• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple Switch or the Disney PlayStation

Bryank75

Banned
The Japanese government can stop any acquisitions for any reason and recently tightened up and I am pretty sure that is why MS have not bought anything there. Anything above 10% stock needs approval.

So that dream ain't becoming a reality.

Amazon announced Luna at their latest Hardware showcase (where they show off all their latest hardware - Elexa, etc.) I think it was just timed like this.

Also why would Disney buy Sony? It's a hardware company at heart and Disney is a content creator. Doesn't make sense...

I am surprised that Apple has yet to make a bigger push into the living room though. Surely their AppleTV box is not the end of it...

Plus, what about Netflix? Is it just going to be movies and tv or will they take their expierments in interactive shows and go full on AAA gaming.

The next few years will be interesting but I see a lot of companies falling short and - unfortunately- gamers will pay when they do (Google Stadia says Hi).

Out of those two...Tencent...they are already squeezing Alibaba out of areas using WeChat and blocking Alipay as an option (But they back Epic trying to do the reverse to Apple). In cloud Tencent is behind but gaining. And of course Tencent is already huge in gaming.

Yeah, Disney has no parks functioning rightnow ( properly), no boats/vacation spots, is going to have issues creating new content for theatrical release....this may be short term or may last another 2 years....the only thing bringing money in is going to be Disney+ and merchandising of their IP. Maybe they get back into gaming but biting off Nintendo isnt going to happen, a strategic marketing mashup could I guess.

Yeah, Tenent are huge and growing (and appear to be active in moving into more traditional gaming space). Will be interesting to see what they end up doing over the next 2~3 years.

Kdad

Amazon announced Luna at their latest Hardware showcase (where they show off all their latest hardware - Elexa, etc.) I think it was just timed like this.

Also why would Disney buy Sony? It's a hardware company at heart and Disney is a content creator. Doesn't make sense...

I am surprised that Apple has yet to make a bigger push into the living room though. Surely their AppleTV box is not the end of it...

Plus, what about Netflix? Is it just going to be movies and tv or will they take their expierments in interactive shows and go full on AAA gaming.

The next few years will be interesting but I see a lot of companies falling short and - unfortunately- gamers will pay when they do (Google Stadia says Hi).

Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Studios.
..all content providers....Sony makes hardware but the cash flow is from content and services....can they exist on their own and licence their gaming to all comers like the do in music and movies or do they try and create their service where you can only play Sony games....would their IP be strong enough long term to keep that going .... That said...I cant see Disney buying all of it....maybe Sony Pictures. There are plenty of SONY activist investors wanting SONY to spin off sections to unlock shareholder value so you may see films/music on the sale market (I think Tencent would try and buy anything that comes up)

Last edited:
The Japanese government can stop any acquisitions for any reason and recently tightened up and I am pretty sure that is why MS have not bought anything there. Anything above 10% stock needs approval.

So that dream ain't becoming a reality.
That’s pretty awesome, because I’m sure Nintendo and Sony would’ve been bought out immediately. I’d like both these companies to be as independent as possible.

Hypothetically, I wonder which company Apple would buy. Would they go with gauranteed success of Mario and Co, or go for a little more mature crowd for their gaming platform of Sony?(but also include all of Sony’s other media)

didn't Tensent bought up a lot of Nintendo's stock or something a while ago? I coulda swear I'd heard something like that...

regardless thou, the only reasonable response to any of those suggestions is

9BXteQr.gif

SCB3

Disney doesn't seem that interested in games, they've tried and failed and honestly only seem to buy companies that have big fanbases already, so let's look at that part:

An American company buying a Japanese company is always hard and unlikely, so that rules out Sony and Nintendo

That leaves Microsoft, who are richer than Disney and would never sell Xbox off

Apple again has had chances to enter games and never has, its not needed to really and they content with never doing so

Bryank75

Banned
That’s pretty awesome, because I’m sure Nintendo and Sony would’ve been bought out immediately. I’d like both these companies to be as independent as possible.

Hypothetically, I wonder which company Apple would buy. Would they go with gauranteed success of Mario and Co, or go for a little more mature crowd for their gaming platform of Sony?(but also include all of Sony’s other media)
I would say both bring a lot to the table... Sony have sensors for phones, electronics, a bank that could be folded into apple bank, film that could support apple TV etc and the biggest music catalog in the world and second biggest recording music company along with PlayStation.... but it's a big company and cumbersome.

Nintendo has all those iconic IP's and charm and talent that cant be replicated and universal appeal that doesn't depend a lot on cutting edge tech. It's a more nimble company and has less to manage.

So I think Nintendo would be the cleanest and least difficult.

Now look at these recent events in this context:

- Ongoing social media FUD campaign against market leader Sony

- Bloomberg's fake news broadside against Sony's stock price regarding PS5 production

- Wild "rumors" about Silent Hill, etc. ahead of preorders leading to inevitable disappointment among fanbase when not revealed (demoralization tactic)

- Amazon announces Luna

Seems like Big Tech softening things up for their entry into the market? :pie_thinking:

I would say both bring a lot to the table... Sony have sensors for phones, electronics, a bank that could be folded into apple bank, film that could support apple TV etc and the biggest music catalog in the world and second biggest recording music company along with PlayStation.... but it's a big company and cumbersome.

Nintendo has all those iconic IP's and charm and talent that cant be replicated and universal appeal that doesn't depend a lot on cutting edge tech. It's a more nimble company and has less to manage.

So I think Nintendo would be the cleanest and least difficult.
Fair enough. I would have to agree with you.

Kdad

didn't Tensent bought up a lot of Nintendo's stock or something a while ago? I coulda swear I'd heard something like that...

regardless thou, the only reasonable response to any of those suggestions is

9BXteQr.gif
The top Nintendo share holders all own less than 7% each. The Trust accounts are holding shares in trust for other investors so perhaps there is something at play there but unsure on Japanese banking rules and holding foreign investments in trust accounts...that may or may not be a thing.

The Master Trust Bank of Japan, Ltd. (Trust Account)76,5616.43
JP Morgan Chase Bank 38563275,2636.32
Japan Trustee Services Bank, Ltd. (Trust Account)56,7814.77
The Bank of Kyoto, Ltd.48,8024.10
The Nomura Trust and Banking Co., Ltd. (MUFJ Bank, Ltd. Retiree Allowance Trust Account)42,1093.53
State Street Bank and Trust Company 50501026,1412.19
Japan Trustee Services Bank, Ltd. (Trust Account 5)24,9782.10
SSBTC CLIENT OMNIBUS ACCOUNT22,5451.89
JP Morgan Chase Bank 38515120,6321.73
Japan Trustee Services Bank, Ltd. (Trust Account 7)18,4641.55

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Amazon, Stadia etc. are all “might” “hopefully” and “maybe” PS5 is a guarantee.

CouzinD

It would much more likely to be the “Apple PlayStation” than Disney. Steve Jobs always had a thing for Sony and their design philosophy. The iPod being the Walkman of the 21st century etc. IIRC, Apple considered buying/investing in the Japanese company at one point not so long ago.

Last edited:

Fbh

Just imagine the Apple Switch.
$699, joy cons ($100), charger ($40) and dock ($299) sold separately.

Seriously though, I don't think either of them seem that interest in games. Disney seems happy for now just partnering up with existing devs/publishers and letting them handle stuff, and I think Apple would rather have people playing on their Iphones and Ipads than on a separate piece of hardware.

Last edited:
Just imagine the Apple Switch.
$699, joy cons ($100), charger ($40) and dock ($299) sold separately.

Seriously though, I don't think either of them seem that interest in games. Disney seems happy for now just partner up with existing devs publishers and letting them handle stuff, and I think Apple would rather have people playing on their Iphones and Ipads than on a separate piece of hardware.
seriously man apple would overcharge you on napkins

Top Bottom