• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent is Reportedly Trying to Buy Crytek

Crytek is worth maybe 50 million USD, or not even that.
They have their own original IPs and game engine, also studios in 3 different locations
They're worth more than Insomnica for example who were bought mainly for their talent and game developers.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I sometimes why a company like MS doesn't do such small investments and rather prefer acquisitions while Tencent or Sony do both.
Yeah it would be preferable, however in this case it's clear why Tencent do it, since some fork of Arma is used for military training. Arma is basically Operation Flashpoint v. 2+

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Is Crytek worth anything near $300M though?
Especially now that Amazon made their CryEngine's fork Lumberyard completely free and open source?

Of course, if this is true I have little doubt the Yerli brothers will happily sell it for that amount. Just 4 years ago they couldn't even pay their employees' salaries and were begging for investment everywhere..
I find it hard to believe Hunt Showdown and Crysis Remastered made them enough money to pay off those debts.

Top Bottom