• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best move by Microsoft and Sony has been...

OZ9000

Banned
...releasing their exclusive games on the PC.

No longer I am shackled to purchasing a console, and I'm far more happier for it. I am glad both companies have embraced PC gaming, especially Sony - not once I expected their AAA titles to hit the PC; especially a game like God of War.

I can now play the heavy hitters from each respective console (eg Halo Infinite, God of War) without having to pay for a console and the stupid online subscription fees associated with it!

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I can see why we have exclusivity but it really needs to go away.

Having said that, the Playstation games that have been released on PC are still marginal and you actually make it sound like you can play every Sony game on PC. There is still a long way to go here to say: "Sony is embracing the PC market".

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I was going to ship wagon this gen and go PC but for the price of a good GPU, I bought an Xbox Series X a PS5 and a bunch of games and even with that I saved money.....
The PS5 would be more enticing to me if the design didn't look as atrocious and if playing multiplayer did not cost money. Furthermore, the games themselves are extortionate.

PC gaming is more expensive (hardware wise) but software is cheaper. I've gotten so many games on Steam for very cheap prices.

MonarchJT

Banned
As PS5/XBS/PC lines becoming more and more blurry, what is the point of having/buying PS5 or XBS console at this point? ....PC will always have the most superior version, and probably cheaper too, though you prolly have to wait 1-2 years
ease of use, cost, not having to deal with an operating system not created solely for gaming. This is and should always have been the only real reason to buy consoles. The fact that manufacturers have used the lock pick of exclusivity to break down the door of our hearts and make us give in doesn't mean it's the best option. The best of the options, in fact, it is precisely to HAVE options and to be able to decide on which device to play your game. I also bet that the day when Sony will also give in to the day one release of its games on PC is just around the corner ... given the enormous success that the releases of the latest games are seeing.....there is too much too much money on the table and millions of players (many more than the best and most successful of console generation will ever see) who will never buy a PS5 no matter what to give up. And before we start again on this, it's not the same thing to release a game on day one and sell it for less two years later for countless reasons when then possibly the game has been destroyed by bad reviews bad word of mouth etc etc or simply after the hype is over. We have so far seen the release of the most famous and successful games on PC but there are games that would bring huge gains to day one but that would sell much less if released 2 years later.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
FUN FACT.
Even if you include online subscription service fees, its still cheaper than building a gaming PC.

If you can spend that much money on a gaming PC, dont whine when you just need to pay 5 dollar per month for the online subscription fees....

And the above is assuming you bought the PS Plus in full price without discount lol

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
FUN FACT.
Even if you include online subscription service fees, its still cheaper than building a gaming PC.

If you can spend that much money on a gaming PC, dont whine when you just need to pay 5 dollar per month for the online subscription fees....

And the above is assuming you bought the PS Plus in full price lol
but PC's play every game better have 10 times (or more) the games library of any console ...are future proof and also have more use than every console your comparation it does not make sense.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
ease of use, cost, not having to deal with an operating system not created solely for gaming. This is and should always have been the only real reason to buy consoles.

You forgot one important point, imho:

Hardware optimization.

As long as a dev team only has one target platform with fixed specs, they can squeeze more out of it. They take time to try to optimize as much as possible, creating engines dedicated around that hardware's particular strength and with workarounds to lessen that hardware's particular weaknesses.

The moment you add another platform, you create restraints. You need either more people or more time. You need an engine able to adapt to that other platform, which might have drawbacks to a dedicated engine.

lh032

but PC's play every game better have 10 times (or more) the games library of any console ...are future proof and also have more use than every console your comparation it does not make sense.
well it depends on how much you spend on a gaming PC, its not cheap, so of course its supposed to be future proof.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
You forgot one important point, imho:

Hardware optimization.

As long as a dev team only has one target platform with fixed specs, they can squeeze more out of it. They take time to try to optimize as much as possible, creating engines dedicated around that hardware's particular strength and with workarounds to lessen that hardware's particular weaknesses.

The moment you add another platform, you create restraints. You need either more people or more time. You need an engine able to adapt to that other platform, which might have drawbacks to a dedicated engine.
honestly this is nowdays just a legend of the past. The result of God of war .... horizon ... forza, Flight sim...and every other game they showed us how a PC can push the same game at higher resolution with more fps and with better effects. The consoles are now weakened PCs and have among other things the same CPU and GPU practically .... certainly the developers will never spend years optimizing the game for 10 types of PCs with different powers ... imagine if they do it for the hundreds (or more) of possible combinations, and it is for this reason that the developers in their PC games give dozens of options to modify the graphic detail, the res, or the GFX so the end user "optimizes" the game himself.

Rivet

But most of those games can be played with an old PC. I use a 1070 PC on top of my PS5. 1070 for all those old PC games. PS5 for everything else. Perfect combo.

Last edited:
ease of use, cost, not having to deal with an operating system not created solely for gaming. This is and should always have been the only real reason to buy consoles. The fact that manufacturers have used the lock pick of exclusivity to break down the door of our hearts and make us give in doesn't mean it's the best option. The best of the options, in fact, it is precisely to HAVE options and to be able to decide on which device to play your game. I also bet that the day when Sony will also give in to the day one release of its games on PC is just around the corner ... given the enormous success that the releases of the latest games are seeing.....there is too much too much money on the table and millions of players (many more than the best and most successful of console generation will ever see) who will never buy a PS5 no matter what to give up. And before we start again on this, it's not the same thing to release a game on day one and sell it for less two years later for countless reasons when then possibly the game has been destroyed by bad reviews bad word of mouth etc etc or simply after the hype is over. We have so far seen the release of the most famous and successful games on PC but there are games that would bring huge gains to day one but that would sell much less if released 2 years later.

not worth it, imo

right now, it's pretty clear, moving forward you'd only need PC and Nintendo systems

Rivet

so true. very little reason to buy consoles. i don't care if it means waiting a bit longer. why would i want to buy a PS5 if games are gonna eventually come to PC? buying a PS5 would be a waste of money.

Games look the same as on PC and now run at 60 fps but you paid $500, not $2000, plus you get every AAA game day 1, which will never happen on PC.

I'd say the waste of money is paying for a high end GPU these days, especially with diminishing returns and skyrocketting GPU prices

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
But most of those games can be played with an old PC. I use a 1070 PC on top of my PS5. 1070 for all those old PC games. PS5 for everything else. Perfect combo.
i have a good PC that is more powerful than my xsx ...but i just use it for work. There are people who really prefer the ease of use of a console while conceding something on the performance and graphic quality. Certainly I personally care about that too I would never buy an XSS for myself, although I understand the huge success it is not the console for me. Options, guys .. the options of choice ..

lh032

DLSS is a game changer. This makes PC gaming more viable without having to upgrade every gen.
feature doesnt apply to every single game though.

and lets be honest, most PCMR is going to upgrade their PC every few years regardless of how well their game runs anyway

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
As PS5/XBS/PC lines becoming more and more blurry, what is the point of having/buying PS5 or XBS console at this point? ....PC will always have the most superior version, and probably cheaper too, though you prolly have to wait 1-2 years
1-2 years is too long for me to wait for Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Bend, Insomniac's games and the others

I also can't see myself trying to dodge spoilers for that long

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
consoles are here to stay...............forever
I Love You GIF by Big Brother Australia

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
absolutely next gen (with some test late this gen);everything will be on PC on launch day ...you can count on it
Don't get me wrong i want the exclusivity to go away but what you predict just wont happen. Maybe for Microsoft but not for Nintendo or Sony. And while there is some indication that Sony is opening up on that front a bit this would mean a complete 180° in a console generation against everything they did for decades. You will see more Playstation games on PC for sure but to think that by the end of the generation you will get day one releases for every major Playstation exclusive on PC is just wishfull thinking.

Beechos

I personally prefer the convience of consoles myself where i can kick back play on the couch and yes i know i can connect my pc/laptop to my tv buts its just not the same. I'm lucky im in a point of my life where i can afford my gaming habit and have all the consoles and a gaming pc. Here my take

Xbox - my preferred platform everything just works. I dont have to worry about anything after initial setup. Cloud saves, smart delivery, legacy peripherals, backwards compat, resume my games on xcloud no setup, no configuration, no system test after a system crash, no choosing what version of game to play needed. Zero frustration. Besides forza horizon their 1st party output has been trash to say the least, im also not fond of their cartoony/avatar looking character designs/art styles in alot of their games but i guess this is how you hit those performance marks like 60/120 fps. This like alot of people is my main/3rd party machine.

Playstation - Their 1st party games are like events to me cant wait until the next one comes out. Dualsense features are a nice evolution of the controller whether they are used or not. All controllers should have the new haptics, rumble along with gyro. Embraced vr they're my only hope of vr becoming mainstream with aaa experienes unless nintendo starts making vr games. The ps is my exclusives machine.

Pc - ive been gaming on pc since the og windos/dos days. I love the freedom and the amount of tinkering that can be done, not so much now that im older lol. Passionate community that will support games with mods/fixes better than developers themselves. No censorship or at least i dont there is lol you want a adults only game this prob the only place to find one. Mouse/keyboard and rts games. Pc is still the only place for rts games along with kb/m support. Just like trying to play pc on a tv doesnt feel right the same can be said of using a kb/m on a console. Right now pc is my rts machine, ocassional vr to quest 2. Its sad i have a 3070 and my son uses the pc as his fortnite/roblox machine. Oh and too many damn launchers i love the freedom and choice but it comes with a price.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yeah, it's good. However I decided long ago (2014) that I would be a console gamer.

I'm not a big fan of the PC vs. Console comparisons, both offer different features and experiences which appeal to different user bases and this is something people fail to take into account.

I'm a console gamer and for me the important factors are ease of use and cost. With consoles it's simply a matter of plug in and play and there is no no fiddling around with settings to get the right performance as is the case with PC. Thanks to the uplift in performance on the next-gen console I've been able to enjoy most of my favourite games in 60 FPS, hell even Spider-man managed to pull off 60 FPS with RT enabled, something which would have been considered laughable by some to achieve on the next-generation console hardware. To put it simply, I know what I'm getting with my console when I purchase a game.

Then there's also an issue of price, the PC market has become saturated with scalpers and miners and the cost of components especially GPU's has become extremely inflated, GPU's like the 3060 Ti retail for 399 and then get scalped and sold to miners for 800 dollars plus which is what a 3080 is supposed to retail at. I've witnessed this first hand and such prices don't make it viable for PC gamers considering what you get in return in terms of performance. On the other hand you have a PS5 or a Series X, a fully packaged system with CPU/GPU, RAM and storage all in one for 499. This is one of many things that put me off PC gaming. Sure consoles have suffered from scalpers too but no where near as bad as what has happened in the discrete GPU market.

kingfey

Banned
Yes, but for games like God of War or The Last of Us 2 or any of the major Sony exclusives of the past years, you don't need it, as they don't have any online component.
you kind need it for savings. The ps4/ps5 saving system is wacky.

ACESHIGH

Banned
A.M.E.N

But I expect more, they should double down on their efforts. Specially Sony that's really late to the party.

There are a handful of MS games from before the play anywhere initiative took place that aren't on PC yet.

Rare replay
Halo 5
Killer instinct 1 and 2 were included on Xbox one but not on the PC release of the latest KI

Also MS should find a way to let PC gamers at least purchase emulated copies of 360 and OG Xbox games. We go from gears to gears 4 and 5. Just release a Marcus Fenix collection on PC same as the MCC

About Sony... Just ramp up the pace of your ports. One per quarter at least. Add some variety. How about some Japanese stuff, like Bloodborne, SOTC, or last guardian.

Also remember your legacy before the ps4. All those neat HD collections of PS2 games released on the PS3 era like Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and clank, sly Cooper.
We get uncharted 4 and 5 but not the first 3? No killzone or resistance trilogies? Infamous collection? Puppeteer? Vita games? Little big planet collection? Dreams, a PC game through and through was sent to die on consoles? Nonsense.

All being said I applaud these stubborn console giants to finally acknowledge that both markets can't coexist.

Consoles won't stop being a thing. There always will be less technically oriented people, kids or programmers with PTSD (Lots of these on Era and GAF) that enjoy the simplicity of a console and don't mind being tied to a walled garden

Last edited:
Top Bottom