• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent Gameplay Deep Dive on Xbox Series X

So much wrong with this.

Frst lol at “hyped” gimmie a break. Destruction all stars had barely any coverage and it’s not like people didn’t always love destruction derby type games. Trailers were also really good. Bugsnax was hyped in the same way knack was. As a stupid meme. Game came out and was surprisingly fun and chill to people gave it credit. That’s it.

Secondly PS had demons souls, sack boy, and miles morales day one, that’s not counting all the other titles already out. Xbox is getting its first exclusive title since their new consoles dropped in flight sim in fucking July. There’s a small difference there.

So laughable. Funny thing is I’ll take bugsnax over flight sim because I haven’t deluded myself into thinking I’m actually going to enjoy flying slowly for hours a day. Whereas I’ll happily go back and play bugsnax with my kid.

Random stupid console war guy says whaaaaat......?

Fredrik

They had me at the blonde slightly buffed guy called arcade with the questionable haircut who used almost all of his screentime to explain how waist-high covers and enemies spawn works like it was something new :lollipop_squinting:
Haha yeah, I got Cliffy B vibes, and yes regarding gameplay that is a good thing 👌😉

I mean, is that it?

Fair enough.
I mean that’s what I assume. Not huge into top down stuff but I’ll play this bc it’s free on gamepass and looks cool enough - I dunno I finished ratchet and clank pretty quick, re8 lasted a bit longer but finished that as well. Is something else is coming out this month that looks good? I like Flight simulators graphics but it’s a boring as hell game

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I mean that’s what I assume. Not huge into top down stuff but I’ll play this bc it’s free on gamepass and looks cool enough - I dunno I finished ratchet and clank pretty quick, re8 lasted a bit longer but finished that as well. Is something else is coming out this month that looks good? I like Flight simulators graphics but it’s a boring as hell game
I'll play it too, it's on Gamepass.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Perfect game for GP. Quality looks decent and no way I'm paying for an action loot game with no random layouts like Diablo. Unless the loot and leveling up is so good to keep playing a second or third time on the same levels, I'll go through it once and then delete it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I mean, is that it?

Fair enough.
Looks like a high quality top down shooter with RPG elements, it’s not Diablo and it’s not Nex Machina, it’s a mix. I guess you could compare it to PS2 Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance, top down action RPG, but more… shooty shooty 👍

Feels fresh to be honest. I’m not sold on the crouch/cover mechanic yet but they’ve only worked on action games before so they probably know what they’re doing. I think the RPG gameplay is what could possibly break it, needs to have interesting quests and a well-written script or it’ll just feel like tedious filler content that stops you from the shooting.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I hope it's fun. I love coop games in this vein, like the zombie one on PlayStation, or Helldivers. It certainly looks really pretty. Loving the art style and world design.

Fredrik

I hope it's fun. I love coop games in this vein, like the zombie one on PlayStation, or Helldivers. It certainly looks really pretty. Loving the art style and world design.
Yeah, maybe. But I think it’s unwise to have focused so much on the shooting in trailers, up until the video below I thought it was a twin-stick shooter but clearly it’s more RPG than they’ve shown previously. Can be too much shmup for RPG fans and too much talking for shooter fans, or perfect for both, it’s a tricky mix.
For me though, day 1!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Impressive coming from such a small team, looking forward to getting it on day 1 actually if I can. Quite detailed, coherently designed, nice art style, and gameplay might not be something completely unheard of in every aspect, but seems engaging :).

Edit: achtualllyyyy…

szGE9Ot.png

Microsoft you could create an icon for the XSX there and not reuse the OneX logo eh? Tsk tsk :p.

I know this is on GamePass, but this is a small third party dev and I prefer properly supporting them so I pre-ordered it / bought it before it hit there at launch.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Apparently it does not have randomised loot drop. The core aspect behind Diablo's grinding.

no way I'm paying for an action loot game with no random layouts like Diablo

When I heard the game won't have the usual, random rare/epic/unique loot drop... the game instantly became even better in my eyes. Seriously, fuck grinding and being on luck's mercy, give ma a fun gameplay and interesting world/story and that'll make me hooked into the game. Which is exactly what Ascent looks to have, from what I understand it'll be entirely up to you which gear you'll want to upgrade, in which direction etc., and I'm all into customization/giving the player choice.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Same reason flight sim on Xbox is. They’ve got literally nothing.
Please MSFS2020 is a gem of a game, I cannot wait to play it finally (personal and professional choice… all Mac’s and iOS devices in the household, easier for me to admin and troubleshoot things as well as do work… so no Windows machine, XSX aside).

This game looks polished, especially for a small team, the city design feels quite alive and full of little details, and I like the passion the team shows… I am happy to be able support them and play this game. It looks fun and it is like £22.99 (£19.99 if you have a GamePass subscription).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking forward to this. Dope assed looking environment's. Love the cyberpunk world and alien designs. Hope the gameplay loop is crack. All in!

Last edited:

Fredrik

I know this is on GamePass, but this is a small third party dev and I prefer properly supporting them so I pre-ordered it / bought it before it hit there at launch.
I wish we knew how much a dev really make through Gamepass. It’s a small and new developer and they seem really talented, I want them to survive.
But I’m a cheap old bastard, unfortunately, so Gamepass it is. I think Microsoft should show that they actually care about the devs they use to make Gamepass better. Don’t have to acquire them, just make sure this is a sweet deal for the devs too and not just gamers.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Same reason flight sim on Xbox is. They’ve got literally nothing.
Flight Sim has existed for +/- 40 years and people have literally built PCs just to play it. It’s ok not to like it but don’t take your Bugsnax lover opinion as fact.
I wish we knew how much a dev really make through Gamepass. It’s a small and new developer and they seem really talented, I want them to survive.
But I’m a cheap old bastard, unfortunately, so Gamepass it is. I think Microsoft should show that they actually care about the devs they use to make Gamepass better. Don’t have to acquire them, just make sure this is a sweet deal for the devs too and not just gamers.
For indies that go Day 1 on GP MS usually pays for the development and doesn’t even ask for full exclusivity. It’s a great deal for devs too (not to mention the promotion they get).

Fredrik

For indies that go Day 1 on GP MS usually pays for the development and doesn’t even ask for full exclusivity.
Honestly, I doubt it. Curve Digital is the publisher, they’re not just freeloading taking a cut from the sales without having opened the wallet themselves.
Edit: I guess you’re just talking about indies, I thought you referred to Neon Giant.

Last edited:
Honestly, I doubt it. Curve Digital is the publisher, they’re not just freeloading taking a cut from the sales without having opened the wallet themselves.
Edit: I guess you’re just talking about indies, I thought you referred to Neon Giant.

Developer cut is different from game to game.

But it's completely fine to play on gamepass.

Maybe buy an expansion if you like the game later?

Fredrik

Developer cut is different from game to game.

But it's completely fine to play on gamepass.

Maybe buy an expansion if you like the game later?
Yeah I’m not having any problem with it, I’m abusing the system to get cheaper games all the time, I just hope Microsoft makes sure the dev walk away as happy as me afterwards. Hopefully the extra talk is good PR at least.

MOTM

Banned
The fact that they were at MS showcase last year and it’s been advertised from day one as coming to Gamepass makes me think they received a hefty check :)

Havoc2049

Haha yeah, I got Cliffy B vibes, and yes regarding gameplay that is a good thing 👌😉
Totally Cliffy B with a blonde wig and fake accent. 🤣 You could even hear his fake accent slip a few times and when he started talking about the big company he used to work for, he almost slipped and said Epic.

I think this game looks fairly cool. Looking forward to it.

GymWolf

Never said it was top down, genius. I said it had elements of twin stick shooters. Because it does. You don't agree?

I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF
He doesn't, unless you think that just shooting stuff while not being in first person is enough to group normal tps and twin stick shooters.

The shooting in returnal is pure tps with behind the shoulder camera, it's the same as gears or unchy, are those twin stick shooter as well?!

I almost never buy twin stick shooters because i'm not a huge fan of the genre (i'm pretty bad at it), i didn't bought helldivers or the zombie one or the other good iteration we had in the last years, but i bought returnal day one exactly because the shooting part is not twin stick.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Totally Cliffy B with a blonde wig and fake accent. 🤣 You could even hear his fake accent slip a few times and when he started talking about the big company he used to work for, he almost slipped and said Epic.

I think this game looks fairly cool. Looking forward to it.
To be honest Arcade ”Shooty Shooty” Berg has actually worked at Epic, and Tor Frick, the normal one, has worked on Bulletstorm. 👍Both are credited in a whole bunch of action games, it’s why I’m not worried by the action, it’s the RPG stuff that might make or break the game I think.

Mr.ODST

So much wrong with this.

Frst lol at “hyped” gimmie a break. Destruction all stars had barely any coverage and it’s not like people didn’t always love destruction derby type games. Trailers were also really good. Bugsnax was hyped in the same way knack was. As a stupid meme. Game came out and was surprisingly fun and chill to people gave it credit. That’s it.

Secondly PS had demons souls, sack boy, and miles morales day one, that’s not counting all the other titles already out. Xbox is getting its first exclusive title since their new consoles dropped in flight sim in fucking July. There’s a small difference there.

So laughable. Funny thing is I’ll take bugsnax over flight sim because I haven’t deluded myself into thinking I’m actually going to enjoy flying slowly for hours a day. Whereas I’ll happily go back and play bugsnax with my kid.
You gonna cry?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Flight Sim has existed for +/- 40 years and people have literally built PCs just to play it. It’s ok not to like it but don’t take your Bugsnax lover opinion as fact.

For indies that go Day 1 on GP MS usually pays for the development and doesn’t even ask for full exclusivity. It’s a great deal for devs too (not to mention the promotion they get).
That feels like huge understatement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom