• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
A few hours in. Only got the chance to really dig into it last night after the pc patch dropped. Really enjoying it overall. Game looks absolutely insane at times. I had no idea going into it that melee was going to be such a big part in the game. Not a bad thing but I wasn't expecting it. I also had no idea Tad Hamilton was our MC.

My only complaint is that I don't find the game to be all that scary. It got me to jump a few times, but I think the og Dead Space was scarier. This may change but I hope they can slow down a bit for the sequel and build more tension. Overall, it's very solid and I'm happy with it.

tommib

A few hours in. Only got the chance to really dig into it last night after the pc patch dropped. Really enjoying it overall. Game looks absolutely insane at times. I had no idea going into it that melee was going to be such a big part in the game. Not a bad thing but I wasn't expecting it. I also had no idea Tad Hamilton was our MC.

My only complaint is that I don't find the game to be all that scary. It got me to jump a few times, but I think the og Dead Space was scarier. This may change but I hope they can slow down a bit for the sequel and build more tension. Overall, it's very solid and I'm happy with it.
It’s not as scary but it has more grime in it. It’s dirty. It’s exploitative in its use of gore and cheap scares. It’s not trying to be smart and sophisticated. More than ever, I really think they went for the Galaxy of Terror vibe:

All good things in my book.

Arachnid

interesting, were you playing on PC & keyboard? Reading some comments really makes me think both of my controllers are broken. I also played on hard and died maybe 100 times, 98 of which were due to Jacob not dodging when I hold dodge. TLOU2 dodge was perfect, WAY easier to pull off, and first and foremost 100% reliable.
Oof, that sounds rough. I'm on xbox with an elite controller. How are you dodging? You're not trying to time it, right? All you have to do is hold it in one direction. For example, the mini-boss and the main boss are both completely helpless as long as you strafe to one side. They only do one punch at a time (no combos like normal enemies) so you only have to worry about dodging to one side and they can't touch you. As long as you are strafing when they attack, Jacob will dodge every time.

For me, TLOU2 dodge seemed waaaay more timing specific and unforgiving if you didn't catch the window. In this, it feels almost impossible to not catch the window unless you get complacent/bored with it like I did a few times. Just alternate holding to the sides and don't let go of it. Always be strafing to one side during combat. That will always open them up for your own combos mixed with the reticle assist gun attacks.

If that is what you're doing, it may very well be your controller.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It’s not as scary but it has more grime in it. It’s dirty. It’s exploitative in its use of gore and cheap scares. It’s not trying to be smart and sophisticated. More than ever, I really think they went for the Galaxy of Terror vibe:

I've never seen that movie. It looks... interesting.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
52539986080_1033ae575c_o.png

52539986085_69824cb377_o.png

52540057248_f3c678cff4_o.png

Duchess

1. The blonde has nice boobs.
2. LOL at the bit where the guy's severed hand throws the shuriken-like weapon at himself! :)

Con-Z-epT

Finished the game!

A good game, a solid effort for this studios first game. Much to like here but also some shortcomings.

Sound design, lighting and ultimately the atmosphere are exceptional and these things alone make this game worth playing. The visual where breathtaking at times especially considering it's a cross-gen game. For the fact that it has this much tension i was surprised to see that the game isn't scary. I'm completely numb to all the jumpscares and pretty much everything they tried in terms of scaring me has been done before. Combat made a lot of fun in every sense but was lacking in variety and became a bit stale by the end. Boss encounters where staged quite epic but are a weak part of the game. The GRP felt OP in combat and was completely underutilized outside of that. Upgrades didn't gave me a sense of progression. The checkpoints where bad. Not the position itself but for the fact it wouldn't save the upgrades or the collectables.

For me the design and the aesthetics where curse and blessing. I feared it would burn me out before the Dead Space remake but it has a surprisingly self contain identity. Very grounded and well designed. But it was missing some otherworldly deep space impact. The game could have easily been taken place on a future earth and it wouldn't made a difference. I'm still yearning for that "Event Horizon" feeling. Dead Space scratches that itch much better if you ask me.

In general the first half of the game was the best and it subsided from there. Not to sound like i hate the game and in fact i had a lot of fun with it but i just hoped it would be more than it was. I hope the studio builds on this and given the ending i would be surprised if we don't see a part two.

I will jump back in when they patch in New Game + and I'm very curious to what they will have in store for the DLC next year.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Finished the game!

A good game, a solid effort for this studios first game. Much to like her but also some shortcomings.

Sound design, lighting and ultimately the atmosphere are exceptional and these things alone make this game worth playing. The visual where breathtaking at times especially considering it's a cross-gen game. For the fact that it has this much tension i was surprised to see that the game isn't scary. I'm completely numb to all the jumpscares and pretty much everything they tried in terms of scaring me has been done before. Combat made a lot of fun in every sense but was lacking in variety and became a bit stale by the end. Boss encounters where staged quite epic but are a weak part of the game. The GRP felt OP in combat and was completely underutilized outside of that. Upgrades didn't gave me a sense of progression. The checkpoints where bad. Not the position itself but for the fact it wouldn't save the upgrades or the collectables.

For me the design and the aesthetics where curse and blessing. I feared it would burn me out before the Dead Space remake but it has a surprisingly self contain identity. Very grounded and well designed. But it was missing some otherworldly deep space impact. The game could have easily been taken place on a future earth and it wouldn't made a difference. I'm still yearning for that "Event Horizon" feeling. Dead Space scratches that itch much better if you ask me.

In general the first half of the game was the best and it subsided from there. Not to sound like i hate the game and in fact i had a lot of fun with it but i just hoped it would be more than it was. I hope the studio builds on this and given the ending i would be surprised if we don't see a part two.

Sounds like a masterpiece to me.

Great write up. I told you in private that Deadspace doesn't scare me. But I'm sure to check it out eventually!

💗

Hugare

After reading some of your reviews I won't be picking it up next week. I'll wait until it's 1/3 of the price and 100% fixed.

I'm afraid that by that time Dead Space Remake will be released and there will be no need to even play this.
Some of you are putting too much hope on a remake not being made by the original devs

Watch comparison videos and you'll notice tons of little things that they are getting wrong that affects the atmosphere

Isaac's body language, for example. He doesnt look scared. He doesnt look around while moving, his body is always straight instead of curved from tension, he doesnt tilt his head while aiming.

The video calls that Isaac receive from other survivors look and sound prestine, like they are livestreaming from Twitch. Voice acting also sounds worse.

Dead Space is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm very cautious about this remake

Con-Z-epT

...but I can’t give up on the quality mode because the cutbacks are just too many. I tried performance but I just can’t. The difference is gigantic in mood:
Same for me. Tried it a few times but no way "quality" isn't the way to go. I really don't mind the 30fps in this game. Smooth for the most part and a slow game in general.

There are some scenes near the end where i literally couldn't believe how good they looked.

Neff

I've never seen that movie. It looks... interesting.

The most interesting thing about it is that James Cameron did the art direction and a lot of set-dressing/model building for it. There are times when it does look very nice despite clearly being made for peanuts. It also has an infamously gross scene. Otherwise it's fairly bland sci-fi and honestly not worth the run time.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Really, really liking this game. Linear action survival horror fans are eating good the next few months.

Question: Anybody know how to avoid getting grabbed? I can usually avoid damage in an encounter by dodging and crowd control. Where I keep getting dinged is when it's a one-on-one situation, and they run straight up and grab you. Not sure how to counter

SCB3

Some of you are putting too much hope on a remake not being made by the original devs

Watch comparison videos and you'll notice tons of little things that they are getting wrong that affects the atmosphere

Isaac's body language, for example. He doesnt look scared. He doesnt look around while moving, his body is always straight instead of curved from tension, he doesnt tilt his head while aiming.

The video calls that Isaac receive from other survivors look and sound prestine, like they are livestreaming from Twitch. Voice acting also sounds worse.

Dead Space is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm very cautious about this remake
A shame because as you mentioned, that tension that Isaac is having? Well its the first time this has happened, in 2 and 3, hes a vet. I'll wait and see, I like what I've seen of it so far outside of a few minor things, but Dead Space is a special game that tbh, would've been fine with a Remaster as it still holds up well now

As for Calisto, a few hours in and this is some good creepy stuff so far, the combat though, fuck I only have to hold left and I dodge, counter, repeat to win, easy mode

tommib

Same for me. Tried it a few times but no way "quality" isn't the way to go. I really don't mind the 30fps in this game. Smooth for the most part and a slow game in general.

There are some scenes near the end where i literally couldn't believe how good they looked.
Yeah, there’s stuff in here that honestly I haven’t seen before, specially with how the shadows and lights bounce each other and those soft reflections on materials that aren’t glass. There’s amazing detail in it.

sainraja

Really? I wonder then what you do different than me. I have no problem with one or two enemies, but find the whole system inadequate to deal with any more.
Yeah, I had no issues on my first encounter. The way the melee system works in the game is different but you can easily learn and adapt to it.

I'mma be honest, $70 for a game one can 100% in 15 hrs seems like a bit of a steep price.

Especially as there's no replay value right now and will be patched in in a couple of months along with more content like half a year from now.
Well, he enjoyed it. He got his money's worth.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
What’s an orange container? Fuck, then I’m missing that as well. The ones with a warning sign?
They're the containers about the size and shape of a large car battery, orange with blue highlights on them. Decided to see if they'd explode on impact to use in combat and, to my surprise, stuff worth 100 credits popped out! Could've been using them to level up weapons all this time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Are people blocking? I think I tried a couple of times and wasn’t satisfied with it. Never used it again. You just need to press down? If I’m walking backwards I’m going to potentially block all hits?
There is upgrade that lets counter after block, it can be somewhat useful in desperate situation.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
In general i think you get overwhelmed with ammo. I always dropped ammo, batteries and healing items in favor of credits. And even then it seems like you won't be able to max out everything.
Is there NG+ right now? If there is, I bet it was was meant to be maxed out there, just like in all Dead Space games. I skipped one-handed shotgun entirely so maybe I can max out at least 2 weapons now - stun baton and the glove are first in the list.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Is there NG+ right now? If there is, I bet it was wast meant to be maxed out there, just like in all Dead Space games. I skipped one-handed shotgun entirely so maybe I can max out at least 2 weapons now - stun baton and the glove are first in the list.
No New Game + as of now but they already confirmed to patch it in later.

Really, really liking this game. Linear action survival horror fans are eating good the next few months.

Question: Anybody know how to avoid getting grabbed? I can usually avoid damage in an encounter by dodging and crowd control. Where I keep getting dinged is when it's a one-on-one situation, and they run straight up and grab you. Not sure how to counter

I believe holding back to block will work

Edit: normally I'll just shoot them if I see them start sprinting though

Last edited:

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
I am liking the game visually and environmentally so far, but I am not really enjoying the combat at all.

I don't like that the controls change when I am in combat vs. when I am out of combat. When traversing, the left analog stick is used for walking and when in combat, it is now the dodge "button." It was a strange choice, at least for me, and creates this strange disconnect between "normal" gameplay and combat, where every combat encounter almost feels like a mini QTE rather than a standard combat exchange in any other game. I watched some YouTube reviews after playing for an hour or so to see if other people had this same issue, and saw it brought up by them as well (the QTE-style combat). I really wish they had dedicated buttons for blocking and for dodging, if they wanted melee to be such a large part of the combat.

The death animations are cool the first few times, but the fact that they're as drawn out as they are and also unskippable is a bit irritating, especially when you start running into combat encounters with multiple enemies (which don't really fit well with the combat system). Dying and then having to sit through a 10 second animation that you've already seen a few times can really slow the game down (and not in a good way).

Con-Z-epT

the alt-fire for the pistol I got as late as chapter 8 is great fun, I might give that custom difficulty a shot in NG+ just to play with the remaining guns maxed out
That was the only upgrade for a weapon that had some impact and felt like progressing to something better. But i can't do 3 more playthroughs just to see how the others are. I hope New Game + comes sooner than later.

TonyK

Don't ever play a Bethesda game
I don't know, I played their games since Morrowind and I don't remember anything so frustrating as this dodge system. A dodge system that doesn't need any ability or timing, not even a specific direction related to the attack. You simply maintain the stick to the left and then to the right and attack. It's not fun. It's infuriating how something so simply it's at the same time so bad implemented.

TonyK

The death animations are cool the first few times, but the fact that they're as drawn out as they are and also unskippable is a bit irritating, especially when you start running into combat encounters with multiple enemies (which don't really fit well with the combat system). Dying and then having to sit through a 10 second animation that you've already seen a few times can really slow the game down (and not in a good way).
Agree. If you press start/options during that death sequence you can load the last checkpoint without needing to watch the animation.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is the gamma curve broken somehow? Images all seem to have risen black levels and poor contrast...
another patch? They patching this game daily i swear :D
Other then the day one patch this is the first update.
But its for PS5 so what's to fix? other then the HDR.
pDIdna8.jpg
f3GLlYh.jpg
Tg1pnBr.jpg
8AYzRzN.jpg

Also I just noticed the PS button has its own sound effect in the game complete with vibration.
Nice👍

Last edited:

SCB3

Just about halfway through the Game (on the chapter "Habitat") and its been running fine for me on PS5, its fun and the atmosphere is great, a lack of story though, but theres time to understand that, right now the focus is on escaping and thats all it needs to be right now

Top Bottom