• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The art style of the Demon's Souls remake looks terrible

Generally it looks way way better, however I think they lost a lot of the impact with the Dragon God redesign..... he looked way more intimidating in the original. The OG looks more like a mix between a Xenomorph and a Dragon....

haven't played the original, but dear god did he look and sound intimidating as hell. Especially his jawline gives him the shark from the jaws movie and rest of his body gives him this demonic dragon appearance

nkarafo

Now, i haven't played Demon Souls Remake but from all the footage i saw, the first thing that seemed off to me was the increased vegetation and foliage.

In the original, the emptiness of the enviroments gave the feeling of death and decay, not just abandonment. In the remake it feels like nature took over and you might bump on a squirrel at some point.

Last edited:
Bluepoint sets the standard for remakes, but one thing that would be cool to see moving forward is access to a more faithful emulated version of the game included with their gorgeous remasters.

Now, i haven't played Demon Souls Remake but from all the footage i saw, the first thing that seemed off to me was the increased vegetation and foliage.

In the original, the emptiness of the enviroments gave the feeling of death and decay, not just abandonment. In the remake it feels like nature took over and you might bump on a squirrel at some point.
Good post that I second.

The atmosphere seems to be quite different.
Went from bleak to abandoned.

timmyp53

Good post that I second.

The atmosphere seems to be quite different.
Went from bleak to abandoned.
I'm gonna have to disagree there. If you really look at a comparison from PS3 to PS5, the PS3 had grass and vegetation, it was just more empty because of lack of graphical resources. You can even see where developers had to compromise as an example: on PS3 with shitty stone/cobble textures on the ps3 with with like 2x AF grass textures embedded in them. I honestly wish Bluepoint would have went even further.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to disagree there. If you really look at a comparison from PS3 to PS5, the PS3 had grass and vegetation, it was just more empty because of lack of graphical resources. You can even see where developers had to compromise as an example: on PS3 with shitty stone/cobble textures on the ps3 with with like 2x AF grass textures embedded in them. I honestly wish Bluepoint would have went even further.
What the dev might have originally want doesn't change what the game looked like in the end and was loved for by many.

Never played the original so I don’t have the attachment. The game is absolutely crazy looking graphically to me - like best graphics I’ve ever seen in a videogame by quite a lot (only caveat being Alyx on PC VR legit tricked me into feeling like it was real life) The fire is crazy! Like when cloth catches on fire and all these weird little details - nuts. Sadly I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing and have been caught in a loop of farming souls from the first stage of the first level of the game - like how am I supposed to beat that gigantic fucking knight it’s huge

Last edited:

nkarafo

Well of course it would have to have some vegetation, otherwise it would look unfinished. Some sparse, dead foliage here and there still convey the feel of death and decay in the world. Bluepoint though, went with almost a lush vegetation enviroment look. Some scenes reminded me of ruins in South America.

You can't know what the original creator intended, you can only assume things. If you wanted to be sure, you could do some reaserch like reading interviews or looking at original concept art. Otherwise the end product is the only referrence we got to work with.

Last edited:

timmyp53

Well of course it would have to have some vegetation, otherwise it would look unfinished. Some sparse, dead foliage here and there still convey the feel of death and decay in the world. Bluepoint though, went with almost a lush vegetation enviroment look. Some scenes reminded me of ruins in South America.

You can't know what the original creator intended, you can only assume things. If you wanted to be sure, you could do some reaserch like reading interviews or looking at original concept art. Otherwise the end product is the only referrence we got to work with.
That's the crux of what that I think bluepoint tackled IMHO. PS3 looks barebones and it doesn't appear to look that way because of direction. That's what PS3 games looked like at the time. Those projecting what they believe are the vibes on a barebones environment isn't some universal fact. It's just an opinion.

Last edited:
The game is good, it's faithful too much for my taste sometimes but I don't like what was made of some enemy designs and the music at all. Bluepoint changed Flamelurker back then because they knew old fans wouldn't stand for one of the most iconic bosses to have its design changed beyond recognition, sadly the same can't be said about the fatass knights (can't remember their name properly). I remember them being creepy as fuck in the original, now they seem so goofy.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The From style is unique for sure but remake looks amazing. Just different. I still like style of bb and ds3 more.
In Fact I like the style of some areas in DS2 the most...

brenobnfm

I was playing the mines earlier and was struck at how poorly the original game conveyed the setting compared to the remake. I think from did well considering the limitations but they've shown by their own evolution over the years there's room for more. The colors on later games are still muted, but it's much more vibrant than demon's souls.

The fuck you're talking about, Demon's Souls is the opposite of colorful and vibrant THEMATICALLY, it is INTENDED to be the way it is, not because of hardware limitations.

For the most part, I love the new look. Not a huge fan of many of the enemy and npc redesigns, tho. Wish they could have stuck more closely to the original hand-drawn designs.

Zug

This remake definitely lacks the "weird From Software touch" visually speaking. Bluepoint doesn't have a strong artistic director and it shows.
Demon's souls PS3 was lacking technically and had a cheap budget, yet even Dark Souls could'nt replicate it's atmosphere, being less of an "author game". I remember being disapointed in the first place. Bloodborne restored that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After playing the game 3 times, I would say other than Vangard, Flamelurker and Fat officials, I'm fine with the rest of the designs.

For example: I actually like design for Fool's Idol in remake.

PS3:
maxresdefault.jpg

PS4:
NnFcvzG.png

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
The fuck you're talking about, Demon's Souls is the opposite of colorful and vibrant THEMATICALLY, it is INTENDED to be the way it is, not because of hardware limitations.
That's all well and good, but intentionally making the game look like mud color palette-wise doesn't really sell the games themes better.

With regard to the limitations, they added much more environmental details in each subsequent game so I would say they were indeed limited by the hardware and the vision wasn't just to have flat bland environments like what's present in the original demon's souls.

Iorv3th

Now back to the main point, Bluepoint seems to be giving the same treatment to Demon's Souls, which already looks more like Warcraft than a Souls game. It just looks so generic and bland! something about the models, the materials, and the colors just strikes me as plasticky and boring. The whole point of remaking a game is to bring it up to standard with the current gen, but is it not possible to do so while staying faithful to the original vision?

I just wanted to say your a turd. I think it looks amazing. I played the original japanese version before the game came out in the us and then played that too and I still love it. Was a big flash back going back to the game and brought back a lot of those feelings of first playing it but experiencing it with updated graphics and everything was so cool.

I mean you still have the original if you want to go back to it and they have filters you can enable.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

To each their own, I personally think it looks absolutely beautiful. Not to mention the small adjustments they made to some demons since previous trailers. The environments are gorgeous, the music is incredible, even has nods to the original in various tracks. I'm just really happy with this remake and how it was handled.

Top Bottom