• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria cancelled on Stadia as Google bans the developer for no apparently no reason

Google at this point, is already using machines to make decisions. One could argue they have no choice, they can't hire enough humans to do the same job.
The issue is that the same AI that cause issues, are the same AI that determines if complaints should be looked at. So inadvertently Google created a system when an AI would just defend its own actions by never actually undo anything it done and never report an error. And your only cause of action is to be someone famous and cause a PR nightmare online.

... But in this case, it goes one step further. It has now caused them to lose an actual business partner. And all because Google decided that customers do not ever need to speak to a real human. How are we suppose to report bad AI when that same bad AI is responsible for handling the complaint? That could almost be a sort of abuse of power if it was in any way sentient.

Miles708

Good. It's ridiculous that everything tied to your Google account can be removed just like that. Doesn't seem like they even gave him a reason why.
Most likely they even don't know the reason why.
You can find all kinds of horror stories online, even relatives of Google workers have had their account blocked with no human recourse or fix, even when having contacts inside Google.

Edit: source

I guess that happens when you're too big to care or notice, and when your organization is comprised mostly of siloed asocial engineers.

Last edited:

geary

So the personal google account of the CEO of a company is disabled and the next thing he does is that company he runs, a legal entity, will not do business with an entire other branch of Google which has nothing to do with what happen to the individual Andrew Spinks....Talk about professionalism and business management...

Does anyone know what the hell prompted the ban? Why on earth would they shit on someone bringing content to their flailing game streaming service?

My initial reaction to this was just a simple "yet another reason why I'm happy to not be invested in any of the social media/online ecosystems to any great degree." I haven't purchased a fucking thing from Google and likely never will. It's been enough of a stretch for me to go digital for roughly half or so of my console game purchases on XBL/PSN, and that makes me uneasy enough. There's exactly zero chance I'll invest in a movie collection on Google or any other online digital store. I have a large 4K UHD collection and am sticking to that as long as possible. And, on a related note, this kinda shit is exactly why so many people find ways to justify torrents...🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Miles708

So the personal google account of the CEO of a company is disabled and the next thing he does is that company he runs, a legal entity, will not do business with an entire other branch of Google which has nothing to do with what happen to the individual Andrew Spinks....Talk about professionalism and business management...
Lost access to the Terraria YouTube channel too.
He's clearly mad, but that also highlights how much Google values you as a business partner.

The point is: if even a business partner can't have absolutely basic support over a complete and sudden ban, what confidence you might possibly have to make good business with them?

Last edited:

Tommi84

It's not like he didn't want to solve the issue before. But apparently, google didn't help for the past 3 weeks. Yeah, I call it a 'rubbish customer service' and I agree with him, cutting business relationship with the company

geary

If is the business account, you know there are persons of contact to keep relationships smooth. Also, is like saying that because the MS account is disabled, i wont use Linkedin anymore or not using Windows anymore....Separate branch of a conglomerate...

Soodanim

If only you knew just how much personal relationships make or break business relationships. Google may have many branches, but it’s still the same tree. Terraria was in Steam’s top 10 played when the concurrent user record was broken, so it would have been a nice win for Stadia to have it.

lyan

The CEO of a company is refusing to partner with a business that failed to provide customer service meeting his standard to act as the endpoint to his ultimate customers, that is actual professionalism and business management.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Shitty if they gave him no warning or idea of infringement. I know from experience for things like copyright infringements in Google Play that they give you an amount of time to fix any issues and re-submit the app. But no warnings seems very harsh, and no idea as to which aspect of Google's many platforms he supposedly violated is even more so.

He's learnt the hard way that you should never use your personal Google account for business.

Fbh

Good on him.
I fucking hate these AI customers services. I work with a local equivalent of Amazon and when you have an issue it's literally impossible to talk to a human. Everything from their phone to their social media and contact form is handled by AI's with automated answers for their most common issues. If your issue isn't one they think is common enough then too fucking bad.

It's also crazy they removed access to stuff like media an apps he has bought.

Last edited:
Yup, I should definitely reduce my dependance on Google services.

Email is not bad (it needs to go through a third party anyway)... But single sign-on, bookmarks, storage (I moved away from Google drive a while ago), my phone, notes in keep, contacts, YouTube,etc.

I'll recover faster if I lose my wallet than if I lose my google account.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Google can remove your access to your years long email account, drive files, play purchases and whatnot just by saying the wrong thing in a YouTube video comments section. It has happened and I see it's becoming more frequent by the time passes.

This definitely puts everyone in alert.

Rikkori

Story #infinity of why you should not buy into these apps, and why you should insist on buying things that are DRM-free, if you can help it. Particularly buying movies on these platforms is the height of foolishness as they're known to take them down and deny you access. Why risk it?! Get yourself a NAS. ;)

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
How are we suppose to report bad AI when that same bad AI is responsible for handling the complaint? That could almost be a sort of abuse of power if it was in any way sentient.
You are not supposed to report it - in the minds of Silicon Valley futurists a machine can do no harm, which is why everyone is pushing towards automation and as little human interaction as possible. Also, you do not need to pay machines and they work 24/7.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
it's scary how much powers corporate America has over citizens. guess thats why jack ma got taken down a notch asap
You forgot that's ok, even users here wants to small government, which is limp dicked againts corporations. Look at the Nevada bill:

Crazy

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah it's bad. There are so many horror stories around Google's practical monopoly where people have lost decades of important data, it sure has made me very nervous. Especially since Google went full woke. Amongst way too many Google services I've had a gmail account FOREVER, and I have some of the most important communications in my life stored there. And not to mention Google Photos.......... And Google can take it all away on a ridiculous whim and a simple click..

So lately I've been doing some research to find the best ways to get rid of my Google chains. I've come to the conclusion that I have to start with ProtonMail. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah it's bad. There are so many horror stories around Google's practical monopoly where people have lost decades of important data, it sure has made me very nervous. Especially since Google went full woke. Amongst way too many Google services I've had a gmail account FOREVER, and I have some of the most important communications in my life stored there. And not to mention Google Photos.......... And Google can take it all away on a ridiculous whim and a simple click..

So lately I've been doing some research to find the best ways to get rid of my Google chains. I've come to the conclusion that I have to start with ProtonMail. Any other suggestions?
You should still be able to get all the data from a banned account with a GDPR data request (if you live in Europe). As for email, I use Fastmail, it's great.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

Google sucks, but this is true.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Me:

Gmail: Check
Google search: Check

Onedrive, Google videos and other digital files, and whatever other shit they make: Nope

Trogdor1123

If you do something on one of their services they don't like they can deny you access to your work ( YouTube) and the stuff you have bought?! That can't be legal

JCK75

The biggest issue with google is how much hiring is based on box checking and not on ability or even a desire to deliver quality, it's like 20% work on actual products and 80% activism..
Terraria only offers options for two genders, they had to know this was problematic.

Banned

uhm. would you want to do business with a company after you yourself felt what can easily happen to the account you bought your games with?

your Stadia account is tied to your google account. this means if you get a random ban on any other google service your whole game library is gone.

it doesn't matter that it was a different branch of google. all Google service are interlinked

Banjo64

cumsessed
Utter tosh. It’s his prerogative to release his game where pleases. If he doesn’t like Google’s overarching practices, he can tell them to get fucked as a whole.

uhm. would you want to do business with a company after you yourself felt what can easily happen to the account you bought your games with?

your Stadia account is tied to your google account. this means if you get a random ban on any other google service your whole game library is gone.

it doesn't matter that it was a different branch of google. all Google service are interlinked
There will always be people who will stand up for the poor struggling small hole in the wall business Google.

Just ignore the fact that if a business partner can't be assed to help you out then why keep that bridge?

Last edited:
You are not supposed to report it - in the minds of Silicon Valley futurists a machine can do no harm, which is why everyone is pushing towards automation and as little human interaction as possible. Also, you do not need to pay machines and they work 24/7.
three-laws-of-robotics-the-laws-1200x675.jpg

See, there is no problem in letting robots handle everything, we are in good hands.

I love Google and welcome their oversight on speech, it will make the world a better and safer place. 😭

Please don't cancel my account.

Last edited:

Miles708

I, too , have heard good things if fastmail, but I never used it.
If you need, Google at least gives you a tool to take your data, I'm not sure if only for gmail:

Edit: welp, no idea why the Arab characters on the link, lmao. Google still wreaking havoc

Last edited:

Yep. Build your own mail server. It's not hard (seriously, there are a thousand and one "how-tos" online).

Control your data, mate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom