• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biggest problem with GoW:R / GT7 / H:FW being cross-gen is that we will have to wait another 3+ years to see strongest Sony ip's in full PS5 power

ManaByte

What they are doing with Ratchet sounds hard enough and complex enough that its not a simply res or frame change or something. Insomniac is a extremely talented team with tech, if they were going to lie about cross gen to move units.

You'd just have Ratchet falling towards a portal for 45 seconds instead of 1.

Think you’ve misunderstood the post, he’s saying that MS have skipped the first year (e.g barely any games) but it means their next gen only games should hit before Santa Monica’s, Polyphony’s and Guerrilla’s next gen only games.

LOL. He surely meant for Xbox first year and for some reason MS skipped it. That's false. Otherwise he wouldn't say skipped. Fable, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Starfield wasn't planned for 1st year at all. Except Starfield ( and Forza ), the rest of the pack are still far away. And also he DELIBERATELY ignored PS5 only games. Ratchet will launch next week.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

I'm well aware that there is a pandemic but don't you think it is the least bit possible that they made the financial decision to put the game on ps4 because of the large number of owners and used the pandemic as an excuse to push back the game so they could officially do so. These games were suppose to be released this year so debugging and optimization should have been predominantly done last year. You get the ps5 selling out and you get to sell games on the ps4 a win , win. I'm not faulting them for putting the game on ps4. It makes a lot of sense. They should have have been clear and announced that these games were coming to both platforms at the start. We would have a lot less drama if they had done so.

Obviously they're releasing it on PS4 for the money. Most businesses have lost money in this pandemic, and Sony was obviously impacted as well. They're doing this to offset the losses.

This is why they have been very particular about what titles are exclusive to PS5, i.e. the smaller franchises and emerging IPs like Demon's Soul / Returnal / Ratchet / Destruction Allstars, and what titles are cross-gen, i.e. big established cash cow franchises like Ragnarok / GT7 / HFW.

Sony had high sales projections for PS5 in FY2021 that they aren't going to meet due to the semiconductor shortage. They need the money.

And about the drama, these are non-issues at the end of the day. These games will still be good and people will still buy them. People acting like if the knew these titles were cross gen, they would've reconsidered their purchase are just capping.

Shmunter

I was actually getting into this guys mellow delivery, but then he put out this ignorant disinformation…..”games are designed for the most powerful system and scaled to the lower platform, nothing to see here”…..paraphrasing, oh dear!

NXGamer NXGamer maybe have a quick word with your mate….

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I'll be the first to laugh at Jim Ryan's "generations" shit, but what does cross-gen have to do with this? You people have short fucking memories. What about the "dream E3" (FF7, Shenmue, Dog Boy) that took fucking AGES to actually materialise?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Way less actually, especially considering these transmigrations happen at fixed locations so it'd be possible to preload a bunch of stuff before even entering the portal. Considering this and other stuff like downgraded assets i would bet 5-10 seconds.

Last edited:

NahaNago

df2194fd5e3df54b35dff3b540daefc7_w200.gif
FANBOY DETECTED
df2194fd5e3df54b35dff3b540daefc7_w200.gif

I knew it. Won't engage with fanboys. Good luck in your future endeavours.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm a jrpg fanboy at best and jrpgs tend to be mostly on playstation. So what Sony games were bad last gen or straight up didn't impress ( saying Knack is cheating).

edit: I'm still shocked I got called a playstation fanboy. The first time I ever experienced uncharted, last of us, killzone, and infamous was on the ps4 and I only liked infamous out of the bunch. Still haven't really played a god of war game.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Way less actually, especially considering these transmigrations happen at fixed locations so it'd be possible to preload a bunch of stuff before even entering the portal.

The point is, the portal screen is really no different than passing through a confined space in Uncharted or God of War. It's just another form of a loading screen (even if it's just 1 second on the PS5).

Way less actually, especially considering these transmigrations happen at fixed locations so it'd be possible to preload a bunch of stuff before even entering the portal. Considering everything i would bet 5-10 seconds

They need to store both the current levels assets and the next levels assets. Not possible

Wrong. Gangbusters compared to what? Post some links. Plus it was a discounted title. Why is that?

You're wrong. Do some research instead telling nonsense :

Ratchet & Clank had the best launch of any game in the Ratchet & Clank franchise when adjusting for the number of days sold in the data month, with sales recapturing success not seen for the franchise since the height of the PlayStation 2 era,” said Callahan.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Again, because games like Ratchet and Returnal are made to advertise the PS5. You can't advertise the PS5 and make all those slogans of "SSD PAWA!" if the game also comes out on the ps4.
God of war and Horizon are franchises they want to sell and reach as much people as possible, so all that PR can go out of the window for all they care.

Ah, so you're saying some games have been developed to make full use of the Ps5's capabilities, and some definitely haven't?

And if Ratchet and Returnal were made to showcase the SSD, doesn't that mean they couldn't have been made for the Ps4?

Or are you trying to claim that they could easily have come out on Ps4, but Sony decided to deliberately lose out on all that lovely money? The same lovely money they are happy to claw in from cross gen games like God Of War?

Last edited:

Excess

After all these years, I learned my lesson from the Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, PS3 and Xbox One. Console manufacturer's marketing departments are divorced from their engineering teams: They will sell you up the fucking river either because they can make more money or can't make enough.

ManaByte

And if Ratchet and Returnal were made to showcase the SSD, doesn't that mean they couldn't have been made for the Ps4?

Miles was meant to showcase the SSD (with the instant traversal between internal and external maps), yet they still managed a PS4 version.

The point is, the portal screen is really no different than passing through a confined space in Uncharted or God of War. It's just another form of a loading screen (even if it's just 1 second on the PS5).

Having intervaled 40 second loading times for boss fights is just daft

Last edited:

EDMIX

Maybe, maybe not.

I don't work for Insomniac and clearly you don't either. We don't know just how much that stuff is in the game ,for all we know the meat of that game deeply relies on that. It may not be some thing where you just go into a level and start doing that level for a few hours....it might be a thing where you are going back and forth many, many times.

So if they where able to do cross gen with Spiderman, I feel if they COULD, they would have had some plan on how that would work for Ratchet, the fact that they don't tells me what ever it is they have, is used often enough that it might not work correctly on PS4.

FunkMiller

Miles was meant to showcase the SSD (with the instant traversal between internal and external maps), yet they still managed a PS4 version.

True, but the SSD is just one aspect of the Ps5's advantages over the Ps4. I've mentioned several other earlier in this increasingly silly thread. And Miles didn't fully take advantage of it either. Things loaded faster, but they were still assets designed around the Ps4 with nicer textures etc. I expect Ratchet to be a better showcase of its speed.

The fact of the matter is that Insomniac developed Ratchet for the Ps5, therefore it's only out on Ps5. Sony Santa Monica developed God Of War Ragnarok for Ps4 and Ps5, hence it coming out on both. I fully expect that Ratchet will feature game elements that are more advanced than in God Of War Ragnarok, because that's a logical conclusion to reach. We'll see when comparisons get made.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Obviously they're releasing it on PS4 for the money. Most businesses have lost money in this pandemic, and Sony was obviously impacted as well. They're doing this to offset the losses.

This is why they have been very particular about what titles are exclusive to PS5, i.e. the smaller franchises and emerging IPs like Demon's Soul / Returnal / Ratchet / Destruction Allstars, and what titles are cross-gen, i.e. big established cash cow franchises like Ragnarok / GT7 / HFW.

Sony had high sales projections for PS5 in FY2021 that they aren't going to meet due to the semiconductor shortage. They need the money.

And about the drama, these are non-issues at the end of the day. These games will still be good and people will still buy them. People acting like if the knew these titles were cross gen, they would've reconsidered their purchase are just capping.
I thought folks were playing and buying more games than ever during the pandemic.

Interesting view on what gets to be exclusive. Ratchet is a weird game to release at the start of the console generation since it is more of a family friendly game so you would think they would sell it later when the price had reduced and more families decided they want to buy a ps5 for Christmas. I think it is more when they got released rather than it being smaller franchises. They pretty much have given gt and god of war an almost extra 2 years to put the game/optimize for ps4 and horizon got probably an extra 6 months at least to port the game if they hadn't already planned for it.

The pandemic started in 2020 they should have adjusted sales projections along time ago. They want more money.

I agree that folks still would have bought the games. God of war is still god of war just like gran turismo and horizon are still going to be great games most likely. It is still a what would have been scenario if they had been exclusive to ps5. The generations talk is what is mostly messing up the discussion and then the 60 fps nonsense.

Banjo64

cumsessed
LOL. He surely meant for Xbox first year and for some reason MS skipped it. That's false. Otherwise he wouldn't say skipped. Fable, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Starfield wasn't planned for 1st year at all. Except Starfield ( and Forza ), the rest of the pack are still far away. And also he DELIBERATELY ignored PS5 only games. Ratchet will launch next week.
Chill man, I’m just explaining what he said.

NewChoppa

Banned
So, just when PS6 will launch. Then maybe these titles will be a cross-gen PS5/PS6. And you surely would whine again. But, but, why these games aren't PS6 only titles. :/ What you said is nonsense. ND released 3 games last-gen. Suddenly we will MAYBE 1 title from them. Guerilla released 4 titles last-gen, now maybe it would be 2 this gen.

I mean, the crossgen period between the PS5 and PS6 would probably be much less reason for concern. By then everyone will be making games dedicated to the powerful CPU/GPU and the super fast SSD, so surely at that point it’s just a scalability thing, right?

Mabdia

Well... since I love GT but can't care about PS5, to me it is good news.

And... you don't need to worry. Sony might put someone to port it to PC and everyone will be happy.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope in 3 year Sony joins the dark side… day 1 pc ports.

testing the waters now, get a nibble on that user base…

Mister Wolf

You're wrong. Do some research instead telling nonsense :

Record sales for its series doesn't mean shit. Like I said compared to what? Horizon, GOW, Gran Turismo? Its not on their level. R&C Remake was a 40 dollar title. You think that didn't help it? Selling for less money than the original PS2 game.

Last edited:
Record sales for its series doesn't mean shit. Like I said compared to what? Horizon, GOW, Gran Turismo? Its not on their level. R&C Remake was a 40 dollar title. You think that didn't help it? Selling for less money than the original PS2 game.

It does mean. Back then Ratchet was 50$ during PS2 era. First Ratchet sold almost 4 million copies. So, Ratchet Reboot sold gangbusters and best selling in the series. No need to spin it otherwise.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Oh. My. God.

I'm so tired of the graphics whining. It doesn't bloody matter. Games are already gorgeous. Fucking grow up.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm also explained what he said.
Yeah, but your pulling it out of your arse. It’s written in plain English and you’re like ‘he SURELY meant this’ and ‘DELIBERATELY’ that, just go beat your meat or something and calm your tits.

Last edited:
I mean, the crossgen period between the PS5 and PS6 would probably be much less reason for concern. By then everyone will be making games dedicated to the powerful CPU/GPU and the super fast SSD, so surely at that point it’s just a scalability thing, right?

To think that biggest Sony's studios will release just one game per this gen is hilarious. And SlimySnake surely pointed that out.

nbkicker

I wonder what price sony gonna put on theses multiplatform games is the ps5 gonna be like retnual £70-£80 and the ps4 version £50-£60

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The theory that cross-gen games "Hold back" next gen versions is only true for crap/lazy devs.

I'm pretty sure AAA devs aim for the more powerful first, and then chop down for the weaker version.
I’m sorry but this is ignorant.
A poster above explained it pretty clearly, but the fact is you simply can’t design the game with the same freedom in terms of gameplay.
The enemy count was a great example. Developers may be able to squeeze 40 enemies on screen and let the player engage in massive battles on PS5, but that simply won’t be possible on PS4. And it’s not a matter of just scaling it down to have less enemies on screen in the PS4 version, because that effects gameplay balance.

just one example.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What's the problem? How poster could even possibly know that MS deliberately skipped to release Fable, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Hellblade 2 in Xbox first year?? That's bollocks.
The problem is your reading comprehension but I don’t think you’re a native English speaker, so whatever. I was legit just trying to help you.

nbkicker

I’m sorry but this is ignorant.
A poster above explained it pretty clearly, but the fact is you simply can’t design the game with the same freedom in terms of gameplay.
The enemy count was a great example. Developers may be able to squeeze 40 enemies on screen and let the player engage in massive battles on PS5, but that simply won’t be possible on PS4. And it’s not a matter of just scaling it down to have less enemies on screen in the PS4 version, because that effects gameplay balance.

just one example.
Its more laughable now when they first showed the ps5 and all the developers in the presentation where saying how great it was that they where no longer held back by past tech and could boost graphics, number of npc and ai etc, i wonder after they said that did sony rep step in to them and say oh we forgot to say could u also carry on making the game work for ps4 , the developers prob be like 😭😭😭

The problem is your reading comprehension but I don’t think you’re a native English speaker, so whatever. I was legit just trying to help you.I'm not a native english speaker,

I'm not an english native speaker and i've mentioned that few times.

What's even more crazy is that MS is primed to be the one to release the truly next-gen only games. Maybe it was smart of MS to skip out the first year

Skip first year with which games, hm? Neither of those games which i've mentioned were not NEARLY ready for release this year for Xbox. And you know it. And also he ignored PS5 only games too.

Zeroing

Banned
the way I see this,
First time where PS4 and PS5 are in the same architecture and backwards compatible.
this also means not leaving behind the users from PS4. If they forced everyone to upgrade, people would still complain about it.

Yeah makes sense financially to have cross gen games. Studios don’t run only by fans good will, money is also needed.

New IPs are definitely going to be PS5 only. We already seeing that.

PS5 is supply constrained.

Top Bottom