• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent Gameplay Deep Dive on Xbox Series X

Fredrik

12 people making this game is all kinds on crazy even though they called in some favors from outsiders. Looks fantastic!

Interesting that there is a cover system. Crouching in top down view, how is that working controlwise? Is it a toggle? Left trigger, one push, crouch, another push stand up?

spons

Gold Member
The development team just seems too small to be able to produce enough diverse high quality content. I expect this to get repetitive really fast.
If I'm wrong all the better.
I suspect you are right, a team this small is prone to tunnel vision in the design process.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think this game is going to be what a lot of people want/thought it was.. I've seen 2 threads where it got throw around as being like Diablo.

I always thought it was going to be very Diablo-isn but in a Sci-Fi cyberpunk setting. Is that not the case?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I always thought it was going to be very Diablo-isn but in a Sci-Fi cyberpunk setting. Is that not the case?
Diablo is a game about having tons of loot/magic/character options and grinding for said loot for 1000s of hours.. it's also not about aiming guns in general, mostly about all kinds of attacks, area of effect, explosive, etc. I see nothing similar here but the top-down aspect of the game.

Topher

Gold Member

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Last edited:

[Sigma]

Seems cool. I have interest because it combines themes/genres I like(Cyberpunk/Twin-Stick Shooter). But I don't have an Xbox anymore and don't game on PC outside of obscure fighting games unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the old Syndicate and Diablo games with a really well done cyberpunk world. The coop is the icing on the cake. Preloaded and I've talk buddies into it day one. Passion projects are the best, this team oozes passion for their process and game. The art and mechanics look wonderful. I'm glad they just have an organic cover system that is on the fly and natural feeling to the environment. Something like Gears just feels like you get bogged down in cover and inaccurate shooting. The Ascent seems to be more direct and dynamic to its cover during combat.

Also you have to love the lines coming out of that video -

Shooty Shooty

Wherever we could put explosions we did

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Reminds me of Ruiner but better graphics. Small teams have made cool games in this exact genre.
NdU7LJ7.gif

Renozokii

Same reason Destruction All Stars and Bugsnax were hyped up.
So much wrong with this.

Frst lol at “hyped” gimmie a break. Destruction all stars had barely any coverage and it’s not like people didn’t always love destruction derby type games. Trailers were also really good. Bugsnax was hyped in the same way knack was. As a stupid meme. Game came out and was surprisingly fun and chill to people gave it credit. That’s it.

Secondly PS had demons souls, sack boy, and miles morales day one, that’s not counting all the other titles already out. Xbox is getting its first exclusive title since their new consoles dropped in flight sim in fucking July. There’s a small difference there.

So laughable. Funny thing is I’ll take bugsnax over flight sim because I haven’t deluded myself into thinking I’m actually going to enjoy flying slowly for hours a day. Whereas I’ll happily go back and play bugsnax with my kid.

DavidGzz

The salty trolls, lmao. Looks awesome! I bet it's left trigger to crouch, right trigger to fire and right bumper to shoot over cover. Seems like that would make it simple. Maybe B to lob grenades.

Edit: Oh, and combat roll on left bumper. Hope the controls are highly customizable if not.

Last edited:
Game looks sweet and all, but seriously, what's with the bottle-blond guy's hair? Reminds me of my ex-boyfriend of Italian stock when he bleached his hair while I was at work, but forgot his dark neck hairs and full 5 o'clock shadow.

It was all I could do keep from laughing as I sat him down and shaved the back of his neck. The face was on him.

BT9297_15-E2P-global-001

Imagine this guy with bleached blonde hair, and not as good looking.

Apparently it does not have randomised loot drop. The core aspect behind Diablo's grinding.

But both are top down action RPGs, so that's where people are drawing comparisons from.

Great, I'm so sick of RNG crap in games. The Wishender Bow in Destiny 2 was an awesome experience to 2 man our way through a 3 man adventure, without looking up what to do etc. The weeks of working it out when we were under the level bar but got it done was some of the best gaming going around. The RNG stuff Bungie put into Destiny 2 made me drop the game entirely. I hate RNG grinding, so stupid. If you know what you're after why shouldn't you be able to grind to a specific loot goal?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Great, I'm so sick of RNG crap in games. The Wishender Bow in Destiny 2 was an awesome experience to 2 man our way through a 3 man adventure, without looking up what to do etc. The weeks of working it out when we were under the level bar but got it done was some of the best gaming going around. The RNG stuff Bungie put into Destiny 2 made me drop the game entirely. I hate RNG grinding, so stupid. If you know what you're after why shouldn't you be able to grind to a specific loot goal?

I definitely think that if the devs want a controlled experience, then it's for a reason. I also like how encounters are random but not completely. The controlled random encounters he spoke of will make for a more consistent experience. Sounds good to me. Not every game needs to be the same. Also not all hairstyles need to be "normal". People don't need to be put down for not being like everyone else.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Really looking forward to The Ascent next week!!! The last twin stick shooter I played was Ruiner (which The Ascent reminds me of) which was great and im expecting The Ascent to be around the same 8.5/10 rating for me. One more week to go!!!

Mofos really coming in this thread asking "what makes this game so interesting? Like omg, I dont get it."

Thats fine dude, you don't find it interesting.

But some of us are ecstatic over a very well polished looking twin stick scifi shooter with Diablo elements alongside customization systems for body part enhancements, much like some people are excited for a platformer where you play as a kid who can enter the minds and dreams of people to solve their deep hidden and unresolved issues.

🤷🏽‍♂️

Whatever, super excited for the game. Imma see if my pc can run it because idk if I can wait till I get a NG console.

Top Bottom