• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bioshock Infinite we never got

Pretty sure this has been passed around quite a bit and quite a while ago here on GAF. Most of us do lament for what could have been, but that games original tech/ideas were WAY too much for the console hardware at the time. What we got was ok, I enjoyed it enough to play through it twice(once on 1999 Mode, FUCK YOU LADY COMMSTOCK), but it was the weakest entry in the series.

We haven't heard much from Ken Levine other than he has his new Ghost Story Studios from a few years back, so hopefully he's had the time to make the game he wants. I know he said they want to figure out how to make a procedural infinite story type games, so whatever that means.

Last edited:

chaseroni

As someone who just finished up a playthrough of the game again for the first time since 2013.
I'm happy with what we got. Sure it could have been better but I think they did a great job with most of the things they were trying to pull off.
Songbird is pretty dope too.
Now where is Bioshock 4....

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
As someone who just finished up a playthrough of the game again for the first time since 2013.
I'm happy with what we got. Sure it could have been better but I think they did a great job with most of the things they were trying to pull off.
Songbird is pretty dope too.
Now where is Bioshock 4....

I can barely remember this game. What from the OP's video was lost in the final product?

Not a new video, but I’m always down to gin up conversation regarding Infinite. And you think GAF is torn over TLOU2? Infinite is polarized to the extremes and the middle ground is largely barren.

I played through this game once, 5 or 6 years ago. I enjoyed it. The combat was fun, the world was pretty and much of the story was interesting as well. I didnt really understand the ending though. I watched a youtube video about it and appreciated it more after that.

skit_data

Ken Levines visions always faschinates me.

I played through Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite again a couple of months ago for the second time since they released and its quite obvious that Infinite wasnt treated by 2k in the same way the first Bioshock was. Im pretty sure they had to change stuff Levine originally wanted to be in the game, either because of costs or because it was politically controversial.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I seriously hope the Bioshock series goes back in the way of one and two,

3 was just the most boring game I think I have ever played.

Saying that It did have some nice art.

johntown

Banned
What am I missing here? I played the game a long time ago but everything in the video I thought was in the game?

Ken Levines visions always faschinates me.

I played through Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite again a couple of months ago for the second time since they released and its quite obvious that Infinite wasnt treated by 2k in the same way the first Bioshock was. Im pretty sure they had to change stuff Levine originally wanted to be in the game, either because of costs or because it was politically controversial.
I recently was on a deep dive in the immersive sim genre and watched a lot of the making of Bioshock videos, Bioshock was in the works in wildly different forms over the years and had a pretty rough dev. cycle, the publisher was really rushing them to release whereas with Infinite they got a lot more time to try and make their vision work believe it or not. I think they vastly underestimated the scope and dev time required for the hardware. And they had a REALLY tough time getting Elizabeth to behave like they wanted. It's pretty clear that Infinite's development cycle was pretty stressful at the time, especially being the 3rd game in a series that both prior titles being so well regarded.

Thinking about the OG Bioshock, they were originally gonna go with a Nazi bunker with crazy experiments in it and the whole Andrew Ryan/Ayn Rand parallels weren't really added at all at that point. Little Sisters weren't even a thing until much later in development, hell, they were gonna be slimy little slug monsters originally. There's some really fascinating fan documentaries on youtube about it.

ethomaz

Banned
BioShock Infinite was one of the best gaming experience in my life.
So I can't say the same of what it was not shipped.

What am I missing here? I played the game a long time ago but everything in the video I thought was in the game?
Well the video has only part of the game.
What he talk is what they meant to be different.

Last edited:

TexMex

Not worried about what could have been. I feel like people have soured on it over the years but I thought the game we got was incredible. Absolutely loved it. 10/10.

carlosrox

Banned
Forgot what this trailer is even like.

What we got was incredible anyways. Easily one of my favorite games that gen, and it was a great gen!

Top Bottom