• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TGA 2020] Returnal Gameplay Trailer (4K - PS5). March 19, 2021 Release

Yoboman

4dc.gif

This could very well make it or break it for Housemarque. They've had mostly misses (commercially) since Resogun. Returnal looks like the highest budget game they've ever done. If this is a dud too they could be in real trouble.

I agree, this is worrying to me. They're a talented developer when focused on what they're good at, which is smaller scoped games.

This seems to be taking the bullet hell aspect in gameplay, while shoving it into a TPS with AAA production values with a very boring realistic graphical style and then slapping on a rogue-like element on top of it.

This game feels desperate, idk why, but it does to me.

VN1X

Banned
I haven't kept up with this title all that much but is this like a roguelike thing then? Or is it more arcadey like their previous titles?

White-fire

Seems as bit insane that this is £70. Aren't they an AA developer at best?

Games studios expand and contract all the time, why does it matter what they have done before? It’s all about that Housemarque is doing right now, this is how pricing and budgets work in the AAA space.

Blond

Banned
The game looks pretty good to me. That $69.99 price tag pisses me off though, can’t exactly put my finger on it; maybe it didn’t bother me as much with Demons Souls because I knew I’d end up playing it for 50 hours minimum.

people paid 80 dollars for Doom and Mortal Kombat so I’m not sure why people complain so much. Games now are better than they’ve ever been and I’ll argue that fact into the ground. Nothing about Mortal Kombat Trilogy aka Mugen Edition was worth the asking price or even Doom 64 or Turok for that matter.

326Pjwb.jpg

Entroyp

people paid 80 dollars for Doom and Mortal Kombat so I’m not sure why people complain so much. Games now are better than they’ve ever been and I’ll argue that fact into the ground. Nothing about Mortal Kombat Trilogy aka Mugen Edition was worth the asking price or even Doom 64 or Turok for that matter.

326Pjwb.jpg

It’s because of gamepass. Suckers think games grow on trees now.

The gameplay looks great. I'm not too sure about the cat lady lesbian mc though. Also, at $70 I won't be picking it up at launch.

Gameplay looks awesome. You can tell you're going to be challenged somewhat just to get used to that player mobility and moveset in order to defeat enemies in the arena. In that sense it's like the new Doom's but expanded even more.

Sony needs to market this game with State of Plays, and a GameInformer cover issue.

Last edited:

truth411

I agree, this is worrying to me. They're a talented developer when focused on what they're good at, which is smaller scoped games.

This seems to be taking the bullet hell aspect in gameplay, while shoving it into a TPS with AAA production values with a very boring realistic graphical style and then slapping on a rogue-like element on top of it.

This game feels desperate, idk why, but it does to me.
Lol, that's reaching. Its Alienation and Metriod Prime having a baby with Rogue like elements, it looks awesome!

I'm sure this game will be fine but why do devs have to throw all these fucking effects at you on screen?

I can't see shit with these fucking neon lights, particles streaking across the screen every second of every combat moment. I really hope they tone down this shit. I want to be able to see what i'm shooting at, JESUS

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

I'm sure this game will be fine but why do devs have to throw all these fucking effects at you on screen?

I can't see shit with these fucking neon lights, particles streaking across the screen every second of every combat moment. I really hope they tone down this shit. I want to be able to see what i'm shooting at, JESUS

Have you ever played a Housemarque game? Their games are literally full of neon lights and particles.

Have you ever played a Housemarque game? Their games are literally full of neon lights and particles.
Can't say I have. I have the same issue with fucking Godfall.
I hope we don't get more developers who decide to throw all these effects at you just because they have more compute horsepower in these new consoles.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nope. I can't find it anywhere around these parts. Always out of stock.

I believe that by february I might be able to get one.

If you really want a PS5 ASAP...

Get on Twitter.

Follow guys like Linus Wilson...

There's a handful of PS5 "drop" accounts. It's best to follow a few as these guys have to sleep.

Turn notifications on so your phone vibrates when they Tweet, and follow their instructions.

The Series X just became relatively easy to get using this method as it stays "in stock" for 15-30 minutes during the Target or Walmart drops.

The PS5 is still hard to get as they sell out instantly, but I get the feeling demand will ease up later this month for the PS5.

I'd wait a few more weeks as it fucks with your sleep schedule and not getting one + being tired is lame.

I just got the SX a few days ago, but I've turned off notifications for the PS5. I'll turn them back on again a week or two before Destruction All Stars launches as that's the first game I'm interested in.

Aion002

If you really want a PS5 ASAP...

Get on Twitter.

Follow guys like Linus Wilson...

There's a handful of PS5 "drop" accounts. It's best to follow a few as these guys have to sleep.

Turn notifications on so your phone vibrates when they Tweet, and follow their instructions.

The Series X just became relatively easy to get using this method as it stays "in stock" for 15-30 minutes during the Target or Walmart drops.

The PS5 is still hard to get as they sell out instantly, but I get the feeling demand will ease up later this month for the PS5.

I'd wait a few more weeks as it fucks with your sleep schedule and not getting one + being tired is lame.

I just got the SX a few days ago, but I've turned off notifications for the PS5. I'll turn them back on again a week or two before Destruction All Stars launches as that's the first game I'm interested in.

Thanks.

But I rather just go to a store and get one when is available.

I don't know, but going to the store and buying it directly for me is already part of the "experience" in getting a new console. I just leave the store feeling good. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Nonetheless, that's a good plan!

MastaKiiLA

Can't say I have. I have the same issue with fucking Godfall.
I hope we don't get more developers who decide to throw all these effects at you just because they have more compute horsepower in these new consoles.
If you played Super Stardust HD, or Resogun, this is Housemarque's calling card. What's your issue with the effects anyway? It gives the game some added wow factor to compliment the frenzied combat.

Top Bottom