moment because they are pretty sparse.
And it's been like that for last hours or so
And yes I stomping on enemies after killing them, smashing boxes and eggs.
And I barely use the gun.
Do you explore? i know people says that the game is a straight line but it's not really true, you have some optional area.

Maybe it's because i used melee a lot for the first half so i was full choke with ammo or because i killed any optional enemy with stealth so i saved ammo, but i never once felt like the game was strict with ammo, between what i found and what i bought, by the end boss i was with like 60 shotgun bullets, 35 for pistols, 130 for the assault rifle, 10 for the shotgun pistol and 10 for the rapid fire pistol (and i had to sell some of the weaker ones to have place for the heavy ones)

And you can buy them, they are honestly more useful than many upgrades.

p.s. i also saved a lot of ammo in the hardest part of the game by almost only using the grabby thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

TGO

Do you explore? i know people says that the game is a straight line but it's not really true, you have some optional area.

Maybe it's because i used melee a lot for the first half so i was full choke with ammo or because i killed any optional enemy with stealth so i saved ammo, but i never once felt like the game was strict with ammo, between what i found and what i bought, by the end boss i was with like 60 shotgun bullets, 35 for pistols, 130 for the assault rifle, 10 for the shotgun pistol and 10 for the rapid fire pistol (and i had to sell some of the weaker ones to have place for the heavy ones)

And you can buy them, they are honestly more useful than many upgrades.

p.s. i also saved a lot of ammo in the hardest part of the game by almost only using the grabby thing.
Do I explore? Yeah I'm 8 hours in and I'm here
9ocmEIG.jpg

( Sorry for the shitty photo the PSapp isn't uploading my captures for some reason)
Ironically I just came into a bunch of bullets so I'm okay now.

GymWolf

Do I explore? Yeah I'm 8 hours in and I'm here
9ocmEIG.jpg

( Sorry for the shitty photo the PSapp isn't uploading my captures for some reason)
Ironically I just came into a bunch of bullets so I'm okay now.
There is an area with enemies that you can kill in stealth even if they are in group together, use that area to fill your inventory, don't waste a single bullet on them.

TGO

There is an area with enemies that you can kill in stealth even if they are in group together, use that area to fill your inventory, don't waste a single bullet on them.
Yeah whenever I get the chance I stealth kill them.
If I have to use the gun I take their legs out and stomp them 😂

GymWolf

Yeah whenever I get the chance I stealth kill them.
If I have to use the gun I take their legs out and stomp them 😂
No, the enemies i'm talking about don't need any leg breaking stuff, you are gonna understand when you reach the point i'm talking about.

Do not fear to stealth among them even if they are close.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

TrebleShot

What’s going on here?
there are no HDR/SDR settings on my version…

I read somewhere on twitter that the EU version is missing options or something?

I don’t have any toggles for HDR, just brightness (TV is lG G2)

SCB3

The more I play the more I think this

This feels almost like a University Project I would've made myself, like someone has taken the Sci Fi shooter corridors, grimed them up and added blood textures and added in some trigger box jumpscares and scary ambient sounds in the Unreal Engine

Don't get me wrong its a decent time, a solid 7/10 for sure, but this is not the horror game I expected at all

TGO

No, the enemies i'm talking about don't need any leg breaking stuff, you are gonna understand when you reach the point i'm talking about.

Do not fear to stealth among them even if they are close.
Don't tell me it was the fog bit, I dragged them out & pinned them to the wall.
I just did the ambush from the trees bit if that helps understand where I am.

Beat Glen Shofield's Punch Out last night. Autosaves said it was 8 hours and 20 minutes, but I'm sure it was just shy of 10 hours.
pvNCCKD.jpg

Missed accidentally getting the Platinum trophy on my first playthrough by 3 audio logs.
faa0a9389de04c6110d965b4a9bce73c.gif

Last edited:

SCB3

Out of the main Prison and onto the Frozen Moon, this is not the Europa I was expecting, also reminds me of Dead Space 3 a lot here,

Nautilus

Banned
The reviewers who said this game has no enemy variety are just insane. Chapter 4 and already has seen a lot of enemy types.

You can say that they are not super distinct visualy(Striking Distance could have used colours other than skin colours. Its aliens we are dealing with for gods sake) but there is a lot of variety and they do different things.

Last edited:

hinch7

Completed the game. Switched to easy on the last section as I just wanted it done. Started off well with promise as I like the premise and characters. Though it ran out of steam about half way through and a slog towards the ending chapters. The last sections of the game especially awful
with the elevator, repeated dual headed bosses and last boss (who's a bullet sponge asshole from hell)
killed it for me. Then you have the absolute dog shit save/checkpoint system, unbalanced and wonky combat, a temperamental force ability and the crap Ai. Felt like they spent most of the time on the visuals and production and ran out of dev time on the actual game and just did whatever. At least the visuals and sound/s were pretty great as were the performances. My rating - 6/10 if generous. Probably closer to 5 though.

Roll on the real Dead Space, next month.

Last edited:

Beechos

Holy fuck this game hard so far. Reminds me of evil within part 1 type of difficulty. Does the game get any easier once you get some guns lol. Also whats the point of manual save if it just takes you back to a certain checkpoint. I guess no save scumming in this game but having to backtrack after a manual save/rewatching a cutscene is annoying.

Last edited:
What are you supposed to do when you run out of ammo fighting the two-headed boss? (third encounter)
Melee results in instant death every time.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just finished the game! Really liked the last few hours and I liked the ending. Plus that end credits song that you heard earlier on a little speaker.

Definitely will give it another playthrough (maybe now or wait till DLC is out). I'd probably give this an 8/10 overall.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
What are you supposed to do when you run out of ammo fighting the two-headed boss? (third encounter)
Melee results in instant death every time.
Isn't there a printer right before the encounter? Print some ammo.

If it's one of those battles where you have regular enemies in addition then those should spawn ammo upon dying.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
PSA on the two-headed guys: DO NOT use your heavy attacks. I wasted a lot of time and ammo on three encounters before realizing this. Once you knock them to their knees use your normal combo and you can knock them back.

I've just hit the chapter that begins in the blizzard and so far I've found this to be painfully boring. There are far too many environmental interactions (shimmying, crawling, climbing) and the animations for all of them are so damn slow. The combat is tedious, the locations are visually identical, but what surprises me the most is how uninteresting the story has been. Even the audio logs are devoid of developing the world's mythology. And apparently I'm through the best part of the game? Eek.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've just hit the chapter that begins in the blizzard and so far I've found this to be painfully boring. There are far too many environmental interactions (shimmying, crawling, climbing) and the animations for all of them are so damn slow. The combat is tedious, the locations are visually identical, but what surprises me the most is how uninteresting the story has been. Even the audio logs are devoid of developing the world's mythology. And apparently I'm through the best part of the game? Eek.
I felt that the second half of the game was better overall. The story expands much more towards the end.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Loving this so far. Just reached the Habitat. Haven't seen it mentioned but as well as Deadspace, I get massive Escape from Butcher Bay vibes too. Ass is constantly clenched.

Visuals are top notch and the sound design is incredible. Sure, multiple enemies at one's can be a hassle, but once I levelled up the shotty and unlocked the heavy attack, it became MUCH easier.

MMaRsu

Banned
The reviewers who said this game has no enemy variety are just insane. Chapter 4 and already has seen a lot of enemy types.

You can say that they are not super distinct visualy(Striking Distance could have used colours other than skin colours. Its aliens we are dealing with for gods sake) but there is a lot of variety and they do different things.
Huh theres like three different enemy types lmao

Orbital2060

The melee system puzzles me; I havent played the game so Im only going on reviews and impressions when I say that it sounds like the developers struggled with melee combat to the point that they settled with the qte system instead as a replacement for a proper melee hit box based combat. But there is ranged combat where you obviously have some kind of hit detection for it to work.

Whether its something like that, or a bright idea by the developers, it does not sound like something I would enjoy especially when there are issues with multiple enemies in melee range. Now I cant even remember if Dead Space had melee combat.

GymWolf

The melee system puzzles me; I havent played the game so Im only going on reviews and impressions when I say that it sounds like the developers struggled with melee combat to the point that they settled with the qte system instead as a replacement for a proper melee hit box based combat. But there is ranged combat where you obviously have some kind of hit detection for it to work.

Whether its something like that, or a bright idea by the developers, it does not sound like something I would enjoy especially when there are issues with multiple enemies in melee range. Now I cant even remember if Dead Space had melee combat.
Dead space melee combat was just the stomp and the last resort "punch" to end some enemies, combat is 90% ranged.

TrebleShot

what mode is best to play on PS5?
Fidelity with full effects or Performance with 60hz?

Interested in everyone’s opinions.

Top Bottom