• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 20th Anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

wow. 20 years? i feel old. i remember going to the cinema with my friends to see Fellowship. i've only ever owned that movie on VHS lol. by the time TT + ROTK came out i had moved to DVD lol. since getting rid of those copies i never actually owned the movies again. i'd just rent them somewhere.

i recently read the books again and watched the movies too. despite some CGI looking a bit dated they still hold up incredibly well. not sure when i will watch them again.

Yes they rescanned the whole thing in 4K, Jackson supervised the whole thing including Weta touching up the effects and compositing for the higher res. They also restored a shot of Minas Tirith from Two Towers that was removed after test screenings confused it for Helm’s Deep.

wow i didn't know they retouched effects. like i said above i rewatched them recently but it wasn't the 4K versions. maybe i should go rewatch them then :D i remember wanting to buy the blu ray discs but fellowship had some weird tinting problem. is that fixed??

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Peter Jackson was the right man for the job. I still remember so many scenes from the first film even though I haven’t watched it over 12-15 years

What’s exciting to me is that I forgot almost everything that happens in The Two Towers and a great deal of what happens in The Return of the King about 60%-80% of it probably (movies) so it will be fun to re-watch them. Especially The Two Towers. All I can remember was Legolas putting in work with his bow and arrows trying to hold down the castle like fort they were all at. That’s it

Currently reading The Fellowship of the Ring for the first time and soon the next two to follow. It’s so different from the movie but they’re both 10/10 imo

Pagusas

Elden Member
wow. 20 years? i feel old. i remember going to the cinema with my friends to see Fellowship. i've only ever owned that movie on VHS lol. by the time TT + ROTK came out i had moved to DVD lol. since getting rid of those copies i never actually owned the movies again. i'd just rent them somewhere.

i recently read the books again and watched the movies too. despite some CGI looking a bit dated they still hold up incredibly well. not sure when i will watch them again.

wow i didn't know they retouched effects. like i said above i rewatched them recently but it wasn't the 4K versions. maybe i should go rewatch them then :D i remember wanting to buy the blu ray discs but fellowship had some weird tinting problem. is that fixed??

by retouching they mean they added de-noisers, color touchups, and had to remap the brightness scaling to HDR (otherwise if you just strait remap it without any touching up, you'll find any and all grain/artifacts and banding shows up super clearly). You can actually see this on some cheap 4k/hdr upscales of film based older files, anytime highlights are shown that were artificially remapped to HDR, they have an exorbant aount of grain and banding. If you dont touch it up manually it looks horrible, but many releases are just churned out without anyone actually caring about the quality.

In other words, dont take "retouching" to mean they are going to be vastly improved, they'll look as you expect them too, 20 years old, but not worse than the originals, which they would look worse if they hadnt touched them up

Last edited:

llien

Re-watched it recently, together with Hobbit (starting with hobbit) and budget differences are so apparent, it hurts a bit to watch them in that sequence.

Having turned Hobbit into trilogy, LOTR could have easily be turned into entertaining, ahem, 6-9 parts. Sigh. :)

Top Bottom