• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bitmap Brothers Collection 1 announced for Evercade

Agent X

Blaze Entertainment has announced that The Bitmap Brothers Collection 1 will be released for Evercade later this year.

This cartridge will include the following five games:
  • The Chaos Engine
  • Speedball
  • Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
  • Speedball 2100
  • Xenon 2: Megablast

More information can be found at the following link from the official Evercade Web site:

coffinbirth

Anyone here have one of these things?
Is it good? Seems like it's more for kids, am I wrong about that?
Genuinely curious, not trolling.

Agent X

You mean the Evercade system? I got one a few months ago, and I like it a lot.

Most of the cartridges consist of emulated 8-bit and 16-bit games from the 1970s to 1990s, which would be more recognizable to adults. At the same time, I think kids would enjoy a lot of the games, even if they're trying them for the first time. While the games are relatively simple compared to modern game releases, they're easy to grasp and understand. The system also supports save states for the games (six save slots per game), so you can save your progress anywhere, and resume at a later time.

The system itself is surprisingly well designed. It's about the size of a Sony PSP, and comfortable to hold. The LCD screen is the same size and resolution as that of PSP. The system can also connect to a TV, if you'd prefer to play that way. The digital joypad and buttons are accurate and responsive.

tenor.gif

Speedball II is giving me DOS/Amiga flashbacks.

EDIT: How come GODS or Magic Pockets aren't included in that collection?

Last edited:

Agent X

How come GODS or Magic Pockets aren't included in that collection?

I'm sure they want to save something for a potential Collection 2. :)

Kind of want one of these for the Lynx carts. But no STUN Runner on either

The Lynx collections were one of the main reasons why I was interested in getting the Evercade. I've got the Atari Lynx Collection 1, and I'm pleased to say that the Lynx emulation is excellent! Actually, just about all of the emulation I've encountered on Evercade is high quality, but the Lynx is particularly noteworthy because there aren't any official Lynx compilation packs outside of the ones offered on the Evercade. (I've recently seen Lynx games licensed to some new streaming service, but I forgot the name.)

S.T.U.N. Runner would be great to have on a future compilation pack. A lot of Lynx arcade conversions were licensed from Atari Games, Williams, and Midway, all of which merged into a single company in the 1990s. Most of their game properties belong to Warner, who has done very little with them in recent years.

cHaOs667

Damn, there was so much potential instead of putting two more Speedballs than the second title on the disk.

It is known which version they are using? I bet they are not using the CD32 version of Speedball 2 :(

Turnstyle

I've got an Evercade. Have quite a few carts for it, some are great, like the Lynx and Oliver Twins collections.

This one feels a bit weak to me though. Does anyone really need 3 Speedball games? I mean, I played 2 loads back in the day, but this feels excessive.

5 games also feels incredibly tight. They've said it's down to space issues due to Speedball 2100 being a PS1 game, but when some other carts have 15+ games on them, it's not a great value proposition.

Despite all that, I am tempted just to play Chaos Engine again...

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I really liked their games when I was a kid (check my username) but I don’t know how well these are going to hold to current standards.

MilkyJoe

Anyone here have one of these things?
Is it good? Seems like it's more for kids, am I wrong about that?
Genuinely curious, not trolling.

I have one, I'ts pretty cool, well built, I just asked the missus to buy me one to make Christmas less shit becaus eof lockdown, I'm really waiting for the Worms collection to release.

Ozzie666

No Chaos Engine 2, surprising, Since most people have probably never played it. It was a very late Amiga release in 1996/7, I think.

Maybe they will release a second collection with the missing games like Gods, Chaos Engine 2, Magic Pockets and Cadaver.

Speed ball 2 was NHL, before NHL was NHL on Genesis.

Blaze Entertainment has announced that The Bitmap Brothers Collection 1 will be released for Evercade later this year.

This cartridge will include the following five games:
  • The Chaos Engine
  • Speedball
  • Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
  • Speedball 2100
  • Xenon 2: Megablast

More information can be found at the following link from the official Evercade Web site:

Speedball is one of the funnest games I ever played, I have marvelous memories of it ad a kid lol

I WANT IT!

yurinka

Amazing compilation, many of these games are stunning classics. Specially Speedball 2. Let's hope they are all the Amiga version of the games. I never played Speedball 2100, is it good?

Last edited:

Agent X

It is known which version they are using? I bet they are not using the CD32 version of Speedball 2

Let's hope they are all the Amiga version of the games.

I don't think they've yet revealed which versions they're using. It's unlikely that they will use Amiga (including CD32) versions. I remember someone asked them on Twitter about using Amiga versions of games for one of their previous collections. Their answer was that there was some issue with licensing the Amiga BIOS that prevented this from happening.

So far, it appears that they generally use versions of games from video game consoles in their cartridges, rather than computer versions.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
  • Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe #
One of the great games of the Amiga era. Worth it alone.
Yeah, but a shame there’s no proper ending when you win both of the leagues it just quits to the title screen.

Plus you could brute force the computer opponent by constantly pressing fire all the time on the joystick to clatter his players and get them stretchered off. Happy times.

cHaOs667

I don't think they've yet revealed which versions they're using. It's unlikely that they will use Amiga (including CD32) versions. I remember someone asked them on Twitter about using Amiga versions of games for one of their previous collections. Their answer was that there was some issue with licensing the Amiga BIOS that prevented this from happening.

So far, it appears that they generally use versions of games from video game consoles in their cartridges, rather than computer versions.
Yeah, licensing could be an issue (haven't completely forgotten about what an utter rubbish the whole situation on the Amiga licences is).

But one little correction. You speak of the Kickstarter. The Kickstarter is not an BIOS but part of the OS and providing some of the most important OS functions via ROM (sometimes via Disk). For this reason you was forced to upgrade your Kickstart ROMs when you've upgraded the major or minor version of the OS.

Agent X

The Bitmap Brothers Collection 1 and Intellivision Collection 1 cartridges are being delayed. They are now scheduled to be released on November 3, 2021. More information can be found at the following link:

The Bitmap Brothers Collection 1 and Intellivision Collection 1 cartridges are being delayed. They are now scheduled to be released on November 3, 2021. More information can be found at the following link:

Thanks for the update, hopefully can get downunder for an XMAS pressie.

Top Bottom