• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria cancelled on Stadia as Google bans the developer for no apparently no reason

It's actually terrifying that Google's dumb AI can nuke everything of yours without even giving a reason, then you spend weeks following up and not getting anywhere. Most of us probably know how stupid their AI is based on how it behaves on YouTube.

Email should be a protected essential service by law. Time for me to put a real backup plan in place and start moving away from Gmail. Losing access to my primary email would be completely devastating.

A.Romero

Businesses getting locked out of their decade-old work business gmail account, or out of their developer account (for Android apps developing and publishing) is something that regularly happens. Only most high-profile cases get noticed and, eventually, resolved.

I, too, am not sure how this is legal. And even if it is, there's clearly an abuse of power at play.

It is legal. For better or worse.

They have ToS and apparently Google's systems found the account infringing on them somehow. Google's free services are not supposed to be used for businesses, they have a paid product to use Google Apps for businesses but I don't know if these guys are actually paying for that. As far as I know, if you are a paying customer you do have other ways to get in touch with Google through a partner (the one that sold and implemented the service).

The best practice is to have your personal account separated from the business account. Even if you are the owner. Regretfully, IT professionals are learning these lessons the hard way because of the explosive growth of SaaS in the last decades. It sounds like common sense but is one of the many things it's hard to imagine when you are starting a business or a service. After a while you are just to invested and the switch seems to be too much effort.

That said, Google is shit for customer service. I remember a few years ago trying to get in touch with customer service to get some questions answered about Google Drive (I signed up for a paid plan). I got to talk to someone and it took me a while to realize I was speaking to a robot. It was impressive to be honest. It was before the whole customer service robot industry exploded. Of course it was not helpful at all so I closed the account, signed up for Microsoft's service (much better value) and never looked back.

So I guess the lessons here are:

- Avoid using free services from huge companies like Google for serious business transactions
- If you must, use a different account separated from your personal account
- Don't release your games on Stadia

longdi

Banned
Don't even try to play this crap.

What happened to Jack Ma was obscene

no that is incorrect.
if you just read the western media, you would think it was just petty CCP bullying an entrepreneur. the western media basically jump the gun and framed it as if CCP was offended being called 'ancient' with their pawn shop practices.

The truth is that the CCP was quick to spot out the dangers of extending easy credit without collaterals(pawning), all the borrowers needed was to register with alibaba ant all their personal information.
sounds eerily similar to what happened to this google user in OP. :messenger_face_screaming:

and CCP knows easy credit is harmful for the population under them.
Sure they may lose out on a few true mavericks and innovators who can use the credit, but in general, they know their own Chinese citizens' flaws.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

no that is incorrect.
if you just read the western media, you would think it was just petty CCP bullying an entrepreneur. the western media basically jump the gun and framed it as if CCP was offended being called 'ancient' with their pawn shop practices.

The truth is that the CCP was quick to spot out the dangers of extending easy credit without collaterals(pawning), all the borrowers needed was to register with alibaba ant all their personal information.
sounds eerily similar to what happened to this google user in OP. :messenger_face_screaming:

and CCP knows easy credit is harmful for the population under them.
Sure they may lose out on a few true mavericks and innovators who can use the credit, but in general, they know their own Chinese citizens' flaws.
Seriously, are you paid for this crap? "Bullying"? That's what you call it.

How does any of this justify how Jack Ma was treated?

longdi

Banned
Seriously, are you paid for this crap? "Bullying"? That's what you call it.

How does any of this justify how Jack Ma was treated?

but how was he treated? he seems fine lately. alibaba shares are recovering. ant ipo will go ahead. 🤷‍♀️

the 'bullying' is just the narrative you got from western media.

Last edited:

Miles708

anyone have a write up on how to get a custom mail domain?
It's a mess. If your domain is new, you go to the spam folder by default. Managing reputation and spam is an exercise in controlled madness. Spf, dkim, dmarc... it's a mess.

But I also hate managing these things so maybe you could have more luck than me. I'd say, find a decent hosting service and avoid managing in-house if you don't know what you're doing.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You have an iphone?
Windows, but I am going to break down and buy an iPhone soon, my Lumia is ancient, been dropped and drowned WAY too many times and sound quality sucks. I'd get a camera phone before I'd have android.

Xenon

I feel for this guy and I hope he gets this resolved. There should be some kind of recorse even if it's a "free" service. That said...

Threatening to not publish a game on Stadia is like threatening Trump by saying you won't like any of his tweets.

bender

What time is it?
three-laws-of-robotics-the-laws-1200x675.jpg

See, there is no problem in letting robots handle everything, we are in good hands.

I love Google and welcome their oversight on speech, it will make the world a better and safer place. 😭

Please don't cancel my account.

72nd-1590093584.gif

So has there been any response from Google? I wouldn't be surprised if not. Google won't do anything unless you are some big name like Markplier, even then that seems to be a 50/50

Last edited:

thief183

I totally detached from google during the last year, the real problems are 2, installing apps on the phone (I mean for me is not a big deal but for normal ppl might be), and the maps, since android doesn't let you use bing maps...

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I totally detached from google during the last year, the real problems are 2, installing apps on the phone (I mean for me is not a big deal but for normal ppl might be), and the maps, since android doesn't let you use bing maps...
I'm going to do the same. Android is so closed now and just loves invading your privacy

Miles708

Here maps works fairly well offline, but I'm not sure about their privacy policies

Vae_Victis

Banned
I could be talking out my ass on this but....

Wouldn't banning our email like that be in some way illegal?
Here me out....

If you have all your bills, accounts and contact information linked to the account that you agreed apon with T@S. Wouldn't that cause severe issues with your homelike activity.
More to the point though. What happens if that is your work or business email?
Google would effectively be stopping you from receiving a wage or income which i'm not sure if an outside company has the right to do?
When you open a Google account, you accept Google's TOS. Those TOS can't overwrite the law, but apart from that, you accept to adhere to what is in there.

Google's TOS, like 99% of all TOS, probably say that they have the right to terminate your account at any time, for any reason and without having to give you reasoning or advance notice. They will also most likely specify that if you use your Google account as a part of private/work activities, Google has no responsibility for any damage caused to such activities as a consequence of issues with or termination of your account.

In short: you have zero rights but those explicitly stated in a code of law, they have all the rest. If you chose to use Google for a business venue you knew in advance your account could be terminated and accepted the risk of that. It's not Google stealing your paycheck (which would be a crime by law), it's Google exercising its stated right to terminate your Google account, to which you consented beforehand, and all that derives from that is your problem.

Shaukdotdj

Google just did similar shit to my primary account of almost 20 years with them while I was away from home. Hours exchanging emails and using live chat and they couldn't do anhthing to help me.

Every time I tried to log in using the correct password it would be like "hey we want to make sure it's you" then ask me for a backup code. For whatever reason the ones I had were all like 8 digits and the one they were asking for was 6,or vice versa I don't remember at this point. But sure enough being locked out of my entire phone's Google account while I'm away for a weekend was so frustrating as it wouldn't even let Google maps work.

Soon as I got home and logged in with a laptop everything was fine. So I changed all the backup info and contact stuff/2fa to be accessible while I'm away from home now.

Still entirely stupid cuz had my last known device been one I didn't own or was reformatted or something I would have lost 20 years of internet history. Medical correspondence, receipts for large purchases. Just lots of important stuff man.

Vae_Victis

Banned
For all the people (legitimately) worried about losing your email history, know that you can backup any and all the data connected to your Google account including Gmail. All you have to do is use a specific tool Google provides specifically for that, called Takeout, that you can find here: https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout

I do that about once a year and keep two local copies of everything, one in my PC and one in an external drive.

Lickety

Neo Member
Google's dumb AI can nuke everything of yours without even giving a reason, then you spend weeks following up and not getting anywhere.
When I used Bing for the sake of Bing Rewards my point balance and access to the service got nuked completely unwarranted. Don't know why, and despite asking twice I was never told why except for that I "violated terms of service".

When they merged their two separate reward services into one (which is now Microsoft Rewards) I'm assuming they forgot to transfer over bans. As of right now apparently that suspension of service never happened, and I'm freely able to use their rewards again for some reason.

As of right now, I just alternate between duckduckgo and google. Although that doesn't matter too much considering I use bookmarks and direct URLs most of the time.

The moral of the story is that big tech can screw you over at any moment without any notice.

Last edited:

Lickety

Neo Member
I can't believe they made me hope for more regulations.
Considering google also nuked their digital music store to migrate a streaming only service, so that they can milk their customers for subscription money. I wouldn't get your hopes up :-(

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

GOOGLE ACCOUNT/STADIA UPDATE

As you may have noticed, we had a ton of issues to kick off the year stemming from the locking-down of Redigit's entire Google account in early January. After a month of pushing (and with the immense support of our fans), Google finally reached out and was able to provide a lot of transparency around the situation and to restore access to all of our accounts. Due to the hard work the Stadia team has put in - as well as our partners at 505 Games - we have decided that we will allow the upcoming launch Terraria on Google Stadia to proceed. The Terraria Stadia build is based on the DR Studios 1.4.0.5 (latest) build, and is currently at Google for certification review.

mitchman

Gold Member
Nice for them, but for the rest of us, we're still fucked if Google decide to close an account due to arbitrary reasons. Why would anyone ever buy anything on Stadia when their account can be closed with no given reason?

Top Bottom