• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent's cyberpunk city looks even better in first-person (1st person mode for ascent PC)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
lol I said this like ten times when coop-ing with friends last week.

But then again the performance in this game is absolutely trash. Stuttering galore. Massive frame drops from 60 to 0 fps on explosions. Game is extremely unpolished and shows it was made by 12 people.

I've heard that PC version is a mess, especially on the Windows/Game Pass store.

lol I said this like ten times when coop-ing with friends last week.

But then again the performance in this game is absolutely trash. Stuttering galore. Massive frame drops from 60 to 0 fps on explosions. Game is extremely unpolished and shows it was made by 12 people.
Maybe on PC. Runs very smoothly on console.

Not that I want it to run badly on PC, but it's probably a lot more manpower to optimize for that many builds compared to console.

Fredrik

Maybe on PC. Runs very smoothly on console.

Not that I want it to run badly on PC, but it's probably a lot more manpower to optimize for that many builds compared to console.
As far as I know it’s just the PC Gamepass version that runs badly. I don’t hear much complaints about the Steam version and someone even ran it on Steam Deck in a preview.

I started playing this last week and honestly while I don't know if it's technically better looking than CyberPunk, I like the aesthetic and world better. Everything is campy cyberpunk. Goofy chrome helmets with built-in shades levels of camp. I love it. The level of detail and overall aesthetics remind me very much of Deus-Ex Mankind Divided. Plenty of greebles and small details like trash littered around. Lots of NPCs milling about making the world feel alive. Light shafts coming out of every opening.

trXSbha.jpg

I've heard that PC version is a mess, especially on the Windows/Game Pass store.

As far as I know it’s just the PC Gamepass version that runs badly. I don’t hear much complaints about the Steam version and someone even ran it on Steam Deck in a preview.

I've been playying it on PC Gamepass. The Gamepass version has stuttering issues requiring some file diving and system-level exception changes to fix. There is also the occasional short freeze during explosions (but not every time you play) which also requires a fix. Once it's running properly it runs really well. I have about 14 hours in the game and after the initial fixes I haven't seen any stutters or hitching.

The Steam version doesn't run as bad and is easier to file-dive to iron out issues so if anyone is looking to buy that's the obvious choice between the two. The game does need an official patch though.

Azurro

Banned
I remember watching the trailer for this and thinking it was a shame that the game played with the camera so far away. The level of detail is incredible for an isometric shooter.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When you play The Ascent, you're basically always seeing the game from a birds-eye view. But using a nifty tool called Universal Unreal Engine 4 Unlocker, you can switch to a first person free camera and fly around the game to your heart's content. The game was already gorgeous, but being able to see some of these details up close is pretty staggering since a lot of the tiny fine touches possibly wouldn't be seen otherwise. Enjoy this montage of scenes we put together and let's all cross our fingers that the game one day gets a first person mode!

tvdaXD

This is a free cam, not first person. I don't know the game and a foggy neon-filled setting is cool and all, but does it have other places as well? Does it ever become daytime?

Rickyiez

Looks great but let's be real it is nowhere near anything from Cyberpunk 2077 maxed out on PC . Not trying to defend CP2077 but you have to be joking to even have this comparison .

This is a free cam, not first person. I don't know the game and a foggy neon-filled setting is cool and all, but does it have other places as well? Does it ever become daytime?
It does have other places, but many areas look similar. Youre in a giant corporate mega tower where the pollution is so strong you can't see the sun. In the middle levels, where the most corporate and middle class activity occurs, you're high enough up that it rains. The atmosphere and air quality are improved. The rumor about the Pinnacle is that its always sunshine. But few ever become privileged enough to see it ....

Null Persp

Looks great but let's be real it is nowhere near anything from Cyberpunk 2077 maxed out on PC . Not trying to defend CP2077 but you have to be joking to even have this comparison .
Exactly, It's looks very good and incredible detailed, but Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing is on another level.

Neo_game

Very impressive indeed. The game has got low rating but gfx seems to be the best part about it. Looking at this I think there is a room for corridor fps games with closed but nice gfx especially in dark settings.

I've been playying it on PC Gamepass. The Gamepass version has stuttering issues requiring some file diving and system-level exception changes to fix. There is also the occasional short freeze during explosions (but not every time you play) which also requires a fix. Once it's running properly it runs really well. I have about 14 hours in the game and after the initial fixes I haven't seen any stutters or hitching.

The Steam version doesn't run as bad and is easier to file-dive to iron out issues so if anyone is looking to buy that's the obvious choice between the two. The game does need an official patch though.
Also DLSS is not available on gamepass PC version and the ray tracing options, while available, apparently don't work(on gamepass PC).

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Why did they put so much attention to such tiny detail you wouldn't be able to see otherwise? No wonder the game looks so phenomenal when zoomed out.
You answered your own question - because the game looks phenomenal when zoomed out.

It looks good but has anyone here tried playing the game w this mod? I'm not about to set it up if everything but the visuals are worse lol
Doesn't look like a mod. It's just freecam - you can't actually play the game like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom