• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent releasing 29th July. Previews are UP!

Mr Hyde

Looks really good. Haven't played a twin stick shooter in a very long time. Fingers crossed for a PS-version.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This game looks like it captures the atmosphere and aesthetic of a cyberpunk world better than Cyberpunk 2077 did. 2077 felt a bit like GTA with a cyberpunk skin sometimes.
I honestly think this little studio nailed the look better than any other game. If someone said Cyberpunk I picture this in my head. If the game play is as good as the world this will be my game of the year.

CamHostage

What, how can the specs be that low? It looks amazing, like a true next gen title.
I think if somebody were to break down what the engine is doing, it might not be as much as it looks like on screen, but yes, it looks like it was made to break our brains.

Tons of effects to dress up everything beyond what you can scrutinize as "reality" (maybe these lights and reflections are real, maybe not, but there's so much bloom and glow and pins and sparkles and blended colors that my eyes aren't asking questions...), lots of layering of environments to make them feel bigger than what you play (they're not procedurally-generated, so that helps, but still, good luck finding games in this arena that hold up against what we're seeing here...), and just an insane abundance of detail work embedded in every environment. There's good tech in The Ascent, but there's also just a lot of hard, hard work.

It's still got to run on an Xbox One, and it's also cross-play (so they couldn't just do a charitable downport on a similar-but-lesser engine, it has to run in the same environment and game systems.) They could cut back but not cut down on the lowest spec range (we likely won't see the X1 or a minimum spec screen/video of it until it ships, of course, but hopefully they make good choices in the cuts.) If there were compromises, though, for getting The Ascent on the board for blow-your-mind next-gen kudos while also ensuring it scales down to run outside next-gen specs, it's hard to see them on screen.

Last edited:
I was just scrolling through Game Pass and I saw the pre-install tab for The Ascent. Pretty cool. Then, for shits and giggles, I played the trailer for it. Now, I’ve seen footage of the game here and there…probably this same trailer on my iPad. But sweet Jesus, seeing it on my 65” CX…let’s just say that excitement has turned into DESPERATION for this game. The colours, cyberpunkian details, particle effects….just incredible.

CloudNull

Banned
Man I cant stop thinking about this game. It is the only thing that excites me as It feels like an oasis in the current dry season for gaming.

Blows away the majority of so called 'next gen' games so far. Amazing looking.

A bit gutted about the low price though as it could mean a short game.

Now, now, let’s not bring such negative thoughts into this. Let’s all just be excited until we are given tangible reasons not to be.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
This is the first XBOX exclusive title that i'm envy you XBOX players about since i dont own the console.

Looks stunning!

Stuart360

Now, now, let’s not bring such negative thoughts into this. Let’s all just be excited until we are given tangible reasons not to be.
Oh i'm very excited, and have been since it was first shown off.
The low price, compared with the super detailed graphics, makes me just think it will be a like a 4 or 5 hour game.
If its good though i suppose it doesnt matter too much.

CloudNull

Banned
A bit gutted about the low price though as it could mean a short game.
Or its the fact it was made by 12 people.

It will not take a lot of sales for this to make a profit and its priced low enough that people will jump in even though its the studios first game. I think it is priced perfectly.

catvonpee

This is one of those games I think looks awesome but I probably wouldn't make time to play. I am so grateful it is on Gamepass so I can at least try it. This was one of the games they showed last year that was a highlight of the show for me.

T-Cake

Aiii, I can't wait for this. Unfortunately, I might be bogged down with Olympics viewing so it may end up being delayed a week in my household. I can't think of anything better though - Diablo, twin-stick shooter and Cyberpunk all in one. My god.

Last edited:
Top Bottom