• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The A2MR Metroid fan team is reuniting for an original Metroidvania

Bullet Club

The A2MR Metroid fan team is reuniting for an original Metroidvania​

Bō: Path of the Teal Lotus will launch on PC and Switch next year

HKQDjGf.jpg

The studio behind Another Metroid 2 Remake, better known as AM2R, is reuniting for a new Metroidvania project.

SquidShock Studios are working on Bō: Path of the Teal Lotus, a hand-drawn Metroidvania title inspired by games such as Hollow Knight and Okami.

The game follows the titular Bō, a staff-wielding Tentaihana, as she uncovers the secrets behind the rise of a mysterious and powerful shogun.

Gp7ViDv.jpg

Players will dash, grapple, hover, and bat objects with their staff to defeat powerful foes, overcome obstacles, and discover new, beautiful worlds to explore.

The game initially began development with a two-person team in 2021, however, following a successful Kickstarter campaign, SquidShock added several members to the team from their previous project.

Milton “DoctorM64” Guasti joins as an associate designer, Esteban “DruidVorse” Criado as the QA lead, and Robert “Sephazon” Maloney as the production and publishing lead.

6pqFU0s.jpg

These developers last worked together on the Metroid fan game Another Metroid 2 Remake as the director, lead playtester, and producer, respectively.

The team plans to launch the game on PC and Nintendo Switch in 2023.

AM2R was an unofficial fan remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus. The game updates the 1991 version with colour, a visual style similar to Super Metroid and gameplay similar to Metroid: Zero Mission.

The game was released in 2016 to celebrate the Metroid series’ thirtieth anniversary.

nJeWefn.jpg

Following the initial release, Nintendo sent several DMCA notices to websites hosting the game, including the official blog and the Metroid Database, forcing their removal and halting the development of future updates.

The following year, Nintendo announced Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS. This was speculated to be the real reason for the aggressive takedown notices, as Nintendo hasn’t taken a blanket stance against fan games in the past, unless they compete with current products.

Source: VGC

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's what talented people should do: Do their thing, instead of seeking troubles with big companies "fOr ThE gAeMeRz!!".

It seems good btw, I'll try to check it later :)

Last edited:

Hugare

I liked the graphics, but the moveset and animations in general is just a copy + paste from Hollow Knight

It's ok to wear your inspiration on your sleeve, but its downright criminal here.

Like, looks like they just changed the character skin while keeping everything else

Really bad look, imo

Last edited:
Which shows how much was stolen from Nintendo IP. The most valuable IP in all of gaming. Stolen and used to boost their careers. And directly impacting their official release on 3DS.
How much of an impact do you feel it made on Samus Returns?

They understand how to make a Metroid game better than those hacks Nintendo paid money to make one. This will be good.
Didn't like Metroid Dread?

jaysius

Banned
Didn't like Metroid Dread?

Those shitty robots were bad filler, the combat was sort of fun, but the robots are inexcusable shit in game design in 2022. The graphic design was fugly. The last boss was meh. Most of the secrets were fun to find, except for the ones that required multiple screen squat boosting.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Which shows how much was stolen from Nintendo IP. The most valuable IP in all of gaming. Stolen and used to boost their careers. And directly impacting their official release on 3DS.
I don't care about Nintendo IPs, I'm talking in general, it's so dumb when a company sends C&D to a fangame dev and the community goes against the company, I mean, it's their fucking IP, like it or not it's their right... Why can't those devs do their thing?

Now, this is a case where those devs are putting those skills on something useful for everyone

kunonabi

Seems to be more Hollow knight inspired than their Metroid work. I'm a fan of Metroidvanias but I'm starting to dislike how much more Vania than Metroid the genre has become.
To be honest the Metroid part has generally always been minimal.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Those shitty robots were bad filler, the combat was sort of fun, but the robots are inexcusable shit in game design in 2022. The graphic design was fugly. The last boss was meh. Most of the secrets were fun to find, except for the ones that required multiple screen squat boosting.
I liked them... Actually I liked everything about that game, best Metroid IMO, maybe... maybe it's the game that is not for you? Hmmmmm

People need to stop throwing around the term "inexcusable game deisgn" as if they're some sort of God-granted authority on game design.
ESPECIALLY when their complaint basically boils down to "Boohooo, this segment is too hard."

Also, describing the final boss as "meh" sounds like an outright edgy take considering most of the mainline Metroid final bosses are either glorified semi-interactive cutscenes, or basic meat sponge giants. For once there's a final boss with actual character and personality, and that's your reaction?

Hope another fan team copies their game and puts it out 6 months before their game releases.

I dunno, "Another Bo Remake" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyway, this looks visually interesting and I hope the AM2R team bounce back from those DMCAs, but I agree with the folks that say it's nearly too much like Hollow Knight in it's mechanics. I hope more gameplay videos shake that up a notch.

jaysius

Banned
People need to stop throwing around the term "inexcusable game deisgn" as if they're some sort of God-granted authority on game design.
ESPECIALLY when their complaint basically boils down to "Boohooo, this segment is too hard."

Also, describing the final boss as "meh" sounds like an outright edgy take considering most of the mainline Metroid final bosses are either glorified semi-interactive cutscenes, or basic meat sponge giants. For once there's a final boss with actual character and personality, and that's your reaction?

I dunno, "Another Bo Remake" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyway, this looks visually interesting and I hope the AM2R team bounce back from those DMCAs, but I agree with the folks that say it's nearly too much like Hollow Knight in it's mechanics. I hope more gameplay videos shake that up a notch.
The segments weren't hard, they had cheap 1 hit kills by the thing, and they had EXACT LOCATIONS that you had to be in to beat those stupid robots, even if you were a mm off of the spot the developer DECIDED YOU HAD TO BE ON in the later fights you'd die. It's bad game design, you're a fanboi of NIntendo and Metroid neither of them can do any wrong, I get it.

There were parts where the game dropped frames even in docked mode, the entire thing wasn't Nintendo quality.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You win worst hot take of the year! Congratulations.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Nintendo can go eat a bag of 12 inch dicks. They have been upped by 2 amateurs with AM2R. Hopefully they learnt their lesson and put more effort with their remakes. Mario 64 in particular was their worst one. Inexcusably low effort for one of the greatest games of all time. Fans are to blame as well, they should have and hold Nintendo to higher standards.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Factually incorrect. You either never actually played the game or suck at it. Get gud.
You people with your pathetically weak arguments, that's the best you've got "You never played it".

I finished the game, it was a all hype it was one of the worst Metroid games, the only other one was was worse was the other game those chumps made.

You can't handle that people don't like your thing, that's truly pathetic.

You people with your pathetically weak arguments, that's the best you've got "You never played it".

I finished the game, it was a all hype it was one of the worst Metroid games, the only other one was was worse was the other game those chumps made.

You can't handle that people don't like your thing, that's truly pathetic.
I literally called out your claim as factually incorrect.
If you had even asked me to prove it was correct, I could had shown you just with YouTube videos of gameplay alone.
The fact that you ignored that line and jumped to the NEXT statement I made, which was a belief I stated because of that prior statement, proves that you already knew I was right.

Now stop derailing this thread with your shit takes, David Jaffe.

jaysius

Banned
I literally called out your claim as factually incorrect.
If you had even asked me to prove it was correct, I could had shown you just with YouTube videos of gameplay alone.
The fact that you ignored that line and jumped to the NEXT statement I made, which was a belief I stated because of that prior statement, proves that you already knew I was right.

Now stop derailing this thread with your shit takes, David Jaffe.
You can't prove anything, you've made up your mind that I haven't played it, when I have finished it. There's no way to prove to you I've finished the game, nor do I need to fucking prove that I've finished the game.

There's no sense trying to converse with people like you.

Go off replay the horrible game again.

LOL at that stupid fucking Jaffe jab it just further shows how strong your logical fallacies are.

Easiest block list addition ever.

You can't prove anything, you've made up your mind that I haven't played it, when I have finished it. There's no way to prove to you I've finished the game, nor do I need to fucking prove that I've finished the game.

There's no sense trying to converse with people like you.

Go off replay the horrible game again.

LOL at that stupid fucking Jaffe jab it just further shows how strong your logical fallacies are.

Easiest block list addition ever.
Then hurry up and block me, instead of throwing "crying lol" emojis at my post, you dumbass.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

The movement puzzles were the highlight of the game for me which was otherwise just "okay".

Top Bottom