• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

thatJohann

I enjoyed the game but it definitely it has its flaws, my biggest issue with this game is not its combat but it level design.

waaaaaaaaaaaay too much crawling in vents and sliding through walls, I dont think even GOW and TLOU had this many. It make you less motivated to explore or do 2nd playthrough.
This. The game is a shimmy simulator wtf.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Other then the day one patch this is the first update.
But its for PS5 so what's to fix? other then the HDR.
pDIdna8.jpg
f3GLlYh.jpg
Tg1pnBr.jpg
8AYzRzN.jpg

Also I just noticed the PS button has its own sound effect in the game complete with vibration.
Nice👍
Turn on limited black level on your tv when playing with hdr. Helps for me.

Btw 2 more things I’ve noticed that are a bit crap.
You can see headlight reflection everywhere but it’s not on your character.
And spoopy random lame noises around. Like cmon I know these are random horror noises from these shitty movies. Let atmosphere build realistically.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I enjoyed the game but it definitely it has its flaws, my biggest issue with this game is not its combat but it level design.

waaaaaaaaaaaay too much crawling in vents and sliding through walls, I dont think even GOW and TLOU had this many. It make you less motivated to explore or do 2nd playthrough.
It sorta reminds me of Batman Blackgate. Metroid style Batman with a ton of vents. Go here, rip vent, another vent, clear the room, go in vent.

I don’t know how long or how far I am. I’m
in the sewers going to the dome. All this talk about Evil Within 2, that had a cool small sewer area with those tall creepy ass monsters.
I’ve gone to an upgrade station and accidentally upgraded something. Maybe I was just pressing X too much, but I got a cool upgrade.

I feel like I can’t customize anything. He’s on a set path, no real backtracking, no real armor to try on/swap out. There’s something really good here. Maybe it’s the lack of character development. It sorta reminds me of Manhunt.

I’m anxious to see how the game plays out. It doesn’t have the O2 tank floating in zero G while you’re maneuvering through some rooms in space like Dead Space 1/2. It’s a lot more grounded in its setting. I get Escape from Butcher Bay vibes too.

Nautilus

Banned
Ok, It's official:

The inventory system is shit.There is no other word for it.

I think I have left behind more than 20 items behind because I couldn't carry them, and I'm still in the third chapter. I guess their intention was to not let the players horde and become too powerful(since you can save a shiton of bullets because of the mellee) but it is still shit. There is no worse feeling in a SURVIVAL horror game to miss an item, more so because the game won't let you carry it.

Outside of that, this game has been great.

Neff

Question: Anybody know how to avoid getting grabbed? I can usually avoid damage in an encounter by dodging and crowd control. Where I keep getting dinged is when it's a one-on-one situation, and they run straight up and grab you. Not sure how to counter

Same way you avoid melee attacks, just hold left or right and you'll automatically go into a dodge.

Nando13

So, I've found an exploit. We you restart from a checkpoint, you get all your GRP battery back. Which can be very useful if the next section has spikes/fans, or simply can throw enemies off the map.

apowhungo

Anyone know if new game + will let you change difficulty? Going through it on normal and it hasn't been too much of a challenge yet/looking to up it to hard next playthrough.

Umbral

Ok, It's official:

I think I have left behind more than 20 items behind because I couldn't carry them, and I'm still in the third chapter. I guess their intention was to not let the players horde and become too powerful(since you can save a shiton of bullets because of the mellee) but it is still shit. There is no worse feeling in a SURVIVAL horror game to miss an item, more so because the game won't let you carry it.

What’s nice is things don’t disappear if you drop them, so I’ll drop items and grab what I wanted then come back if I can to pick up what I dropped.
Anyone know if new game + will let you change difficulty? Going through it on normal and it hasn't been too much of a challenge yet/looking to up it to hard next playthrough.
No NG+ until February. No details either.

Nautilus

Banned
What’s nice is things don’t disappear if you drop them, so I’ll drop items and grab what I wanted then come back if I can to pick up what I dropped.

No NG+ until February. No details either.
If you move on to other areas, you are locked out from the previous, so that strategy only works so much. Discovered that the hard way.

FeastYoEyes

Gotta admit, the game is getting long in the tooth about halfway through. The arsenal changes aren't making a big enough difference and the variety is not good enough.

Umbral

If you move on to other areas, you are locked out from the previous, so that strategy only works so much. Discovered that the hard way.
There are some areas you can manage it, but only because I’m on my second time through, so I know the flow somewhat.

Gotta admit, the game is getting long in the tooth about halfway through. The arsenal changes aren't making a big enough difference and the variety is not good enough.
I felt this a little too. I would get new weapons but none of them ended up replacing the hand cannon.

It also doesn’t help you
only get one suit the whole game but at like the halfway point.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just got the Tactical Pistol and went through the big room with tons of the blind enemies. That section is broken as you can stab them right next to each other and nothing happens.

I have tons of ammo right now it seems. Game still going strong and now has even more variety with the weapons.

As for the inventory there was a few times I left some ammo or health behind, but most stuff you can make a trip back and grab.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

This combat system is ridiculous, I never know how many times to dodge before hitting an enemy as it is different with the same kind of enemy sometimes it's one hit and then sometimes you need to keep dodging before you can melee. You have no idea where they're coming from sometimes and you just get grabbed from behind with no indicator, its unnecessarily difficult in the respect. That and the endless crawling through vents and shimmying and I've basically just started the game, it's so slow. These few bad design choices weigh the game down so much.

ZehDon

This combat system is ridiculous, I never know how many times to dodge before hitting an enemy as it is different with the same kind of enemy sometimes it's one hit and then sometimes you need to keep dodging before you can melee...
For me, the trick was to always assume there's one more attack. When the enemy does stop attacking, it will be well telegraphed and there will be a sizeable window to start your own combo. It's a back and forth - borderline turned based - with very clear "now is your time to attack" and "now is their time to attack" windows built in to it. Good or bad, that's how it works.

Justin9mm

For me, the trick was to always assume there's one more attack. When the enemy does stop attacking, it will be well telegraphed and there will be a sizeable window to start your own combo. It's a back and forth - borderline turned based - with very clear "now is your time to attack" and "now is their time to attack" windows built in to it. Good or bad, that's how it works.
Yeah it's really annoying for me, the game is so slow already, its made me impatient.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Ok, It's official:

Yet you are here, hoarding items and complaining about inventory space. Just use what the game gives you. Resources are plentiful.

ZehDon

Yet you are here, hoarding items and complaining about inventory space. Just use what the game gives you. Resources are plentiful.
Reminds me a little of Alan Wake in that regard. In that game, they'd reset your inventory every chapter or so, incentivising using the resources like the flare gun because they'd be gone anyway. Here, it feels less about long term resource conservation and more about short / medium term.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This combat system is ridiculous, I never know how many times to dodge before hitting an enemy as it is different with the same kind of enemy sometimes it's one hit and then sometimes you need to keep dodging before you can melee. You have no idea where they're coming from sometimes and you just get grabbed from behind with no indicator, its unnecessarily difficult in the respect. That and the endless crawling through vents and shimmying and I've basically just started the game, it's so slow. These few bad design choices weigh the game down so much.
actually, you can keep dodging until the enemy "combo" is finished , you still have enough time to attack them. It takes some practice. The moment they stop hitting you, its the time to melee them.

Last edited:

Umbral

blade-runner-blade.gif

These checkpoints are going to ruin my life. You mean to tell me not one tester threw a controller through the TV? Nobody picked up the PS5 and smashed it on the ground, stomping it repeatedly, scattering shards of plastic and transistors across the floor? Nobody? I don’t believe it. This shit has me livid.

Stop wasting my time. I just quit for the evening because I spent time looting and selling items only to get killed shortly after resetting my progress to before I did all of that. Give me save stations. I don’t trust you with checkpoints anymore.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Reminds me a little of Alan Wake in that regard. In that game, they'd reset your inventory every chapter or so, incentivising using the resources like the flare gun because they'd be gone anyway. Here, it feels less about long term resource conservation and more about short / medium term.
I always dropped ammo, batteries and health items in favor of resources that would give me credits at the printer and i never ran out of anything. It's a complaint i just can't understand.

Umbral

how can it be that evil west released with new game+?...
They’re on that next-gen development.

Truly, I think it’s because of the suit. The story dictates when you get it and how it looks, so they’ll have to account for that if you can carry everything over. No suit > Full suit > Suit minus helmet. They’ve got celebrities whose faces you need to see anyway.

I want to mute all the main characters speaking and I want to cover up Duhamel’s face with an opaque visor. Let me live, Glen.

Last edited:
They’re on that next-gen development.

Truly, I think it’s because of the suit. The story dictates when you get it and how it looks, so they’ll have to account for that if you can carry everything over. No suit > Full suit > Suit minus helmet. They’ve got celebrities whose faces you need to see anyway.

I want to mute all the main characters speaking and I want to cover up Duhamel’s face with an opaque visor. Let me live, Glen.
what? it'll take them months because they have to account for 'the suit'? you realize that that's basically worse than no excuse?...

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I only just started, but it looks like you can alleviate most reviewer complaints within the options menu. In addition to three difficulty levels it features a lot of other stuff you can enable/disable. Auto-dodge, single button qte's or completely automated ones, snap-to auto aim, aim assist, etc.

At only an hour in I wouldn't say the combat is bad, but it is very different. Don't have a gun yet, so that is just my impressions on melee so far.
Can you really edit all those options? None of the reviews I read mentioned that, even thought several of them ranted about the dodge being bad.

Umbral

what? it'll take them months because they have to account for 'the suit'? you realize that that's basically worse than no excuse?...
I’m not happy about it either.
Can you really edit all those options? None of the reviews I read mentioned that, even thought several of them ranted about the dodge being bad.
Yes, there are enough accessibility features that the game can almost play itself. I couldn’t get auto-dodge to work when I tested it, but I have heard of others using it just fine. I think a lot of the reviewers came in with an ax to grind with this game, so I’m not surprised.

Last edited:

shubik

Overall I´m having fun. But some of the design choices are simply stupid and create unnecessary and totally avoidable frustration. I can´t believe the game is not saving bought upgrades for example. I kept dying in the same place yesterday. And each fucking time I had to redo the whole 3D-printer thing. You can´t even skip the cool but always the same upgrade animations.

The combat mechanics are ok but could also use some quality-of-life implementations. Healing is basically broken. Due to the overly long animation, healing during a fight is impossible. The same goes for switching weapons. Even the fast switch between two weapons is taking forever. Encounters with more than 2 enemies are especially frustrating as the combat mechanics were clearly designed for one on one fights in mind.

So yeah... it´s a cool game with next-gen level visuals, fantastic audio and great enemie design. But a forgettable story and needed quality-of-life improvements drag it down to mediocracy.

Spaceman292

Banned
I’m not happy about it either.

Yes, there are enough accessibility features that game can almost play itself. I couldn’t get auto-dodge to work when I tested it, but I have heard of others using it just fine. I think a lot of the reviewers came in with an ax to grind with this game, so I’m not surprised.
Reviewers are so fucking awful when it comes to horror games. I just watched some joker on youtube spend several minutes complaining about how the automatic dodge was too easy.

J3nga

Finished the game and yeah, no more than 6,5 from me.

Big margin of improvements for a sequel.
They should've made Resident Evil 2 on a space station instead of Order 1886 on space-prison station. I doubt there'll ever be a sequel.

Last edited:

tommib

Yes you can! I noticed this from most of the "big outlet" reviews too, it's some bullshit for sure.
I partially blame marketing. You see all the recent big games focusing on accessibility options on their pre-launch marketing videos. They should’ve done the same for Callisto, even with the potential backlash from “hardcore” gamers.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Patc 1.07 will be released later today:
The Callisto Protocol 1.07 Patch Notes:
  • Addressed random stuttering issues.
  • Fixed game crashing issues.
  • Fixed frame rate drop bugs.
  • Addressed Ray-Tracing related issues.
  • Fixed skins related bugs.
  • Addressed issues related to audio.
  • Performance improvements added.
  • Added gameplay optimizations.
  • Added general stability fixes.
  • Other minor fixes.
Note: The full changelog will be available soon.
Update: Out on Xbox

Last edited:
Gutted that it turned out to be a disappointing game. Preordered digital on PS5 but got a refund today as I hadn’t booted it up (have been busy wrapping up god of war).

Got £50 sitting in my PSN account now and no idea what to buy with it! Going to skip Dead Space and have it be a great memory.

hinch7

Ok, It's official:

Inventory system is a bit annoying seeing how little slots you have. But not that too bad. You can sell bullets if you have an abundance of them. Personally I like to keep at least two stacks for the first weapon with me and one health pack (only one, and sell the rest at vendor) and I seem to do fine with item management. Leave spaces for scrap, maybe one battery. Sometimes I don't even bother with battery packs and drop them if I want something else in its place. The checkpoint/save system also sucks.

But yeah. Outside of those little annoyances the main qualm I have is the difficulty spikes at certain points which is not helped by Jacobs slow AF movements. Its almost playing like an old RE game with with how tanky it feels. Still really enjoying the game.. But I do feel though that some QoL stuff could've helped bring this game much higher. Like they should have made health packs MUCH faster to use which can actually be used in combat. Have a 180 turn and maybe damage markers or queues if they are going to spawn enemies behind you, about to attack. Like I would like the one or the other. Its bad enough trying to dodge and enemy in front of you and have a plan of action against multiple mobs, other than relying on sound.. some luck and have Jacob do a dodgy slow turn to see wtf is behind you.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Before starting the game I saw lots of complaints about fighting larger groups of enemies. I'm now more than half way through the game and so far this has been an issues ZERO times.

Any time there are multiple enemies you can either dispatch of most (if not all) of them by throwing them into environments or by fighting a few and throwing the others further away.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
I'm playing on a home theater audio setup and the audio sounds muffled especially the characters voice. It's almost like the game thinks I'm using headphones, but there isn't any options to choose your audio setup.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game is so bad I stop playing Ragnarok because of it...
There's no excuse for this shit!
The Devs are responsible for pulling me away from a GOTY contender with their terrible terrible game 😏

Nando13

Screenshot_2022-12-05_at_15.01.56.png

After switching to easy mode because I hated the combat on my first walkthrough, I gave it another opportunity and enjoyed it way more. I still think that a combat system should not take a considerable amount of practice to stop being frustrating. But, if you take your time with dodges and swings, they can't touch you (I sold 10-15 health injectors on my hard playthrough).

Con-Z-epT

Before starting the game I saw lots of complaints about fighting multiple groups of enemies. I'm now more than half way through the game and so far this has been an issues ZERO times.

Any time there are multiple enemies you can either dispatch of most (if not all) of them by throwing them into environments or by fighting a few and throwing the others further away.
I also never really struggled with groups. The further a came the more motivated i felt to ran straight into them and figure out what to do with the mob.

The GRP is completely OP. When you upgrade it to full force some enemies will die just by throwing them into a regular wall. And then you find a lot of explosives or saw blades that you can throw. You can also lure them away and line them up nicely in a straight line to make melee against groups easier. With the amount of ammo the game drops, and provided you upgraded a weapon a bit, you can play this as a shooter in parts of the game.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Gutted that it turned out to be a disappointing game. Preordered digital on PS5 but got a refund today as I hadn’t booted it up (have been busy wrapping up god of war).

Got £50 sitting in my PSN account now and no idea what to buy with it! Going to skip Dead Space and have it be a great memory.
Midnight Suns is a lot of fun. If one look at it turns you off, then stay away, but if you are on the fence, I'd definitely recommend it.

Btw, does anyone like this game more than Dead Space? Just curious.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I also never really struggled with groups. The further a came the more motivated i felt to ran straight into them and figure out what to do with the mob.

The GRP is completely OP. When you upgrade it to full force some enemies will die just by throwing them into a regular wall. And then you find a lot of explosives or saw blades that you can throw. You can also lure them away and line them up nicely in a straight line to make melee against groups easier. With the amount of ammo the game drops, and provided you upgraded a weapon a bit, you can play this as a shooter in parts of the game.
I really never used the grab in dead space saga but i had to use it here because fighting more than 2 enemies is a big nono, but i haven't upgraded to the max, only level 2.

Yeah ammo were super generous even on hard, by 3/4 of the game i just approached the whole thing as a shooter:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I really never used the grab in dead space saga but i had to use it here because fighting more than 2 enemies is a big nono, but i haven't upgraded to the max, only level 2.

Yeah ammo were super generous even on hard, by 3/4 of the game i just approached the whole thing as a shooter:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Stasis in Dead Space was also really powerful and a necessity on higher difficulties. You really have to play with the enemies here. If to many aproach you, you can easily throw them further back.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Stasis in Dead Space was also really powerful and a necessity on higher difficulties. You really have to play with the enemies here. If to many aproach you you can easily throw them further back.
In dead space i just used to throw the spikes you detach from enemies to impale them because i liked the physics:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

When i played ds saga i was way less skilled so probably never played on more than normal, things are gonna change with the remake.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Im waiting for a sale and few patches before playing this, but im definitely gonna play it. Hopefully they will fix some of the issues players are having like bad checkpoints etc by the time i pick this up

Top Bottom