• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

So, part of my issue with Guppy was I never go into Cursed rooms. Once I realized, I started using them. I got Guppy last night and then did Challenge 8.

I have to do #20 to finish those.

I found an odd but decent strat for Meatboy and Bandage girl.

It almost worked but I didn't get the correct final horseman so I had to restart.

Dumped another 100 pennies in.

Closing in on the end.

I suspect the booster is coming tonight based on Tyrone's Twitter. He asked Edmund what a modem is used for. He usually does these weird questions to Edmund the day the update is supposed to go live, and I figure the answer is "a modem is used to download the booster"

And the booster is out

Some new enemies, a few items, some remade sprites

I don't know if it was worth the wait. Despite being told it was "bigger than the other boosters" it's smaller than Booster 1

AoM

And the booster is out

Some new enemies, a few items, some remade sprites

I don't know if it was worth the wait. Despite being told it was "bigger than the other boosters" it's smaller than Booster 1

tenor.gif

No unlock requirements for the items, either.

I bet by the end of all this the PC version never gets new achievements and the Switch/PS4 versions will be the best versions.

Items:
Death's List
Haemolacria
Lachryphagy
Trisagion
Schoolbag

Trinkets:
Extension Cord

Enemies:
Gush
Fistuloid
Tar Boy
Cross Stone Shooter
Tube Worm
Soul Sucker

Resprites
Technolgy Zero
Broken Modem
Angry Fly
Pop!
7 Seals
Sprinkler
Doorstop
Hairpin
Butter

I guess maybe it's bigger than booster 1? The enemies have their own rooms, they aren't just replacements for other enemies. There's actually a decent number of new rooms.

The resprites are really nice. Tech 0 looks really great.. Doorstop looks even more ugly. I liked the old Hairpin sprite, but the new one is okay.

There's probably some other fixes that are bit more obscure

Edit: Booster contributors are now in the credits. NICE

Oh my god, they added over 400 new rooms. Not only just for the new enemies, but a ton of new regular rooms

The afterbirth floors that never really had unique rooms now have a ton of unique rooms and most of the new enemies are completely exclusive to those floors, unlike the new AB enemies that were clearly designed for those floors

The new floors, enemies and item sprites were made by the Antibirth crew.

cyba89

EU Switch retail version update:
MyNintendo point redemption works now. Link to the eshop still gives an error.

Can someone check if this game appears on your profile now when a friend looks at it?

shiyrley

Banned
EU Switch retail version update:
MyNintendo point redemption works now. Link to the eshop still gives an error.

Can someone check if this game appears on your profile now when a friend looks at it?
Yes, it does. The eShop link is still broken but that's never gonna get fixed I guess(There's no digital version of the game that's published by Headup Games, and I guess it isn't okay to link the Nicalis version since it's a different product)

This game was being particularly cruel yesterday. Three runs in a row with one damage up between them (a Magic Mush on the second run).

First run, I got to the womb with 2.5 damage on Eden, but it got to the point where it was just getting stupid and I put the run out of its misery. It was taking way too long. In Depths I had to fight Rag Mega, with 2.5 damage. It took an entire row and a half of soul hearts. That fight basically crippled me for the rest of the run. No way was I going to sit through It Lives at that pathetic damage.

Second run, this time as Isaac, managed Magic Mush in Caves after a reroll boss item, but that was it for good items. At ~7 damage, I managed to make it all the way to the chest, before dying to a double Adversary room. I'm pretty sure without the Tick, the run would have ended in the Womb. I picked up Angry Fly entirely because of his new sprite, and ended up getting Beelzebub by the time I died (literally the room right before I died lol).

Third run, Eden again, garbage start. No damage ups. Got a very early Blank Card, but nothing to use with it. Died in Depths with 3 damage and some junk items. 0 Devil deals, due to having only 3 bombs the entire run... and no tinted rocks to even blow up anyway. A curse of the blind Fruitcake basically sealed the deal, since I kept exploding myself.

I saw no new Booster items. Fruit Cake made my tears into the new Angel Room Brimstone a few times, but that's it.

The new cross firing turrets are pretty bad and there's a few not great room set ups with them that are particularly obnoxious with low damage. One features a ring of rocks around a giant room, drowned Chargers in the middle, and four cross turrets around in a small square. That room was a nightmare. These turrets fire at the same rate as regular turrets, but the way they shift around their direction and fire in 4 ways makes them way more challenging. I think they need a slower fire rate or something.

The drowned spitter worms are pretty easy enemies, and given the choice between them and drowned chargers, I'm going with the worms.

The tar lump and tar boil are pretty interesting since they combo together. The tar lump on it's own is mediocre, but if you're standing in ink, it has a special attack that shoots tears right under your feet (after a telegraphed chance to dodge). So the boils shooting tar around the room work together. It's the sort of combo that we've never seen in Isaac before, but is common in Antibirth, so the trademark of that team is alive and well with these enemies.

I never saw the mini fistula or brimstone fly. I wasn't even sure if the latter was even added to the game (I thought it was unused content in the files), but it has a spot for a bestiary entry, so I guess it is. I haven't heard of anyone actually fighting one of these flies. They work like the flies that shoot out tears when you kill them, except they launch brimstone. Their rooms must be very rare. Edit: Looked it up, Sheol and Dark Room exclusive enemies, that would explain why I've never seen them and no stream I watch has seen them.

My Once More With Feeling Achievement/Unlock has been bugged forever so I thought I'd try again after this latest patch/booster - nope. Also it crashed part way into my Victory Lap. Oh well. Not going to faff about again quitting and continuing and trying to get it to ping. It can sit there with the two Daily Challenge Achievements that I'll never get because I have never done a single daily lol

dickroach

so I've played for a couple of hours trying to get the new items

I've got Death's List twice, Lachryphagy twice, and Maemolacria once

this last run I did I had the best synergy ever. piercing tears+Tech 0+chocolate milk. it was like Tech X on steroids. downed Hush in less than 10 seconds (had a good damage stat... 17 i think)
- Maemolacria showed up in the chest, and all it did was screw up that synergy. maybe it'd work well with something else but I didn't like it.
- Death's List is a cool idea, but it's usually a big pain in the ass to kill the enemies in the right order in every room. the handful of times I got it I got a little range up or luck up or like an extra key or something. nothing really great.
- Lachryphagy is like Pop! 2.0. meh

then in the Womb i found a D4, and had sackboy so I got a bunch of batteries to spawn. tried to roll myself into getting the last couple of items, but it didn't work. one's a shop item and one's an angel room item, so I'll just do a couple of greed mode runs and i should be able to find em. BUT i did re-roll so many times that the game started taking away items, and by the last D4 roll I went from having like 40 items to having like 6. weird.

My Once More With Feeling Achievement/Unlock has been bugged forever so I thought I'd try again after this latest patch/booster - nope. Also it crashed part way into my Victory Lap. Oh well. Not going to faff about again quitting and continuing and trying to get it to ping. It can sit there with the two Daily Challenge Achievements that I'll never get because I have never done a single daily lol

OMWF unlocks the best pill in the game, though

OMWF unlocks the best pill in the game, though

I have no idea how to make it go. I have the Rerun option which you can only do by doing 3 Victory Laps. So Once More With Feeling should have popped on the second lap but nope. It just won't. What pill is it?? Because I avoid pills unless I have PHD or that other item that does the same....I forget the name of it.

crops55

This game was being particularly cruel yesterday. Three runs in a row with one damage up between them (a Magic Mush on the second run).

First run, I got to the womb with 2.5 damage on Eden, but it got to the point where it was just getting stupid and I put the run out of its misery. It was taking way too long. In Depths I had to fight Rag Mega, with 2.5 damage. It took an entire row and a half of soul hearts. That fight basically crippled me for the rest of the run. No way was I going to sit through It Lives at that pathetic damage.

Second run, this time as Isaac, managed Magic Mush in Caves after a reroll boss item, but that was it for good items. At ~7 damage, I managed to make it all the way to the chest, before dying to a double Adversary room. I'm pretty sure without the Tick, the run would have ended in the Womb. I picked up Angry Fly entirely because of his new sprite, and ended up getting Beelzebub by the time I died (literally the room right before I died lol).

Third run, Eden again, garbage start. No damage ups. Got a very early Blank Card, but nothing to use with it. Died in Depths with 3 damage and some junk items. 0 Devil deals, due to having only 3 bombs the entire run... and no tinted rocks to even blow up anyway. A curse of the blind Fruitcake basically sealed the deal, since I kept exploding myself.

I saw no new Booster items. Fruit Cake made my tears into the new Angel Room Brimstone a few times, but that's it.

The new cross firing turrets are pretty bad and there's a few not great room set ups with them that are particularly obnoxious with low damage. One features a ring of rocks around a giant room, drowned Chargers in the middle, and four cross turrets around in a small square. That room was a nightmare. These turrets fire at the same rate as regular turrets, but the way they shift around their direction and fire in 4 ways makes them way more challenging. I think they need a slower fire rate or something.

The drowned spitter worms are pretty easy enemies, and given the choice between them and drowned chargers, I'm going with the worms.

The tar lump and tar boil are pretty interesting since they combo together. The tar lump on it's own is mediocre, but if you're standing in ink, it has a special attack that shoots tears right under your feet (after a telegraphed chance to dodge). So the boils shooting tar around the room work together. It's the sort of combo that we've never seen in Isaac before, but is common in Antibirth, so the trademark of that team is alive and well with these enemies.

I never saw the mini fistula or brimstone fly. I wasn't even sure if the latter was even added to the game (I thought it was unused content in the files), but it has a spot for a bestiary entry, so I guess it is. I haven't heard of anyone actually fighting one of these flies. They work like the flies that shoot out tears when you kill them, except they launch brimstone. Their rooms must be very rare. Edit: Looked it up, Sheol and Dark Room exclusive enemies, that would explain why I've never seen them and no stream I watch has seen them.

Why even bother past the first two levels with those starts? If i don't at least have a decent damage boost (4.5+) before the caves i typically restart immediately unless i have an item that is known for positive yields in the near future. The caves are by far the hardest floors given the layouts and enemies combined with being relatively underpowered. if you are starting those floors with 3 damage i would say the run is likely a bust.

Why even bother past the first two levels with those starts? If i don't at least have a decent damage boost (4.5+) before the caves i typically restart immediately unless i have an item that is known for positive yields in the near future. The caves are by far the hardest floors given the layouts and enemies combined with being relatively underpowered. if you are starting those floors with 3 damage i would say the run is likely a bust.

I don't know, there's always a chance to get some kind of run winner from pure luck. I'm just playing for fun, and a turn around can be exciting.

Like Judas's Shadow via a Fallen fight or something. I did fight Fallen, but I ended up with Ghost Baby...

I have no idea how to make it go. I have the Rerun option which you can only do by doing 3 Victory Laps. So Once More With Feeling should have popped on the second lap but nope. It just won't. What pill is it?? Because I avoid pills unless I have PHD or that other item that does the same....I forget the name of it.

Gulp. Acts like a free Smelter.

crops55

I don't know, there's always a chance to get some kind of run winner from pure luck. I'm just playing for fun, and a turn around can be exciting.

Like Judas's Shadow via a Fallen fight or something. I did fight Fallen, but I ended up with Ghost Baby...

Gulp. Acts like a free Smelter.

Yeah but in my opinion having to shoot regular spiders and poop squirts more than once for a kill for 6 floors plus is not fun. The little chubs in the caves are even worse with that kind of damage.

School Bag can just get silly
I could basically get any item I could possibly want. Finally got God Head for Real Platinum God.

I forgot to try for Eye of Greed, though, so one more item left... I remembered on the Chest, but it was curse of the Blind AND...

School Bag is very glitchy. By the time I hit the chest, I guess there must be a memory leak or something, because I could only clear a couple of rooms before the game crashed. This proved to be an interesting challenge because I had a Cursed Eye (from Curse of the Blind) and could use it to warp. So basically it was RNG if I could beat the Chest or not lol.

Occasionally my character model would also have a white box around it.

Also it doesn't work with the double charge battery. As soon as you swap items, the second charge is lost.

This was pretty much the most broken I have felt since Void + Mystery Gift was a thing.

dickroach

yeah I broke the game trying to get that new Angel room item (didn't get it... 3 full runs, not a single angel room. wtf) and got white boxed

LQIBuKF.png

double charge worked fine for me tho.

Itzsfo0

Neo Member
Not sure if I'm just rusty or if the lack of a real dpad on the switch is making the game seem harder, struggled to make it out of basement 2. I haven't played BoI for about 18 month's though, so it could be that but i really miss the dpad on this thing as the buttons don't feel right.

Also had a couple bad runs in a row at the beginning with ru a wizard and the dunces hat showing up as well as other dodgy tear effects. Not a great first session on switch :/

really i could never use a dpad for a game like this...all edmund games ive always used thumbsticks and i love the button layout on the switch joy con...ive put 248 hours into switch version and while it would be nice to havea regular dpad....just to have it doesnt bother me mainly bc even tho im a longtime gamer 3 decades ive been using dual thumbsticks for everything under the sun for....well lets see since psx days...dualshock 1 ...1995 ish...i.e. sophmore year of high school.....to present day 2018...last 23 years? lol...well theres been a few exceptions like...pc gaming with blizz titles like diablo...d2 lod....warcraft....wow....mmos mainly n rts titles....

but everything else....platformers n roguelikes/lites....metroidvanias....racing....jrpgs...arpgs...fps...its all thumbstick...i wouldnt know what to do wthout...i even tried thumbstick with isaac recently...my god did i feel handicapped...felt...for a lack of a better definition restricted....rigid...thumbstick allows me to control azazel or isaac with precise timed turns n you know generally smoother axis based turning...i can roll azazel around in perfect lil circles spitting flame tears at ease...having said all that i am not trolling or hating or criticizing i can only speak for myself...but (and while i know its march 2018) and so my post is a year late...

it may not matter to you anymore or at this point but im sure you realize the switch now has multiple control schemes n controllers...including the pro wireless controllers..which whilea bit overpriced the are pretty good...there is the original black base model....$69.99 then theres the splatoon 2 themed one which came later in 2017 and even more recently in december 2017 the xenoblade chronicles 2 limited edition wireless switch pro controller...

this specific model isnt just a different visual asthetic this model has several improvements upon it...see the pro controller for all of its rave reviews n acclaim n decent sales its dpad has constantly been critiqued n hated for its sensitivity n low quality design/build...well the xenoblade 2 variant has an added central pivot underneath which makes it a much improved now widely appreciated so that model is now being called the best of the 3 pro wireless oem switch controllers....

it also has increased textured grips for handling like the back of xbox one elite n recon tech controllers do....only real downside is pricing & availability ...bc the xenoblade 2 controller was a best buy n gamestop limited edition controller n bc it sold very fast n flew off store shelves its damn near impossible to find in stores and it was a few bucks more whereas regular pro controllers are $69.99 the xenoblade 2 edition was $74.99 ...$5 more...but thats when you could FIND it physical in stores back in dec.2017/jan.2018...

now only place you can find a steady supply of new versions is the oh so obvious amazon and ebay....and BOTH sites are charging well over $100 now....on amazon listers selling new unopened xenoblade 2 pro controllers are on average ...$119.99-$124.99-$129.99....throw in tax and shipping & handling christ you may as well say $140 bucks...I luckily got mine new in store 3 months ago at base $75 price...

anyway its just a thought incase in present day you still had a switch and no pro controller variation...while the joycons not having a proper dpad doesnt really bother me i still agree w the majority it should have came built in..anyway hope this helps n sorry for long run on.

Just_one

How the hell do u beat delirium with the keeper?!?!?

Also is it just me or is broken modem glitched on ps4? Im pretty sure ive done that is needed to unlock

bitbydeath

How the hell do u beat delirium with the keeper?!?!?

I've beat him, it is possible.

Also is it just me or is broken modem glitched on ps4? Im pretty sure ive done that is needed to unlock

Yes. You need to do something like complete/win 30 daily runs or something for the thing to unlock even though you actually get the broken modem before then.

There is a more infuriating unlock though which is pretty much impossible to complete which really sucks.

yaBVaja.png

Last edited:

Itzsfo0

Neo Member
Rebirth on the Wii U crashed a lot and took a good second to load doors sometimes, but it was my first, real, step into Isaac and worked good enough. I had a lot of fun with it, until I decided to just move my Isaac play entirely to the PC. Improved Lost and the other nice parts of Afterbirth helped.

I wonder if the Switch port will be any good. I don't really have any reason to play it, but it'd be nice if it was at least decent and didn't crash every so often.

I know this post is a solid 2 years late (2017 when you posted your original comment)...I just happen to be on here, and saw it and I'm probably already telling you something you know (by now) - but incase you dont. The Switch version if vastly superior to the Wii U version (as is the device itself lol). I actually liked the Wii U, but like many - it was a love/hate affair...but I got the Switch in late 2017...a good 8-9 months after its release, and the first game I got for it (was not TLOZ: BOTW), it was actually TBOI: AB+ (I was able to snag a physical copy of the now-hard-to-find brown cover w the bundle 2 packs of stickers, the mini golden manual which is a throw-back a shoutout to the late 80s era of classic gaming manuals ....and the game cartridge as well. The blue cover admittedly is a bit cooler, but does not include the bundled pack of items ,I was insanely lucky to find the game cause I had already hit numerous stores in several trips out...Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Gamestop (2 different locations), even Gamers Paradise (which around here is a local ma&pa store, not a chain retailer...they are inside a Amish Flea Market - where there is a half dozen vendors...and they have great prices on games, both vintage and modern. But of all places, I found a copy of TBOI: AB+ (at my old job, where I worked twice in previous years) as well as where I also found my Nintendo Switch (red/blue bundle system just weeks prior) - of all places (drum-roll) Toys R Us. They were actually (in late 2017/early 2018) in the process of closing down (not entire business, but many of the stores outlets across the country have closed down...the years have not been good to Toys R Us, esp in the age of Amazon & Best Buy. They were in chapter 11/ bankruptcy court (even as I worked there for seasonal/holiday work in 2016). Anyway the guy at Gamestop laughed at me when I asked for a physical Switch copy of TBOI: AB+ (which was a timed exclusive release on Switch in June 2017) esp the limited edition cover, I told him "I know...I know, I was just hoping / against...maybe a miracle could happen...I know that copy of Isaac goes for over $100 online sometimes on Ebay & Amazon...he didn't believe me, till he checked and damned if I was right. But of all places, I found a copy (there was 1 copy of EACH cover/version) behind the glass case / locked at Toys R Us in the back at the electronics dept.

Anyway, that was Dec 2017/Jan 2018- a solid 19 months ago....(and I just checked my nintendo Switch and it says 'The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - Played for 1,280 hours or more" (IE I'm nearing 1,300 hours...and so far I've only got a few things left to do....all 15 characters unlocked (15/15) including all completion check marks (all 10 for each character, including hard mode check marks, and Greed/Greedier) The Lost & The Keeper & The Forgotten are complete as well. As for the challenges (all 35 unlocked), and all 35 complete (including SPEED !, and Ultra Hard) which many people seem to hate. I wont deny numerous (and numerous is a friendly word) attempts...but like with anything in this game ...it comes down to (more so then luck even) - 1 word: Perseverance - lol I jokingly referred to The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ as The Binding of Isaac: Perseverance+. The guy at the electronics dept at Toys R Us that day after I pointed and asked him to get "that" lol - he then proceeded to tell me the game was on sale (b/c all electronics both hardware & software were on a 10% sale b/c of the going-out-of-business-sale). So what was normally $39.99 - now was $29.99 (and here in Maryland - its 6% sales tax) so....$31.49 total, couldn't complain...I went over to Target (across street) and found the 1 accessory I was looking for...the HORI table-top stand (as I had no intentions of playing with the dock / docking the system) and sure enough 18 - 19 months later (and about 2,000 hours played on system) I still use it (the system) almost exclusively in table-top mode (for awhile, I played in handheld mode). Holding the system wasn't as bad as some people make it out (then again everyone is different)...but in Dec 2018 ( a full year after I got system ) - the Super Smash Bros Ultimate game released for Switch (as well as the Pro Controller / Limited Edition) and I rarely get limited-edition-anything (I never do pre-orders, I never buy DLCs or seasons pass, I usually buy games pre-owned in COMPLETE/GOTY editions w/ all included content..) so as you could imagine it was quite rare for me to actually get a new controller that was limited edition much less...

I went to Gamestop the girl said they hadn't gotten their Smash Bros Pro controllers in (I didn't really care about the game as much, I just wanted a Pro Controller, and I didn't want the original Black Pro Controller, its not a bad controller by any means but why not get the newer model with the improved D-pad, which has a central pivot added underneath ?) its the same with the (previous year Dec 2017 - release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and the Xenoblade Chronicles Pro Controller) both controllers, released a year apart, both special/limited editions, both have the improved D-pad. I dont even really care / use the d-pad but...the look/aesthetic of the Smash Bros Pro Controller I personally like, and I need one anyway (regardless) so....as I was walking out, not really miffed but...a bit let down considering it was Friday (the day of Smash bros release) and the controller was reported to release along-side...well as I was leaving (I gave the girl my #...for incase they found a copy or got a copy in at some point over weekend) I didn't even get to my car, and pull out of the mall, before I got a call from Gamestop Harford Mall- and the same girl said "Hi Michael...yes this is _____ from Gamestop...I wanted to inform you that in the back/store room we actually did find a dozen deliveries of the Smash Bros Ultimate Pro Switch controller(new) incase you were still in area / or interested" ok...lol - walked back in, slapped $75 (+ tax) -is $10 more then the regular Pro Controller ($65) ...and since then (the last 8 months) I have stopped playing in Handheld mode, now I almost exclusively play in Table-top mode, the HORI table-top stand is so nice, it has 3 adjustment sliders, I always sat the Switch on the stand when I was done playing,back when I played in handheld mode - but NOW I play exclusively in table-top mode (100%) the dock & HDMI cable sits in a drawer, collecting dust...I only play the system in handheld mode when I am going somewhere and take it with me, but as crazy as it sounds, I dont like to take it with me very many places,cause I baby my systems, and (unlike the $150 New 2DS XL / half the price of the Switch)...the Switch feels more expensive, and its newer, and ...well...it IS more expensive...and so as funny as it sounds a system that's main selling point is a "hybrid" that can be a handheld, and on-the-go - I almost never take it anywhere, so I am probably that minority gamer that keeps the Switch AT home, yet doesn't play in DOCKED or HANDHELD, almost always in table-top (from here on out) the Joy-cons are fine (despite some issues with drifting which seem to be universal, and theres an easy fix for that). But ever since getting that Pro Controller, yea....its so much nicer...its like "i'm never going back" sorta thing.

So (apologies for long run on) but...basically thats my setup as of now (and will prob be from here on out) now with the recent news update (and unveiling) of the Switch"lite" I may be just that person that would actually BUY 2 Switch's - 1 (the original & more expensive model) for home/table-top gaming...plug n play / hop in/ hop out. And the other (cheaper,strictly handheld variant) for on-the-go-gaming, esp since Bowser has already stated that they will have some sort of cloud/digital implementation for cross-system play...(IE go from playing a game at home on OG Switch in table-top mode, to getting up and leaving on a road trip, and taking $200 Switch lite on the go, and not having any interruption in game play, picking up where I left off, saves & everything).

That would be perfect, I rarely use social media, and rarely read comments (in reddit, facebook, youtube, etc) and I can imagine the Switch-lite unveiling is prob getting 80% negativity (as usual with most things) tons of YT uploads of "impression" videos, and vloggers ranting about it being an unnecessary piece of equipment (lol I could say the same about the Xbox One X, but do I complain?) no....I own them all too (PS4 Pro, New 2DS XL, Nintendo Switch, Wii U, X360, Xbox One X, Desktop PC ::ASUS::, Phone & Tablet) admittedly the last two (phone & tablet) I don't use for gaming...not into freemium/auto-runners & iOS crap, phone & tablet are strictly for data/browsing/411/work. PC is for that as well (and some gaming) I use my last-gen Wii U Pro Controller and a blue-tooth connection and a 3rd party software (WiiNuSoft) to play Steam games on PC using Wii U Pro Controller, or I just hook up my Xbox One adapter and use the Xbox One Elite Controller (I have so many controllers it aint funny) from the Wii-mote/nunchuck collecting dust to...the Smash Bros Pro Controller and Dual Shock 4, to several keyboards, etc. But I'm a dual-thumbstick kind of guy. always have been. I've played other great games on the Switch as well....Celeste (completed, 20 hours) Hollow Knight (111% completion, 130 hours), Dead Cells (120 hours, near completion as of current content), TLOZ: BOTW (220 hours played, both DLC packs, all shrines, screw getting all the korok seeds though...no real point, but otherwise I did everything else), Axiom Verge, Hyper Light Drifter, Enter the Gungeon, Salt & Sanctuary, The Messenger, Owlboy, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Xeodrifter, A Robot Named Fight, End is Nigh (another McMillen title), (I have super Meat boy on my last gen X360...XBLA...and after a year or so of playing, I got Golden god - 110% - including all Cotton Alley Light & dark world levels all A+, all unlockables, all bandages). And I destroyed End is Nigh...so its basically just TBOI left to complete. I do a mix of physical/digital, AAA and indie...all devices, I dont discriminate, and I don't do fanboy[ism]. And after 31-32 years of gaming (since the late 80s when the NES was the current hardware - my first device was a Atari 2600-hand-me-down from older sister though)...PCs, laptops, desktops, dial-up (AOL days), Diablo....Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans (floppy disc days), C&C: Red Alert, PSX era, GB era, GBC era, SNES & N64...all the way up through 2000s, and Plasmas, and flip phones, and Gamecube and PS2, and Game-Gear, and PSP, DS, DSi XL, PS3 & Xbox 360 (several 360s over the years as most people have, 13 years with the same Xbox Live account) PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, currently...and black berries, and smartphones, chromebooks, and smartphones. FHD, becomesQuad HD becomes 4k, becomes 8k. CD, DVD, Blu-ray DVD, 4k Ultra Blu-ray/violet....whats next lol

I know I'm off topic, by alot...apologies (wasn't meaning to troll or make your eyes bleed) - just so rarely comment. Or even get involved....(the rock I stay under has alot of bugs, so I needed to get out a bit ...lol)...as for Isaac though on Switch (oh yea that very topic at hand, before I went all ADD and got side-tracked) ...well it runs great on the Switch...I mean great....crashes ? well so far in (as I said nearly 1,300 hours) 2 crashes, and "1" of which was when I saved game, logged out real quick and hours later logged back in and it had a error, and closed out...that was the only time / worse thing thats happened in 18 months of play. Quite literally...and the thing is I've seen TBOI on other platforms (PS4, on a large regular sized 49" Sony UHD TV, average modern HD/UHD TV) and I've seen TBOI on Steam on PC (on a 28" Asus PC monitor in 2018) and I've seen it on PS Vita Slim (up close about 9 months ago)...and personally I like the smaller screen of the Switch. For 1 big reasons, indie games (that are heavily pixelated, or sprite-based) tend to look washed out on larger screens...on smaller (condensed) screens (doesn't matter if its LCD, LED, etc) it always tends to look better, more natural - the colors POP, more defined.

Maybe I'm a bit biased & jaded here when I say this...esp after (well over 1,000 hours) on 1 system...but I have seen Isaac on other platforms, on larger more standard TV's, and gaming monitors, and while it was more then serviceable (and prob ran just fine) - it just doesn't look as (and I use this word, for a lack of a better definiton/word) - "sharp" - on my Switch, with my reading glasses on, sitting only 1 foot from the table-top stand (I was hoping I could take a picture of my (basic, but working) setup in my room, with my phone, upload it to my desktop PC, and then upload the picture to this forum...so you could see what I mean, the picture looks good (its HD naturally) but I'm a bit far away from the Switch screen, so it doesn't look as clear/sharp (as it does for me in real-time) naturally. But I'll link up a photo below, this is literally my setup, you can see my legs at the bottom, I'm sitting on my bed (which is directly infront of the little wooden table (I have a small 32" RCA 1080p/2017 HDTV, nothing special...but serves its purpose, I have a pS4 Pro & Xbox one X hooked up to it, and 3rd HDMI is the Direct TV mini-DV-R receiver. Switch (of course) since It's in table top mode, doesn't need a HDMI input....and my phone & tablet, of course don't hook up to anything, and my Wii U & X360 are unhooked sitting in a drawer collecting dust. It's basically just the "main 3" devices I have hooked up right now, off in the corner (out of photo) is my ASUS desktop PC, and my walk-in closet....its a small room, and theres a small table BEHIND my TV (where the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X sit, 2 feet away or so)...but where I lay my head ? its perfect, I can rise out of bed, Grab the Smash Bros Pro controller, PRESS the HOME button (and my Switch stays in SLEEP mode, so I can launch the system literally instantaneously and within 2-3 seconds, at the bare-bones UI...(which some complain about, but personally I love it, the very thing that people cry & moan about with Nintendo..having a lack of Apps & Features, streaming services, friends lists, messengers, etc - ) well that is the very reason for me that I like them. I realize people play online nowadays (and I have wiFi just like everyone else) but I'm just not big into online gaming (esp nowadays) I've done my fair share in previous years/decades...but I've burned myself out, almost 90% of all games I play are single-player/offline (and if they DO have online/multiplayer features, I don't utilize them, and being I dont play sports games, and I'm not big into E-sports, or fighting or competitive games (racing, RTS, sports, FPS) i mean...I've PLAYED FPS, and some racing and fighting in past years, but they've always been my least favorite/interested genres. ARPGS, dungeon crawlers, action/adventure, open world ARPGS, RPGS (in general), Metroidvanias (and all the varying sub-genres in the platformer genre) are my preferred type of games, be it AAA OR Indie.

So I realize (and I agree) Nintendo is draconian when it comes to their business & online services...but they h ave it where it counts, making SOLID games (that MOST of them time - run relatively well, out-of-box, very few single player bugs, FUN games, and they have 15-17 certified franchises of which to pull from)....so....if their P2P or Dedicated servers suck, or if they have those dreaded friends codes, and seem to be ass backwards about certain online aspects/mechanics (I get it) but....I just dont care, as I am enjoying games LIKE (Isaac, alone, single player) hundreds n hundreds of hours, thousands even. And the Switch is the perfect little hop in / hop out - gaming device, and with a Switch Lite (on the way in later 2019) and possibly STILL a Switch Pro / XL variant (at some point) in 2020...hopefully...well thats an entire family of devices....and the Switch is already starting to "near" 37.5 -40 million in global sales by Summer(2019) - when just 8 months ago it had sold 32 million copies. So it just continues to gain momentum...the Wii U failed(from a business / sales / profitability) perspective simply b/c of 1 thing (if you ask me) - lack of an IDENTITY (the same thing ReviewTechUSA,Kotaku, Giant Bomb, Rock Paper Shotgun, Digital Foundry and host of other services/sites have said/stated. It sold 12 million units from 2012-2019 (7 year shelf-life, which is about average for any regular device)...by comparison - the Switch is (just over 2 years old, IE 27 months old...) and has sold OVER 35 million global copies. Another year ? 2 more (at the very least 1 more) new device ? a few big games (Super Mario Maker 2 is eating up the internets bandwidth...LOL that game has ALREADY out-sold the original in less then a month....hell its only been out for...what ? a week ? 10 days ? lol - And with Pokemon Sword & Shield, as well as The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening coming in September (not to mention it will have chalice chamber'd dungeons, which will in essence allow / make the game become a"Super Zelda Maker" -of course to make that assertion, we need more details, and see how deep that feature/mechanic gets. And then we've got Animal Crossing in 2020, Metroid (in the future beyond that), as well as another full-featured/mainline Zelda title (a sequel to Breath of the wild) and there is deep rumblings about continued support of Smash Bros Ultimate, Splatoon 2, and Super Mario Maker 2 ( which could easily extend the life of those games & corresponding hardware by several years). 2020, 2021, 2022, etc. Indie games run great (almost always) on the Switch, and its already been stated - that MOST of them run & look better then the Wii U's version.

Not all games run great on the Switch - naturally the more "demanding" games (ahem Witcher 3) - are going to be scaled down....that kind of game I would NOT buy on the Switch, I love my Switch (far more then I ever did the Wii U) but....my god...that kind of game....I would rather run on Xbox One X / PS4 Pro (or PC). But Nintendo exclusives ? indies (galore) ? - those are the kinds of games that run good/solid on the Switch, well..most of them anyway, zif you even remotely pay attention to gaming news online...you probably h ave been hearing about that recent release "Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night" (which released simultaneously on multiple modern platforms) ...and the Switch version has far more bugs and issues/performance wise on the Switch (which hopefully will get ironed out, but thats sad to know). Isaac on the other hand, is the COMPLETE opposite, it runs QUITE well, by far - better then the Vita OR Wii U version. Infact I would (and several of my friends would back me up on this) - call this version, the "definitive" version of Isaac, I have the opposite feelings that you do...you said 2 years ago in 2017 "it would be nice to see how it runs, but I have no reason to play it on that system" in summary - and thats fine, I respect that b/c hell you've already prob spent ALOT of time on PC version. But for any new player, who owns a Switch, or WANTS a Switch...and wants to play Isaac, I would 100% recommend it. A definite buy....even if you are double dipping but transferring over to the Switch as a main system. I wished (back when the Switch released in early 2017, all the way through 2018) that the Switch would of HAD Cloud-storage from the get-go...cause after spending X amount of time with the game...I realized if (IF) something happened, a system bricking, or stolen, or (you know anything)....I can replace hardware, at some point...and I can replace software (game cartridge, etc) but I cannot (or will not, do not) want to replace MULTIPLE 100s of hours lol. So I was sorta nervous everytime I launched the Switch out of sleep mode (hence why I said earlier I baby the system, and I wipe t he screen down daily, sometimes multiple times, + I keep it at home, and keep it clean, relatively dust-free, in room temperature, and I have never you know pushed up on it, dropped it, etc. So...I baby it basically- I could see myself being a bit more "loose" and less restrictive with a New 2DS XL ($150) or a New 3DS XL ($200) or the upcoming Switch Lite ($200) ....I feel despite the .67 " (3/4 of an inch) smaller screen, which isnt much - its still worth the price of admission. I'm sure Isaac will run great on the upcoming hardware too...i mean its basically the same thing, just smaller, AND has a dedicated D-pad (thank the lord for those that want it)...you deserve it. lol

So Isaac LOOKS & runs good, very good on Switch, only 1 real error/crash (and I was able to immediately launch back INTO game, in less then 20 seconds) so...I really have no complaints...it runs well, and with headphones = deep bass, sounds good...I can just tune in, turn out & disconnect from reality, and the game is addictive, for me TBOI: AB+ on Nintendo Switch, in table-top mode, 1 foot from my bed with a Pro Controller and a HORi table top stand and a pair of headphones = feels like the ultimate/preferred setup. Like the game was tailor-made for the Switch. I'm sorry that it didn't work out quite "as well" for the Wii U, I'm sure any version of this game (cause lets face it, its not that demanding of a game spec-wise lol) this isn't AC: Odyssey or AC Origins, or Bloodborne. or (what have you). It's a cute, yet disgusting, pixelated, twin stick shooter, isometric, dungeon crawler w/ RNG. And can prob run on your damn Texas Instruments calculator (if Edmund really wanted it to) lol. But it feels right for the Switch...it wont CONVERT anyone who already owns the game on another platform - but for those interested, yes it does run & look good..and I have 3 friends (including 1 nephew, 1 cousin, and 1 close-long-time-friend, who ALL own the physical game, and play it, on the regular like myself, and love it on the Switch). It has all the updated content, all the Booster Packs, and DLC...including the recent BP 4 & 5 (And the Antibirth mod).

Anyway the nice thing about my setup is....the AC adapter that plugs directly into the Switch (and I keep it plugged into Switch, as I so very rarely move the system) so...I can just keep it 100% charged (since overcharging is a thing of the past, an d nothing to fear in todays tech) - but what is nice is...the Pro Controller (which only needs to be charged once a week) it holds a nice long 60-70 hour charge. Well when I start to loose a charge, I just unplug the AC adapter from system, and plug it into the controller, once controller is finished (and light goes off) I just unplug from controller, and re-plug / re-insert the AC adapter back into Switch system. My nephew still plays in handheld mode, he bought the SATISFYE gaming grip (which is by far the nicest gaming grip on the market, and I wold shamelessly plug/promote it, IF I didn't already have a pro controller, and playing in table-top mode). I have big sausage link/hands...so the bigger your hands the better the SATISFYE gaming grip becomes. I am addicted to this game ....even no matter how pissed I get at a run (or sequence or runs)...I always take a break, and within the hour or 2...back at it. 11pm at night "just gonna do 1-2 more runs see what I can get"...3am, red-eyes, 4 hours later, I'm 52 minutes into a crazy run, all lazer sharp focus. I have toadmit, very few games hook/have hooked me like this game.

That should answer your question (lol).

Again sorry for the massive -30-page story.

Good day,

Mike

Top Bottom