• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Asus ROG Ally is coming June 13 for $699.99

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I've cancelled my preorder after watching those videos. I've already had bad experiences with Armoury Crate in the past so I'm not going to be an early adopter especially with a company that has, of late, not been deserving of my money. Sucks too because historically I've always had a positive opinion of Asus. I'm typing on a Flow z13 right now.

Really? I've never had a problem with Gigabyte
I've built quite a lot of PCs and I have a ton of problems with Gigabyte, but what really broke the camels back was receiving the board, few RMAs and it is only Gigabyte who write you back "problem wasn't found in our test lab", so I don't really want to support that. Disappointingly Asus boards were always nothing but solid in my experience, but the recent thing is in excusable

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've cancelled my preorder after watching those videos. I've already had bad experiences with Armoury Crate in the past so I'm not going to be an early adopter especially with a company that has, of late, not been deserving of my money. Sucks too because historically I've always had a positive opinion of Asus. I'm typing on a Flow z13 right now.

Edit: Also, the Ally reviews are a mixed bag.

I canceled mine this morning as well as I can't stand the thought of giving that company money right now

Topher

Gold Member
I've built quite a lot of PCs and I have a ton of problems with Gigabyte, but what really broke the camels back was receiving the board, few RMAs and it is only Gigabyte who write you back "problem wasn't found in our test lab", so I don't really want to support that. Disappointingly Asus boards were always nothing but solid in my experience, but the recent thing is in excusable

Thankfully I have never had to send a Gigabyte board back, but that response would be enough for me to write them off as well. I'll be researching quite a bit next time I start a new build.

Raphael

Does that speak bad of Asus motherboards in any meaningful way? I was looking to buy an AM5 motherboard from them since I thought they were one of the leading brands in PC gaming components, but now I'm not really sure.
For Am5 you want gigabyte.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I wanted to get a steam deck howevwer seeing someone emulate god of war 3 at 60fps on it has me shook and thinking Ill wait. Im curious how MGS4 would play on it since I miss the game. I do however hate how it doesnt have track pads like the steam deck, those seem vital and integrated well for search and playing games

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wanted to get a steam deck howevwer seeing someone emulate god of war 3 at 60fps on it has me shook and thinking Ill wait. Im curious how MGS4 would play on it since I miss the game. I do however hate how it doesnt have track pads like the steam deck, those seem vital and integrated well for search and playing games
Good luck with that MGS for dream as it's hard enough to do on a high end computer. I don't see this being worth any time quite yet. I think the refresh rate is unnecessarily high and arguably the resolution as well. That's where the steam day and services the handheld market better. I'm a fan of the technology though just doesn't make a lot of sense right now versus a steam deck.

Zathalus

SteamOS? Or one of the other distros?

I can believe that game by game random Linux distro might struggle, as it depends on how they're executing the game. One of the interesting bits about Proton* was that games running in it were beating native ports iirc in various but not all cases.

*SteamOS is using Proton.

Edit: casting further doubt on your assertion

Obviously there's some interesting nuance there, regarding AMDGPU. but on the whole I'd say it's a compelling counter argument

The video indicates Linux is 6% slower at 4k, 1% slower at 1440p and 5% faster at 1080p. Seems mostly a win for Windows.

Other benchmarks show Windows to have the usual lead:

This is for desktops and laptops mind you, even though games might be faster on Windows in its current form its not suited for a handheld, and I would choose SteamOS any day for that from factor.

paolo11

Noob question. If I connect the Ally to the Mobile XG, do I need an external monitor or can I use the Ally’s screen?

StereoVsn

Gigabyte is well known of having major issues with their RMA process, had a history of dodgy motherboard capacitors, exploding PSUs, and iffy settings.

That said, they seem to have decent boards this gen, but I just don't trust them. Had couple bad experiences with motherboard RMA as well.

And yeah, I also didn't go forward with pre-order. Just don't want to deal with this stuff. Main reason why I am not getting say GPD WinMax 2 or Aya Neo, etc...

I just don't get this shortsightedness of pissing off their target customer base.

Shit is that until this time, I have nothing but good experience with Asus, so it suck major ass. I went and bought X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI, even if pricey, I can't really risk some catastrophic failure. I sold the Asus board, I had for my 7900x 3D...
Yeah, going to sell my x670e Gaming board I just got before all this shit hit the fan. Probably will grab ASRock Taichi or whatever they got around $300 range.

Topher

Gold Member
Noob question. If I connect the Ally to the Mobile XG, do I need an external monitor or can I use the Ally’s screen?

Probably will need to wait on some reviews of XG mobile with Ally to get an answer to your question. What you are talking about is possible with Asus Flow tablets and laptops, but there is a hit on performance feeding it back to the internal screen. I would think you would definitely want to use XG mobile on an external screen to get the most out of it.

The closest review there is, that I am aware of, to what you are talking about is this:

(timestamped)

Gigabyte is well known of having major issues with their RMA process, had a history of dodgy motherboard capacitors, exploding PSUs, and iffy settings.

That said, they seem to have decent boards this gen, but I just don't trust them. Had couple bad experiences with motherboard RMA as well.

And yeah, I also didn't go forward with pre-order. Just don't want to deal with this stuff. Main reason why I am not getting say GPD WinMax 2 or Aya Neo, etc...

I just don't get this shortsightedness of pissing off their target customer base.

Yeah, going to sell my x670e Gaming board I just got before all this shit hit the fan. Probably will grab ASRock Taichi or whatever they got around $300 range.

Damn.....I'm feeling pretty lucky right now regarding Gigabyte.

Matthew Broderick GIF

(knock on wood)

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Good luck with that MGS for dream as it's hard enough to do on a high end computer. I don't see this being worth any time quite yet. I think the refresh rate is unnecessarily high and arguably the resolution as well. That's where the steam day and services the handheld market better. I'm a fan of the technology though just doesn't make a lot of sense right now versus a steam deck.
Totally but apparently god of war 3 is a taxing game for emulation and thats running 60 which is really good in general

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Plus RT and HDR not working on Linux.
RT works on linux and HDR support will be on it in the next year or so

Nvidia support has also vastly gotten better on Linux to the point where AMD isn't the only choice anymore.

And even if Linux apparently performs worse (it performs better. DXVK eliminates all DX12 bad stuttering and shader compilation issues, all the terrible PC ports of 2023 are a windows exclusive thing) It's so fucking negligible and not that much of a negative considering how much faster and cooler it runs, and how much less TDP it uses compared to Windows. this is also not to mention that it is an actively in development open source system with lots of bugs and things to iron out. One days it might perform slower than Windows, the next thanks to patches, proton updates, and optimization it runs far better. Valve's backing, the proton achievements, Windows 10 support ending with 12 on the horizon, ads in Win11's menu and browsers... it's the perfect storm

Last edited:

RaduN

120hz and a 1080p screen is a fucking mistake
Not when you want the fastest input lag possible (for shmups and other ultra fast paced games).

My (coincidentally Assus) Rog Phone 3 is so damn snappy in 160hz, in both touch input lag and pixel shade change. Probably the fastest on the market, and it makes a while lot of difference, compared to screens at 60 hz (at least twice as fast, at least).

What i can't believe still doesn't exist, on either Deck or Ally, is the positioning of controls, so they accomodate vertical gaming, for the hundreds of vertical shmups out there. It's baffling that they didn't think of this...and it's an absolute main priority for me.

MacReady13

Makes me think- if these things sell well, would it be worth Microsoft or even Sony getting back in the ring with a new handheld? I’d love to see another Sony portable.

Mr Hyde

Yup I need to watch some guide on how to install for when mine arrives.

There are several tutorials on YouTube on how you install Launchbox and Emudeck on Windows. Should be the same for ROG Ally since it's a Windows device. I'm going for a Launchbox setup like ETA has, seems to be the best and most complete emulator.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There are several tutorials on YouTube on how you install Launchbox and Emudeck on Windows. Should be the same for ROG Ally since it's a Windows device. I'm going for a Launchbox setup like ETA has, seems to be the best and most complete emulator.

Yeah launchbox looks great. 👌 going for that.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I am wondering if the system does ok, if maybe we might see a third party develop an external dock so some people can use an external gpu at a reasonable price?

Ozriel

M$FT
I would bet money that on equivalent hardware as the deck, Windows 11 would perform worse than SteamOS.

And you’d lose that bet.
Games run just as well on Win 11 as SteamOS on the Deck, often times slightly better, despite having a worse driver situation.

Razvedka

Banned
And you’d lose that bet.
Games run just as well on Win 11 as SteamOS on the Deck, often times slightly better, despite having a worse driver situation.
I'd love to see some breakdowns over a suitable sample size. It would be interesting.

The back and forth with the other poster on Linux distros generically showed a tie to slight edge for Win11 in 2023, albeit none of the distros tested were SteamOS on Deck (which is logical as that kind of its own comparison that must be done).

Last edited:

dolabla

Pre-ordered, but I don't think it will be a full replacement for my Steam Deck. It will complement it very nicely. The Deck still has those trackpads so will definitely be keeping mine for the games that work well with them. It still blows my mind that I'm able to play some of these big AAA games on a handheld and it's only going to get better with the release of this thing.

Sleepwalker

Try F-Zero or Eternal Darkness and let me know how it goes for you.
I ended up restoring my old cube and digging up my f zero copy just to play it. Can never emulate it right on any of my systems.

As for the ally, preorders are still up, I might just grab one on release as its looking like theyll be available then anyway.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

I'm still keeping my preorder in. Just an FYI, ASUS did release a statement that they will honor warranties for the Beta BIOS, and they released a new BIOS without that disclaimer. Still really crappy that they did that in the first place though.

I'll let you know what I think of the Ally when I receive it and test it out. I'm not expecting amazing, next-gen performance, but I would like a hassle-free device that can easily play my games without tinkering. If I can get pretty smooth gameplay with little effort on a screen that pops more than the Steam Deck, I would be very happy with that.

Fahdis

Pre-ordered, but I don't think it will be a full replacement for my Steam Deck. It will complement it very nicely. The Deck still has those trackpads so will definitely be keeping mine for the games that work well with them. It still blows my mind that I'm able to play some of these big AAA games on a handheld and it's only going to get better with the release of this thing.

Eh? Been doing that with my Samsung S22 Ultra (now S23 Ultra), GeForce Now and nreal Air combo since last Feb. Its been possible for a lot of us with Gigabit internet and WiFi 6 for the past 2 years. Contemporary Handhelds catching up.

Lasha

Eh? Been doing that with my Samsung S22 Ultra (now S23 Ultra), GeForce Now and nreal Air combo since last Feb. Its been possible for a lot of us with Gigabit internet and WiFi 6 for the past 2 years. Contemporary Handhelds catching up.

$1200 is overkill for in home streaming tho.

Fahdis

$1200 is overkill for in home streaming tho.

While I agree, Cloud Gaming is platform agnostic. So it will work on any phone that is new or old. Most of us have a phone that is probably 4 years old. Im just a snob in this regards.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

This is not an intelligent take. You're comparing a device that can play games natively versus cloud streaming. If I jump on a plane, your way is useless (unless you're paying for satellite WiFi).

Fahdis

This is not an intelligent take. You're comparing a device that can play games natively versus cloud streaming. If I jump on a plane, your way is useless (unless you're paying for satellite WiFi).

I don't game while travelling. Ever. On an Airplane I'd rather be passive and watch movies. Once at the destination, thats the time to relax with the fam and doing excursions and seeing new things. Different value systems. I didnt say the Handheld is bad, my take was that it was possible years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom