• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 10 Worst Video Games of 2022

Draugoth

Gold Member
52/100 #10: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition (Switch)

s2365_gp6798_1670892774.jpg

An "enhanced" port of a fairly good 1997 point-and-click sci-fi adventure game set within the same universe as the first Blade Runner film, this remaster was not the hit that the original was. In fact, it wasn't even as good as an unofficial port released for PC a few years ago. Critics and users complained about the new graphics and numerous glitches.

“Finding anything positive about the new (sic) Blade Runner is almost impossible. The time-honored legend didn't age well in the remastered edition after 25 years, and perhaps it would be better if it remained only in our memories." —SECTOR.sk

51/100 #9: Kamiwaza: Way of the Thief (PS4)

s2365_gp6799_1670892775.jpg

A third-person action/stealth game places you in the role of Ebizo, an "honorable thief" trying to survive on the streets of Mikado. The game, a remaster of a Japan-only 2006 title also released for Switch and PC, received a few positive reviews, but most critics felt that Kamiwaza didn't age well at all.

“A fascinating glimpse into the twilight era of the stealth genre but the outdated gameplay and awkward controls make it difficult to be all that nostalgic about it." —Metro GameCentral

51/100 #8: The Waylanders (PC)

s2365_gp6800_1670892775.jpg

An RPG with real-time combat set in two different eras in Galicia, this PC exclusive from Spanish studio Gato began as a Kickstarter project that cited Dragon Age: Origins and Baldur's Gate as inspirations. But The Waylanders didn't come anywhere near the heights established by those titles, as a buggy launch turned into ... well, a game that remains buggy to this day.

"The Waylanders tries to imitate a variety of mechanics from leaders of the RPG genre, but fails to implement any of them effectively, while offering nothing original apart from the astonishingly poor dialogue." —New Game Network

50/100 #7: The Last Oricru (Xbox Series X)

s2365_gp6801_1670892775.jpg

A Souls-inspired, story-driven sci-fi action-RPG title that follows an immortal warrior who crash-lands on a medieval planet on the brink of war, The Last Oricru failed to impress reviewers, who didn't appreciate the "charms" of its protagonist, the poor writing, and clunky gameplay.

“The Last Oricru is a masterpiece of bad design. When a game has to warn its players not to invest in half the available skill points because they’re worthless, you know you’ve got something special, and that’s what Oricru is - special. It’s so profoundly wrong it deserves to be studied, dissected, remembered for years. Its creators should tour universities and give talks about their artistic philosophies so future generations can learn how never to make a videogame. If you’d told me aliens had developed it, I’d struggle to argue, such is the incomprehensible absurdity on display...I am in awe of such a marvel." —The Jimquisition

46/100 #6: Zorro: The Chronicles (PS5)

s2365_gp6802_1670892775.jpg

An early patch eliminated some of the bugs, and its target audience is 6-12-year-olds, but even with those caveats, this humorous action game set in 1800s California and based on the animated TV series of the same name failed to bring delight to critics.

“Zorro presents a game meant for young kids, but the developer underestimates a bit what the standard is these days. This makes only the youngest kids will get some fun out of it. For the rest, it's a disappointment. The game is too easy, does nothing special and has little variation. There are also annoying bugs that make [Zorro: The Chronicles] a game to avoid." —PlaySense

46/100 #5: LEGO Brawls (PS5)

s2365_gp6803_1670892775.jpg

It's the first team action brawler set in the LEGO universe ... and quite possibly the last, judging from the reactions from critics and gamers. The problem: It's a port of a mobile game (first released in 2019) that boasts few upgrades—and shockingly little depth—in its console form to justify a $40 pricetag.

“I really wanted to like Lego Brawls, it is such a cool idea. Sadly the fact is, it is just a bad game. Not bad in an overly broken or offensive way. Bad because it seems to delight in mediocrity. Everything feels half-baked and half-realised, kind of like my 16-year-old’s homework, and it means it quickly squandered any potential in the idea of a Lego Smash Bros." —Player 2

43/100:XEL (Switch)

s2365_gp6804_1670892775.jpg

A 3D, open-world platformer set in a mysterious world that blends sci-fi and fantasy elements, Xel may get a few points for visuals and its original story. But don't mistake Xel for Zelda: The former is so unpolished and frustrating that few gamers will have much fun playing it. And the problems aren't just on Switch: A PC version received similarly poor reviews.

“I think there’s a solid game here under all the technical issues, but it’s hard to say. XEL’s combat and time-based puzzles are satisfying, the setting and narrative are engaging, and its aesthetically charming. But until those issues are addressed, XEL is largely unplayable. I’ve spent way more time dealing with those issues than I have playing the game. I’d like to revisit it in the future, assuming it gets fixed." —Hey Poor Player

41/100 #3: Babylon's Fall (PS5)

s2365_gp6805_1670892775.jpg

The highest-profile gaming dud of 2022—but somehow not quite the worst game of the year—Babylon's Fall is an all-new IP from Bayonetta studio PlatinumGames that blends RPG and hack-and-slash action in a fantasy world dominated by a giant tower. Reviews were ugly from the start—as ugly as Babylon's visuals, perhaps—and no one showed up to play it, resulting in an usually quick termination: The publisher is shutting down Babylon's servers on February 27, 2023, rendering the online-only game unplayable.

“From a dismal effort on the front of graphics, user interface, player onboarding, sound design, and essentially every other aspect of game design, Babylon’s Fall is a failure. Games have bounced back from disastrous launches in the past, but in this case, I feel like it may be best to let sleeping dogs lie. The game’s one and only saving grace is that Platinum Games truly are the kings of combat, and while Babylon’s Fall is nowhere near the top of their collection of works, hacking and slashing your way through the Tower of Babel is at least, occasionally, kind of fun. It is just a crying shame that there is very little else to enjoy from the game; there isn’t anything pretty to look at, nice to listen to, or easy to engage with." —Checkpoint Gaming

33/100 #2: CrossfireX (Xbox Series X)

s2365_gp6806_1670892775.jpg

The latest entry in the globally popular 15-year-old shooter franchise, the Xbox-exclusive Crossfire X found publisher Smilegate enlisting Remedy Entertainment (of Alan Wake fame) to deepen Crossfire's story and create a single-player campaign alongside Smilegate's own multiplayer portion, released as a free-to-play title like its predecessors. And how did that go? (Checks Metascore ...) Oh my. PlayStation owners: You're not missing much.

“CrossFireX gets little to nothing right, and I don’t take pleasure in saying that. On a technical level, yeah the graphics and framerate and such aren’t bad, but you won’t get to enjoy them because I think you’ll be too distracted with all of the other problems in the game. Voice-acting, the script, the AI, controls, story-telling, the intensely lazy and generic feel of it all, the push for microtransactions — the game is asking players to overlook or otherwise deal with too much. Now, I am an optimistic and forgiving person by nature, but what SmileGate, Remedy, and Microsoft have done here is absolutely regrettable. This game has issues that even patching cannot fix, and I’m typically the first one to point out that games can often be much improved by patching. CrossFireX, though, has problems that run too deep and too broad — and I can’t recommend this game to anyone." —Digital Chumps

30:100 #1: POSTAL 4: No Regerts (PC)

s2365_gp6807_1670892776.jpg

Metacritic's Official Worst Game of 2022.

Regerts? We've had a few—including reading anything about this violent FPS, a sequel to 2003's less terrible Postal 2 (but not to 2011's somehow even worse Postal III). Emerging in April (on 4/20, naturally) after a few years in Early Access with seemingly all of its bugs intact, Postal 4 is at least open about its terribleness—the pull quotes in its promotional materials are as bad as the one below. But even fans of the franchise's puerile sense of humor weren't laughing about the new game's cheap and broken feel.

Even spellcheck hates this game.

“Postal 4: No Regerts is devoid of humor and anything close to approaching fun or engaging mechanics. The only things it has in spades are constant technical issues that only compound the game's lengthy checklist of egregious shortcomings. ... There's nothing redeemable about this game. It's a genuinely awful experience that should be avoided at all costs." —GameSpot

Last edited:
The campaign was actually fun. It's one of the few games that proves why actually trying out a game instead of relying on someone that isn't you to decide for you, is not the right option. That said, if I had to pay money for it outside of Game Pass, I'd probably consider it a very poor value on my return.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
38 seems wildly exaggerated. The game isn't great though, but it's playable. The multi-player is too. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but I played the campaign for a few hours and some multiplayer matches then deleted it.

38 seems wildly exaggerated. The game isn't great though, but it's playable. The multi-player is too. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but I played the campaign for a few hours and some multiplayer matches then deleted it.
I suspect the hype surrounding it and Remedy being attached to the project only to see the end product was disappointing probably caused a lot of reviewers to knock it down even further. It's at worst a 5/10, at best a 6/10.

anthony2690

Banned
Why did you choose to focus just on Xbox's worst rated game when you have all the other platforms there?

I know you can do better than this console warring. Produce some meaningful content.
I thought the exact same thing, he could've just gave the full top 10 list, what would've gave better discussion.

I guess this explains why they always omit Xbox when they upload trailer posts like sf6 etc. (I do wish posters would include all platforms in their posts when posting a trailer, it saves me a Google search to see if it is available to me)

Everyone knows Babylons Fall was pound for pound the worst, given that it was a high profile game from Platinum, in the action wheelhouse they're comfortable in (coming off of the very well-reviewed Nier Automata).

chixdiggit

Why did you choose to focus just on Xbox's worst rated game when you have all the other platforms there?

I know you can do better than this console warring. Produce some meaningful content.
Ranking for worst top 10 list by platform:
  • Nintendo: 2
  • PC: 2
  • Xbox: 2
  • Sony: 4
With Sony having double the titles on the list looks like they should be the main focus here. Please change thread title accordingly.

Lupin25

Just seen a list with this, LEGO Brawls, and Babylon’s Fall at the top.

It’s that time for all the best/worst-of lists so this is no different, I guess.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
With Sony having double the titles on the list looks like they should be the main focus here. Please change thread title accordingly.
Why? So you can feel better? The title is accurate. The worst Xbox game. You could always make a separate thread.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why didnt you just title this as MetaCritic 10 worst games of the year?
Why single out the number 2 game and Xbox specifically?

79bceb5f-f6be-4d8f-80d6-e81d0c3b6103_text.gif

On Topic
Rigged.
Rigged!!!.
Rigged!!!!!.

Babylons Fall has to be number 2.
CrossFireX is actually still active.

Babylons Fall got its shutdown notice before people could even finish installing the game.

And yes Babylons Fall has already been announced to be shutting down its servers Feb 2023.
Literally the shortest amount of time they could rent them for.

To everyone who actually bought that game.
giphy.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Weird to focus specifically on the second worst game of the year.

I'm sure it's just an innocent oversight ... right ?

Last edited:

sainraja

You are showing your bias. 3 of the ones you are including as Sony are multi-platform titles, also available on Xbox. There is one title in that list that isn't on Xbox but it is available on every other platform. Babylon's Fall is the only Sony title (like CrossFireX, it is exclusive). Please change your post accordingly.

(I know that is how they are showing it too — but you chose to omit the info I am highlighting)

Last edited:

chixdiggit

You are showing your bias. 3 of the ones you are including as Sony are multi-platform titles, also available on Xbox. There is one title in that list that isn't on Xbox but it is available on every other platform. Babylon's Fall is the only Sony title (like CrossFireX, it is exclusive). Please change your post accordingly.

(I know that is how they are showing it too — but you chose to omit the info I am highlighting)
LOL sorry I thought the post was obvious. I don't give a shit either way. Post was just meant to show how silly the original post was.

sainraja

LOL sorry I thought the post was obvious. I don't give a shit either way. Post was just meant to show how silly the original post was.
Haha, no worries then....and yeah it may have been better to create this thread to discuss all the games in that list but given the person who posted it, I don't know if he had any other type of intent.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
My post is my example. Instead of resorting to console warring I advised him and made a suggestion. If you mean I should open some threads, sorry but I don't have any meaningful themes for new threads so I don't open them.
Ok. Just that in my opinion this could have been formulated better. And yes I was meaning for you to open new threads if you consider that one not good enough.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Why didnt you just title this as MetaCritic 10 worst games of the year?
Why single out the number 2 game and Xbox specifically?

79bceb5f-f6be-4d8f-80d6-e81d0c3b6103_text.gif

On Topic
Rigged.
Rigged!!!.
Rigged!!!!!.

Babylons Fall has to be number 2.
CrossFireX is actually still active.

Babylons Fall got its shutdown notice before people could even finish installing the game.

And yes Babylons Fall has already been announced to be shutting down its servers Feb 2023.
Literally the shortest amount of time they could rent them for.

To everyone who actually bought that game.
giphy.gif

fixed

xrnzaaas

Blade Runner releasing in horrible state and still being in poor state after the patches is a big disappointment. I didn't expect that from Nightdive, guess they can't be trusted in the future.

Top Bottom