• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 Best Videogames of the 2010s (Paste Magazine)

Starting with #25 for word count limit.

25. Titanfall 2
Year
: 2016
Original platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC
titanfall_2_trailers_main-thumb-688x386-470633.jpg

24. Cuphead
Year
: 2017
Original platforms: Xbox One, PC
Cuphead%20Nostalgia.jpg

23. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Year
: 2013
Original platform: 3DS
Animal%20Crossing%20Mii%20Plaza-thumb-688x387-649038.jpg

22. Stardew Valley
Year
Original platforms: PC, Mac
stardew_story-thumb-688x387-440372.jpg

21. Nier: Automata
Year
nier%20automata%20review%20screen%201-thumb-688x386-585786.jpg

20. No Man’s Sky
Year
Original platforms: PlayStation 4, PC
uklotigal_itley_one-thumb-688x387-494183.jpg

19. Florence
Year
: 2018
Original platforms: iOS, Android
florence%20holly%20best%20of%202018.jpg

18. Return of the Obra Dinn
Year
: 2018
ReturnOfTheObraDinn-thumb-688x387-511870.png

17. Undertale
Year
: 2015
undertale_decade.jpg

16. Alan Wake
Year
: 2010
Original platforms: Xbox 360
alanwake_decade.jpg

15. Minecraft
Year
: 2011
Original platforms: PC, Mac, iOS, Android
minecraft_decade.jpg

14. Outer Wilds
Year
: 2019
Original platforms: Xbox One, PC
outer%20wilds%20e3%20best%202018.jpg

13. Papers, Please
Year
papersplease_decade.jpg

12. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Year
Original platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PC
TES%20Skyrim%20by%20Bethesda.jpg

11. Bastion
Year
Original platform: Xbox 360
bastion_decade.jpg

10. Gone Home
Year
gone%20home%201.png

9. Portal 2
Year
Original platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC
portal_2_decade.jpg

8. Super Mario Odyssey
Year
Original platforms: Switch
Super-Mario-Odyssey-by-Nintendo-of-America-thumb-688x386-614199.jpg

7. Dark Souls
Year
Original platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
dark_souls_decade.jpg

6. Control
Year
: 2019
control_decade.jpg

5. Mass Effect 2
Year
: 2010
Original platforms: Xbox 360, PC
mass_effect_2_decade.jpg

4. Spelunky
Year
: 2012
Original platforms: Xbox 360
spelunky_decade.jpg

3. Kentucky Route Zero
Year
: 2013-2016
Original platforms: PC
kentucky_route_zero_decade.png

2. Thumper
Year
Original platforms: PlayStation 4, PC
thumper_release_main-thumb-688x386-477864.jpg

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Year
Original platforms: Switch
zelda%20breath%20of%20the%20wild%20screen.jpg

dirthead

Banned
I was looking at Pitchfork's list of the best albums of the 2010s, and I'm looking at the games released this decade...

YIKES.

Something's off. I can blame it all on simply being elderly, but that's not really what it is. Shit just sucks. One more decade like this one and I think I'm out. Going to be full time MAME/emulation.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was looking at Pitchfork's list of the best albums of the 2010s, and I'm looking at the games released this decade...

YIKES.

Something's off. I can blame it all on simply being elderly, but that's not really what it is. Shit just sucks. One more decade like this one and I think I'm out. Going to be full time MAME/emulation.

It’s just gonna get worse man. Next gen will be all GAAS and battle pass all the time.

And FFS stop reading Pitchfork.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
FEZ, Dying light, The Disney Infinity Series , Super Hexagon , Guitar Hero Live , Saints Row IV , Rock Band 3, Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds , VVVVVV , Nidhogg , Proteus , XCOM: Enemy Unknown , Overwatch No Man’s Sky , Control .

giphy.gif

Not only Horrible games... These games are super-boring... Guitar Hero Live was Good but they fail the stupid free-to play- mode in Live and the servers closed...sometimes I regret buying the guitar bundle

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Control is a great game and it's a contender for me, but personally my GOTY is God of War (yeah I know it's a 2018 game, and I'm late)

Last edited:
A lot of the write-ups for these games are extremely pretentious and horrible. Look at the entry for Kentucky Route Zero:

Kentucky Route Zero has always seemed to be a game about rest. The experience of playing the game itself is noticeably muted, and while the pacing isn’t exactly slow, there’s a meandering quality to it. The game itself asks very little of the player, as if it was created with the weary and heavy-laden in mind.

By now I’m starting to view Kentucky Route Zero as a game about discovering how to rest. We all have a good idea of how to physically rest; just lay down, close your eyes, and fall asleep. The next day, we’re back to normal, given enough time in slumber. But how does a spiritually exhausted person rest? How do we recharge our tired souls?—Richard Clark

I can't get through a read of this without laughing. Imagine gazing this deep and lovingly into your naval.

Bigrx1

Banned
Seems to be a fairly pretentious list to look cool, hip and indie. Even a lot of the AAA titles on the list are a little more "weird and quirky" leaning.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kinda weird list... but not looked beyond 25 posted here. Ds1,2,3 and bloodborne all should be higher. These are the best games ever. Not only of 2010s
Control should switch places with Alan Wake (Control is nowhere near as good as AW)
Titanfall 2 is about where it should be or could be lower. I think it was overrated.
Saints Row 3 would be almost in first 10 on my list. Gears 3 also deserves to be there.

Not played outer wilds and florence... that florence game looks bad tho. Thumper number 2 ?! Rythm game... really ?! No man sky does not deserve to be this high too. Gone Home I liked... but Firewatch was better game.

brian0057

Banned
Breath of the Wild ahead of Dark Souls, Witcher, Bloodborne, Skyrim, AND Mass Effect?

source.gif
I'm Ok with that one.
If it were the original Mass Effect instead of the inferior sequel, It'd be another story.
And Dragon Age Origins is better than the other four.
This one hurts the most.
Alien: Isolation is a horror masterpiece and not seeing it anywhere on the list is BS.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Wow wow wow... what a terrible list.

Looks like they really have no clue. I will be avoiding that site forevermore.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not that bad of a list, actually. Much better than most dedicated gaming websites, who tend to spill 90% of their nuts for console releases and then divvy up that last 10% for mobile and PC. Surprised to see stuff like Superhot, Spelunky, Threes, FTL, and Nidhogg.

That #1... :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

No Diablo III tho :(

well that is a strange list, the 2010s are not over yet, and well some of the top 25 choices are not worthy according to my objective opinion.

Top Bottom