• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best fan-made games based on existing IPs!

mcjmetroid

Any recommendations of good fan-made games of existing IPS.
Perferably finished ones if at all possible.
I have 2 I'd like to draw people's attention to:

Rayman Redemption:

If you enjoyed Rayman 1 for the PC/Saturn/Jaguar or PS1 then this is an excellent reimagining of the first Rayman game.
It's in widescreen and you have all of Rayman's powers from the beginning. I'm a little bit into it but I'm very impressed so far.
This one is available to download in the description of that video.
He's added new levels and new powerups as well.

Metroid II: AM2R

I'm sure a lot of people have heard of this one. This is the one that was pulled by Nintendo before the release of Samus Returns for the 3DS.
It's a little trickier to download but it can be done fairly easily.
Even though officially the project has been cancelled, fans on the reddit AM2R page have been keeping it going.
As you can see from the trailer above it's now in widescreen.

This is still the best fan-made game I've ever played.

If you're a fan of Metroid you absolutely owe yourself to try this one, it's arguably the best 2D Metroid game of all time.

Anybody else have suggestions like these?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

It was in development for 8 years with permission from Sega, but after release Sega changed their minds. It hasn’t done much to affect its availability.
It features every stage from 1-3 with new stages and areas mixed in, with branching paths to choose from. You can play as any character from 1-3 (including different versions), plus a few characters. They all have movesets adapted (1 versions have running and specials added, for example).

There’s a lot of replay value, and you can unlock things like mini games, palette customisation, and there’s also tools to make your own game included.

If you like classic SoR but you haven’t tried this, it’s worth your time.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

It was in development for 8 years with permission from Sega, but after release Aega changed their minds. It hasn’t done much to affect its availability.
It features every stage from 1-3 with new stages and areas mixed in, with branching paths to choose from. You can play as any character from 1-3 (including different versions), plus a few characters. They all have movesets adapted (1 versions have running and specials added, for example).

There’s a lot of replay value, and you can unlock things like mini games, palette customisation, and there’s also tools to make your own game included.

Oh yes I've played this one! I forgot about it, this one had plenty of customisation options and everything. Allowed you to choose what sprites you wanted to use and everything.
Good choice!

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Battle Moon Wars, getting on a bit old these days but essentially a fan made Super Robot Wars style game set in the Type-Moon Verse, so it's full of Fate (before it all went to shit with grand order) and Tsukihime as the main entries with Type-Moon other works also being included too.

It makes it really unique is its not trying to copy anything Type-Moon had made at that point and is essentially its own type of game.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Metroid 2 is trash in any form, but the can made game is superior to that trash that those hacks released as Samus Returns which has a nauseating art style and shitty shoe horned mechanics.

Kuranghi

Metroid 2 is trash in any form, but the can made game is superior to that trash that those hacks released as Samus Returns which has a nauseating art style and shitty shoe horned mechanics.

I'd love to see this as a quote in an accolades video:

"Metroid 2 is trash in any form, but the fan made game is superior to that trash that those hacks released as Samus Returns which has a nauseating art style and shitty shoe horned mechanics. My favourite Metroid in a LONG time!" - Jaysius

Metroid II: AM2R

Sorry I don't have any suggestions but wanted to say thanks for reminding me there was this update, widescreen support is awesome, might go back for another run soon, played it for the first time last year and it was so brilliant.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Endreal, a complete conversion of Skyrim. Nothing beats it.
I’ve heard about this many times, but I never got round to trying it. I had planned on installed LE and using that as the Enderal install, but I forgot about that idea until just now. Isn’t it a sequel to something else? Maybe I’m mixing it up with another fan game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wasn’t there a turtles in time fan remake?
You're probably thinking of this game, which definitely belongs in this thread:

Amazing fun arcade-style Turtles games with a massive roster and fun levels.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
This was just a tech demo, but it was made using one of these code-free engines from 10 years ago which makes it really impressive.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

It was in development for 8 years with permission from Sega, but after release Aega changed their minds. It hasn’t done much to affect its availability.

Love that one. I need to find it again.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Does Enderal count? I guess it's actually an original IP but still based on Skyrim so..

BRING ME A NICE, CRISP PIECE OF MEAT!!

• LOL
Reactions: GHG
I'm pretty sure the Melty Blood fighting game started as a fan-game sold at doujin conventions; since then they were acknowledged by the original authors of Tsukihime, but what they did by themselves was really impressive.

mcjmetroid

I'd love to see this as a quote in an accolades video:

"Metroid 2 is trash in any form, but the fan made game is superior to that trash that those hacks released as Samus Returns which has a nauseating art style and shitty shoe horned mechanics. My favourite Metroid in a LONG time!" - Jaysius

Sorry I don't have any suggestions but wanted to say thanks for reminding me there was this update, widescreen support is awesome, might go back for another run soon, played it for the first time last year and it was so brilliant.
It's amazing isn't it.

There are some great suggestions in this thread. I had no idea about the Skyrim one and I will certainly try the Portal one. Keep them coming.

GHG

Gold Member

One of the most psychotic introductions to any game ever.

mcjmetroid

Too many to name but STALKER Call of Chernobyl or Misery stick out as does Back Mesa, but one that deserves more attention is Portal Stories :Mel

Ya I just started this based on the recommendation. Rather impressed so far, looks and sounds like the real deal.

mcjmetroid

Agreed AMR2 was the reason I never bothered with Samus Returns.
Why bother when a fan made a game that looked better?

Fbh

This crossover fighter "Card Saga Wars" always looked really cool, it's basically Smash Bross as a 2 Fighter with some great visuals. They even released a playable demo though I think the devs just moved on with their lives and never made a full release. It has some really solid spritework.

I love the attention to detail in both the stages and the actual movesets and attacks.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Despite being a bit rough around the edges, it's one of the best IGAVanias ever made, with a distinct artstyle, great mix of original and remixed tunes, imaginative abilities, a more horror-inspired atmosphere, and they even got Robert Belgrade to reprise his voice role as Alucard.

Basically a remake of Super Double Dragon, with a very expanded moveset and a "Style" system that modifies your moveset and greatly expands your combos/finishers.

The game is currently being remade as Ultimate Double Dragon with even more moves, a faster pace, new music and some sprites made by Koji Ogata, one of the original DD artists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom