• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent 12-minute Gameplay with Developer Commentary

ZywyPL

Banned
tumblr_ofqunmQK911tq4of6o1_400.gif

Stuart360

Looks nice but my gut says it will run poorly and will be short. That visual quality especially for a small studio does no way come without a cost.
Thats my worry, the length of the gane. The game is only around $30.
And yes all these assets cant of come cheap.
There was XSX footage a while ago, whihc was mostly 60 but with drops. I'm sure they can optimize it by launch.

Bartski

Gold Member
Shame it's not shadow dropping on GP straight after the E3 showcase. That would be the best parting gift.
yeah I was wondering what's up with the game is on gamepass pre-load 2 months before the release date. Strange way of giving the studio a day one patch deadline

Its pretty crazy what graphics these 20 devs (think its 20 devs) have achieved. Gears Tactics, and Wolcen Lords of Mayhem imo are the best looking issometric games out at the moment, and this game detroys those games graphically.
I agree. It looks shockingly good considering the game. If I'm not mistaken they've shown a 3rd person camera before too, granted, game won't use that, but it seems they just made a really believable and pretty looking game and then pulled the camera back and out to enhance the isometric shooting they are going for.

Its pretty crazy what graphics these 20 devs (think its 20 devs) have achieved. Gears Tactics, and Wolcen Lords of Mayhem imo are the best looking issometric games out at the moment, and this game detroys those games graphically.
Oh god, don't remind me of Wolcen. I want my 30 bucks back lmao

Stuart360

Nice to see the dev using a controller too. These games are much more involved ona controller, but a lot of these games on PC have no controller support. Actually controlling a character with one stick, and aiming with the other stick, is much more involving with these games as oppose to just clicking on screen where you want your character to walk.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm totally digging this. The isometric perspective is so cool, I bet those guys were in love with Crusader: No Remorse in the 90s.

I'm curious how permanent all the destruction is and what are the limits there. Dead enemies seem to stay in place and ragdoll when bumped into, BIG plus.
Also, nice the RPG layer to character progression and gear.

I haven't really gotten into a twin-stick shooter in a while, I have a good feeling this will be it. Hype!

JLB

Banned
Nice to see the dev using a controller too. These games are much more involved ona controller, but a lot of these games on PC have no controller support. Actually controlling a character with one stick, and aiming with the other stick, is much more involving with these games as oppose to just clicking on screen where you want your character to walk.
Actually I think its the opposite. I think this game will be easier to handle with kbm.

JLB

Banned
Yeah, I'm totally digging this. The isometric perspective is so cool, I bet those guys were in love with Crusader: No Remorse in the 90s.

I'm curious how permanent all the destruction is and what are the limits there. Dead enemies seem to stay in place and ragdoll when bumped into, BIG plus.
Also, nice the RPG layer to character progression and gear.

I haven't really gotten into a twin-stick shooter in a while, I have a good feeling this will be it. Hype!

Everyone was in loved with Crusader back in time. I think the fact that Diablo was released some time after it, and was a complete marvel that eclipsed this game.

Stuart360

Actually I think its the opposite. I think this game will be easier to handle with kbm.
Well maybe, especially as you can just mouse click on enemies to shoot.
I was talking more about how involving it feels on a controller. You are actually controlling a character, as oppose to clicking on screen where you want to walk, clicking on an enemy, etc.
I have played some of these games on PC with both control systems, and controller just feels more involved. Thats just me.

It's one of the few genres that I prefer a controller with. I really enjoyed my time with Diablo 3 on consoles because of the controller scheme.

JLB

Banned
I was talking more about how involving it feels on a controller. You are actually controlling a character, as oppose to clicking on screen where you want to walk, clicking on an enemy, etc.
I have played some of these games on PC with both control systems, and controller just feels more involved. Thats just me.

gotcha. Yeah, I mean I have that feeling with FPSs. kbm is definitely optimal, but the feeling of a controller is simply better.

ZywyPL

Banned

Yeah, playing those kind of games witk M+K feels like cheating, it's just way too easy, hence all the excitement and adrenaline rush is gone.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While the Xbox and PC worlds continue to merge, it's still hard to avoid the fact that the Xbox is in dire need of more exclusives and reasons to buy their hardware over somebody else's, and games like The Ascent could be exactly what the doctor ordered if they deliver on their promises. Surely some will and some won't, that's the nature of games but with everything being in place the way that it is and the team behind the project clearly being focused on all of the right things, The Ascent has almost everything it needs in order to be in the camp of the former and not the latter.

We're going to have to wait and see just what happens when the game launches next month, but until then we have every reason to be confident that this is going to be an interesting experience no matter how it ultimately shakes out. Will it be enough to move Xbox series X's more than PlayStation 5’s? Perhaps yes, perhaps no, but either way it should be an interesting game and if any of its elements interest you it's probably going to be something worth checking out if not at launch then soon after. We will definitely be keeping an eye on it from here on out as this particular combination of ideas is something that might just be one of the better games of the year if it can really pull everything off the way that it clearly wants to.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Play The Ascent day one on console, PC, and cloud with Xbox Game Pass on August 19, 2021.

The Ascent is a solo and co-op Action-shooter RPG set in a cyberpunk world. The mega corporation that owns you and everyone, The Ascent Group, has just collapsed. Can you survive without it?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Announced last year, Neon Giant's The Ascent has become one of the more anticipated indie titles thanks to its sharp-looking combat and aesthetic. It's out on July 29th for Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S and PC along with launching day one on Xbox Game Pass. So let's take a look at 13 things you should know before picking it up.

DavidGzz

Dang, the recommended is an i7 and a 2070. Looks like I have to get this on my XSX for sure. Was gonna get it for PC as well for mods but I may have to wait for an upgrade.

Fredrik

Dang, the recommended is an i7 and a 2070. Looks like I have to get this on my XSX for sure. Was gonna get it for PC as well for mods but I may have to wait for an upgrade.
You don’t have to choose when it’s Play Anywhere so you can always try it and tweak some settings. I’m still starting on XSX too though, feels like a living room game, PC is my backup plan if the performance is bad on XSX.

Top Bottom