• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGA's 2020 Game of the Year: The Last of US: Part II

Deserving?

• Total voters

morelan

It's a very good game, and I had fun playing it, but I agree with many criticisms about the game's narrative, especially about how Ellie acts at the ending. It makes me worry that this is supposedly the best narrative the medium had to offer this year.

ksdixon

Personally I am conflicted. I absolutely HATED the story on TLOU2, but the gameplay and visuals were stellar. I also still want the Factions MP mode or standalone game.

I suppose in the end it's good that TLOU2 won awards, deserved or not, because it heightens the probability of a TLOU3 (hopefully without Neil writing), and heightens the probability of TLOU2 Factions not being killed-off (where there is hopefully no story involved); despite me not personally thinking it was worth GOTY.

VulcanRaven

TLOU 2 is in no way, shape or form a GOTY. It is a mediocre to good game at best. However, since there was this narrative of 'haters' not liking the game, the gaming industry went into compensate mode by awarding almost all awards to TLOU2. If they could, they would have given all the awards to TLOU2. Moral of the Story: If the game in question features LGBTQ characters, you CANNOT criticise it in any shape or form; doing so will earn you the ire of internet people at best; at worst, it may cost you your livelihood.

My friends, it truly is, a clown world.

Ghosts did win. It won the only thing that matters, which is popular fan vote. With the way the industry is today, it's not a surprise TLOU2 won, despite being mixed reviewed vs. Ghosts, which received universal praise.
Yeah, I just wish it won GOTY. Fan vote wins are excellent, but winning goty would increase attention and interest towards Sucker Punch.

Moogle11

Banned
Deserving IMO. I’m torn between how to rank TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and FF7 Remake in my own list. Easily three of my favorite games of the generation, much less 2020.

Just strange that she decided that specific moment to be shocked at her actions, and not when when she smashed-in the head of three guys right before or exploded that girl and her dog with a pipe bomb.
I guess its the old video game ultimatum where whatever happens outside cutscenes doesn't count.

The context is she is fighting for her life in combat, either self defence or aggressive survival

In the cut scene she is torturing someone, something she has never done before, and as the scene cuts we have no idea how long it took for the women to give up her friends.

Could have been smashing her to bits for hours while the women also slowly turns. Fucking brutal basically.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The context is she is fighting for her life in combat, either self defence or aggressive survival

In the cut scene she is torturing someone, something she has never done before, and as the scene cuts we have no idea how long it took for the women to give up her friends.

Could have been smashing her to bits for hours while the women also slowly turns. Fucking brutal basically.
So instead of violently beating a person she has every intention to kill, multiple times, shes violently beating a person she has every intention to kill while asking questions. Ok, half decent explanation.... not.
If Druckmann really thought that would pass, it just further shows me he has no idea how people work.

It honestly wouldn't even be that hard to fix this. Keep track of the player's action, and depending on how you went about the cutscene would go slightly different. The 'normal' cutscene would appear if you have been playing more peacefully so far. If you went for a more gory route, a cutscene implying shes growing accostumed to violence, like girlfriend asking "Are you okay?" after learning she tortured someone and Ellie just answering something like "Yes, whats the matter?" with a slightly confused expression (how fucking cool that could've been). Pretty sure they could've fit that somewhere in their enormous budget, too bad Druckmann has no creativity.

Last edited:
So instead of violently beating a person she has every intention to kill, multiple times, shes violently beating a person she has every intention to kill while asking questions. Ok, half decent explanation.... not.
If Druckmann really thought that would pass, it just further shows me he has no idea how people work.

It honestly wouldn't even be that hard to fix this. Keep track of the player's action, and depending on how you went about the cutscene would go slightly different. The 'normal' cutscene would appear if you have been playing more peacefully so far. A cutscene implying shes growing accostumed to violence, like girlfriend asking "Are you okay?" after learning she tortured someone and Ellie just answering something like "Yes, whats the matter?" with a slightly confused expression (how fucking cool that could've been). Pretty sure they could've fit that somewhere in their enormous budget, too bad Druckmann has no creativity.

Yeah just ignore the context of the scene and break it down to base actions and it makes no sense. Not.

Last of us is not a choose your own adventure game and people need to quit trying to make it one.

BTW for anyone, Ghosts binary decision at the end of the game is embarrassing and is what helps keeps it out of the big boy pool for narrative

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Yeah just ignore the context of the scene and break it down to base actions and makes no sense. Not.
The context is hardly any different here though. For Ellie, there shouldn't be any difference between this specific woman and the random guards she killed not long before. They are all just "people in her way". She has seen guts, heads smashed in, people crying and begging, often by her own hands. Why it suddenly gets to her for this specific woman?

I'll Tell you why, its because this woman is a "key character", and in the eyes of our genious director only "key characters" are truly human. Random mobs aren't 'actual people' are they? Sure we'll throw in some random names for them, we'll make Abby feel sorta of sad about their faceless and featureless corpses inside body bags because she's such a cool and caring person, but cannon fodder like them don't need any humanity beyond that do they?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Last of us is not a choose your own adventure game and people need to quit trying to make it one.
What i said doesn't make it one.

BTW for anyone, Ghosts binary decision at the end of the game is embarrassing and is what helps keeps it out of the big boy pool for narrative
'cause apparently big boys narratives can't have branched storylines for some reason. Though i don't really think binary decision at the end could've save this trainwreck.

Dr Kaneda

I find it really strange how some people on here and most people on REEEEEra look desperately to video games to confirm their political beliefs, and any that don't are trash and any that do are GOTY.

I'm someone that isn't crazy about TLoU1. I played it literally on release date so I understand the context it received praise in, I'm not coming at this from a ~7 years later revisionist viewpoint. Yes that game had a narrative, atmosphere and world building that was very good at the time. Of course it wasn't the only game ever made at the time that had stuff like that, but it was definitely a part of the upper echelons.

But the thing is for me you can only experience the narrative and atmosphere once. After that the "freshness" and compelling nature of it is gone. And when that happens it's the gameplay that needs to stand up on it's own and I don't think TLoU1 has great gameplay. Yeah it's decent, it's enjoyable at times, it's serviceable and compelling enough keep you hook while you experience the story but it doesn't lend it's self to being enjoyed on it's own. I've tried to replay TLoU1 multiple times since and I just can't, the gameplay play just isn't engage enough on it's own.

TLoU2 is the opposite. The gameplay is actually stellar. Extremely enjoyable. Yeah in general the story isn't as good as the 1st game, but honestly if you're rational enough not to seethe uncontrollably at the mere sight of a slightly muscular women then there's actually some good moments in the story. It's definitely interesting and compelling enough to where you want to see what happens. It's not "OMG THIS IS THE BEST STORY IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY, OSCAR LEVEL!!!1" shit or anything, but it's alright. Countless video games have far worse stories that don't get nitpicked this much.

Yeah overall it's good choice from GOTY imo. I can see people disagreeing and having other games ahead of it, but you're honestly irrational if you seriously can't even entertain the idea that this might be a good game that's just not to your taste and that you think it's objectively beyond a doubt shit.

MiguelItUp

As much as I personally wanted Ghosts to win, I think it was clear TLOU2 was going to win regardless. TLOU and Naughty Dog fans are dedicated and plentiful.

A lot was put into the game whether you like it or not, it's a shame not everyone realizes that. It's a beautiful game that improved in almost every way prior to the original game.

But on the same coin, hardcore fans love to talk to me like I'm some kind of hater when I thought it was a fine game, just not the second coming, lmao. 🤷‍♂️

Really though, as long as a specific developer and publisher puts out a title, the VGA winners are pretty predictable.

DonJimbo

Best Innovation in Accessibility

what is that about?
Making usability interface and experience as much easy and accessible that all people even those who are disabled can enjoy the game for example for people who are colourblind etc
Usability and accessiblity is all about customer satisfaction

Last edited:

taizuke

The biggest criticism i can agree with is the pacing. On my first playthrough i hardly noticed but on subsequent plays it definitely shows. Now, i believe this was done on purpose to make the player feel how long and exhausting the journey to revenge can be. Still, valid criticism in my opinion.

That said, well deserved. The story despite it's pacing issues is still incredible and pretty much everything else is top notch.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Absolutely phenomenal game and completely deserving.

Without a doubt the best gaming experience I’ve had this year.

Congratulations to Naughty Dog!

thelastword

Banned
Best game this generation, most intense game I've played all gen........Well what's next? GOTG awards and some stellar sales numbers to follow......I hope the haters give it a rest, I know greatness like TLOU2 hurts persons who normally only dip into games with much less quality. Push the devs you like to aspire to ND quality instead of hating and trying your best to get an ND game to rubbish quality like 60 and 69% on Meta....It didn't work, move on and some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for all the FUD you planted out there on the game and studio, thank goodness reviewers are not swayed by rabid fan trolls.......Journos loved the ever living daylights out of LOU2 and sure silenced the folk who thought this would be a 60 meta game......So post how many more memes of ABBY as you like...I have never seen a girl glow so much with success, accolades upon accolades, success upon success, is simply the best hater repellant....

Top Bottom