• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amiga 500 mini announced

Impotaku

I'm looking forward to playing Lucasarts Nightshift, it's literally my most favourite game on the Amiga. Back in the day it was released on all the systems but i found the Amiga version to be the best one pretty much played all the releases just to see how things changed. I loved all the manuals and stuff you got in the box that explained how the machine parts worked, i sourced a original boxed copy off ebay of the PC release many years ago to get all the manuals and codewheel as well as the bigbox with the original fantastic art so i could play the uncracked version of the amiga version via emulation. For the moment i use winuae but once i get my mini i will be using that to play all the amiga stuff i love, just hoping it has some decent scanline options as i got it looking pretty nice via emulation.
2Tt7PUc.jpg

2uhTGec.jpg

Castef

Banned
I'm looking forward to playing Lucasarts Nightshift, it's literally my most favourite game on the Amiga. Back in the day it was released on all the systems but i found the Amiga version to be the best one pretty much played all the releases just to see how things changed.
What a weird and smart game!

It somehow went under the radar (even if some magazines like "The Games Machine" featured it on the cover).

I never understood why it reminded me of Comic Bakery (even though the two games are quite different).

From my side another nice exclusive I'd play is Bill Tomato Game, very similar to The Incredible Machine and with excellent level design (yet, I'd need a mouse here)

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
What do you play on though? I use my pc and WinUAE with keyboard and mouse support 24/7
And that’s the best combo. I’ve used a pi too. It’s fine until you come up against an adventure or RTs. I also use my switch and that’s bloody awesome. But again. Only for arcade games.

Agent X

It's nice to see an official video for the North American release of this system!

The official site now has the complete list of the 25 games that will be built into the system:

• Alien Breed 3D
  • Alien Breed: Special Edition 92
  • Another World
  • Arcade Pool
  • ATR: All Terrain Racing
  • Battle Chess
  • Cadaver
  • California Games
  • Dragon’s Breath
  • F-16 Combat Pilot
  • Kick Off 2
  • Paradroid 90
  • Pinball Dreams
  • Project-X: Special Edition 93
  • Qwak
  • Simon the Sorcerer
  • Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
  • Stunt Car Racer
  • Super Cars II
  • The Chaos Engine
  • The Lost Patrol
  • The Sentinel
  • Titus the Fox
  • Worms: The Director’s Cut
  • Zool: Ninja Of The "Nth" Dimension

The video announcing the North American release of TheA500 Mini shows all 25 of these games, so it appears that the games will be identical for both Europe and North America (unlike TheC64 and TheC64 Mini, where there were a few different games for each region).

It seems like a good batch of games covering a wide range of genres. There are many other games that I would have liked to see, but this is probably about as good as they could do with licenses that are reasonably obtainable and affordable. Fortunately, like TheC64 and TheC64 Mini, you can load your own games through the use of a USB flash drive.

Marvel14

Banned
£120 is way too much for a system that's approaching 40 years old. Maybe as a collectors item but not as consumer item.

Wheres the ST mini?

No Dungeon Master?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Will be interesting to see how we play F16 Combat Pilot. I know you can plug a USB keyboard in but as the mini is only the size of a dvd case its going to look massive next to it!!

RAIDEN1

The key question is how good is the emulation, but the fact that this has Speedball 2, alone means it is worthy of the purchase seeing as that game has never had a reboot in recent years, and you can't even get it on any console in recent generations....be it 360/PS3..

Agent X

The key question is how good is the emulation, but the fact that this has Speedball 2, alone means it is worthy of the purchase seeing as that game has never had a reboot in recent years, and you can't even get it on any console in recent generations....be it 360/PS3..

There was an updated version called "Speedball 2 Evolution" that was available on PlayStation Minis for PSP and PS3. Here are a couple of reviews.

Keep in mind that this game is single-player only.

RAIDEN1

There was an updated version called "Speedball 2 Evolution" that was available on PlayStation Minis for PSP and PS3. Here are a couple of reviews.

Keep in mind that this game is single-player only.
Yeah not quite the same as having the original...if done right a remake would be awesome..

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Am wondering if people look at Speedball 2 with rose tinted glasses on. If you win both leagues the game just abruptly ends, it’s gets to the point where you just have a bunch of star players with whom you can just keep pressing up and fire at the same time to clatter into the opponents and the result is every few seconds the two medical droids will come on and cart an injured player off. And you can keep on doing this while winning games about 150-0.

Last edited:
Am wondering if people look at Speedball 2 with rose tinted glasses on. If you win both leagues the game just abruptly ends, it’s gets to the point where you just have a bunch of star players with whom you can just keep pressing up and fire at the same time to clatter into the opponents and the result is every few seconds the two medical droids will come on and cart an injured player off. And you can keep on doing this while winning games about 150-0.

Young teenager me did not know this back in launch year of 1990. I think if you went back to a lot of older game exploits are to be found everywhere.

RAIDEN1

Haha. This was also me in 1990. Didnt think it was an exploit thought I’d become shit hot at the game!!
This is news to me that by winning both leagues then that is it, imagine if they made Speedball Manager as the sequel, so you get to be a player coach or just a coach....

nkarafo

25 games? Out of the whole Amiga library?

I mean that's another system that begs to be hacked with a decent set of games and emulators yet again. Just like every other mini console.

How can a modern representative of the Amiga not have any Turrican games? Or Superfrog? Or Cannon Fodder, Jim Power, D-Generation, Agony, Defender of the Crown, the Lotus series, Body Blows or any of the Shadow of the Beast games?

20 or so games were already a drop in the ocean for a Mega Drive or NES or SNES mini but for the Amiga it's nothing. The Amiga was more about a huge quantity of cheaper, lower budget games compared to consoles. It has more games than both the SNES and MD combined. Amiga owners used to have a ton of games compared to Sega/Nintendo owners (not to mention boxes full of floppies of questionable origin). It should have at least 100 games IMO.

So yeah, that's another expensive miniature prop of a real system.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

I mean that's another system that begs to be hacked with a decent set of games and emulators yet again. Just like every other mini console.

How can a modern representative of the Amiga not have any Turrican games? Or Superfrog? Or Cannon Fodder, Jim Power, D-Generation, Agony, Defender of the Crown, the Lotus series, Body Blows or any of the Shadow of the Beast games?

20 or so games were already a drop in the ocean for a Mega Drive or NES or SNES mini but for the Amiga it's nothing. The Amiga was more about a huge quantity of cheaper, lower budget games compared to consoles. It has more games than both the SNES and MD combined. Amiga owners used to have a ton of games compared to Sega/Nintendo owners (not to mention boxes full of floppies of questionable origin). It should have at least 100 games IMO.

..You can add the rest (y)

RAIDEN1

Super Frog was a wannabe Sonic the Hedgehog but nowhere near as good...(even graphically speaking..) Defender of the Crown was a glorified tech demo, and Body Blows was nowhere near as good as Streetfighter 2, let alone Fatal Fury, (I remember a review back when Body Blows was released that the character when controlling them it felt like they were "weightless" ) it was good from a presentation point of view but that's about it...

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's going to be awesome.

I remember playing a demo of Dark Seed back in the day. Very nice graphics.
Probably one of the weirdest, hardest games to date that is just impossible to finish without a guide. I remember buying it and being amazed H.R giger was involved, I was still high off the Alien franchise in the 90's :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Loved it. And that crazy arsed music, even the music doesnt make sense :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Castef

Banned
Super Frog was a wannabe Sonic the Hedgehog but nowhere near as good...(even graphically speaking..)

Yep, Super Frog was a nice "and clean" platform game, yet the best ones for Amiga, gameplay-wise, were:
- Mr Nutz (simply beautiful and way better than the console versions... it even had a Super Mario World style overworld map)

- Zool 2 (much better than the first one)

- James Pond 3: Operation St4rfi5h

- Kid Chaos (a blatant Sonic The Hedgehog Clone, very playable)

RAIDEN1

Yep, Super Frog was a nice "and clean" platform game, yet the best ones for Amiga, gameplay-wise, were:
- Mr Nutz (simply beautiful and way better than the console versions... it even had a Super Mario World style overworld map)

- Zool 2 (much better than the first one)

- James Pond 3: Operation St4rfi5h

- Kid Chaos (a blatant Sonic The Hedgehog Clone, very playable)

Am I correct in thinking Zool 2 had no sound effects just music? Going by that video...

Top Bottom