• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas ex-officer says shooting that killed teen justified

DALLAS (AP) — A white former suburban Dallas police officer who fired into a moving car carrying five black teenagers, killing one of them, says in a court filing that his actions were justified because he believed his partner's life was in danger.

Former Balch Springs officer Roy Oliver said in Tuesday's federal court filing that he and his partner were in fear for their lives in April when the car carrying the teens sped past them. Oliver contends he was startled when he heard breaking glass and believed his partner was under threat.

https://apnews.com/e69a1f5e06654ac3...utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APCentralRegion

The shooting happened as the officers were responding to a report of drunken teens at a party. They had entered the home where the party was being held when the officers heard rapid gunfire outside. They ran outside to find cars leaving, including the one carrying Edwards. The driver of the sedan in which Edwards was a passenger disregarded several orders to stop, precipitating the shooting, Oliver said in court records, filed in response to a wrongful death lawsuit brought by Edwards’ family.

Oliver maintains the use of force “was a reasonable response to a reasonable perception that the actions of the occupants of the black car under the totality of the circumstances created an immediate risk to another person of death or serious bodily injury.”

I guess the question is, was the partner anywhere near the path of the car where he could potentially be run over by the fleeing vehicle?

Just remember that they initially said the car was reversing into them when they were blind firing into the vehicle,, got caught out and had to later state that the car was moving away from them.

Therefore, fuck everything these liars say.

So the car had already passed them, he heard glass breaking, then decided to shoot a car that was nowhere near them?

That's murder dumbass.

If we are to take the officer version of events seriously every time these tragic murders occur, we can be left with no other conclusion: Police officers are cowards and inherently unfit for the position in society they hold.

So, this is the official response that the Police Union tells the former/officers will keep them out of prison?

I think Police Officers shouldn't be unionized, even more so if that is the case.

BriGuy

Every cop fears for his life, hence, none of them can do wrong. Ever.
Seems that way. You'd think there would be some test in place to gauge these guys' mettle before handing them a gun and a license to kill. If they're the type to turn around and empty a clip into their own shadow, maybe don't give them a badge?

"Belief" shouldn't be justification. They whole system needs to be rebooted, and a lot of these dumbass "thugs behind badges" need their asses canned. We need a system that hires the best of the best, turns away those who are trigger happy, makes examples of those who are corrupt, encourages positive relationships with the communities they serve, and dedicate their lives to the justice and the protection of the good people of our country over covering the asses of other police officers that have done wrong. Big change is needed indeed!!

Spladam

The dude is not going to say otherwise folks, he's trying to keep his job and not go to jail for murder. Telling the truth is not in his best interest, let us not be naive.

The dude is not going to say otherwise folks, he's trying to keep his job and not go to jail for murder. Telling the truth is not in his best interest, let us not be naive.

cfd3b905db1cd322d2db99c3f716105d.png

13ruce

Banned
As i said many times it's time for a reformation/reboot for the american police corps country wide. Sadly with Trump on the helm i don't see the us government do that anytime soon.

Pretty pathetic these kind of killings by cops still happen. Why always so trigger happy? Shooting should be used as a last resort in real dire situations, not whenever they feel a bit of so called fear or just feel like shootin.

While i know the job can be stressfull a good cop does not shoot first and ask questions later, they try to fix/solve it without shooting or deaths they only use their gun as a last resort in life threatening situations.

A shame that the guy is probably just getting fired nothing more he deserves jail time he made an awfull decision and it cost someones life. Humans normally go to jail for murder but as a cop you are save i guess?

It also seems alot of the cop killings are sadly black people so it seems there are quite some xenophobic/racistic cops around wich is very sad imo. The entry rules really need to be ramped up but how do you check if someone is xenophobic or racistic tho? People can scam/lie with mental tests sadly and pass em.

Aphexian

I don't see the need for the reaction image. This cop is in self-preservation mode with only his partner as a witness. It's pretty much the cop's words, "America's Heroes", against everyone else. The justice system will fail us this time like it has in the past and will do so in the future.

Top Bottom