• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best move by Microsoft and Sony has been...

Gamerguy84

Always fun to see a new user base discuss a game I enjoyed. I'm on r/days gone and love it when PC guys come in saying OMG this game is great.

If the sales are there it works out for everyone involved so win win.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Games look the same as on PC and now run at 60 fps but you paid $500, not $2000, plus you get every AAA game day 1, which will never happen on PC.

I'd say the waste of money is paying for a high end GPU these days, especially with diminishing returns and skyrocketting GPU prices

93f.jpg

I don't hate you Rivet, I love you :pie_kfwse:

kingfey

Banned
There’s other reasons for owning consoles, and PCs are weird I don’t trust their motherboards, really flimsy gpus, windows single handly failing etc. consoles dominate sale charts for a reason. It’s absurd how good Sony is at building a pure gaming machine.
Cucumber Mic Drop GIF by Awkwafina
Meh, Consoles dont have alot to offer. The only thing they have, is the kids who grow up with.

And no, Sony doesnt build good gaming machines. That is Nintendo. Come to me, when Sony has portable ps5 console.

OZ9000

Banned
There’s other reasons for owning consoles, and PCs are weird I don’t trust their motherboards, really flimsy gpus, windows single handly failing etc. consoles dominate sale charts for a reason. It’s absurd how good Sony is at building a pure gaming machine.
No more likely than a PS5 or Xbox to break down.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

I can now play the heavy hitters from each respective console (eg Halo Infinite, God of War) without having to pay for a console

This is also good for console gamers! More money for Sony studios = probably more games for us in the future. And after 2-3 years you can play too :) Win-win.

Second thing - it can go both ways. I was a PC gamer for a long time, but right now PC price parts are just not worth it. I bought PS5 for retail price - how much for a PC that is going to run GoW 5 like PS5?

It really doesn’t make much of a difference anymore. It’s all x86 so the concept of an “exclusive” is mostly synthetic and artificial at this point. I keep hearing about these “amazing” Sony exclusives as if there’s some magic going on. You can get the same effect by just optimizing for DirectX 12 or Metal or Vulcan or whatever. And it’s impossible to ignore now since Sony games are released on PC and it’s no big thrill to play them.

Holammer

The beauty of PCs are you can CHOOSE how you want them to be.

This is how my PC looks like:
Define-R6-BKO_22-1-1200x1200.jpg
My previous and current computer have Fractal Design, same for my next build.
I'll try to get a white door cuz it looks pretty chic in Animal Crossing. Closest Nintendo will get to PC gaming, for now.

LNwHTQe.jpg

Cornbread78

Well, I guess this is a creative way to skirt the rules to passive-aggressively console war.

Bravo OP, you win today!

I don't disagree completely, however, comfy couch console user for life here

*Kisses his Switch, SeX & PS5*

Kokoloko85

Complains about paying for a console. But pays probably double the price to get a decent PC to play a few console games lol….

Id rather have the games Nintendo and Playstation make right away instead of waiting or if ever getting those games.

Best thing Xbox did was Gamespass. Without it they would probably be gone by now. Backwards Compatibility, buying Bethesda and Gamepass has kept them alive and well, without it, Id think they would probably be dead by now.

Best thing Playstation done? Well this gen Im waiting to see the quantity of quality AAA games they produce along with multiplayer games. Last gen the best thing they done was their games library. This gen, still waiting for either company to do something

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
but PC's play every game better have 10 times (or more) the games library of any console ...are future proof and also have more use than every console your comparation it does not make sense.

What a rediculous statement, what's the average gpu being used according to steam, a 1060? Remind me again how much better that plays games than a ps5 or xbox X.

And a pc may be easier to upgrade when you want, but technically it's not more "future proof", especially with mid gen console refreshes, you just go out and buy the new console to upgrade instead of a new gpu. (And easily sell old console to recoup some of the cost too)

I can also tell you how easy it has been to upgrade my pc with a better graphics card at a decent price lately.........oh wait.....

Also the idea that ps+ and or xbox live gold is of zero value vs pc online is wrong, the free monthly games easily make up the cost for most people who play a lot of games.

I have an xbox series X, ps5, switch, and a pc with a 3060, each has thier place.

Last edited:

Rivet

Yup, unchaining the games from that awful 30FPS lock is indeed the best move they pulled out.

Putting games on PC doesn't unlock 60 fps since nearly every game is already 60 fps or has a 60 fps mode on consoles these days. Next gen already unlocked that.

GoW runs at locked 60 fps on PS5, it's a PS4 game in BC mode with a small patch unlocking framerate.

But it's great people can now play it on PC too.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Complains about paying for a console. But pays probably double the price to get a decent PC to play a few console games lol….

Id rather have the games Nintendo and Playstation make right away instead of waiting or if ever getting those games.

Best thing Xbox did was Gamespass. Without it they would probably be gone by now. Backwards Compatibility, buying Bethesda and Gamepass has kept them alive and well, without it, Id think they would probably be dead by now.

Best thing Playstation done? Well this gen Im waiting to see the quantity of quality AAA games they produce along with multiplayer games. Last gen the best thing they done was their games library. This gen, still waiting for either company to do something
Over 4 years, a PC + games would cost less than a PS5/Xbox + Online Subscription + Overpriced games (£70 per title, you gotta be kidding me)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Putting games on PC doesn't unlock 60 fps since nearly every game is already 60 fps or has a 60 fps mode on consoles these days. Next gen already unlocked that.

GoW runs at locked 60 fps on PS5, it's a PS4 game in BC mode with a small patch unlocking framerate.

But it's great people can now play it on PC too.
Framerates can go higher than 60, which specially nice on FPSs or fast paced games with lots of camera movement.

I'm also gonna pull out my crystal ball and tell you that I really, really doubt that we'll be getting 60fps on consoles across all the generation. Wait a few years when games start to look much better than now and devs start to make compromises to be able to offer better and better graphics.

Of course that's just what my crystal ball is telling me, could be wrong but honestly that's what I think.

DaGwaphics

Over 4 years, a PC + games would cost less than a PS5/Xbox + Online Subscription + Overpriced games (£70 per title, you gotta be kidding me)

You won't save much on games on PC if you need day one access. People like to use that as a talking point for PC, but if you are willing to wait for steep discounts and the bargain bin you can do that just as easily on console (maybe even easier with disks).

PC is the best way to play if you are willing to pay, but consoles just work and are cheaper. That alone is enough to keep me on console as long they remain an option. You can buy an XSX and a PS5 for $900 (or a XSS and PS5 or $700) and have access to all the games, plus you've still spent less for two complete systems than you would have for a middle rung PC GPU that will probably struggle (worse than the consoles will) before the end of the generation.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
...releasing their exclusive games on the PC.

No longer I am shackled to purchasing a console, and I'm far more happier for it. I am glad both companies have embraced PC gaming, especially Sony - not once I expected their AAA titles to hit the PC; especially a game like God of War.

I can now play the heavy hitters from each respective console (eg Halo Infinite, God of War) without having to pay for a console and the stupid online subscription fees associated with it!
I feel the same, but I already bought a PS5. If the games start coming out faster I will get rid of it. I have PCs hooked up to 2 of the 3 TVs in the house. Switching inputs to play a game on a dusty console is almost as annoying as remembering that I paid 500 bucks to have to do that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You won't save much on games on PC if you need day one access. People like to use that as a talking point for PC, but if you are willing to wait for steep discounts and the bargain bin you can do that just as easily on console (maybe even easier with disks).
Never heard of keys sites, uh? Take GoW for example, day 1 it costs 50€ but you can get it for lile 35€ on other sites, and this happens with every major release.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

FUN FACT.
Even if you include online subscription service fees, its still cheaper than building a gaming PC.
That assumes you won't need a PC for anything else. If you need one in the first place then it does end up being cheaper than a console + non-gaming computer

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Games look the same as on PC and now run at 60 fps but you paid $500, not $2000, plus you get every AAA game day 1, which will never happen on PC.

I'd say the waste of money is paying for a high end GPU these days, especially with diminishing returns and skyrocketting GPU prices
But the pc version looks considerably better than the ps5 version, just watch the digital foundry.

DLSS is literally a game changer for this game if you have a gpu that supports it. I can’t get over how bad checker-boarding deteriorates the image.

Duchess

I actually decided that the PS5 will be my last console. Not sure why, maybe just because I'm getting older. I sort of feel I'm done with console gaming now, and will be content to be playing stuff on my laptop in 6-7 years time (will be 50+ by then).

tmlDan

but PC's play every game better have 10 times (or more) the games library of any console ...are future proof and also have more use than every console your comparation it does not make sense.
i have a high end rig, but it does not play it better enough to justify the cost at ALL - and they is becoming even more apparent with next gen consoles and when those exclusive next gen games come out you're gonna be eating your shoe that you have a $3000 rig that plays the same as a PS5/Series X with a slightly higher framerate

kingfey

Banned

A ps5 +60$(4) online+70$ games=880$+70$ games for digital one, or 980$+70$ games. That is what PlayStation console cost in 8 years.

This pc gpu have the same function as ps5 gpu. different is, you dont pay 70$ for games, and 60$ to pay for online. And you get tons of games on the pc market, that doesnt come to ps5.

In the long run, you save alot of money with that pc, unlike your ps5, which gets expensive overtime.

I bought god of war for 40$, instead of the 50$ on steam. I bought HZD for 17$, and its still 50$ on steam now.

Nah, that is false. They have IPs. All they lacked was the studios. Which they bought them. Without bethesda and gamepass, they can still survive. They survived xbox one. They can pretty much survive anything else. Hell, most of their upcoming games, are their own studios. And i can only see 3 bethesda/zenimax games. Redfall, starfield, and elder scrolls 6 that are announced. They still have avowed, hellblade 2, fable, perfect dark, and state of decay 3. Their other studios dont have anything announced as of now.

kingfey

Banned
i have a high end rig, but it does not play it better enough to justify the cost at ALL - and they is becoming even more apparent with next gen consoles and when those exclusive next gen games come out you're gonna be eating your shoe that you have a $3000 rig that plays the same as a PS5/Series X with a slightly higher framerate
"The PS5 GPU is equivalent to an RTX 2060 or 2070, but it is nowhere near as powerful as the RTX 3070. The gpus of that generation will always surpass whats in a console, and thats a fact." from the internet.

That is cheap. not $3k like you are justifying.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The one thing I can guarantee (outside of that PC being embarrassingly overpriced for what it is) is that the example PC will be chocking on games very badly by even the mid point of the generation. PC just doesn't get the optimization that consoles get (why you'd never find a PC with a Radeon 7850 that can run something in the ballpark of TLoU2 in regards to PS4 or a system with a 7790 running Gears 5). These GPUs out today that look like they can match the consoles will not continue to do that in a credible way. The 1060 was the first budget card to really hold through the generation at a level higher than the consoles and it released some years after them.

tmlDan

"The PS5 GPU is equivalent to an RTX 2060 or 2070, but it is nowhere near as powerful as the RTX 3070. The gpus of that generation will always surpass whats in a console, and thats a fact." from the internet.

That is cheap. not $3k like you are justifying.
And there's always an optimization difference.

Stuttering and FPS issues on PC is more prevalent and common, you're comparing a lot of games optimized for last gen not current gen when saying it compares to a 2070 etc.

We have yet to get a game that is optimized for a next gen console only on PC's, i wouldn't be surprised if you need a stronger rig than that.

kingfey

Banned
And there's always an optimization difference.

Stuttering and FPS issues on PC is more prevalent and common, you're comparing a lot of games optimized for last gen not current gen when saying it compares to a 2070 etc.

We have yet to get a game that is optimized for a next gen console only on PC's, i wouldn't be surprised if you need a stronger rig than that.
That is shit lazy developers. They dont care about pc ports. They are fucking lazy.

kingfey

Banned
The one thing I can guarantee (outside of that PC being embarrassingly overpriced for what it is) is that the example PC will be chocking on games very badly by even the mid point of the generation. PC just doesn't get the optimization that consoles get (why you'd never find a PC with a Radeon 7850 that can run something in the ballpark of TLoU2 in regards to PS4 or a system with a 7790 running Gears 5). These GPUs out today that look like they can match the consoles will not continue to do that in a credible way. The 1060 was the first budget card to really hold through the generation at a level higher than the consoles and it released some years after them.
The last of us 2 is in house studios, specialized on that console. Let that game on every console, and I guarantee you, you will tons of shit issues at launch.

Consoles get special treatment. No way gt1060 can get shit performance, compared to OG xbox one or the ps4. The devs like to solid performance for these consoles.

You saw what state, was ff7r. Horizon zero down? Halo mcc?

We always get fucked, by shitty developer tactics.

DaGwaphics

The last of us 2 is in house studios, specialized on that console. Let that game on every console, and I guarantee you, you will tons of shit issues at launch.

Consoles get special treatment. No way gt1060 can get shit performance, compared to OG xbox one or the ps4. The devs like to solid performance for these consoles.

You saw what state, was ff7r. Horizon zero down? Halo mcc?

We always get fucked, by shitty developer tactics.

The 1060 can hold up with the last-gen consoles, that's what I'm saying, but it released years after them. The PC GPUs available at or near the launch of the consoles never hold up, only the very top of the GTX 900 series (really just the 980/980ti held as even the 970 struggles badly in later titles released last-gen). But the 960 and 750ti that looked like equivalents during the cross-gen phase of last gen did not hold up, I'm sure the 2060/2070 will be in a similar spot in the near future.

kingfey

Banned
The 1060 can hold up with the last-gen consoles, that's what I'm saying, but it released years after them. The PC GPUs available at or near the launch of the consoles never hold up, only the very top of the GTX 900 series (really just the 980/980ti held as even the 970 struggles badly in later titles released last-gen). But the 960 and 750ti that looked like equivalents during the cross-gen phase of last gen did not hold up, I'm sure the 2060/2070 will be in a similar spot in the near future.
It will. I am currently struggling with my rtx 570 now.

Honestly, I don't know why these devs cant do a proper pc release. Most of the stuff we get, is over the top, compared to consoles.

Yes, I agree. I enjoy several Sony titles and even bought myself a PS4 pro to play them. But I'm just not intersted enough in the system to keep using it. So I sold it last year. Being able to play their games on PC is great. Plus they still get to make money from fans like me. Everyone wins.

Top Bottom