• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 1880's were the best time period to live in America.

Hugare

1. - If a man had nothing but a horse, saddle, and gun he could build an empire.
  2. -People loved learning and knowledge.

But other than that, the 1880's were undoubtedly the best time to live in human history.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
OP, make that statement, then be any other ethnicity.
But 25% of the cowboys in the old west were black.

Most of the 20th century Hollywood erased the black cowboy from history. Nowhere near the historical percentage of cowboys who were black.

Last edited:

Most of the 20th century Hollywood erased the black cowboy from history. Nowhere near the historical percentage of cowboys who were black.
Oh yeah, that’s right. Black people lives were fantastic then. They weren’t segregated or discriminated against at all. Man, if only it were the 1880’s.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Black people lives were fantastic then.
I'm not saying that. Obviously, discrimination was more prevalent back then.
But what I am saying is that when the West was wild and wide open, people had more control over their destines, including black cowboys, who were complete bad-asses.

Hairy women
Why are dudes so put off by a nice bush?
The hair down there traps in the delicious juices. 👍

Last edited:

sCHOCOLATE

I made it very clear in my first post that I did not wish to give up modern medicine. I've had two complete testicle replacements. If I hadn't been able to have those, I'd be crippled and in constant pain.
From a societal standpoint I long for the values, mores, and customs of the nineteenth century. I'm repelled by what I see today.
Therefore, I have always tried to separate myself from modern American society. But being dependent on modern technology in every way prevents me from doing so.

German Hops leads with:

7. ...feminine virtue was praised. A man who outraged a woman more often than not paid a terrible price.

German Hops discloses:
...I've had two complete testicle replacements.

Is there a correlation?
I don't much care for your brand of hops, German, and I suspect, neither did she.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Interesting as I didn't know that.

To be fair, a shit load of western movies were made long time ago. And at that time, most Hollywood actors were white, especially the famous ones. So movie studios had no choice due to number of actors and bankable revenue to skew to white actors.

In modern day western movies, they could change that image if they want to. But they don't.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Interesting as I didn't know that.

To be fair, a shit load of western movies were made long time ago. And at that time, most Hollywood actors were white, especially the famous ones. So movie studios had no choice due to number of actors and bankable revenue to skew to white actors.

In modern day western movies, they could change that image if they want to. But they don't.
Netflix: The Harder They Fall

Uses actual historical cowboys to tell a fictional story.

Not to mention that back in the 40s to 60s, black folks rarely were stars in mainstream movies and because of how white mainstream Hollywood was, you didn't see black cowboys portrayed. Because of the wholesale erasure of black cowboys in the public conscious, MANY people (not just white) are gobsmacked that there were black cowboys... Especially badazzes like Bill Pickett. Even after The Harder They Fall came out late last year, their stories are STILL little known. That's why black history month is important... So that American history can be known fuller. Unfortunately, Hollywood REALLY convinced people that there were no black cowboys.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Not to mention that back in the 40s to 60s, black folks rarely were stars in mainstream movies and because of how white mainstream Hollywood was, you didn't see black cowboys portrayed. Because of the wholesale erasure of black cowboys in the public conscious, MANY people (not just white) are gobsmacked that there were black cowboys... Especially badazzes like Bill Pickett. Even after The Harder They Fall came out late last year, their stories are STILL little known. That's why black history month is important... So that American history can be known fuller. Unfortunately, Hollywood REALLY convinced people that there were no black cowboys.
Cool. I'll check it out. For western movies, I dont care if it's based on real people or it's a fake story.

I saw 3:10 to Yuma a few weeks ago and thought it was outright stupid. So this should be a good rebound movie.

TheMan

Most people probably don't even know that even the concept of cowboys comes from Mexico...

Lanrutcon

I don't think any time period without easy access to
...toilet paper...
...pain medication...
...dentistry...
...hot water...
...was that great.

Also: have you ever ridden a horse? They stink. Your ass hurts all the time, and when you get thrown off you're probably dead either from the fall or from the inability to properly treat the resulting injuries due to the complete lack of remote medical assistance in the time period.

I'm pretty sure an accurate movie about the wild west would feature a lot of misery and people shitting themselves to death.

I'd watch it.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
...toilet paper...
...pain medication...
...dentistry...
...hot water...
...was that great.

Also: have you ever ridden a horse? They stink. Your ass hurts all the time, and when you get thrown off you're probably dead either from the fall or from the inability to properly treat the resulting injuries due to the complete lack of remote medical assistance in the time period.

I'm pretty sure an accurate move about the wild west would feature a lot of misery and people shitting themselves to death.

I'd watch it.
They made an accurate movie of the wild West it was called bone tomahawk

...toilet paper...
...pain medication...
...dentistry...
...hot water...
...was that great.
This. Modern medicine and hygiene are the two main reasons I wouldn't want to live at any time in history other than now. Given an extreme choice, for example, "do you want to be a very poor, regular nobody in 2022 US, or the King of France in 1300?" I would, every time, without hesitation, choose the 2022 option.

Even as recently as the 60s, lots of people smoked like a chimney, and people wore lots of layers, so everyone smelled bad and every room you walked into smelled bad.

Movies glamorize pretty much any time period they show. But the reality is that people led hard lives, people died young, and people generally were sweaty/stinky/gross.

LavosBit

Neo Member
I don’t remember where I saw it, but on the happiness index, the best year in America was like 1993. I can’t speak for what it was like to be an adult trying to make a living back then, but as a kid, my biggest concern in life was SNES versus Genesis arguments on the school bus and what we were going to rent from Blockbuster that coming weekend. Good times.

Top Bottom