• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texture Archaeology: cobble_stone - the texture of your childhood

Kuranghi

Render96 are creating a high-res texture mod for the PC port which uses the original source graphics, and it looks fucking terrifying

We've strayed too far from god imo.

Wow this is actually really faithful and the animations almost perfect. I saw another mod for 64 recently when the "PC version" came out and it was horrendous. They should redraw the UI though, rather than just upscale it.

The issue is I still think this doesn't ultimately work, you can't change the shading style to something more modern and keep the same basic models (Even if its many more polygons I know) because everything starts to look like Lego/plastic and it doesn't fit the aesthetic of the old game, which is kinda... dusty? I don't know how to describe it in words really. Its due to the rendering techniques/HW of course and not just artistic vision but I don't know if they would've made it look like this if they could've, maybe it would have looked like the modern 2D games with the "old titles manual/concept art" style graphics.

I'd still say play the OG game but if you have to have sharper/more modern graphics and higher perceived fps then I'd say this is pretty faithful work. Bowser does look like he's put on too much fake tan though lol

Last edited:

Moonjt9

This video is awesome. So cool to see more deep dives into how those classic games were made. Really creative use of textures and stuff!

Top Bottom